How Can 'Truth' Be Established?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
JackDaydream

Re: How Can 'Truth' Be Established?

Post by JackDaydream »

Atla wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:53 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm
Atla wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:32 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:20 pm

I certainly would not wish to rule out Eastern philosophy or Plato. The concept of awakening in conjunction or contrast to the brutality of the Occam's Razor make philosophy a knife edge of exploration, with the fine tuning of logic and the search for meaning, understanding and even transformation of consciousness.
The razor says that Western philosophy is probably wrong, Eastern dualistic philosophies are also probably wrong, and Eastern nondualism is probably correct. So the razor says that the Eastern kind of "awakening" is real, part of the real deal philosophy, probably.

So a form of "mysticism" turns out to be the most rational philosophy, probably. That's a bit hilarious I think.

And then after we did all that, spent a few years going to the awakening process, reinterpreting all philosophy, all existence etc., that's where philosophy really takes off imo. Because the biggest question is yet to be addressed using speculative philosophy, using the razor.
An interesting answer; does it mean that all philosophy has an an aspect of fantasy? Some people continue to live on the basis of mundane reality. Others may reach for the heights in terms of 'awakening' and understanding. The mystics point to the limits of words in trying to understand the unknown. In some ways, it is amazing that philosophy is able to understand as much as it does, especially causality. There is the methodology of empirical science, as well as the logic of conceptual thinking. It is interesting to see how the razor can cut through the knots of speculative philosophy in a way which has a basis in empiricism and rationality, in order to address the idea of 'truth' in a way which goes beyond psychological needs for understanding.
Wouldn't call it fantasy. It's quite the opposite actually: everyone in the Western world is living a misguided fantasy about the nature of themselves. They all have the same fantasy so they don't notice.

I guess we could also call it an often useful, often romantic, often debilitating mass psychosis.

Awakening is when this fantasy breaks apart, and people realize their true nature (or lack thereof). And that's the first time when they see existence as it actually is.
When you suggest that everyone is living a fantasy and that is probably about how we construct stories about our lives. These stories or mythic narratives may be the way we choose to frame what happens and who we are, and read significance into aspects. It can become distorted and more grand at times, especially with the ego's wish to triumph or it can fall apart due to low mood or harsh aspects of 'truth'. It may be that psychosis, with its delusions and hallucinatory aspects is this process of autobiographical narratives gone haywire.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:43 am
Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:41 am ...looks like you can't use the probabilistic thinking of the right hemisphere at all.
Oh. I try not to allow myself to get too immersed in probabilistic thinking, as it has long been an enthusiasm of mine. Whenever I see a binary statement - - "it's either black or it's white!" - it calls out to me: "what about maybe?" - or in this case, "what about grey?" Bayesian stuff is interesting too. Some claim it helps to justify things that have always been considered unjustifiable...

The drawback with probabilities is when we try to apply probability and statistics when we have no justification at all for even guessing at a particular probability. We assume it's 'likely' (or unlikely) because we believe it is, usually without any justification at all. <shrug> <baffled>
The razor is correct well over 50% of the time so is justified
True philosophy points to the Moon
Atla

Post by Atla »

JackDaydream wrote: June 30th, 2022, 10:26 am
Atla wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:32 pm
The razor says that Western philosophy is probably wrong, Eastern dualistic philosophies are also probably wrong, and Eastern nondualism is probably correct. So the razor says that the Eastern kind of "awakening" is real, part of the real deal philosophy, probably.

So a form of "mysticism" turns out to be the most rational philosophy, probably. That's a bit hilarious I think.

And then after we did all that, spent a few years going to the awakening process, reinterpreting all philosophy, all existence etc., that's where philosophy really takes off imo. Because the biggest question is yet to be addressed using speculative philosophy, using the razor.
An interesting answer; does it mean that all philosophy has an an aspect of fantasy? Some people continue to live on the basis of mundane reality. Others may reach for the heights in terms of 'awakening' and understanding. The mystics point to the limits of words in trying to understand the unknown. In some ways, it is amazing that philosophy is able to understand as much as it does, especially causality. There is the methodology of empirical science, as well as the logic of conceptual thinking. It is interesting to see how the razor can cut through the knots of speculative philosophy in a way which has a basis in empiricism and rationality, in order to address the idea of 'truth' in a way which goes beyond psychological needs for understanding.
Wouldn't call it fantasy. It's quite the opposite actually: everyone in the Western world is living a misguided fantasy about the nature of themselves. They all have the same fantasy so they don't notice.

I guess we could also call it an often useful, often romantic, often debilitating mass psychosis.

Awakening is when this fantasy breaks apart, and people realize their true nature (or lack thereof). And that's the first time when they see existence as it actually is.
When you suggest that everyone is living a fantasy and that is probably about how we construct stories about our lives. These stories or mythic narratives may be the way we choose to frame what happens and who we are, and read significance into aspects. It can become distorted and more grand at times, especially with the ego's wish to triumph or it can fall apart due to low mood or harsh aspects of 'truth'. It may be that psychosis, with its delusions and hallucinatory aspects is this process of autobiographical narratives gone haywire.
I think you leave too many possibilities too open about everything, which is much worse then relative certainty about most things. We need to apply probabilities to everything.

For example the awakening is a very specific realization, but Westerners don't know on a conscious level what it is about, but they sense that there is something to it. So they are intrigued by Eastern philosophy, and by unusual insights claimed by people who experienced unusual states of mind, and intrigued by schizophrenics, and even by the Matrix movies etc
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 8:41 am ...looks like you can't use the probabilistic thinking of the right hemisphere at all.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:43 am Oh. I try not to allow myself to get too immersed in probabilistic thinking, as it has long been an enthusiasm of mine. Whenever I see a binary statement - - "it's either black or it's white!" - it calls out to me: "what about maybe?" - or in this case, "what about grey?" Bayesian stuff is interesting too. Some claim it helps to justify things that have always been considered unjustifiable...

The drawback with probabilities is when we try to apply probability and statistics when we have no justification at all for even guessing at a particular probability. We assume it's 'likely' (or unlikely) because we believe it is, usually without any justification at all. <shrug> <baffled>
Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:48 am The razor is correct well over 50% of the time so is justified
Yes, that's the only standard to which a rule of thumb can be held. But I wonder if there is evidence that it is correct "well over 50% of the time"? I think not, although I also think the Razor is right often enough to be useful, but this is just my feeling; I have not verified it. Have you? Let's remember how many 'old wives tales' were used for centuries before being debunked.

We believe and hope that the Razor is "correct well over 50% of the time", but I don't think it has been investigated, and it has not been proven to work. If it had, it would no longer be a rule of thumb, it would be more authoritative than that. But it isn't, as far as I can determine. You? 🤔

However, it is also true that there have been more than one case and/or scientific explanation in which the most accurate explanation appeared to be the more complex one. As a result, some scholars, philosophers, novelists, etc. have come up with “anti-razors” to balance out Occam’s Razor. Among them are:

Hickam’s Dictum — “Patients can have as many diseases as they damn well please”. This anti-razor is used to warn physicians that it is quite possible for a patient to have multiple diseases at the same time, and that symptoms need not be ascribed to a single disease process.

Chatton’s Anti-Razor — A contemporary of Occam, he said, “If three things are not enough to verify an affirmative proposition about things, a fourth must be added, and so on.” This was to caution against making simplicity into more than a helpful principle. The caution here is to not be afraid to look at more complex explanations. Simplicity is not a requirement, just the best method.

Law Against Miserliness — “Entities must not be reduced to the point of inadequacy” and “It is vain to do with fewer what requires more.” — Karl Menger. This is a caution, particularly for scientists, against trying to aggregate too much data under a particular principle, otherwise you can lose explanatory power.

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” — Sherlock Holmes. This is a caution that while you can use methods such as Occam’s Razor in order to lower the number of possible explanations, you must never so use the Razor that it prevents you from positing what is “true.”

In other words, the anti-razors are most often warnings to scientists, mathematicians, and secularists, against the dangers of over-simplifying the data to the point where they actually misunderstand what is the actual explanation of the data or the events.
Above quote taken from here.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Atla

Post by Atla »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:43 am Oh. I try not to allow myself to get too immersed in probabilistic thinking, as it has long been an enthusiasm of mine. Whenever I see a binary statement - - "it's either black or it's white!" - it calls out to me: "what about maybe?" - or in this case, "what about grey?" Bayesian stuff is interesting too. Some claim it helps to justify things that have always been considered unjustifiable...

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:48 am The razor is correct well over 50% of the time so is justified
Yes, that's the only standard to which a rule of thumb can be held. But I wonder if there is evidence that it is correct "well over 50% of the time"? I think not, although I also think the Razor is right often enough to be useful, but this is just my feeling; I have not verified it. Have you? Let's remember how many 'old wives tales' were used for centuries before being debunked.

We believe and hope that the Razor is "correct well over 50% of the time", but I don't think it has been investigated, and it has not been proven to work. If it had, it would no longer be a rule of thumb, it would be more authoritative than that. But it isn't, as far as I can determine. You? 🤔

However, it is also true that there have been more than one case and/or scientific explanation in which the most accurate explanation appeared to be the more complex one. As a result, some scholars, philosophers, novelists, etc. have come up with “anti-razors” to balance out Occam’s Razor. Among them are:

Hickam’s Dictum — “Patients can have as many diseases as they damn well please”. This anti-razor is used to warn physicians that it is quite possible for a patient to have multiple diseases at the same time, and that symptoms need not be ascribed to a single disease process.

Chatton’s Anti-Razor — A contemporary of Occam, he said, “If three things are not enough to verify an affirmative proposition about things, a fourth must be added, and so on.” This was to caution against making simplicity into more than a helpful principle. The caution here is to not be afraid to look at more complex explanations. Simplicity is not a requirement, just the best method.

Law Against Miserliness — “Entities must not be reduced to the point of inadequacy” and “It is vain to do with fewer what requires more.” — Karl Menger. This is a caution, particularly for scientists, against trying to aggregate too much data under a particular principle, otherwise you can lose explanatory power.

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” — Sherlock Holmes. This is a caution that while you can use methods such as Occam’s Razor in order to lower the number of possible explanations, you must never so use the Razor that it prevents you from positing what is “true.”

In other words, the anti-razors are most often warnings to scientists, mathematicians, and secularists, against the dangers of over-simplifying the data to the point where they actually misunderstand what is the actual explanation of the data or the events.
Above quote taken from here.
Again, everything in everyday life and science and everything, confirms that the razor is usually correct.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm I think you leave too many possibilities too open about everything, which is much worse than relative certainty about most things.
Possibilities that cannot be chased into a valid and justified conclusion must be set aside to await further information (evidence). That is what logic dictates. So leaving "too many possibilities too open about everything" is logical. More: it is the only logically-acceptable path available to follow.

To have confidence in things based on guesswork surely cannot be better than acting logically, and withholding judgement when there is no valid way to reach any conclusion? I suggest that "relative certainty" — which has nothing at all to do with certainty — is the choice that is to be avoided wherever possible, as it is clearly and obviously inferior to a logical approach.

To reach a conclusion based on nothing but guesswork is illogical.

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm We need to apply probabilities to everything.
Why?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:20 pm Again, everything in everyday life and science and everything, confirms that the razor is usually correct.
OK: Please cite where and how this has been confirmed.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Atla

Post by Atla »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:23 pm
Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm I think you leave too many possibilities too open about everything, which is much worse than relative certainty about most things.
Possibilities that cannot be chased into a valid and justified conclusion must be set aside to await further information (evidence). That is what logic dictates. So leaving "too many possibilities too open about everything" is logical. More: it is the only logically-acceptable path available to follow.

To have confidence in things based on guesswork surely cannot be better than acting logically, and withholding judgement when there is no valid way to reach any conclusion? I suggest that "relative certainty" — which has nothing at all to do with certainty — is the choice that is to be avoided wherever possible, as it is clearly and obviously inferior to a logical approach.

To reach a conclusion based on nothing but guesswork is illogical.

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm We need to apply probabilities to everything.
Why?
There are an infinite amount of logical explanations for anything. Nor is the world necessary logical.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:24 pm
Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:20 pm Again, everything in everyday life and science and everything, confirms that the razor is usually correct.
OK: Please cite where and how this has been confirmed.
LOL please cite how it was not confirmed.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 30th, 2022, 10:26 am

I think you leave too many possibilities too open about everything, which is much worse then relative certainty about most things. We need to apply probabilities to everything.

For example the awakening is a very specific realization, but Westerners don't know on a conscious level what it is about, but they sense that there is something to it. So they are intrigued by Eastern philosophy, and by unusual insights claimed by people who experienced unusual states of mind, and intrigued by schizophrenics, and even by the Matrix movies etc
The more I try to think what is likely to happen in life, the more something else other than the various ones which I imagined, which is why I find Taleb's book, 'The Black Swan'. Of course, it is useful to think of the various outcomes of specific actions and events and, be prepared for the worst. It may say something about the nature of causality, when thinking of event scenarios, and even how human intentionality comes in, possibly the role of the subconscious. What the Eastern thinkers do speak of is the law of karma, which is the law of cause and effect, or, 'As you sow, so shall you reap'. Sometimes this is taken to mean some kind of inherent retributive law like 'reward and punishment', but it may be rather different from that, but more complex than many Westerners, especially materialist determinists, understand it to be.

It does seem that people are fascinated by those who see life differently, including Eastern mystics, who seek or lead lives based on the idea of enlightenment. The schizophrenics and those with other mental illnesses may be revered in some ways, like William Blake and Vincent Van Gogh. The book which I find fascinating is Colin Wilson's, 'The Outsider', in which he looks at creative outsiders and he speaks of how they may see 'truth' in an unusual way. Nevertheless, there is a lot of stigma towards those with mental health difficulties and so much fear, which may be partly generated by the way the media portray stereotypes of those who viewed as dangerous, who are probably only a small proportion.
Atla

Post by Atla »

We use the razor for everything all the time in life and call the result consensus reality. I'm genuinely tired of arguing with people who don't see this so I'll stop here.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:42 pm We use the razor for everything all the time in life and call the result consensus reality. I'm genuinely tired of arguing with people who don't see this so I'll stop here.
It may be that people use some kind of similar basis to the razor on some level, even if they have not heard of the philosophical concept. It may be like some way of filtering what is important or eliminating 'noise' within information. Probably most people can think of people; who in telling stories go into so much irrelevant details and how people switch off and get impatient whilst listening. Michael Polyani's idea of tacit knowledge may be related because he speaks of a gestalt approach of seeing. It may also be intuitive because the subconscious may know what it needs to know and the art of judgment is often necessary on a moment to moment basis, especially as daily life involves making instant decisions in some circumstances.
Atla

Post by Atla »

JackDaydream wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:53 pm
Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:42 pm We use the razor for everything all the time in life and call the result consensus reality. I'm genuinely tired of arguing with people who don't see this so I'll stop here.
It may be that people use some kind of similar basis to the razor on some level, even if they have not heard of the philosophical concept. It may be like some way of filtering what is important or eliminating 'noise' within information. Probably most people can think of people; who in telling stories go into so much irrelevant details and how people switch off and get impatient whilst listening. Michael Polyani's idea of tacit knowledge may be related because he speaks of a gestalt approach of seeing. It may also be intuitive because the subconscious may know what it needs to know and the art of judgment is often necessary on a moment to moment basis, especially as daily life involves making instant decisions in some circumstances.
Without the razor I couldn't even pick my nose, there would be infinite interpretations of what is happening and infinite courses of action to take.

The razor is there, ALWAYS in human thinking. It's so universal that most people don't notice it
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Atla wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:58 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:53 pm
Without the razor I couldn't even pick my nose, there would be infinite interpretations of what is happening and infinite courses of action to take.

The razor is there, ALWAYS in human thinking. It's so universal that most people don't notice it
One idea which I have come across in psychiatry is that in psychotic illness one aspect of the problem people experience is of not being able to focus and filter out the irrelevant details or patterns.

Within thinking, there is a stream of thoughts and some may be more significant and some as hardly worth following. This also applies to images which come into consciousness because it could be a situation of being overwhelmed and following pointless patterns as opposed to developing clarity of perception and thought. The 'voices' which people actually HEAR may be about being overwhelmed and led by the stray intrusions of thought, although chemical imbalances of the neurotransmitters may come into it. Generally, though, the ability to filter out thoughts may be like some kind of biological razor device in mental processes, like some kind of compass for grasping tacit truth.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream