Postmodernism, History and Philosophy: How is the Past Reconstructed or Deconstructed?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Gertie

Re: Postmodernism, History and Philosophy: How is the Past Reconstructed or Deconstructed?

Post by Gertie »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 9:22 am
Gertie wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 12:20 pm I'm vaguely thinking we need a formula of some sort to assess which approach is appropriate to which context.  If you want to  reduce emissions you need to look at the physically observable and measurable evidence and develop science based methodologies.  You also want to persuade people of the reality and urgency of the crisis and how they can help.
I think it's the "persuasion" that's the hard part. There are philosophers — perhaps of the more Analytic persuasion? — who think that people are, or can be, persuaded by facts. Empirical observation reveals that this is not so. There is a distinctly human aspect to persuasion, and it includes emotion and sociocultural matters.

Sadly, many of those who actually have the skill of persuasion are charlatans and self-centred sociopaths, but the fact (😋) remains that persuasion (of human beings) is an art in itself, and this is what must be harnessed if we wish to persuade people. Perhaps this ought not to be the case, but it is.
A more holistic approach is required, you might say ;)
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Postmodernism, History and Philosophy: How is the Past Reconstructed or Deconstructed?

Post by chewybrian »

Sunday66 wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 2:24 pm What "postmodern" thinker said truth is relative?
My first instinct is to reply "all of them", since I think the idea is at the core of the philosophy. Maybe someone more versed in it can verify that or tell me I'm wrong. However, certainly some of them said so.

There is nothing to be known about anything except an initially large, and forever expandable, web of relations to other things. Everything that can serve as a term of relation can be dissolved into another set of relations, and so on for ever. There are, so to speak, relations all the way down, all the way up, and all the way out in every direction: you never reach something which is not just one more nexus of relations., Richard Rorty

https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/2016/ ... ost-truth/
In Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature (1979), Rorty explains his antirepresentationalism. Knowledge, and implicitly truth, are indissoluble from language, he argues. Our language is contingent. Therefore our relationship to the world is bound to be contingent as well. We, as humans, are not in an epistemically privileged/representational relationship with the world. Instead, Rorty invites us to adopt the Darwinian narrative according to which we, along with many other species, cannot really know the world, but only adapt to it. Our intellects and vocabularies "have no more of a representational relation to an intrinsic nature of things than does the anteater's snout" (1998/1999, p. 49).

Furthermore, philosophers such as Nietzsche fundamentally changed how we see Truth and Reality. In Rorty’s reading (1989), Nietzsche brought contingency to the forefront of philosophy, as the thinker argued truth was so accidental and relative to the perspective of the truth-seeker that every philosophy is a mere “involuntary and unconscious autobiography” and every metaphysics a “confession of its originator” (1886). Nietzsche liberated us from the Plato-Kant canon, prompting us to replace unity with multiplicity, to start creating instead of hoping to find.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/transf ... ics-truth/
In “Truth and Politics,” whenever (Hannah) Arendt talks about truth she always specifies what kind of truth she means: historical truth, trivial truth, some truth, psychological truth, paradoxical truth, real truth, philosophical truth, hidden truth, old truth, self-evident truth, relevant truth, rational truth, impotent truth, indifferent truth, mathematical truth, half-truth, absolute truth, and factual truth. There is no “the truth,” only truth in reference to something particular. The adjectives she attaches to truth transform the concept into something worldly.
https://www.allaboutworldview.org/postm ... osophy.htm
One of the themes in Postmodern philosophy is a denial of universal, objective truth. This is clearly declared in Jean- Francois Lyotard’s famous statement “incredulity towards metanarrative.”4 A metanarrative refers to a unifying story that seeks to explain how the world is—in other words a metanarrative is a worldview. Lyotard suggests that we should be skeptical of such broad explanations. For example, the statement “God so loved the world” is nonsensical to Postmodernists for two reasons: (1) they deny the existence of God, and (2) statements reflecting the whole world (metanarratives) are impossible.

For Postmodernists, since there is no universal Truth (capital “T”), there are only “truths” (small “t”) that are particular to a society or group of people and limited to individual perception. Written or verbal statements can reflect only a particular localized culture or individual point of view. A well-worn catchphrase we hear in this regard is, “That may be true for you, but not for me.”
These are some of the easiest ideas to give my assent of any I've encountered. I don't see why would-be philosophers would be so ready to dismiss them. I do see why others would be so, because they are perhaps not eager to think for themselves or have cracks appear in their world view. They want to be right to justify their actions which follow logically from their opinions. The philosopher, though, should want to be right for the sake of being right alone. She should be eager, then, to get on with her proper business, which is just these kinds of considerations.

To say instead that we possess objective truth and are therefore justified in acting upon it is to run the risk of acting as the Spanish Inquisitors, torturing in the name of Jesus, or the founding fathers, retiring to their plantation full of slaves after laying out "self-evident truths" about the inalienable rights of man, or GW authorizing waterboarding in the name of freedom, or Obama sending in the drones, etc... If I hold my opinion to be rational, objective truth, then someone else's opposing opinion can only represent ignorance, deceit or malice. On these flimsy pretenses we justify all sorts of nastiness when it's quite likely that objective truth (if we were able to grasp it) would indicate that we were both wrong.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Gertie wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:12 pm
Gertie wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 12:20 pm I'm vaguely thinking we need a formula of some sort to assess which approach is appropriate to which context.  If you want to  reduce emissions you need to look at the physically observable and measurable evidence and develop science based methodologies.  You also want to persuade people of the reality and urgency of the crisis and how they can help.
I think it's the "persuasion" that's the hard part. There are philosophers — perhaps of the more Analytic persuasion? — who think that people are, or can be, persuaded by facts. Empirical observation reveals that this is not so. There is a distinctly human aspect to persuasion, and it includes emotion and sociocultural matters.

Sadly, many of those who actually have the skill of persuasion are charlatans and self-centred sociopaths, but the fact (😋) remains that persuasion (of human beings) is an art in itself, and this is what must be harnessed if we wish to persuade people. Perhaps this ought not to be the case, but it is.
As far as I can tell, persuasion is something that moguls, advertisers, "deal-makers" and "opinion makers" engage in, leveraging crowd dynamics.

On a more personal level, Does persuasion happen? I don't remember seeing too many being persuaded by my thoughts on forums over many years :lol:

The closest would seem to be telling people what they want to hear in words they'd wished they'd thought of themselves. So, for instance, the mob that Trump incited to attack the Capitol wouldn't have needed a ton of persuasion. Many would just be happy to have the chance to go yahooing around The Seat of Power. A memory for a lifetime! Others were blinkered fanatics, already on the edge. Some took the excuse to kill. All they needed was an excuse, rather than to be convinced. It didn't matter that Trump was obviously lying, not if enough people pretend he wasn't.

So, on a personal level, all we can is say our bit, if we wish. If it fails to resonate, BAU. If it does, hopefully it's for the better.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 5:12 pm

Yes, wholistic but also the revolutionary approach is what needed, with not so much persuasion, more enforcement of reasonable laws, by means of a population that is not apathetic.

Most people in developed free countries are under-educated and persuaded to be compliant by means of sweeteners. In un- free developed countries most people are made compliant by state terrorism. In both cases people don't demand efficient and honest government.

What proportion of the entire population even marches on demonstrations, even in free countries? Answer: an exceedingly small proportion. Apathy is not natural but is artificially created by the establishment.

The establishment claims that a popular face like Trump's or Boris's is trustworthy. Without even mentioning these people's petty crimes, an educated populace would not be enchanted by pretty faces and would demand long term results.

The principle behind these political facts is neither modern or postmodern but is common to both.
The eternal moral principle is that in a shared world each individual must be enabled to be as powerful as he can be.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 1:48 pm Much of philosophy seems like sweeping up the ashes of former movements, including modernism, and sometimes it seems as if all the original ideas (and even music) may have been tapped into already. What is there left to discover? In some ways, it feels almost like the post-apocalyptic as opposed to postmodern age. But, hopefully, there are positives to be discovered yet.
All of that sounds acceptable and believable, but at the same time, an equally serious consideration of what we do know, and what we don't, often results in the conclusion that we have barely scratched the surface of the knowledge that is there to be known. There is a universe full of it, after all, maybe even multiple universes. As I have aged, I have followed in the footsteps of those giants who preceded me, and concluded that I know next to nothing.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

chewybrian wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 6:17 pm https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/transf ... ics-truth/
In “Truth and Politics,” whenever (Hannah) Arendt talks about truth she always specifies what kind of truth she means: historical truth, trivial truth, some truth, psychological truth, paradoxical truth, real truth, philosophical truth, hidden truth, old truth, self-evident truth, relevant truth, rational truth, impotent truth, indifferent truth, mathematical truth, half-truth, absolute truth, and factual truth. There is no “the truth,” only truth in reference to something particular. The adjectives she attaches to truth transform the concept into something worldly.
I have long been bothered by truth being such a slippery concept. This puts some of my doubts into words, as I have so far been unable to do. But I'll leave it at that, so that this topic can return to showering postmodernism with mindless bigotry. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 4th, 2022, 8:04 am
JackDaydream wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 1:48 pm Much of philosophy seems like sweeping up the ashes of former movements, including modernism, and sometimes it seems as if all the original ideas (and even music) may have been tapped into already. What is there left to discover? In some ways, it feels almost like the post-apocalyptic as opposed to postmodern age. But, hopefully, there are positives to be discovered yet.
All of that sounds acceptable and believable, but at the same time, an equally serious consideration of what we do know, and what we don't, often results in the conclusion that we have barely scratched the surface of the knowledge that is there to be known. There is a universe full of it, after all, maybe even multiple universes. As I have aged, I have followed in the footsteps of those giants who preceded me, and concluded that I know next to nothing.
There is a paradox between the illusion of knowing so much and knowing so little. Wittgenstein's emphasis on uncertainty is probably important here, even though in daily reality so much is taken for certain often. Life is so unpredictable in a way which can be both unnerving and astounding. It is likely that the everyday assumptions which many hold on to are vastly different from a hundred years ago. Of course, there are so many variations in thought, but the loss of belief in God and the supernatural may be the overriding one and it was central to postmodernist deconstruction. But, it is questionable whether we have simply 'scratched the surface' of knowledge and what is yet to come, through science or other epistemological methods? To what extent will knowledge be found in the outer or inner realm of experience, or the tension between these sources for understanding?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Chewy Brian quoted:
In Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature (1979), Rorty explains his antirepresentationalism. Knowledge, and implicitly truth, are indissoluble from language, he argues. Our language is contingent. Therefore our relationship to the world is bound to be contingent as well. We, as humans, are not in an epistemically privileged/representational relationship with the world. Instead, Rorty invites us to adopt the Darwinian narrative according to which we, along with many other species, cannot really know the world, but only adapt to it. Our intellects and vocabularies "have no more of a representational relation to an intrinsic nature of things than does the anteater's snout" (1998/1999, p. 49).

Epistemic privilege is a matter of degree not a matter of kind. I suppose other mammals, birds, and reptiles have at least vestigial ability to abstract symbolic meanings from environmental events that impinge on them.

Environments of phenomena are not static ; no event is identical to some other event. Heraclitus was right. This being so our relationship to "the world" includes respect for probabilities(inductive reason). Probability in common sense and in science is essential to our cultural and genetic adaptation to the constant variation in events.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Persuasion is the prerogative of any society's establishment. As free people we need to constantly be partisan to the individual and his needs and feelings.Trump's mob was not free but was enchanted by Trump's misinformation.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

The idea that we each model reality as we experience it (as flawed and limited subjects whose observations 'create' colour and edges for example) isn't controversial. That we then compare notes about our private experiential models using symbolic language, this creates an extra layer of interpretation, isn't either. And it's these inter-subjective shared notes about personal models which become our accepted shared model of the world. Knowledge and truths are created this way, as something subjects do.

Hoffman calls them Darwinian fictions. Not some perfectly authoritative knowledge of reality. We had to invent gods for that. Science itself relies on inter-subjective falsifiability of what is third party observable and measurable - physical stuff and processes. And appropriately uses the language of models, theories and accounts to describe its findings. The 'soft' sciences don't even have that observable/measurable type of third party falsification which the physical stuff and processes of the universe offers.

And if shared knowledge is built from imperfectly communicating subjects' imperfect models of reality, you have to take account of our cognitive, social and psychological biases, conscious and unconscious, too. Especially in the social sciences, where you can't point to a physical object like a tree, ask if others see it too and get the same measurements. It's no wonder it's the social sciences which ran most forcefully into the issues PM raises.

To respond to this messy, nuanced and ultimately subject-centric nature of knowledge as something flawed subjects do (via creating models of reality), with all its obvious caveats, by running to the dictionary, isn't philosophy. It looks like a need for tidiness and certainties, the impulse behind perfect godly knowledge. The Enlightenment was supposed to offer this type of tidy certainty through evidence and reason, which Modernism built on as the engine for its optimism. But the Holocaust isn't reasonable, weapons of mass destruction science helped create dropped on civilian cities isn't reasonable. War, prejudice and allowing climate change via technological industrialisation, mass production and colonisation of the world's resources to wreak global destruction aren't reasonable. Everyone being able to read about it and especially watch it on TV brings it home too. The PM day of reckoning, the antithesis, was inevitable unless we were dumbly going to plough on without reflection.

That reflection happened in an ad hoc manner with PM, as different academic fields and the arts address it different ways. PM isn't the same type of Grand Narrative as Religion and Modernism, it's more of a critique. And you can argue over bits n pieces, but its critique nails some basics like the nature of truth and knowledge in ways which shouldn't be controversial unless you have some other specific belief like religion or naive realism. Which is a tough one to defend, and not how people here are challenging PM.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: August 5th, 2022, 6:01 pm There is a paradox between the illusion of knowing so much and knowing so little.
But, it is questionable whether we have simply 'scratched the surface' of knowledge and what is yet to come, through science or other epistemological methods? To what extent will knowledge be found in the outer or inner realm of experience, or the tension between these sources for understanding?
We don't know what we don't know, and we don't realise (know) that we don't know it, as the famous American philosopher, Donald Rumsfeld, said. And he was ridiculed for it, when it might be the only wise thing a politician has ever said.

But consider our situation. There is a spacetime universe there, and an incredible amount of things to know about it. We could, in theory, know everything there is to know about it. And this huge body of knowledge is just the start. Once we know all there is to know about the spacetime universe, we can start on the infinite and abstract mental world of concepts, ideas, and imagination...

Does it seem reasonable to you that humans could know everything about everything? It doesn't to me.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2022, 7:51 am
JackDaydream wrote: August 5th, 2022, 6:01 pm There is a paradox between the illusion of knowing so much and knowing so little.
But, it is questionable whether we have simply 'scratched the surface' of knowledge and what is yet to come, through science or other epistemological methods? To what extent will knowledge be found in the outer or inner realm of experience, or the tension between these sources for understanding?
We don't know what we don't know, and we don't realise (know) that we don't know it, as the famous American philosopher, Donald Rumsfeld, said. And he was ridiculed for it, when it might be the only wise thing a politician has ever said.

But consider our situation. There is a spacetime universe there, and an incredible amount of things to know about it. We could, in theory, know everything there is to know about it. And this huge body of knowledge is just the start. Once we know all there is to know about the spacetime universe, we can start on the infinite and abstract mental world of concepts, ideas, and imagination...

Does it seem reasonable to you that humans could know everything about everything? It doesn't to me.
It would not be possible to know everything because that would be omniscience. It seems more about different ways of framing. As one comes across a new perspective it is a way of putting it altogether differently. However, aspects get lost in the process too. For the last couple of years, I have been reading philosophy in conjunction with using websites. I would say that in some ways I consider myself as knowing more, in the sense that I have read writers like Schopenhauer and Wittgenstein who I had not read previously, and these ideas have opened my eyes. Also, I have become aware of the way in which certain ideas which I had, including ones on life after death, were extremely muddled. So, it has been about trying to go beyond fuzziness but I am also aware of how much I don't know.

It is not entirely about reading, or lack of it, but by the way in which life comes together in practice. I am far less knowledgeable in doing things on the computer than most people. That is partly because I have not put the time and energy into it. A lot of the people I know access information and communication through 'What's App' and Zoom. When they hear that I don't use these they think that I am missing out. So, it is partly about how aquiring knowledge is slanted towards one's interests, which means that the more one follows a specialised interest it is a form of narrowing down the horizons through focus. In some ways, it is possible to be aware of lack of knowledge, but it also about blindspots, in which one can be unaware of lack of knowledge too.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

The entire answer to this thread is contained in a book I read many years ago.

All you have to do is read it and understand it, and all will be revealed.

The book is "The Archaeology of Knowledge" by Michel Foucault.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Gertie wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:42 am The idea that we each model reality as we experience it (as flawed and limited subjects whose observations 'create' colour and edges for example) isn't controversial. That we then compare notes about our private experiential models using symbolic language, this creates an extra layer of interpretation, isn't either. And it's these inter-subjective shared notes about personal models which become our accepted shared model of the world. Knowledge and truths are created this way, as something subjects do.

Hoffman calls them Darwinian fictions. Not some perfectly authoritative knowledge of reality. We had to invent gods for that. Science itself relies on inter-subjective falsifiability of what is third party observable and measurable - physical stuff and processes. And appropriately uses the language of models, theories and accounts to describe its findings. The 'soft' sciences don't even have that observable/measurable type of third party falsification which the physical stuff and processes of the universe offers.

And if shared knowledge is built from imperfectly communicating subjects' imperfect models of reality, you have to take account of our cognitive, social and psychological biases, conscious and unconscious, too. Especially in the social sciences, where you can't point to a physical object like a tree, ask if others see it too and get the same measurements. It's no wonder it's the social sciences which ran most forcefully into the issues PM raises.

To respond to this messy, nuanced and ultimately subject-centric nature of knowledge as something flawed subjects do (via creating models of reality), with all its obvious caveats, by running to the dictionary, isn't philosophy. It looks like a need for tidiness and certainties, the impulse behind perfect godly knowledge. The Enlightenment was supposed to offer this type of tidy certainty through evidence and reason, which Modernism built on as the engine for its optimism. But the Holocaust isn't reasonable, weapons of mass destruction science helped create dropped on civilian cities isn't reasonable. War, prejudice and allowing climate change via technological industrialisation, mass production and colonisation of the world's resources to wreak global destruction aren't reasonable. Everyone being able to read about it and especially watch it on TV brings it home too. The PM day of reckoning, the antithesis, was inevitable unless we were dumbly going to plough on without reflection.

That reflection happened in an ad hoc manner with PM, as different academic fields and the arts address it different ways. PM isn't the same type of Grand Narrative as Religion and Modernism, it's more of a critique. And you can argue over bits n pieces, but its critique nails some basics like the nature of truth and knowledge in ways which shouldn't be controversial unless you have some other specific belief like religion or naive realism. Which is a tough one to defend, and not how people here are challenging PM.
The challenges to PM put forth here seem to be a straw man sliding down a slippery slope. There is an attempt to equate the reasonable parts (like everything you mentioned) with the most extreme elements of postmodernism and/or to presume that any PM ideas would inevitably lead down the path to extremism. Everything you said shows the value of postmodern ideas as a check on modernism gone mad and a valuable tool for trying to reach a new, higher level of objectivity (beyond the framework of our own world view and the traditions and customs of our own society).

The unreasonably severe reaction to reasonable ideas such as those you mentioned seems to point to the truth of the problems postmodernism seeks to address. There are problems under the surface that some folks don't what to acknowledge because they prefer not to think for themselves or presume they are benefiting from the status quo.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

chewybrian wrote: August 6th, 2022, 9:33 am
Gertie wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:42 am The idea that we each model reality as we experience it (as flawed and limited subjects whose observations 'create' colour and edges for example) isn't controversial. That we then compare notes about our private experiential models using symbolic language, this creates an extra layer of interpretation, isn't either. And it's these inter-subjective shared notes about personal models which become our accepted shared model of the world. Knowledge and truths are created this way, as something subjects do.

The challenges to PM put forth here seem to be a straw man sliding down a slippery slope. There is an attempt to equate the reasonable parts (like everything you mentioned) with the most extreme elements of postmodernism and/or to presume that any PM ideas would inevitably lead down the path to extremism...

The unreasonably severe reaction to reasonable ideas such as those you mentioned seems to point to the truth of the problems postmodernism seeks to address. There are problems under the surface that some folks don't what to acknowledge because they prefer not to think for themselves or presume they are benefiting from the status quo.
Yep. ''straw man sliding down a slippery slope'' - nice!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream