Is World Peace Possible?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Is World Peace Possible?

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick_A wrote: July 11th, 2022, 7:54 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 10th, 2022, 11:11 pm
LuckyR wrote: July 10th, 2022, 1:50 am Of course it's possible. Out of the last 3400 years, there have been 288 years without war (anywhere in the world), or about 8% of the time.
Beautiful! :lol:

If one wants peace, our unusually restless and lively planet is perhaps not a great place to look. To be alive is to not be at peace, as we all must attend our basic needs by either killing or thwarting other living beings. Not to mention dealing with others that need to harm or thwart us.

To find peace in this solar system, may I suggest Callisto, which has been quiet for billions of years and is safely distant from Jupiter's radiation and the gravity of other "Jovian moons" - but it would have outstanding views! You'd die from lack of oxygen in seconds, of course, but once dead things would probably be pretty peaceful.
But peace for you is a theoretical impossibility. I am suggesting that without the experience of meaning as explained in the OP by Simone, it remains an impossibility.
Like the rest of us, St Simone the Perfect One also had to kill and exploit other life forms for her own survival. Thus, any peace that she claimed to feel would have been highly transitory at best, and invariably it would be shallow to some extent.

Peace is a relative concept. There is no actual peace while we need to kill and exploit others to live. Ironically, accepting that fact will increase one's peace. Expectations are the source of much misery in the world.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Simone Weil is the only person I am aware of with the heart of a evolved woman together with the mind of a scientist. That being the case it is meaningful to contemplate her insights for the sake of opening ones mind as in the OP.

Is there peace in the jungle? No, life in which everything eats everything is a necessity to serve universal purpose.

But is that what peace refers to for our species? No. To live in peace requires transcending the egoistic expression of "might makes right? Peace requires preserving the balance of life rather than its destruction for egoistic aims
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick_A wrote: July 11th, 2022, 10:02 pmIs there peace in the jungle? No, life in which everything eats everything is a necessity to serve universal purpose.

But is that what peace refers to for our species? No. To live in peace requires transcending the egoistic expression of "might makes right? Peace requires preserving the balance of life rather than its destruction for egoistic aims
There's no choice. Your consumption necessarily results in death and exploitation. Life is inherently competitive - you either muck in and get dirty or someone else will push you out of the way. Actual peace is not an option, but relative peace is possible.

I like Camus's approach. Yes, life often seems like a Sisyphean task. As soon as you have things in order, something else happens. Thus, 'One must imagine Sisyphus happy', appreciating the little things around us as we go about life's work, knowing it will all be undone in time.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sy Borg wrote: July 11th, 2022, 11:06 pm
Nick_A wrote: July 11th, 2022, 10:02 pmIs there peace in the jungle? No, life in which everything eats everything is a necessity to serve universal purpose.

There's no choice. Your consumption necessarily results in death and exploitation. Life is inherently competitive - you either muck in and get dirty or someone else will push you out of the way. Actual peace is not an option, but relative peace is possible.

I like Camus's approach. Yes, life often seems like a Sisyphean task. As soon as you have things in order, something else happens. Thus, 'One must imagine Sisyphus happy', appreciating the little things around us as we go about life's work, knowing it will all be undone in time.
Death is part of a universal necessity which transforms substances. Without it the universe could not exist.

However the commandment say "thou shalt not kill" A contradiction? No? just a fault of a literal translation. It should be understood as not murdering in the heart. Killing in the heart requires the desire to kill for egoistic benefits. Peace then is impossible for all those who kill in the heart. It serves neither man or universal purpose.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick_A wrote: July 12th, 2022, 8:56 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 11th, 2022, 11:06 pm

Death is part of a universal necessity which transforms substances. Without it the universe could not exist.

However the commandment say "thou shalt not kill" A contradiction? No? just a fault of a literal translation. It should be understood as not murdering in the heart. Killing in the heart requires the desire to kill for egoistic benefits. Peace then is impossible for all those who kill in the heart. It serves neither man or universal purpose.
Yet we all must kill and exploit other beings every single day.

The no-killing rule is aimed at maintaining cohesion within a single society. There are no Biblical prohibitions against torturing, killing and enslaving other species and encouragement to do harm to those deemed to be enemies. Rather, there is encouragement in both the Bible and the Koran to slaughter "beasts" for no reason and mixed messages about rape and torture of enemies, although enslavement is thoroughly endorsed.

This is all "murdering in the heart". The intent is 100% to kill and exploit other beings, even if one does not mean to be nasty. If you want to eat a steak, then you have killing in your heart at a primal level, even if it not conscious. Deep down, you know that an animal had to be slaughtered for your tasty lunch. That's life - one either kills and exploits other beings, or one dies. The killing is entirely egoistic too - to preserve one's life at the expense of others.

Given that the main religious texts exhort warfare and violence against non-believers, there can be no world peace for extreme Christians and Muslims until they have slaughtered or converted all Jews, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, those of other minor faiths and the non-religious. Only a totalitarian global caliphate will bring peace for extreme members of Abrahamic religions. While moderate theism is falling, extreme theism is on the rise.

There will only truly be peace if humans can digitise and no longer have biological needs (and thus will no longer need to kill and exploit to live). Alas, if mind digitisation proves to be possible and satisfactory, by then most other species will be almost certainly be extinct and human numbers will have been decimated too.

If it proves to be impossible to have sentience in an inorganic substrate, then we can forget about peace and continue on, trying to minimise the damage that we must do.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sy

We are not as far apart as usual which is good. Don’t forget my philosophy centers around two basic questions: What is the purpose of our universe And what is the purpose of organic life within it including Man on earth?

From this perspective man serves universal needs a opposed to the usual opinion that the universe exists to serve Man. Is the fact that everything eats everything in our universe something wrong and the actions of an angry God or is it a universal necessity?

Most theories on our universe begin with the universe constructed on three elemental forces. Take the Hindu Trimurti for example. The trimurti collapses the three gods into a single form with three faces. Each god is in charge of one aspect of creation, with Brahma as creator, Vishnu as preserver, and Shiva as destroyer.

Is this evil or a necessity? I view it as a necessity and seek to understand it. It has become clear to me that Man is a miniverse constructed on the same principles as our great universe. But the universe as a whole is in balance. The three work as a unified whole. Man is out of balance creating the human condition and the results of the corrupted human heart.

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva create the process and purpose of our universe. Destruction, as offensive as it seems, is a necessary function of our universe. How can I respect it? How can I respect the purpose of life?

Religions have been corrupted for political and pragmatic aims. Does the Spanish Inquisition express the intent of Christ’s teaching? No, over time religions initiating with a conscious source devolve to serve politics and pragmatism. This devolution happens to Man lacking consciousness.

Man on earth and those in power believe the universe is here to serve them so cannot appreciate the purpose of our universe creating all the results of being out of balance.

Theoretically it can change but practically it cannot. The struggle for power will always be dominant in those lacking a higher conscious perspective.

The real struggle for man is how to awaken to a higher conscious potential to experience a realistic view of our universe. The struggle is how to open to human conscience rather than just being limited to reactive animal consciousness. It exists in us as potentials being blocked by the human condition corrupting our lower parts.

If this could happen the world will not be at peace but will respect universal purpose. When a person watches a school of gamefish attacking a school of food fish, how do I respect it not as evil but a necessity? Can science understand necessity rather than being used as a tool for politics and pragmatism? Yes, but it is far into the future. The human condition will not allow it.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Okay, we agree that world peace is not possible. I do not see any value in equilibrium, only the seeking of it. Life, or even matter, is only possible because the universe (and Earth) are in a state of disequilibrium, so a state of actual equilibrium is death.

The other issue is the assumption that all humans would achieve a "higher conscious level" that that of today's exemplars. Maybe with digitisation but absolutely not before then. Rather, the certainty is not a progression to higher consciousness but a sharp regression towards base survivalist mindsets as eight billion humans continue to decimate other species, driving ever more intense competition between each other and triggering more natural disasters.

I agree that science has struggled to properly value and study subjective reality, given that the focus of science is on objective physical reality that is measurable. It is ultimately a reliable collection of subjective impressions, a tool of incredible power and efficacy. However, anyone who has ever attended a work meeting knows that collectives have a mentality that is fairly reliable, so a collective decision is less risky, less likely to have a catastrophic error. It is also less likely to be inspired, subtle or kind.

Can religions understand that they sometimes act like cancer? Religions isolate themselves from the body, growing independently and try to spread throughout the entire body, breaking down existing structures and replacing them. When theocrats achieve power, they inevitably bring regressive policies, societal stagnation and brutality.

Ultimately, science and spirituality are only parts of the picture, neither being sufficient in itself, and each area certainly needs a healthy dose of philosophy to be at their most useful and positive. One thing we probably agree on is that the common idea that humans are a plague upon the Earth and we're all doomed is a short-term view that ignores the big picture, although I suspect that we have different ideas about the nature of that big picture. I do not believe that the Abrahamic deities exist in objective reality, rather there is a cosmic/psychedelic/lateral aspect to human minds that was personified and extrapolated on by ancient people.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Sy Borg wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:02 pm However, anyone who has ever attended a work meeting knows that collectives have a mentality that is fairly reliable, so a collective decision is less risky, less likely to have a catastrophic error. It is also less likely to be inspired, subtle or kind.
I was already writing the second sentence in response in my mind as I read the first!
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

chewybrian wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:52 pm
Sy Borg wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:02 pm However, anyone who has ever attended a work meeting knows that collectives have a mentality that is fairly reliable, so a collective decision is less risky, less likely to have a catastrophic error. It is also less likely to be inspired, subtle or kind.
I was already writing the second sentence in response in my mind as I read the first!
It is remarkable how dumb and amoral committee of bright and decent people can be. Organisations - be they commercial, government, religious or a club - tend to operate more like caterpillars than people, with a laser focus on consumption and growth, and not much else.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sy
The other issue is the assumption that all humans would achieve a "higher conscious level" that that of today's exemplars. Maybe with digitisation but absolutely not before then. Rather, the certainty is not a progression to higher consciousness but a sharp regression towards base survivalist mindsets as eight billion humans continue to decimate other species, driving ever more intense competition between each other and triggering more natural disasters.
I agree. That is the way of the Great Beast. The condition of the world doesn't support conscious evolution. For example conscious evolution requires a certain quality of energy. This higher quality is found in nature in its more exotic places like life in coral reefs and rain forests. But we are destroying them compelling nature to draw these energies from our being making us more course and lessening conscious awareness
I agree that science has struggled to properly value and study subjective reality, given that the focus of science is on objective physical reality that is measurable. It is ultimately a reliable collection of subjective impressions, a tool of incredible power and efficacy. However, anyone who has ever attended a work meeting knows that collectives have a mentality that is fairly reliable, so a collective decision is less risky, less likely to have a catastrophic error. It is also less likely to be inspired, subtle or kind.
Yes, the collective functions by directed attention focused on the aims of the collective. However, does the success of a healthy advanced society rest on the goals of Man or universal principles reflecting universal purpose?
THE EVOLUTION OF MAN CAN BE TAKEN AS THE DEVELOPMENT IN HIM of those powers and possibilities which never develop by themselves, that is, mechanically. Only this kind of development, only this kind of growth, marks the real evolution of man. There is, and there can be, no other kind of evolution whatever.…
In speaking of evolution it is necessary to understand from the outset that no mechanical evolution is possible. The evolution of man is the evolution of his consciousness. And ‘consciousness’ cannot evolve unconsciously. The evolution of man is the evolution of his will, and ‘will’ cannot evolve involuntarily. The evolution of man is the evolution of his power of doing, and ‘doing’ cannot be the result of things which ‘happen.’ G.I Gurdjieff
The Beast or society as a whole is a mechanical life living as a machine reacting to natural and cosmic influences. Does the collective make life better until its power is exposed? Then you have the same problem experienced in communism. Conscious evolution needs help from above in the form of grace to experience a higher more human perspective. But it is denied. so I agree that since we are as we are, everything remains and continues as it does: turning in circles and explained in the cycles expressed in Ecclesiastes 3.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

To be fair, there has been a tremendous evolution of consciousness. Today I was just checking out material about torture methods in medieval Europe, and they are beyond barbaric.

You like the mythic language (great beast) whereas I just think of it as nature. We won't agree on the details but we can agree that the destruction of nature is disheartening.

You speak of "a healthy advanced society". The only examples today are some northern European countries but they will not be able to avoid the malaises afflicting their allies and competitors.

Given that "universal purpose" is speculative and many have their own conceptions of this, creating a society based on one person's conception of "universal purpose" will require either authoritarian control or tolerant pluralism. Ultimately, world peace is impossible for those with biological imperatives, at best an idealistic goal.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sy Borg wrote: July 14th, 2022, 1:22 am To be fair, there has been a tremendous evolution of consciousness. Today I was just checking out material about torture methods in medieval Europe, and they are beyond barbaric.

You like the mythic language (great beast) whereas I just think of it as nature. We won't agree on the details but we can agree that the destruction of nature is disheartening.

You speak of "a healthy advanced society". The only examples today are some northern European countries but they will not be able to avoid the malaises afflicting their allies and competitors.

Given that "universal purpose" is speculative and many have their own conceptions of this, creating a society based on one person's conception of "universal purpose" will require either authoritarian control or tolerant pluralism. Ultimately, world peace is impossible for those with biological imperatives, at best an idealistic goal.
We know that Man on earth is capable of both the most horrible atrocities but also the greatest compassion. This is human nature or the nature of the beast so to speak.

What is true for society as a whole is not necessarily true for an individual. Some become aware of the absurdity they find themselves in but struggle consciously for a way out. Do you remember an old Star Trek episode in which an alien being was using its power to promote a never ending fight between the crew on the enterprise and the Klingons. The alien being fed on this energy of battle until they finally realized what they were doing and refused to fight to feed the thing.

Simone Weil in her intro to the Iliad uses the same idea and calls it "force" How can we understand force? That is real philosophy:

The Iliad, or The Poem of Force
The true hero, the true subject, the center of the Iliad is force. Force employed by man, force that enslaves man, force before which man’s flesh shrinks away. In this work, at all times, the human spirit is shown as modified by its relations with force, as swept away, blinded, by the very force it imagined it could handle, as deformed by the weight of the force it submits to. For those dreamers who considered that force, thanks to progress, would soon be a thing of the past, the Iliad could appear as an historical document; for others, whose powers of recognition are more acute and who perceive force, today as yesterday, at the very center of human history, the Iliad is the purest and the loveliest of mirrors.

To define force — it is that x that turns anybody who is subjected to it into a thing. Exercised to the limit, it turns man into a thing in the most literal sense: it makes a corpse out of him. Somebody was here, and the next minute there is nobody here at all; this is a spectacle the Iliad never wearies of showing us:
It seems to me that the human potential to awaken to the absurdity of the human condition requires two qualities: becoming capable of conscious attention and also the need to create the harmony of the human soul described by Plato. But it can never be taught in schools with their emphasis on indoctrination. So how can we help those capable through conscious awareness lessen the horrors yet to come for society as a whole?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

When it comes to the absurd, I'm with Camus. We must imagine Sisyphus happy, exploring and enjoying whatever nature is around him, accepting that he'll be pushing the damn boulder uphill for the rest of his existence.

Objectification ("force") is a function of numbers. At some point, humans become mere numbers. It's impossible to avoid when planning infrastructure and spending for many millions of people. This is, understandably, most marked in China, where people are just chess pawns, expendable and used in strategic ways to strengthen the nation. There is a trend for nations to be prospering while the people's living standards worsen, a problem that undermines the latest "economic miracle", that of India.

Not sure much can be done about it, other than at small scales, where individuals matter. We are, inevitably equivalent to cells, bacteria and parasites to "society". Unlike cells, we have some individual agency, we have philosophy.

I think the best thing we can do for young people is to get them more acquainted with nature. It's shocking to see how many young children shrink in fear as our small, docile, cancer-ridden, 15 yo dog passes by. They are completely unable to read the dog's body language, and this is not a wild animal but one who has been domesticated by humans for 30,000 years or so. It's rather Brave New World-ish, this abhorrence and fear of nature (or even dogs), and the relative comfort they feel in the company of machines.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sy Borg wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:19 pm When it comes to the absurd, I'm with Camus. We must imagine Sisyphus happy, exploring and enjoying whatever nature is around him, accepting that he'll be pushing the damn boulder uphill for the rest of his existence.

Objectification ("force") is a function of numbers. At some point, humans become mere numbers. It's impossible to avoid when planning infrastructure and spending for many millions of people. This is, understandably, most marked in China, where people are just chess pawns, expendable and used in strategic ways to strengthen the nation. There is a trend for nations to be prospering while the people's living standards worsen, a problem that undermines the latest "economic miracle", that of India.

Not sure much can be done about it, other than at small scales, where individuals matter. We are, inevitably equivalent to cells, bacteria and parasites to "society". Unlike cells, we have some individual agency, we have philosophy.

I think the best thing we can do for young people is to get them more acquainted with nature. It's shocking to see how many young children shrink in fear as our small, docile, cancer-ridden, 15 yo dog passes by. They are completely unable to read the dog's body language, and this is not a wild animal but one who has been domesticated by humans for 30,000 years or so. It's rather Brave New World-ish, this abhorrence and fear of nature (or even dogs), and the relative comfort they feel in the company of machines.
From the OP:
"The combination of these two facts — the longing in the depth of the heart for absolute good, and the power, though only latent, of directing attention and love to a reality beyond the world and of receiving good from it — constitutes a link which attaches every man without exception to that other reality.

Whoever recognizes that reality recognizes also that link. Because of it, he holds every human being without any exception as something sacred to which he is bound to show respect.

This is the only possible motive for universal respect towards all human beings. Whatever formulation of belief or disbelief a man may choose to make, if his heart inclines him to feel this respect, then he in fact also recognizes a reality other than this world's reality. Whoever in fact does not feel this respect is alien to that other reality also." ~ Simone Weil
This isn't a trick question but just trying to get your opinion on the goals of China and its automatons and the potential to receive help from above through higher consciousness however it is felt. Of course atheism will frown on it but the real question is how we envision God in a society of the future? I'll use Einstein to broaden the question.
The development from a religion of fear to a moral religion is a great step in peoples lives. And yet, that primitive religions are based purely on fear and the religions of civilized peoples purely on morality is a prejudice against which we must be on guard. the truth is that all religions are a varying blend of both types, with this differentiation: that on the higher levels of social life the religion of morality predominates.

Common to all types is the anthropomorphic character of their conception of God. In general, only individuals of exceptional endowments, and exceptionally high-minded communities, rise to any considerable extent above this level. But there is a third stage of religious experience which belongs to all of them, even though it is rarely found in a pure form: I shall call it cosmic religious feeling. It is very difficult to elucidate this feeling to anyone who is entirely without it, especially as there is no anthropomorphic conception of God corresponding to it.

The individual feels the futility of human desires and aims and the sublimity and marvelous order which reveal themselves both in nature and in the world of thought. Individual existence impresses him as a sort of prison and he want to experience the universe as a single significant whole. The beginnings of cosmic religious feeling already appear at an early stage of development, e.g., in many of the Psalms of David and in some of the Prophets. Buddhism, as we have learned especially from the wonderful writings of Schopenhauer, contains a much stronger element of this.

The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another.

How can cosmic religious feeling be communicated from one person to another, if it can give rise to no definite notion of a God and no theology? In my view, it is the most important function of art and science to awaken this feeling and keep it alive in those who are receptive to it.

-- Albert Einstein, Religion and Science, NY Times, November 9, 1930
It seems to me that modern society has largely outgrown the religion of fear but still caught up in the religion of morality and its abuses. But at the same time there is a craving for meaning and the sensitive feel the futility you described as Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a hill only to have it fall back.

Can a person have a cosmic religious feeling leading one to experience the path to human meaning or are we destined to devolve to become automatans?

It seems to me that the experience of awe and wonder must be reintroduced to the young through science and art. Unfortunately it is discouraged in pursuit of imaginary inspired technology.

In these times when atheism is so dominant, how can the young experience awe and wonder to inspire contemplation of the great truths responsible for nature or the body of God leading to the experience of conscience and human obligations to universal purpose?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick_A wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:02 amFrom the OP:
"The combination of these two facts — the longing in the depth of the heart for absolute good, and the power, though only latent, of directing attention and love to a reality beyond the world and of receiving good from it — constitutes a link which attaches every man without exception to that other reality.

Whoever recognizes that reality recognizes also that link. Because of it, he holds every human being without any exception as something sacred to which he is bound to show respect.

This is the only possible motive for universal respect towards all human beings. Whatever formulation of belief or disbelief a man may choose to make, if his heart inclines him to feel this respect, then he in fact also recognizes a reality other than this world's reality. Whoever in fact does not feel this respect is alien to that other reality also." ~ Simone Weil
This isn't a trick question but just trying to get your opinion on the goals of China and its automatons and the potential to receive help from above through higher consciousness however it is felt. Of course atheism will frown on it but the real question is how we envision God in a society of the future? I'll use Einstein to broaden the question.
The development from a religion of fear to a moral religion is a great step in peoples lives. And yet, that primitive religions are based purely on fear and the religions of civilized peoples purely on morality is a prejudice against which we must be on guard. the truth is that all religions are a varying blend of both types, with this differentiation: that on the higher levels of social life the religion of morality predominates.

Common to all types is the anthropomorphic character of their conception of God. In general, only individuals of exceptional endowments, and exceptionally high-minded communities, rise to any considerable extent above this level. But there is a third stage of religious experience which belongs to all of them, even though it is rarely found in a pure form: I shall call it cosmic religious feeling. It is very difficult to elucidate this feeling to anyone who is entirely without it, especially as there is no anthropomorphic conception of God corresponding to it.

The individual feels the futility of human desires and aims and the sublimity and marvelous order which reveal themselves both in nature and in the world of thought. Individual existence impresses him as a sort of prison and he want to experience the universe as a single significant whole. The beginnings of cosmic religious feeling already appear at an early stage of development, e.g., in many of the Psalms of David and in some of the Prophets. Buddhism, as we have learned especially from the wonderful writings of Schopenhauer, contains a much stronger element of this.

The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another.

How can cosmic religious feeling be communicated from one person to another, if it can give rise to no definite notion of a God and no theology? In my view, it is the most important function of art and science to awaken this feeling and keep it alive in those who are receptive to it.

-- Albert Einstein, Religion and Science, NY Times, November 9, 1930
It seems to me that modern society has largely outgrown the religion of fear but still caught up in the religion of morality and its abuses. But at the same time there is a craving for meaning and the sensitive feel the futility you described as Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a hill only to have it fall back.

Can a person have a cosmic religious feeling leading one to experience the path to human meaning or are we destined to devolve to become automatans?

It seems to me that the experience of awe and wonder must be reintroduced to the young through science and art. Unfortunately it is discouraged in pursuit of imaginary inspired technology.

In these times when atheism is so dominant, how can the young experience awe and wonder to inspire contemplation of the great truths responsible for nature or the body of God leading to the experience of conscience and human obligations to universal purpose?
Universal respect for all humans is impossible without universal respect for all animals, so these are just ideals. There is no way that universal respect for humans is possible, let alone for poor old, reviled and downtrodden animals.

By "automatons" I take it you refer to the trend towards cults of personality and the slavish following and manipulation of deeply unethical human beings. No human should be worshipped. The only entities I see that are worthy of worship are the Sun and the Earth, and to a lesser extent, the Moon. These entities created us and sustain us. I have much sympathy with the reverence of the land by indigenous people. The shift in human attitudes towards the land from sacredness to resources did much to increase human fecundity and wellbeing, and our numbers resulted in increasing objectification of humans as mere profane resources.

China is further along this path than the west, again, by weight of numbers. India, with its grand traditions, has tried to avoid such objectification, but it's increasingly been happening through weight of numbers. You can also tell when people are losing value when a nation is ostensibly enjoying strong economic growth while the average people's standard of living is reducing. When people are part of a multitude, they become "human resources" - "chess pieces", as used and abused by military commanders and monument builders throughout history.

Awe and wonder can come purely from nature, no gods needed. However, in lieu of healthy ecosystems, it's no surprise that people might seek such healthy feelings via imagination. Gods are, of course, a purely subjective phenomenon, a product of imagination that acts as a life hack for those in need of motivation, discipline and excitement. Life can be hard, so "Whatever gets you through the night is alright", as John Lennon sang.

Personally, there is a part of me that resists fooling myself, so I cannot use use a deity as a mind hack. Ironically, my optimism stems from observation, and the fact that "as above, so below" applies throughout nature, including its human component. Many science boffins reject the idea that reality operates in a fractal nature because the fractals are approximate rather than precise. However, the general dynamics are there - aggregation, branching, encapsulation, eversion - approximately re-iterating at different scales. As such, I see humanity as the Earth's equivalent higher brain and spore delivery system, and to achieve the spread of "Earthiness" to other worlds, much automation will be required. Many would question how might a planet be subject to natural selection when it is alone. It's because influence can be internal as well as external, as evidenced in epigenetics and the placebo effect.

However, this seemingly inevitable outcome of Earth sending material to create entities on other world, based on its blueprints, need not guide one's individual actions and preferences. It's too distant. So it comes down to temperament. I personally resist the intrusions of the state into people's private lives, of increasing control and conformism, not because I aim to achieve anything, but because it suits me personally because I am a a bit of a weirdo :)

I resist intrusions and excessive control, but accept that I am swimming against an inevitable tide. Resistance to control may not keep autocrats and would-be autocrats honest (only death will achieve that!) but it does at least act as a brake. Societies are tempered by internal political and social battles conducted in good faith. Disharmony forces issues to be explored more deeply.

Ultimately, your dream of enlightened humanity behaving in an enlightened cooperative manner, not via control, but widespread wisdom, can only be an ideal. Imagine, for a moment, that it was achieved. That everyone was wise and decent and civilised and vegan. If that lasted more than a couple of years before cracks started to appear, I would be surprised. There will always be malcontents (who may or may not have good reasons) and hubris will always take down those with great power.

You can never have a fantastic society and hold it in place. It will inevitably change, and those accustomed to "the old ways" will tend to decry some changes, as we do.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream