What is a Woman

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Consul

Re: What is a Woman

Post by Consul »

JackDaydream wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:07 pmYour ideas of human identity are so theoretical and I feel that you miss is the way people feel about their bodies..Identity may not be about the conceptual analysis of having a certain mind or body, but about the narrative sense of self esteem and happiness or lack of happiness with the body and how one is perceived. This may where sexuality comes into gender identity, with the body being central as a basis for relating to other persons.

It may not be about being gay or straight, because transman and transwomen present with various sexual orientations. However; the sense of ease or lack of ease may be such that the essential expression of self is uncomfortable. A sense of being a woman or a man may be about the central expression of a sense of authenticity of identity, bodily, sexually and with an authentic sense of self.
I fully acknowledge the mental reality of transsexuality as a state of dysphoria regarding one's sex, and the psychosocial problems resulting therefrom.

What exactly is "a sense of being a woman or a man", an inner sense of womanhood/femaleness or manhood/maleness? Is there really such a thing? Is that "inner sense" supposed to be a kind of emotion or a kind of introspective perception or cognition?

You can innerly (introspectively) perceive yourself (and correspondingly interpret your appearance and behavior) as feminine/masculine, non-feminine/non-masculine, or (not) very feminine/masculine, but I doubt that you can innerly (introspectively) perceive that you are female or male, i.e. just by looking into your mind or consciousness. This is not to say that there aren't any introspectable sex-specific bodily sensations such as how it feels for a man to have an erection; but these aren't the primary source of your knowledge of your sex. I knew I'm male before I had my first erection.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Consul wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:45 pm
JackDaydream wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:07 pmYour ideas of human identity are so theoretical and I feel that you miss is the way people feel about their bodies..Identity may not be about the conceptual analysis of having a certain mind or body, but about the narrative sense of self esteem and happiness or lack of happiness with the body and how one is perceived. This may where sexuality comes into gender identity, with the body being central as a basis for relating to other persons.

It may not be about being gay or straight, because transman and transwomen present with various sexual orientations. However; the sense of ease or lack of ease may be such that the essential expression of self is uncomfortable. A sense of being a woman or a man may be about the central expression of a sense of authenticity of identity, bodily, sexually and with an authentic sense of self.
I fully acknowledge the mental reality of transsexuality as a state of dysphoria regarding one's sex, and the psychosocial problems resulting therefrom.

What exactly is "a sense of being a woman or a man", an inner sense of womanhood/femaleness or manhood/maleness? Is there really such a thing? Is that "inner sense" supposed to be a kind of emotion or a kind of introspective perception or cognition?

You can innerly (introspectively) perceive yourself (and correspondingly interpret your appearance and behavior) as feminine/masculine, non-feminine/non-masculine, or (not) very feminine/masculine, but I doubt that you can innerly (introspectively) perceive that you are female or male, i.e. just by looking into your mind or consciousness. This is not to say that there aren't any introspectable sex-specific bodily sensations such as how it feels for a man to have an erection; but these aren't the primary source of your knowledge of your sex. I knew I'm male before I had my first erection.
It may be more complicated than that because some people have times of doubt about their gender identity, especially as many people are able to see aspects of the other gender in themselves, including appearance, at times. It is not just about genitals and the physical aspects of puberty, although that has a major impact. That is why some teenagers are so desperate for puberty blockers.

However, there have been people who have transitioned as teenagers and regretted it, including one person who has risen to prominence in the UK news, Kiera Bell. She took puberty blockers, in order to transition from female to male and had other treatment and at age 21 regretted it. Some people transition and have regrets, although it is unclear how much is due to the effects of the treatment, or the prejudice which they encounter.

It is an extremely complex discussion area and I am not sure how appropriate it is for a forum discussion, because it is a sensitive topic. A couple of times I thought of writing a thread on the topic of gender but decided it may just cause trouble. I just hope that if anyone who is struggling with gender identity issues reading this thread finds some positives in it, rather than it adding to confusion. I know that you are doing some research but it may be useful for you to look at specific information about testimonies of people rather than simply the terminology of gender. And, of course, the thread question is really what it means to be a woman...
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:45 pmWhat exactly is "a sense of being a woman or a man", an inner sense of womanhood/femaleness or manhood/maleness? Is there really such thing? Is that "inner sense" supposed to be a kind of emotion or a kind of introspective perception or cognition?
QUOTE>
"By 'the sense of maleness' I mean the awareness I am a male. This essentially unalterable core of gender identity is to be distinguished from the related but different belief, I am manly (or masculine)."

(Stoller, Robert J. Sex and Gender: The Development of Masculinity and Femininity. 1968. Reprint, London: Karnac, 1984. p. 40)
<QUOTE

Thus defined, the sense in question is the awareness or the knowledge of one's sex. Yes, there is such a thing.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 1st, 2022, 10:26 pmThus defined, the sense in question is the awareness or the knowledge of one's sex. Yes, there is such a thing.
But there is a distinction between sense as awareness or knowledge and sense as a source of awareness and knowledge. For example, visual sensations are the source of visual knowledge, but the sensations as such aren't knowledge. What results from and is grounded in them is knowledge.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 1st, 2022, 8:12 pm As far as I can see, if g-womanhood is totally independent of s-womanhood, then it can only consist in some kind of mental state or in some kind of social role. If being a s-woman means having a female body, then being a g-woman might mean having a female mind (or soul). But what does having a female mind mean? I have no idea! – And if being a g-woman means having some social role such as being a housewife, then "g-woman" is a purely functional concept that can of course be applied to s-man as well, since a s-man can do the job of a housewife.
QUOTE>
"The first distinction to make is between sex and gender. Sex refers to the biological categories of female and male, categories distinguished by genes, chromosomes, and hormones. Culture has no influence on one’s sex. Sex is a relatively stable category that is not easily changed, although recent technology has allowed people to change their biological sex. Gender, by contrast, is a much more fluid category. It refers to the social categories of male and female. These categories are distinguished from one another by a set of psychological features and role attributes that society has assigned to the biological category of sex."

(Helgeson, Vicki S. The Psychology of Gender. 4th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2012. p. 3)
<QUOTE

First of all, no, it is not the case that "recent technology has allowed people to change their biological sex," because it has merely allowed people to partly feminize or masculinize their bodies, which I think isn't the same as changing one's biological sex.

By writing that "the social categories of male and female…are distinguished from one another by a set of psychological features and role attributes that society has assigned to the biological category of sex," the author confirms my statement that "if g-womanhood is totally independent of s-womanhood, then it can only consist in some kind of mental state or in some kind of social role."

The next big problem is to develop a non-arbitrary and adequate definition of the gender-constituting kind of mental state or social role. How exactly does one have to think, feel, or behave in order to be a g-woman? Will such as definition be anything more than a hodgepodge of stereotypes?
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

Consul wrote: July 1st, 2022, 8:12 pm Okay, for the sake of the discussion, let's distinguish between "s(ex)-female"/"s(ex)-woman" and "g(ender)-female"/"g(ender)-woman". What's the general definition of the latter? Above you implicitly suggest the following definition, which doesn't make much sense to me:

"x is a g-female/g-woman" =def "x wants to behave femininely or be treated in a feminine way"

What about a very feminine gay s-man who "wants to behave femininely or be treated in a feminine way", but doesn't regard himself as female/a woman at all, and doesn't want to be regarded as female/a woman at all?

Does anyone of the gender theorists use this sort of definition? Anyway, the basic problem with attempts at defining "g-female"/"g-woman" is that they always end up with vague stereotypes of femininity. How feminine does one have to be in order to be a g-woman? What degree of femininity is necessary and sufficient for being a g-woman? Can there be any non-arbitrary answers to these question?
There is an easy, non-arbitrary way to tell the difference between a "very feminine gay s-man" and a "g-woman" assigned male at birth: the very feminine man identifies himself as a "man" and uses he/his pronouns, while the g-woman assigned male at birth identifies herself as a woman and uses she/her pronouns. Even if their mannerisms are hypothetically the same, society will still treat a feminine s-man differently than they will a feminine g-woman. People signal this by using their pronouns and presenting (an effeminate gay man presents differently with different clothes and mannerisms than a trans woman wanting to present like a cis woman).
Consul wrote: I'm sorry, but I still canot derive any plausibly adequate definition of "g-woman" from all that. As far as I can see, if g-womanhood is totally independent of s-womanhood, then it can only consist in some kind of mental state or in some kind of social role. If being a s-woman means having a female body, then being a g-woman might mean having a female mind (or soul). But what does having a female mind mean? I have no idea! – And if being a g-woman means having some social role such as being a housewife, then "g-woman" is a purely functional concept that can of course be applied to s-man as well, since a s-man can do the job of a housewife.
I don't know what a female mind is either, but again, we're talking about social expectations; not a whole cloth mind.
Consul wrote: I beg to differ! Those transwomen who say so think they really & literally are women, because they think that having a female body is totally unnecessary for being a woman. Consequently, they have substituted the concept of a g-woman for the concept of a s-woman (= the common traditional concept of a woman). According to the extreme form of postmodern gender theory, biological sex is unreal, such that the only applicable concept of a woman left is the antibiological, purely psychological/sociological concept of a g-woman (nebulously defined either as a purely mental state or as a purely social role).
Where are you seeing this? I know plenty of trans people. I go to Pride. I hang out at gay bars sometimes. I don't know any trans people that think there's no such thing as phenotypical/biological sex (they may think it's complicated because of intersex people, because of chromosomal issues and SRY issues, etc., but not that it just doesn't exist). I don't know any trans people that don't acknowledge that their goal as a woman or as a man is the social construct of gender. I don't think whatever you're describing is common or defining for trans people.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

One more thing re: hanging at gay bars sometimes. I'm a lesbian, femme, and also happen to prefer femme partners (not really attracted to masc women). Trans women make passes at me like any other women would. I've considered accepting some of their date offers if they were attractive to me and we hit it off, but I suppose I never have (plus I've been in a monogamous relationship for almost 5 years now). But my point is that I've still talked to people even if I didn't feel like dating, and sometimes those conversations have turned towards trans issues and things like that.

A lot of trans women (and men) never end up getting surgery (which is fine!), and some don't do hormones for one reason or the other. That is their choice, and there are plenty of people that really could not care less about whether their partner has done that or not. I happen to care about my partner's body (not to be crude, but I'm just not interested in penises, on a man or a woman; and again, plenty of people don't care about this, in case any trans person is reading this, please don't feel discouraged). But every trans woman I've ever talked to doesn't just ignore these kinds of realities or have the delusion that by transitioning their phenotype has changed: they are just getting more comfortable in their own skin when they transition to appear more like their gender (which is, again, a social construct). Not once has a trans woman insisted to me she was... I don't know, a phenotypical, assigned-at-birth female. I think this conversation won't go anywhere if it keeps trying to assert "but they're not 'real' women." We should be past that by now.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Consul

Post by Consul »

Astro Cat wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:18 pm There is an easy, non-arbitrary way to tell the difference between a "very feminine gay s-man" and a "g-woman" assigned male at birth: the very feminine man identifies himself as a "man" and uses he/his pronouns, while the g-woman assigned male at birth identifies herself as a woman and uses she/her pronouns. Even if their mannerisms are hypothetically the same, society will still treat a feminine s-man differently than they will a feminine g-woman. People signal this by using their pronouns and presenting (an effeminate gay man presents differently with different clothes and mannerisms than a trans woman wanting to present like a cis woman).
I hate the Wokespeak phrase "assigned fe/male at birth", because a baby's sex is observed and detected at birth (sometimes wrongly in highly rare cases of intersexuality). Babies aren't born as sexual neutrals! Sex is not a label "assigned at birth"!

"The very feminine man identifies himself as a "man" and uses he/his pronouns."

That is, he believes (and knows) that he is a s-man, albeit a very feminine or effeminate one. So far, so good.

"The g-woman assigned male at birth identifies herself as a woman and uses she/her pronouns."

What does "woman" mean here? "S-woman" or "g-woman"? Does "the g-woman assigned male at birth" believe to be a s-woman or a g-woman?

Oh boy, I already regret having accepted the confusing distinction between a wo/man qua sex (s-wo/man) and a wo/man qua gender (g-wo/man).
Astro Cat wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:18 pmI don't know what a female mind is either, but again, we're talking about social expectations; not a whole cloth mind.
So g-wo/manhood is a set of stereotypical social expectations of certain kinds of appearance or performance; and if I meet those expectations, then I am a man or woman qua gender? That would make a feminine male transvestite a g-woman, wouldn't it?
Astro Cat wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:18 pm Where are you seeing this? I know plenty of trans people. I go to Pride. I hang out at gay bars sometimes. I don't know any trans people that think there's no such thing as phenotypical/biological sex (they may think it's complicated because of intersex people, because of chromosomal issues and SRY issues, etc., but not that it just doesn't exist). I don't know any trans people that don't acknowledge that their goal as a woman or as a man is the social construct of gender. I don't think whatever you're describing is common or defining for trans people.
"Their goal as a woman or as a man is the social construct of gender."

This I do not understand. Isn't it the core of being a transsexual man that you want/wish/desire to be(come) a woman qua sex (and not qua mere gender) = person with the body of a biological woman?
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Consul wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 12:43 am This I do not understand. Isn't it the core of being a transsexual man that you want/wish/desire to be(come) a woman qua sex (and not qua mere gender) = person with the body of a biological woman?
As everything boils down to this one thing, I've snipped everything else (I did read it! Please don't feel like I've ignored you).

No. The goal is not to do something magical and impossible, as several of us have tried to say in different ways a few times. Don't mean to say that snarkily.

Trans people know they can't change their phenotypic/biological sex.

They are changing their gender, a social construct.

When a trans person changes their body to match their gender, they aren't under the illusion that they've changed their phenotype.

But then I am getting too close to putting words into other peoples' mouths here. I may leave this one at that until a trans person is able to come along to speak for themselves.
--Richard Feynman
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

One other thing: “assigned at birth” is a reference to gender, not to sex. Gender is assigned, sex is just a fact.
--Richard Feynman
Consul

Post by Consul »

Astro Cat wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 1:14 am One other thing: “assigned at birth” is a reference to gender, not to sex. Gender is assigned, sex is just a fact.
No, what is "assigned" at birth (on the basis of observation) is the baby's visible sex rather. I don't even know what it means to say that newborns get or have a gender that is different from their sex.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Consul wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 1:49 am
Astro Cat wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 1:14 am One other thing: “assigned at birth” is a reference to gender, not to sex. Gender is assigned, sex is just a fact.
No, what is "assigned" at birth (on the basis of observation) is the baby's visible sex rather. I don't even know what it means to say that newborns get or have a gender that is different from their sex.
"Assigned at birth" means "gender assumed to match sex," basically. It's an assumption. Usually a reasonable one as most people are cis. But it's one way trans people can explain that they're changing something.
--Richard Feynman
Consul

Post by Consul »

Astro Cat wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 1:07 am
Consul wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 12:43 am This I do not understand. Isn't it the core of being a transsexual man that you want/wish/desire to be(come) a woman qua sex (and not qua mere gender) = person with the body of a biological woman?
As everything boils down to this one thing, I've snipped everything else (I did read it! Please don't feel like I've ignored you).
No. The goal is not to do something magical and impossible, as several of us have tried to say in different ways a few times. Don't mean to say that snarkily.
Trans people know they can't change their phenotypic/biological sex.
They are changing their gender, a social construct.
When a trans person changes their body to match their gender, they aren't under the illusion that they've changed their phenotype.
What does it mean "to change one's gender"?

It is part of the definition of a transsexual person that s/he desires or wishes to be(come) a member of the opposite sex. Of course, desires or wishes may never come true; but that is what makes a person transsexual psychologically.

A transsexual man cannot become corporeally identical, i.e. perfectly similar, to a biological woman, but he can become imperfectly similar to one at least through hormone treatment and surgeries. A transsexual man can become a quasi-woman at least by having his body artificially feminized (as far as physically/physiologically possible). He can change his sex only incompletely, but this doesn't mean that nothing can be done to feminize his body to a significant degree. Of course, no surgery can change a man's chromosomes and make his body produce ova (unless functional ovaries and other organs of the female reproductive system are transplantable into a male body, which is hardly possible).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

It is easy for cis folks to casually blend together genetics, physioligy, behavior, personal identification and sexual preference, and use "male" and "female" or "man" and "woman" to refer to some or all of the above. It has only been acknowledged in the mainstream recently the fact that these different axes can be totally independent from one another.
"As usual... it depends."
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Consul wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 2:18 am What does it mean "to change one's gender"?

It is part of the definition of a transsexual person that s/he desires or wishes to be(come) a member of the opposite sex. Of course, desires or wishes may never come true; but that is what makes a person transsexual psychologically.

A transsexual man cannot become corporeally identical, i.e. perfectly similar, to a biological woman, but he can become imperfectly similar to one at least through hormone treatment and surgeries. A transsexual man can become a quasi-woman at least by having his body artificially feminized (as far as physically/physiologically possible). He can change his sex only incompletely, but this doesn't mean that nothing can be done to feminize his body to a significant degree. Of course, no surgery can change a man's chromosomes and make his body produce ova (unless functional ovaries and other organs of the female reproductive system are transplantable into a male body, which is hardly possible).
I think in your case maybe it would be easiest to just consider "woman" in the gendered sense to mean "either a woman in the sex sense or a transwoman."

Calling someone with body dysmorphia a "quasi-woman" would probably feel hurtful. The word "trans woman" already exists. If you're comfortable accepting that this is just truncated to "woman" and that the gender (not sex!) of "woman" includes trans womanhood, then I think you're there maybe?
--Richard Feynman

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream