What is a Woman

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
value
Premium Member

Re: What is a Woman

Post by value »

value wrote: July 12th, 2022, 11:27 am
gad-fly wrote: July 5th, 2022, 5:20 pmGenesis 3.22: The Lord God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.
How about the following ideas:

- Mother 🌍 Earth
- Mother Nature

The Maya's considered the black hole at the centre of the 🌃 Milky Way to be the Mother of the Universe
One might add Gaia Philosophy, a female name for a spirit that supposedly encompasses nature on Earth.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

GE Morton wrote: July 12th, 2022, 11:54 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 12th, 2022, 5:49 am Who controls the media?
It doesn't matter who controls the media, as long as it operates in a free market.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Consul

Post by Consul »

An article: What is a Woman, Anyway? by Michael Shermer
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

To any transpeople who may read this thread, I apologise on behalf of the forum.

Sadly, philosophers and philosophy buffs are notoriously misogynist and queerphobic, so this unfortunately is the predictable result. The thread is a plethora of logical and ethical errors, ignoring the last half a century's research and treating the issue as new, as does the mainstream media. Once again, failed treatments and "theories" are touted that have proved as ineffective and harmful as gay conversion therapy.

Note that many here who are slamming transsexuals would also support gay conversion therapy, despite it being thoroughly discredited.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

Sy Borg wrote: July 12th, 2022, 8:36 pm To any transpeople who may read this thread, I apologise on behalf of the forum.

Sadly, philosophers and philosophy buffs are notoriously misogynist and queerphobic, so this unfortunately is the predictable result. The thread is a plethora of logical and ethical errors, ignoring the last half a century's research and treating the issue as new, as does the mainstream media. Once again, failed treatments and "theories" are touted that have proved as ineffective and harmful as gay conversion therapy.

Note that many here who are slamming transsexuals would also support gay conversion therapy, despite it being thoroughly discredited.
Also to any trans people that may read this thread, there are plenty of people that just roll their eyes at this Matt Walsh "What is a Woman" crap that has stirred a lot of this up. I support you, you are valid.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If this thread was just limited to sport, I would support transpeople not competing in elite sport. After all, transition means that any female-to-male trans athlete will lose their sporting career because they are as disadvantaged by their skeleton and puberty as male-to-female trans athletes are advantaged.

However, this thread has turned into an attempt to delegitimise and pathologise transpeople altogether, as if zero attempts had been made to "cure" transpeople since Christine Jorgenson made headlines in the 50s. I suppose this is what gay people endured, and often still do endure to some extent.

Yes, transpeople are as valid as any other human or living being. It's a terrible thing for them to have complete strangers thinking they have the right - even the duty - to undermine or sabotage their lives.

They are dealt a very tough hand in life. If reincarnation is true, they must have been utter, utter turds in their previous lives ;)
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: July 12th, 2022, 8:36 pm To any transpeople who may read this thread, I apologise on behalf of the forum.

I'm speaking for myself: You don't mention me explicitly here, but I take what you write as a personal attack. It's one load of lies and slander!
What makes your disparaging statements about me and other participants in this discussion especially blameworthy is that they are coming from one of the Site Admins of this forum, who ought to act more objectively and more fairly!

* I needn't and don't apologize for anything I wrote, because the target of my critique haven't been transpeople as such but postmodern (trans)gender theory (which has influenced the thoughts and beliefs of transpeople)! Criticizing and Rejecting this ideology has nothing to do with "slamming transsexuals"!

* "The thread is a plethora of logical and ethical errors." Is it really? Where are those alleged errors? Please show them to me!

* By the way, I don't and won't ever "support gay conversion therapy"!
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:31 pmHowever, this thread has turned into an attempt to delegitimise and pathologise transpeople altogether…
No, it hasn't! That's a blatant lie!
Consul

Post by Consul »

Astro Cat wrote: July 12th, 2022, 8:58 pmAlso to any trans people that may read this thread, there are plenty of people that just roll their eyes at this Matt Walsh "What is a Woman" crap…
I've seen only short excerpts from it, but why do you think it is crap? He describes his documentary as an "assault on gender ideology". Do you subscribe to this ideology (philosophy)? Well, those who do surely won't like Walsh's film.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Debbie Hayton: Why does Penny Mordaunt think ‘trans men are men’?

"…As a trans person, let me be clear: it is not kind to trans people to let us build our lives on a fallacy. Nobody can change sex, not even trans people.
While Penny Mordaunt may be willing to perpetuate this idea, increasing numbers of people – men and women, including trans people of both sexes – see the dangers. We are not bigots, or transphobes, or TERFs. We are reasonable people who think critically and understand reality when it stares us in the face."

You may disagree with Hayton, but she and those agreeing with her do have the right to speak out on (trans)gender issues!
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:10 am

I'm speaking for myself: You don't mention me explicitly here, but I take what you write as a personal attack. It's one load of lies and slander!
What makes your disparaging statements about me and other participants in this discussion especially blameworthy is that they are coming from one of the Site Admins of this forum, who ought to act more objectively and more fairly!

* I needn't and don't apologize for anything I wrote, because the target of my critique haven't been transpeople as such but postmodern (trans)gender theory (which has influenced the thoughts and beliefs of transpeople)! Criticizing and Rejecting this ideology has nothing to do with "slamming transsexuals"!

* "The thread is a plethora of logical and ethical errors." Is it really? Where are those alleged errors? Please show them to me!

* By the way, I don't and won't ever "support gay conversion therapy"!
Obviously, you will have to wait for Sy Borg's response. You are taking her post as an attack on you. Have you not thought that trans people may take a thread which is mostly aimed at saying that they are not 'real' in their chosen gender as being an attack on them. Of course, you have the right to express your ideas but you just keep adding more and more. It seem unfair when endless posts are written arguing about one specific group of people, trying to dismiss their feelings about who they are.
Consul

Post by Consul »

According to Ibram Kendi, a prominent champion of critical race theory, you are a racist unless you accept critical race theory (as the only true social analysis of the causes of racism and racial inequalities) and become a political activist striving for its institutional and legal implementation. Resistance to or the rejection of CRT is in principle regarded by people like Kendi as a morally reprehensible expression of racism.

Analoguously, according to critical gender/queer theory, you are a homo- or transphobe unless you accept critical gender/queer theory (as the only true theory of the nature of gender/sex) and become a political activist striving for its institutional and legal implementation. Resistance to or the rejection of G/QT is in principle regarded by its adherents as a morally reprehensible expression of homo-/transphobia.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2022, 6:30 am According to Ibram Kendi, a prominent champion of critical race theory, you are a racist unless you accept critical race theory (as the only true social analysis of the causes of racism and racial inequalities) and become a political activist striving for its institutional and legal implementation. Resistance to or the rejection of CRT is in principle regarded by people like Kendi as a morally reprehensible expression of racism.

Analoguously, according to critical gender/queer theory, you are a homo- or transphobe unless you accept critical gender/queer theory (as the only true theory of the nature of gender/sex) and become a political activist striving for its institutional and legal implementation. Resistance to or the rejection of G/QT is in principle regarded by its adherents as a morally reprehensible expression of homo-/transphobia.
I'm not sure whether anyone has called you a transphobe. People are just questioning the ethics of having trans people encounter this thread and feel genuine pain over it.

What might be an entertaining intellectual conundrum for you on a public forum might be grievously injurious to someone that struggles with gender dysmorphia everyday. Or it could at least be exhausting to them. I know I get exhausted when people debate my life for fun (do I have bodily autonomy? Can I marry my girlfriend? In another thread on the Philosophy Now forum, am I as competent as a man in STEM/are there cognitive differences in the sexes?) Questions can be valid and maybe even worth discussing, but at a certain point -- especially if views have been given and no minds have been changed -- continuing and continuing may just be more and more exhausting and/or harmful.

I don't really know, I'm not trans. As I said I only empathize analogously to similar things people debate for fun about me. But I wanted to make sure that any trans people reading this know they are valid, supported, and that not everyone feels the need to hyper-analyze them; that the notion of gender is sensible and accepted by many. That's all.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Since I can't edit: "gender dysmorphia" --> "gender dysphoria"
--Richard Feynman
Consul

Post by Consul »

JackDaydream wrote: July 13th, 2022, 6:21 amObviously, you will have to wait for Sy Borg's response. You are taking her post as an attack on you. Have you not thought that trans people may take a thread which is mostly aimed at saying that they are not 'real' in their chosen gender as being an attack on them.
Well, those transpeople who believe in postmodern gender/queer theory will not be happy about reading or hearing that they their "chosen gender" doesn't correspond to reality, but it's not my duty to make them happy, feel "comfortable" & "safe" by uncritically and devoutly affirming the postmodern ideas about gender/sex that G/QT has implanted in their minds, which I think are false and socially pernicious (especially to women).

Don't take me wrong: I have no evil intention whatsoever to make transsexuals unhappy, feel bad or miserable. On the contrary! I fully accept and respect them as what they are—transsexual people! I fully accept and respect transwomen as transsexual men/transmen as transsexual women; but what I don't accept and respect are the ideological doctrines that transwomen are (really/literally) women/transmen are (really/literally) men, and that subjective gender identity/identification is all the matters with regard to the state of womanhood/manhood (girlhood/boyhood).

QUOTE>
"This is a book about an idea, one that seems simple but has far-reaching consequences. The idea is that people should count as men or women according to how they feel and what they declare, instead of their biology. It’s called gender self-identification, and it is the central tenet of a fast-developing belief system which sees everyone as possessing a gender identity that may or may not match the body in which it is housed. When there is a mismatch, the person is ‘transgender’ – trans for short – and it is the identity, not the body, that should determine how everyone else sees and treats them."

"This is not a book about trans people. I will present the scientific research into what causes gender dysphoria and cross-sex identification. But I will not seek to balance stories of those for whom transition has been a success, and those for whom it has been a failure. Whether or not transition makes people happier is an important question for individuals and clinicians, especially when it involves irreversible hormonal or surgical interventions. But it is irrelevant to evaluating the truth of gender-identity ideology, and to whether self-declared gender should replace sex across society. To draw another analogy, whether a religion makes its believers happy is irrelevant to the question of whether its god exists, or whether everyone else should be compelled to pay it lip service."

(Joyce, Helen. Trans: When Ideology Meets Reality. London: Oneworld, 2021.)
<QUOTE

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream