Another topic

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
stevie

Another topic

Post by stevie »

stevie wrote: June 29th, 2022, 1:34 am
JackDaydream wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:43 am What Are the Most Important Philosophy Questions and, Are the Questions as Important as Answers?
Three questions appear:
1. What is the self? (related questions might be: 'What/who am I?' or 'Does the self exist?')
2. What is cognition? (a related question might be: What is the relationship between cognition and the cognized?)
3. Are issues 1 and 2 connected? If so, how?

Of course these questions are only momentary snapshots and upon further thinking about the expressions they might appear to be inappropriate and better expressions might arise.
Also I don't think that these questions are suitable for discussion because the conceptual objects expressed are by nature non-evident and thus speculations are likely to abound which is problematic since question 2 has not yet been clarified and also question 1 and 3 appear to be touched upon when it comes to speculations.
It appears that every post that isn't based on an awareness about issues 1-3 is based on ignorance because there is no awareness about what might be thinking the thoughts expressed in a post and because there is no awareness about the possible/potential causes and conditions of the arising of these thoughts that are expressed.
Of course it is completely non-evident whether a post is based on the awarenesses mentioned, so judgement is impossible.

I acknowledge that this post actually doesn't introduce a specifc topic and therefore I can simply ask what thoughts appear to you upon reading this post. Feel free to post any of your thoughts without diciplining yourself!
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Re: Another topic

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:16 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:43 am What Are the Most Important Philosophy Questions and, Are the Questions as Important as Answers?
Three questions appear:
1. What is the self? (related questions might be: 'What/who am I?' or 'Does the self exist?')
2. What is cognition? (a related question might be: What is the relationship between cognition and the cognized?)

Of course these questions are only momentary snapshots and upon further thinking about the expressions they might appear to be inappropriate and better expressions might arise.
Also I don't think that these questions are suitable for discussion because the conceptual objects expressed are by nature non-evident and thus speculations are likely to abound which is problematic since question 2 has not yet been clarified and also question 1 and 3 appear to be touched upon when it comes to speculations.
It appears that every post that isn't based on an awareness about issues 1-3 is based on ignorance because there is no awareness about what might be thinking the thoughts expressed in a post and because there is no awareness about the possible/potential causes and conditions of the arising of these thoughts that are expressed.
Of course it is completely non-evident whether a post is based on the awarenesses mentioned, so judgement is impossible.

I acknowledge that this post actually doesn't introduce a specifc topic and therefore I can simply ask what thoughts appear to you upon reading this post. Feel free to post any of your thoughts without diciplining yourself!
I am not sure why you have raised my post as a specific topic and the only reason why I haven't replied to your post on the thread I wrote is because I got caught up in another thread. I am completely aware that you dismiss my ideas because you see them as speculation, as you have sent me endless replies. Perhaps, I need a summer break from the forum....What do you see the value of reading a philosophy forum? . As I see it, philosophy, and life, comes with so much uncertainty. What do you think about certainty and uncertainty?
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm
stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:16 pm
Three questions appear:

I am not sure why you have raised my post as a specific topic and the only reason why I haven't replied to your post on the thread I wrote is because I got caught up in another thread. I am completely aware that you dismiss my ideas because you see them as speculation, as you have sent me endless replies. Perhaps, I need a summer break from the forum....
Sorry, but it appears that you cannot read my opening post without carrying into it your "I" and "my" sentiments. Just let go of all your sentiments and try to read my opening post neutrally. It has nothing to do with you although it may be inspired by one of your posts.
JackDaydream wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm What do you see the value of reading a philosophy forum? . As I see it, philosophy, and life, comes with so much uncertainty. What do you think about certainty and uncertainty?
I get inspirations from reading a philosophy forum. "certainty" and "uncertainty" are no relevant concepts for me.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
stevie

Post by stevie »

stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:43 pm
stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:16 pm It appears that every post that isn't based on an awareness about issues 1-3 is based on ignorance because there is no awareness about what might be thinking the thoughts expressed in a post and because there is no awareness about the possible/potential causes and conditions of the arising of these thoughts that are expressed.

I am not sure why you have raised my post as a specific topic and the only reason why I haven't replied to your post on the thread I wrote is because I got caught up in another thread. I am completely aware that you dismiss my ideas because you see them as speculation, as you have sent me endless replies. Perhaps, I need a summer break from the forum....
Sorry, but it appears that you cannot read my opening post without carrying into it your "I" and "my" sentiments. Just let go of all your sentiments and try to read my opening post neutrally. It has nothing to do with you although it may be inspired by one of your posts.
Nevertheless your reply is of course of valuable one because it conforms with my appeal "Feel free to post any of your thoughts without diciplining yourself!" and is a valuable inspiration for me.
So, thank you! Don't feel censured by my spontaneous reply!
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 10:03 pm
stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:43 pm
stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:16 pm It appears that every post that isn't based on an awareness about issues 1-3 is based on ignorance because there is no awareness about what might be thinking the thoughts expressed in a post and because there is no awareness about the possible/potential causes and conditions of the arising of these thoughts that are expressed.

Nevertheless your reply is of course of valuable one because it conforms with my appeal "Feel free to post any of your thoughts without diciplining yourself!" and is a valuable inspiration for me.
So, thank you! Don't feel censured by my spontaneous reply!
No, I am not annoyed with you for writing your reply and I do like to read some of the posts you write. The one which made me smile was where you told me that I used the terms of physics more like ornaments. Your thinking style is extremely different from mine, but that may be the interesting aspect of forum discussion. Certainly, you raise the issue of speculation and its potential problems in cognition, and the need for an empirical basis for knowledge and judgement.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: July 1st, 2022, 10:23 pm Certainly, you raise the issue of speculation and its potential problems in cognition, and the need for an empirical basis for knowledge and judgement.
There is the processing of sounds (spoken words) or signs (written words) and this processing results in cognition. But what do the sounds and signs refer to if they are meant to refer to anything different from themselves (as mere sounds or mere signs)?
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:12 pm
JackDaydream wrote: July 1st, 2022, 10:23 pm Certainly, you raise the issue of speculation and its potential problems in cognition, and the need for an empirical basis for knowledge and judgement.
There is the processing of sounds (spoken words) or signs (written words) and this processing results in cognition. But what do the sounds and signs refer to if they are meant to refer to anything different from themselves (as mere sounds or mere signs)?
The issue of sounds as a form of communication is important because tone and volume say so much. I went to some creative writing workshops in which I had to read my writing and the spoken performance was so different from simply putting together a story on paper. Voice and sound are of key importance, especially in the form of singing songs. I know some people who do perform as singers and even see the voice as being like a musical instrument to be mastered and developed skillfully.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:32 pm
stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:12 pm
The issue of sounds as a form of communication is important because tone and volume say so much. I went to some creative writing workshops in which I had to read my writing and the spoken performance was so different from simply putting together a story on paper. Voice and sound are of key importance, especially in the form of singing songs. I know some people who do perform as singers and even see the voice as being like a musical instrument to be mastered and developed skillfully.
That nicely descibes appearances based on word processing.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:16 pm I acknowledge that this post actually doesn't introduce a specific topic, and therefore I can simply ask what thoughts appear to you upon reading this post. Feel free to post any of your thoughts without disciplining yourself!
My thoughts: I would like to discuss these issues with you, but you may not accept the validity of any words/concepts I choose to offer (judging from previous conversations). This makes discussion ... difficult, at times. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 7:21 am I would like to discuss these issues with you, but you may not accept the validity of any words/concepts I choose to offer (judging from previous conversations). This makes discussion ... difficult, at times. 😉
N.B. I acknowledge and respect that - like Cratylus, but for different reasons - you acknowledge, but refuse to answer, a question whose meaning is unclear, unconfirmed, maybe unknown. But I regret that it means I cannot discuss your ideas with you, as some of them seem interesting.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
stevie

Post by stevie »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 7:21 am
stevie wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:16 pm I acknowledge that this post actually doesn't introduce a specific topic, and therefore I can simply ask what thoughts appear to you upon reading this post. Feel free to post any of your thoughts without disciplining yourself!
My thoughts: I would like to discuss these issues with you, but you may not accept the validity of any words/concepts I choose to offer (judging from previous conversations). This makes discussion ... difficult, at times. 😉
This reply also complies with "Feel free to post any of your thoughts without disciplining yourself! ", so it's fine. It seems however that you are confusing "posting one's thoughts" with "discussion".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 7:21 am My thoughts: I would like to discuss these issues with you, but you may not accept the validity of any words/concepts I choose to offer (judging from previous conversations). This makes discussion ... difficult, at times. 😉
stevie wrote: July 4th, 2022, 12:33 am This reply also complies with "Feel free to post any of your thoughts without disciplining yourself! ", so it's fine. It seems however that you are confusing "posting one's thoughts" with "discussion".
I would love to have a discussion with you, but you seem to resist that by any means possible. I think that's a shame.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
stevie

Post by stevie »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 4th, 2022, 5:47 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 7:21 am My thoughts: I would like to discuss these issues with you, but you may not accept the validity of any words/concepts I choose to offer (judging from previous conversations). This makes discussion ... difficult, at times. 😉
stevie wrote: July 4th, 2022, 12:33 am This reply also complies with "Feel free to post any of your thoughts without disciplining yourself! ", so it's fine. It seems however that you are confusing "posting one's thoughts" with "discussion".
I would love to have a discussion with you, but you seem to resist that by any means possible. I think that's a shame.
Discussion does not make sense when the topic is non-evident. And if the topic is evident discussion doesn't make sense either.

I am expressing what appears to me and this can't be dicussed. Or would you want to argue with me "No this is not what appears to you" :lol:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

stevie wrote: July 4th, 2022, 6:42 am Discussion does not make sense when the topic is non-evident. And if the topic is evident discussion doesn't make sense either.

I am expressing what appears to me and this can't be dicussed. Or would you want to argue with me "No this is not what appears to you" :lol:
Posting on any forum is usually considered to be an interactive pursuit. I don't seek to argue (fight) with you, but only to discuss ideas, and to exchange views ... interactively. You post, but you always find a reason not to interact. I don't understand what you hope to gain from posting here, when you work so hard to avoid conversation?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
stevie

Post by stevie »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 4th, 2022, 8:33 am
stevie wrote: July 4th, 2022, 6:42 am Discussion does not make sense when the topic is non-evident. And if the topic is evident discussion doesn't make sense either.

Posting on any forum is usually considered to be an interactive pursuit. I don't seek to argue (fight) with you, but only to discuss ideas, and to exchange views ... interactively. You post, but you always find a reason not to interact. I don't understand what you hope to gain from posting here, when you work so hard to avoid conversation?
I don't avoid conversation and actually we do converse, don't we? It may be however that the conversation doesn't meet your expectations. I express what appears to me and you may express what appears to you. Don't know whether this then is what you call "exchange views". "view" appears to be an opinion about s.th. but I doubt that I express an opinion about what appears to me when expressing what appears to me. What do you think?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream