Google nsynth

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
mrdim
Premium Member

Google nsynth

Post by mrdim »

Today I was searching for information about new sounds that have been created, as I think that in order to create new genres of music, we not only require new rhythms and melodies, but all new sounds.

I found "nsynth" by Google, using neural learning, but although I can see that there is some difference in the quality of the sounds, I can't determine in my mind that the sounds are actually remarkably new.

I can see the potential, but I would like to ask. How do you think that new sounds or genres could be created?

You can find some nsynth sound clips on the main Google search result for "nsynth" but the actual created sounds are further down the page and not the initial clips on offer further up the page.

Is the potential enormous and where does this lead us?

- Currently I am enjoying Jeff Mills "The universe, galaxy 1" and I can see that new ideas are still being produced, but I am curious as to how far you think sounds can be pushed. As far as I am aware, he hasn't used nsynth.
mrdim
Premium Member

Re: Google nsynth

Post by mrdim »

I'm going to experiment in my own way with sounds, in a similar way to the method that was used in the research.

I am hoping that by adding new sounds, it could stitch together parts that would otherwise sound incoherent.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Good Lck!
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

I have managed to edit a song of mine with great results.
It seems that creating new sounds can mean that in strange ways, otherwise disjointed or displeasing sections can be stitched together and made more pleasing, but in a very stylistic way, meaning that it doesn't feel like conventional harmonies or use of discord in a traditional strategic/tactical way.

I can hopefully post a link to my tune for purposes of discussion. It is unlikely that my work will become popular, so I hope it wouldn't be thought of as spam.

I think that it is relevant to this forum, because one example of philosophy and music working together is the philosophy of the ancient Greeks, with high regard to the importance of music.

How new genres can be created, is an existential question.

Currently my thinking is that the universe at different given moments in our history, holds its own octave or scale that we follow for a time, but this changes in the history of the universe.

It may help with future compositions.

Google seems to have helped me in my own research!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

mrdim wrote: July 8th, 2022, 11:23 am Today I was searching for information about new sounds that have been created, as I think that in order to create new genres of music, we not only require new rhythms and melodies, but all new sounds.
All the big changes in music have not been simply because of new sounds and instruments. Whilst it is true that the electric guitar and late the electronic keyboard extended the range and sounds of music they did not of themselves initiate major changes. The electric guitar was used to play R&B which morphed into R&R but the piano had as much of a major role ton R&R at the time - think of Jerry Lee and Little Richard.
One could argue that the electronic keyboard represented "Synth" or "syth pop", but where are they now? Subsumed into generalised run of the mill empty pop from Britney to Lady Gaga, which is the same old same old with some novel sounds.
And possibly the tune that opened up the Synth world was made on a 16 track with zero electronica. I'm talking about Tubular Bells, played by one person who changed this genre and enabled electronica to happen.

So whilst is might be fun to mine the Internet for new sounds and use them in existing genres. I do not think that this is what pushes genre change.
What is also problematic is that new fake sounds tend to date very quickly, them tending to attach themselves to a certain era. I'm thinking of Herbie Handcock's venture into electronica "Sound System" 1984 which is SOOOO 1980s.
Conversely the sounds of the piano, violins, and guitar seem to thrive across genres.

I found "nsynth" by Google, using neural learning, but although I can see that there is some difference in the quality of the sounds, I can't determine in my mind that the sounds are actually remarkably new.

I can see the potential, but I would like to ask. How do you think that new sounds or genres could be created?

You can find some nsynth sound clips on the main Google search result for "nsynth" but the actual created sounds are further down the page and not the initial clips on offer further up the page.

Is the potential enormous and where does this lead us?

- Currently I am enjoying Jeff Mills "The universe, galaxy 1" and I can see that new ideas are still being produced, but I am curious as to how far you think sounds can be pushed. As far as I am aware, he hasn't used nsynth.
I'll take a look though
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

Sculptor1 wrote: So whilst is might be fun to mine the Internet for new sounds and use them in existing genres. I do not think that this is what pushes genre change.
Thanks for your insight. Gave me a bit to think about.
It made me realize that we need more natural sounds in music. By natural I mean like violins or guitar (as a common sound).

The difficulty as you say, is in creating new compositions that come naturally in the sense that, as you say, sounds need to thrive across genres.

If a new sound could be created that sounds natural to our ears, then that could be an example of a new sound that works to the advantage of the music.

Most of my experiments have been with electronic sounds, and I feel a sense of eerieness or depression listening back to them.

Songs that bring about natural rhythms and harmonies should be sought after in the future, where there are many artificial constructs.

Could the goal of music be, to unite with a nature that belongs to the 'sound' of the universe? When we think of architecture, music can fall flat and fail because it describes some kind of forced dimensionality. But the universe doesn't force its dimensions... maybe...

I might find a way to show my results nonetheless, but without showing my name. My YouTube account shows my name, which I am not sure that I want to be known.

But surely if one post makes me want to learn the soothing sound or humming of violin, it is your post! I found it very succinct the way you said that certain sounds thrive across genres.

Mind you, learning violin but not at a young age, and the expense of it... I'm not too sure..
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

mrdim wrote: July 15th, 2022, 10:23 am
Sculptor1 wrote: So whilst is might be fun to mine the Internet for new sounds and use them in existing genres. I do not think that this is what pushes genre change.
Thanks for your insight. Gave me a bit to think about.
It made me realize that we need more natural sounds in music. By natural I mean like violins or guitar (as a common sound).
I'll never forget when in high school that many kids were criticising the violin and piano as old fashioned, and not modern; not found in Pop or rock.
The teacher asked them for a list of their favourite bands and the following week brought in examples of music from those bands with violin and piano in the arrangement.
Sometimes music works best when you feel it and not pay attention to the instrumentation.
What would Eleanor Rigby be without the strings? Bohemian Rhapsody?

The difficulty as you say, is in creating new compositions that come naturally in the sense that, as you say, sounds need to thrive across genres.

If a new sound could be created that sounds natural to our ears, then that could be an example of a new sound that works to the advantage of the music.

Most of my experiments have been with electronic sounds, and I feel a sense of eerieness or depression listening back to them.

Songs that bring about natural rhythms and harmonies should be sought after in the future, where there are many artificial constructs.

Could the goal of music be, to unite with a nature that belongs to the 'sound' of the universe? When we think of architecture, music can fall flat and fail because it describes some kind of forced dimensionality. But the universe doesn't force its dimensions... maybe...

I might find a way to show my results nonetheless, but without showing my name. My YouTube account shows my name, which I am not sure that I want to be known.

But surely if one post makes me want to learn the soothing sound or humming of violin, it is your post! I found it very succinct the way you said that certain sounds thrive across genres.

Mind you, learning violin but not at a young age, and the expense of it... I'm not too sure..
There is much you can do to learn an instrument without much expense. If you were serious about the violin. You would need 2 or 3 lessons from a good teacher is get you to hold the damn thing properly, and to control your bow hand, run you through the best keys, and where to find the notes on the fingerboard; tuning and care.
I learned violin when I was a kid.
After that it's all about practice and enthusiasm.

Just for fun I searched YouTube for "Today's Top Hits". Seriously what a bunch of crap. They all had to same feel, tone, and although fast and slow all managed to feel anodyne and bland employing bumps and claps and whiney (all too pitch perfect) voices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojwAWzU3CQ
I know there is better stuff out there but I suppose the music business is just following a series of formulae.

I get the feeling that many "Musicians" tend to rely far too much on the electronic devices and never really master an instrument. Mixers can be brilliant but a machine lacks feeling that you get with holding a wooden thing with strings etc.. and using parts of your body to interact in real time.
And there is something a machine cannot do, it can only wipe it out - that feeling you get when the band is working as one and something more than any individual comes through.
Drummers talk about the times when the whole kits resonates with itself and produces a feeling beyond the individual strikes of the sticks on the skins. When the whole band does this it cannot ever be imitated by a machine.
mrdim
Premium Member

Post by mrdim »

Sculptor1 wrote: Just for fun I searched YouTube for "Today's Top Hits". Seriously what a bunch of crap. They all had to same feel, tone, and although fast and slow all managed to feel anodyne and bland employing bumps and claps and whiney (all too pitch perfect) voices.
There are hints of musicality to some of those songs, but mostly it's just like choosing a colour to decorate someone's walls, or what wallpaper etc. There is nothing used in the music that actually goes deeper than a general tone/resonance in the formulaic production. process.

Ed Sheeran has always fascinated the masses, and I think it's because he or his team choice picks certain sounds sparingly, like splashes of colour to a wall, kind of thing. That's just my take on it though. It's kinda like, tropical fruit sweets with 5% fruit (uses real fruit).

I think that people like 'designer' music.

I have a suggestion for a new instrument. It would involve a glass sheet that you swipe over to trigger strings underneath it, creating new tone variations.
I like the idea of the range of sounds of a sitar being manipulated for new tones in this manner.

Do you think that this could work?

Sometimes I feel that music represents a constant struggle in the universe. Some of us have a constant drive to produce it, but at the same time the feelings and emotions we try to express get lost in a constant process of normality of sound and tone following preset conventions. It is for that reason that I would like a totally new instrument to exist.

Your post has made me see that Google nsynth is more of a production tool, than something that dramatically enhances the music.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

mrdim wrote: July 18th, 2022, 2:14 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: Just for fun I searched YouTube for "Today's Top Hits". Seriously what a bunch of crap. They all had to same feel, tone, and although fast and slow all managed to feel anodyne and bland employing bumps and claps and whiney (all too pitch perfect) voices.
There are hints of musicality to some of those songs, but mostly it's just like choosing a colour to decorate someone's walls, or what wallpaper etc. There is nothing used in the music that actually goes deeper than a general tone/resonance in the formulaic production. process.

Ed Sheeran has always fascinated the masses, and I think it's because he or his team choice picks certain sounds sparingly, like splashes of colour to a wall, kind of thing. That's just my take on it though. It's kinda like, tropical fruit sweets with 5% fruit (uses real fruit).

I think that people like 'designer' music.

I have a suggestion for a new instrument. It would involve a glass sheet that you swipe over to trigger strings underneath it, creating new tone variations.
I like the idea of the range of sounds of a sitar being manipulated for new tones in this manner.

Do you think that this could work?
There is only one way to fond out.
Buy a cheap guitar and a sheet of glass and get experimenting,

Sometimes I feel that music represents a constant struggle in the universe. Some of us have a constant drive to produce it, but at the same time the feelings and emotions we try to express get lost in a constant process of normality of sound and tone following preset conventions. It is for that reason that I would like a totally new instrument to exist.

Your post has made me see that Google nsynth is more of a production tool, than something that dramatically enhances the music.
I'm getting pretty old, and been through many changes in music, from the 1960 to the present. My preferences are pretty clear by now and have high spots from Purcell through Beethoven, Holst, Grieg. Iwas brought up with Beatles and Stones in the house, and moved on to Led Zep, Pink Floyd, ELO, Hugh Cornwell. But along the way there are remarkable standout bands and specific pieces of music that are peerless. Most of Yes's early albums, Tubular bells, flirted with Kraftwerk, and much ore besides.
What really still gets my juices going is complexity, and virtuosity. There is good music out there but most of it is throw away. Hear it a few times and it is boring. THe real great stuff can be difficult on the ear on fist listening but stands the test of time,

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream