What characterizes a philosopher

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: What characterizes a philosopher

Post by chewybrian »

How do I know if I am a baseball player? I simply try to play baseball. I am not disqualified from being called a ball player just because I am lacking in ability.
I think you mean to ask what makes one person proficient at "doing" philosophy while his neighbor maybe isn't getting it right. First, you have to be willing to try (I can't be rightly called a baseball player, good or bad, if I never take the field; same goes for the philosopher in his or her own weird way). Since there is so much subjectivity involved, we might fairly say that effort, whether well directed or not, (in our own opinion about the would-be philosopher and their ideas) makes a philosopher.

We are likely to have a lot of different ideas about what rises to the level we might call proficient. I'd sum it up by saying that the philosopher is always willing to challenge narratives, paradigms or models, where the non-philosopher usually is not. The philosopher will challenge what you say along with the rock-bottom foundational assumptions about reality that ostensibly support what you say. The philosopher treats theories about the subjective universe (ethics, morality and such) as a scientist treats theories about the natural world. "Everything is permitted", meaning that right and wrong must be worked out over and over, with no real hope of getting things correct, but only perhaps making progress.

The non-philosopher will tend to agree or disagree with you based on whether or not your ideas fit neatly within his preferred models. He will fight to protect his preferred model rather than challenging it willingly to see if it survives scrutiny and thus lives on in his mind for one more day.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

chewybrian wrote: July 17th, 2022, 12:11 pm
we might fairly say that effort, whether well directed or not, (in our own opinion about the would-be philosopher and their ideas) makes a philosopher.

We are likely to have a lot of different ideas about what rises to the level we might call proficient. I'd sum it up by saying that the philosopher is always willing to challenge narratives, paradigms or models, where the non-philosopher usually is not. The philosopher will challenge what you say along with the rock-bottom foundational assumptions about reality that ostensibly support what you say. The philosopher treats theories about the subjective universe (ethics, morality and such) as a scientist treats theories about the natural world. "Everything is permitted", meaning that right and wrong must be worked out over and over, with no real hope of getting things correct, but only perhaps making progress.

The non-philosopher will tend to agree or disagree with you based on whether or not your ideas fit neatly within his preferred models. He will fight to protect his preferred model rather than challenging it willingly to see if it survives scrutiny and thus lives on in his mind for one more day.
The topic has shifted to "What makes a philosopher", but it is alright. I can see your point about effort makes a P, and i take effort as the effort to philosophize.

Taken broadly, anyone philosophizing is a P. If he keeps going, he is a veritable P. If he stops, he is a non-P.

"The non-philosopher . . . will fight to protect his preferred model rather than challenging it willingly." Good point.
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

gad-fly wrote: July 17th, 2022, 2:31 pm
we might fairly say that effort, whether well directed or not, (in our own opinion about the would-be philosopher and their ideas) makes a philosopher.

The topic has shifted to "What makes a philosopher", but it is alright. I can see your point about effort makes a P, and i take effort as the effort to philosophize.

Taken broadly, anyone philosophizing is a P. If he keeps going, he is a veritable P. If he stops, he is a non-P.

"The non-philosopher . . . will fight to protect his preferred model rather than challenging it willingly." Good point.
Socrates criticized the sophists because they gave up too easily. They only wanted to win arguments and prove the other person was wrong.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

On second thought, why should he be called a non-philosopher, if he
tend to disagree or disagree
fight to protect his own model
not challenge his own model

With these characters, he is more a philosopher than not. If you put up a model, and assuming you are a P or PP, would you not challenge it right away unless you are persuaded otherwise?
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

gad-fly wrote: July 18th, 2022, 11:12 am
On second thought, why should he be called a non-philosopher, if he
tend to disagree or disagree
fight to protect his own model
not challenge his own model

With these characters, he is more a philosopher than not. If you put up a model, and assuming you are a P or PP, would you not challenge it right away unless you are persuaded otherwise?
Why, then, should I be called a scientist if I am unwilling to challenge my model of the sun revolving around the earth and such? In contrast, the world of science (modern science, at least) will embrace you if you can disprove the current theories about the nature of the world. Show that a widely accepted model of science is likely wrong and, rather than being burned at the stake, you might get a Nobel prize.

What is the model of the non-philosopher? Perhaps it is the Bible or the constitution or whatever his Grandpa told him. If he is unwilling to hold these models up for scrutiny, then he does not seem to be much of a philosopher to me, any more than someone clinging to creationism, unwilling to even examine other options, could be called a scientist.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

chewybrian wrote: July 18th, 2022, 4:06 pm [
Why, then, should I be called a scientist if I am unwilling to challenge my model of the sun revolving around the earth and such? In contrast, the world of science (modern science, at least) will embrace you if you can disprove the current theories about the nature of the world. Show that a widely accepted model of science is likely wrong and, rather than being burned at the stake, you might get a Nobel prize.

What is the model of the non-philosopher? Perhaps it is the Bible or the constitution or whatever his Grandpa told him. If he is unwilling to hold these models up for scrutiny, then he does not seem to be much of a philosopher to me, any more than someone clinging to creationism, unwilling to even examine other options, could be called a scientist.
I take you to mean that, scientist, P or PP, he does not deserve to be so called unless he is open-ended, and even to mount challenge, which is a common characteristic among them all.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

gad-fly wrote: July 18th, 2022, 5:36 pm
chewybrian wrote: July 18th, 2022, 4:06 pm [

I take you to mean that, scientist, P or PP, he does not deserve to be so called unless he is open-ended, and even to mount challenge, which is a common characteristic among them all.
Yes. I can't be said to be "doing" science unless I make observations and create theories about what I am seeing. Further, I must attempt to show the theories work, but more importantly try to disprove them. After trying and failing to disprove the theory (and showing that it could have been disproved by my tests), then and only then I might latch onto it as a fact. Such a fact must be provisional, subject to be disproved any time.

The philosopher would seem to take over where the scientist is unable to show that his theories are grounded in facts and potentially falsifiable. The philosopher seems to work with shaky, loose probabilities and intuition. He can stack logic to the moon, but the foundations are not solid. If they were, he would be a scientist. The raw material for the philosopher is subjective, where it is objective for the scientist. So, the methods must be different, but the attitude should be similar. The philosopher should hold his theories to be provisional, subject to be disproved (to his subjective satisfaction) at any time.
"If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed." (Marcus Aurelius, “Meditations”)
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

chewybrian wrote: July 19th, 2022, 6:51 am I can't be said to be "doing" science unless I make observations and create theories about what I am seeing. Further, I must attempt to show the theories work, but more importantly try to disprove them. After trying and failing to disprove the theory (and showing that it could have been disproved by my tests), then and only then I might latch onto it as a fact. Such a fact must be provisional, subject to be disproved any time.
I read something recently that clarified this 👆 for me. It stated something I should've realised, but had not. Science is an inductive practice, not a deductive one. If it was deductive, we could rely on its conclusions absolutely. But it is not. Science starts with (empirical) evidence — specific evidence — and seeks to generalise it. The logical/reasoning shortcomings of induction are well understood, so I don't need to repeat them.

Science is inductive, seeking to derive general rules from specific observations.

(Philosophy is not structured the same as science, but sometimes it has to rely on induction too, or even sheer guesswork, on occasion.)
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

It is never my intention to pick on the Philosopher, especially when there are so many around here. Not that he must be humble, but it helps for everyone to be humble. Nor does he need to deconstruct or reconstruct, but it helps if he can quiet down once in a while to review and re-examine.

One characteristic of the P is his arrogance in the belief that, in his propensity to P, he is smarter, especially since what he P is not what can be understood by himself, let alone by others. Say he is unreal, and he will identify you to be stupid. With due respect, I would say he is not smarter, and that applies to most P. I would, however, ascribe his talent to think more, and to think outside the box.

Sorry if I have made you uncomfortable. It is never the intention.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

gad-fly wrote: July 20th, 2022, 11:21 am It is never my intention to pick on the Philosopher, especially when there are so many around here. Not that he must be humble, but it helps for everyone to be humble. Nor does he need to deconstruct or reconstruct, but it helps if he can quiet down once in a while to review and re-examine.

One characteristic of the P is his arrogance in the belief that, in his propensity to P, he is smarter, especially since what he P is not what can be understood by himself, let alone by others. Say he is unreal, and he will identify you to be stupid. With due respect, I would say he is not smarter, and that applies to most P. I would, however, ascribe his talent to think more, and to think outside the box.

You probably don't make people feel uncomfortable but trying to classify the characteristics of a philosopher may not be particularly helpful. Philosophy, especially on forums, can become more and more about word definitions, which can leave out the deeper aspects of understanding. Personally, I wouldn't describe myself as a philosopher, but say that I am simply interested in philosophy. However, I would query your idea that a philosopher is necessarily arrogant about being smarter. It is in contradiction to Socrates' statement, 'I know nothing.' Perhaps, humility is a better approach to knowledge and understanding than one of arrogance.
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

JackDaydream wrote: July 20th, 2022, 12:49 pm
gad-fly wrote: July 20th, 2022, 11:21 am It is never my intention to pick on the Philosopher, especially when there are so many around here. Not that he must be humble, but it helps for everyone to be humble. Nor does he need to deconstruct or reconstruct, but it helps if he can quiet down once in a while to review and re-examine.

You probably don't make people feel uncomfortable but trying to classify the characteristics of a philosopher may not be particularly helpful. Philosophy, especially on forums, can become more and more about word definitions, which can leave out the deeper aspects of understanding. Personally, I wouldn't describe myself as a philosopher, but say that I am simply interested in philosophy. However, I would query your idea that a philosopher is necessarily arrogant about being smarter. It is in contradiction to Socrates' statement, 'I know nothing.' Perhaps, humility is a better approach to knowledge and understanding than one of arrogance.
I am a philosopher. I find the discussion on this thread baffling. Maybe folk need to have actual contact with a philosopher instead of making it all up.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sunday66 wrote: July 20th, 2022, 1:00 pm I am a philosopher.
I don't envy you for this self-identification.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Sunday66 wrote: July 20th, 2022, 1:00 pm

I am a philosopher. I find the discussion on this thread baffling. Maybe folk need to have actual contact with a philosopher instead of making it all up.
I wonder about why you identify as a philosopher. Do you work as a philosopher professionally or at least have a PhD in the subject? I don't consider myself as a philosopher even though I have studied aspects of on courses. I prefer to say that I have an interest in it. However, I do take it seriously and have had contact with people who may be considered 'philosophers' because I have been taught and mentored by professors in the field, and I value their expertise.

As far as 'making it up' is concerned if is complex, because it is about ideas. Empirical methods and rational logic, as well as reading may be important, and it may be a juggling act. But, the question of the thread is about what is a philosopher which could be about the pursuit of philosophy on an individual level, or being recognized as one. On this forum, I see the actual discussion of philosophy as being more important than trying to clarify who is or isn't a philosophy, and on what basis. To do so would seem like trying to fit philosophers into a tick box classification system.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

trying to classify the characteristics of a philosopher may not be particularly helpful.
I take you to mean that pointing out P's inclination to feel smarter than others is not particularly helpful.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

gad-fly wrote: July 20th, 2022, 2:14 pm
trying to classify the characteristics of a philosopher may not be particularly helpful.
I take you to mean that pointing out P's inclination to feel smarter than others is not particularly helpful.
I am not trying to criticise or attack you in any way. In most instances,each person believes in their own viewpoint primarily. Without some kind of belief in the importance of one's own beliefs, it would be hard to have any view at all. Some people may be considered smart by others, whereas others may not. However, there are probably no absolute measures and some of it may be about consensus and popularity, which may be limited and may fluctuate so much. Hopefully, there is no 'day of judgement' in which the real philosopher and those who are not are divided into the heaven or hell of philosophical consideration, in their aspirations and merits.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream