Searle's Biological Naturalism view of Consciousness.

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
GE Morton

Re: Searle's Biological Naturalism view of Consciousness.

Post by GE Morton »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 10:46 am
GE Morton wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:20 am
Consul wrote: August 12th, 2022, 10:10 pm
So Chalmers seems to share Searle's causal view. However, Searle stubbornly denies being a property dualist, whereas Chalmers happily calls his view "naturalistic dualism", which means that he explicitly accepts property dualism.
Yes. There is a dualism, but it is neither a "property dualism" nor a "substance dualism." It is only a linguistic dualism; two different vocabularies, one for communicating about experiential features and events, the other the features and events of a postulated external world --- which is itself a conceptual construct, but which we take to "stand-in" for the unknowable noumena. Neither vocabulary has any ontological implications (if ontology is regarded as an inquiry into what "really exists"). The only question is how well the two vocabularies help us communicate our experiences and render them coherent.
No, Searle's and Chalmers' positions are clearly cases of existential property dualism (without substance dualism) rather than just representational concept/predicate dualism. Searle has stated many times that experiential properties are irreducibly ontologically subjective, having a distinctive "first-person ontology". Property dualism is the view that there are two basic kinds of properties in the world: physical ones and mental (experiential/phenomenal) ones. According to Searle, experiential/phenomenal properties are a basic kind of (emergent) properties, which are ontologically irreducible properties sui generis!
Yes they are. My comment above, "There is a dualism, but it is neither a "property dualism" nor a "substance dualism." It is only a linguistic dualism . . ." is my own view; I was not attributing it to them.

As I said in a previous post, the problem with "ontological reducibility" is not with the concept of reducibility, but with that of ontology, which construes it to refer to that which "really exists." We need to de-mystify and de-Platonize that notion, understand it as referring, not to what "really exists," but to what we SAY exists, i.e., how we classify existents we perceive, conceptualize, and postulate, in order to communicate effectively about experience. We then see that we have, not just a property dualism, but a populous property pluralism, with each category of existents having a set of properties unique to it, few of which are, or need be, reducible to properties applicable to other categories of existents.

There is no need to reduce "mind talk" to "brain talk" in order to confirm that brains cause mental phenomena. It would be necessary if physical theory were to fully explain just how neural processes generate mental phenomena --- but that is not possible, for physical theory or any theory we might construct, for the "transcendental" reasons I mentioned.

From your Searle quote: "But in the ontological sense of the objective-subjective distinction, there are certain phenomena which are intrinsically subjective and other phenomena which are intrinsically objective. Such matters as mass, force, and gravitational attraction are ontologically objective, but, in this sense, consciousness is ontologically subjective. Subjectivity in this case is not a matter of the epistemology by way of which we find out about consciousness but a matter of its ontological status. The objection, then, to any form of reductionism is that it is bound to fail because the ontologically subjective cannot be reduced to the ontologically objective."

"Intrinsically objective"? Matter, force, etc., are not "objective." Only what we SAY about them can be objective. In themselves they're just features of our conscious experience.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pmAccording to Searle, experiential properties are instantiated by the brain as a whole or by certain multicellular segments of the brain, but not by any lower-level cerebral structures: No single particle, atom, molecule, or cell in the brain has experiential properties, but certain active complexes or dynamic systems of particles, atoms, molecules, and cells in the brain have such emergent properties, which are essentially "holistic" or "systemic" features.
"[A]ll of our conscious experiences are explained by the behavior of neurons and are themselves emergent properties of the system of neurons."

(Searle, John R. The Mystery of Consciousness. New York: The New York Review of Books, 1997. p. 22)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

GE Morton wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:23 pmYes they are. My comment above, "There is a dualism, but it is neither a "property dualism" nor a "substance dualism." It is only a linguistic dualism . . ." is my own view; I was not attributing it to them.
Okay, but if you think the dualism is merely linguistic or conceptual, then what's the ontological monism underlying it—physical monism, mental monism, neutral monism?
GE Morton wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:23 pmAs I said in a previous post, the problem with "ontological reducibility" is not with the concept of reducibility, but with that of ontology, which construes it to refer to that which "really exists." We need to de-mystify and de-Platonize that notion, understand it as referring, not to what "really exists," but to what we SAY exists, i.e., how we classify existents we perceive, conceptualize, and postulate, in order to communicate effectively about experience. We then see that we have, not just a property dualism, but a populous property pluralism, with each category of existents having a set of properties unique to it, few of which are, or need be, reducible to properties applicable to other categories of existents.
The property dualism we've been talking about isn't dualistic about the number of properties or the number of kinds of properties, but only about the number of basic, fundamental (and thus irreducible) kinds of properties; so property dualism about basic kinds of properties is perfectly compatible with (>2) property pluralism about properties or kinds of properties.

Being a metaontological realist, I think the (primary) subject matter of ontology is "the categorial structure of the world" (to quote the title of a book by Reinhardt Grossmann) rather than the categorial structure of our thought of the world. Of course, metaontological realists use concepts or "ideas" to think about reality, its fundamental nature and structure; but ontology isn't thereby turned into ideology (= "the science of ideas; that department of philosophy or psychology which deals with the origin and nature of ideas" – Oxford Dictionary of English).
GE Morton wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:23 pm From your Searle quote: "But in the ontological sense of the objective-subjective distinction, there are certain phenomena which are intrinsically subjective and other phenomena which are intrinsically objective. Such matters as mass, force, and gravitational attraction are ontologically objective, but, in this sense, consciousness is ontologically subjective. Subjectivity in this case is not a matter of the epistemology by way of which we find out about consciousness but a matter of its ontological status. The objection, then, to any form of reductionism is that it is bound to fail because the ontologically subjective cannot be reduced to the ontologically objective."

"Intrinsically objective"? Matter, force, etc., are not "objective." Only what we SAY about them can be objective. In themselves they're just features of our conscious experience.
The word "objective" has several meanings, but by "ontologically objective" Searle means "non-experiential and experience-independent" (no direct quote!). For instance, mountains are ontologically objective because they don't depend for their being on being experiences themselves or being experienced (perceived) by some subject(s).
Consul

Post by Consul »

QUOTE>
"In addition to the epistemic sense of the objective-subjective distinction, there is also a related ontological sense. In the ontological sense, 'objective' and 'subjective' are predicates of entities and types of entities, and they ascribe modes of existence. In the ontological sense, pains are subjective entities, because their mode of existence depends on being felt by subjects. But mountains, for example, in contrast to pains, are ontologically objective because their mode of existence is independent of any perceiver or any mental state.
We can see the distinction between the distinctions clearly if we reflect on the fact that we can make epistemically subjective statements about entities that are ontologically objective, and similarly, we can make epistemically objective statements about entities that are ontologically subjective. For example, the statement 'Mt. Everest is more beautiful than Mt. Whitney' is about ontologically objective entities, but makes a subjective judgment about them. On the other hand, the statement 'I now have a pain in my lower back' reports an epistemically objective fact in the sense that it is made true by the existence of an actual fact that is not dependent on any stance, attitudes, or opinions of observers. However, the phenomenon itself, the actual pain, has a subjective mode of existence."

(Searle, John R. The Construction of Social Reality. New York: Free Press, 1995. pp. 8-9)
<QUOTE
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pmIt's not incoherent within the context of ontological emergentism with its different layers or levels of being and irreducibly different, novel properties on every or at least some layer or level.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid ontological emergentism about properties is built on sand, because I think it wrongly presupposes that nonsimple (composite/complex) things (objects/substances) can have simple (noncomposite/noncomplex) properties.
Note that I don't mean to say that no predicates are true of nonsimple things, or that nonsimple things don't fall under any concepts, but that no genuinely real properties qua nonlinguistic and nonconceptual entities are had (possessed/exemplified/instantiated) by, "adhere to" or "inhere in" nonsimple objects!

For an argument, see this post of mine: viewtopic.php?p=389795#p389795
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:32 pm
Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pmAccording to Searle, experiential properties are instantiated by the brain as a whole or by certain multicellular segments of the brain, but not by any lower-level cerebral structures: No single particle, atom, molecule, or cell in the brain has experiential properties, but certain active complexes or dynamic systems of particles, atoms, molecules, and cells in the brain have such emergent properties, which are essentially "holistic" or "systemic" features.
"[A]ll of our conscious experiences are explained by the behavior of neurons and are themselves emergent properties of the system of neurons."

(Searle, John R. The Mystery of Consciousness. New York: The New York Review of Books, 1997. p. 22)
Heh. Saying something Y is an "emergent property" of X is not an explanation at all. An explanation of Y would be an experimentally demonstrable account of the mechanisms which cause Y to "emerge" from X.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Consul
...Addressing irreducibility in terms of causation doesn't change that problem. He's not saying something else is causing neurons to cause experience, where-by the ontological reducibility now has to incorporate that something else (like heat causing ice to liquefy). He's saying neurons in motion is all that's needed to cause experience, that's all that's causally happening. But at the same time saying experience isn't ontologically reducible to all that is happening. It's incoherent. Right?
It's not incoherent within the context of ontological emergentism with its different layers or levels of being and irreducibly different, novel properties on every or at least some layer or level. Note that I'm talking about different, hierarchically organized levels of existence or reality rather than just about different levels of representation (conception, description)!
That is what I'm saying is incoherent. I'm claiming that a material thing in motion (eg a brain) in different types of ways resulting in new properties emerging (like solid lump of ice liquefying), must be ontologically reducible to the material constituents which the new propertis are still comprised of if you're a materialist monist.
If we take the human brain as an example of a hierarchically organized physical system, there is the highest level of the cerebral system (brain) as a whole, and there is the lowest, basic level of single elementary particles, of which the human brain is fundamentally composed. There are also several intermediate levels ranging from single atoms, single molecules, single cells, to multicellular structures (tissues).
Right. The material brain is ontologically reducible to its material parts down to elementary particles, and its processes are the ways these parts interact, resulting in new properties, still reducible in the same way. This is a coherent account of the material brain and its processes, this is what physics describes, no prob.
According to ontological property emergentism, there occur ontologically novel and irreducible emergent properties on at least one nonbasic level of being of the physical system in question.
And this would happen sometimes, with some neural interactions, because...?

It's the ''because'' question I'm asking.

Otherwise the claim amounts to materialist monism being unable to account for apparently irreducible experiential properties, by saying something unaccountable and incoherent in terms of materialism happens and calling it ''emergence''. That doesn't mean it's wrong, as a 'What If...' it works, but so do many contradictory What If claims which don't have this internal incoherence - panpsychism for example.

So it's a big problem for materialists I think, and I'm wondering if they've got an answer to why material stuff might do this?

There's a nod to complexity in another quote, and that seems like it could be relevant because brain interactions are really, really complex. But is that reference to complexity as being somehow mechanistic in terms of irreducible emergence based on anything more than noting brain interactions being really, really complex? That materialism might predict irreducible properties arising from complexity or something?

If there isn't, that's fine.

( I struggled to parse the quotes about structural properties but I don't think they answer my basic question).
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 2:34 pm
Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pmIt's not incoherent within the context of ontological emergentism with its different layers or levels of being and irreducibly different, novel properties on every or at least some layer or level.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid ontological emergentism about properties is built on sand, because I think it wrongly presupposes that nonsimple (composite/complex) things (objects/substances) can have simple (noncomposite/noncomplex) properties.
Note that I don't mean to say that no predicates are true of nonsimple things, or that nonsimple things don't fall under any concepts, but that no genuinely real properties qua nonlinguistic and nonconceptual entities are had (possessed/exemplified/instantiated) by, "adhere to" or "inhere in" nonsimple objects!

I read the link. The answer to your questions, "Where is H, and what has H?," would seem to be, H(aRb), or, "a and b when related via R have property H." As for where is H, it is wherever aRb is.

I don't think there is any problem with the notion of novel properties "emerging" from complexes of simple (or simpler) things, properties not possessed by any of its parts alone. That occurs all the time --- e.g., an automobile may have the property of "seats 5," or "has a top speed of 210 kph," neither of which is possessed by any of its parts. The problem with it is thinking that it is, per se, an explanation for that novel property, which, unless it is reducible to the properties of the simpler parts, it is not.

I'm not sure, though, what, in your statements above, you're counting as a "simple property," or as a "genuinely real" property. Suppose the automobile masses 1000 kg. Is that a simple property of the car, or a complex property, given that is the sum of the masses of all its parts? Is the mass of a proton simple, or complex? Surely a property having varying values doesn't switch from simple to complex depending on its value.

The real problem here is with the notion of "ontological emergentism," which arises because of an unworkable conception of ontology.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding your argument. ???
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 1:41 pm
GE Morton wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:23 pmYes they are. My comment above, "There is a dualism, but it is neither a "property dualism" nor a "substance dualism." It is only a linguistic dualism . . ." is my own view; I was not attributing it to them.
Okay, but if you think the dualism is merely linguistic or conceptual, then what's the ontological monism underlying it—physical monism, mental monism, neutral monism?
Kant's noumena. And I think we have to take Kant seriously when he says we can know nothing, and say nothing cognitive, about the noumena, beyond that is the cause of the phenomena we experience, all the while recognizing that the noumena is itself a conceptual construct, a postulate.
GE Morton wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:23 pmAs I said in a previous post, the problem with "ontological reducibility" is not with the concept of reducibility, but with that of ontology, which construes it to refer to that which "really exists." We need to de-mystify and de-Platonize that notion, understand it as referring, not to what "really exists," but to what we SAY exists, i.e., how we classify existents we perceive, conceptualize, and postulate, in order to communicate effectively about experience. We then see that we have, not just a property dualism, but a populous property pluralism, with each category of existents having a set of properties unique to it, few of which are, or need be, reducible to properties applicable to other categories of existents.
The property dualism we've been talking about isn't dualistic about the number of properties or the number of kinds of properties, but only about the number of basic, fundamental (and thus irreducible) kinds of properties; so property dualism about basic kinds of properties is perfectly compatible with (>2) property pluralism about properties or kinds of properties.
Generally, when philosophers speak of "fundamental, basic, irreducible" properties they're trying to describe the properties of the noumena. If we take Kant seriously all such propositions are non-cognitive. But we can speak of basic or fundamental properties according to some theory we've contrived of external reality. If that theory has some predictive power we can accept those properties as "fundamental" (until a better theory comes along). I.e., it is only meaningful to describe a property, or an entity, as "fundamental" within the context of some theory. There is no way to "get beyond" phenomena and the theories we devise to explain it, which theories are themselves phenomenal artifacts.
Being a metaontological realist, I think the (primary) subject matter of ontology is "the categorial structure of the world" (to quote the title of a book by Reinhardt Grossmann) rather than the categorial structure of our thought of the world. Of course, metaontological realists use concepts or "ideas" to think about reality, its fundamental nature and structure; but ontology isn't thereby turned into ideology (= "the science of ideas; that department of philosophy or psychology which deals with the origin and nature of ideas" – Oxford Dictionary of English).
If "the world" is equated with the noumena, then we can know nothing about its structure. Any categorical structure we might propose will be of some conceptual model of the world (the noumena) we have invented. We can't test the "accuracy" of that model in "representing" the noumena, because we have no way to compare it to the noumena. We can only test it by assessing its utility in predicting future phenomenal experience.

In a previous post I listed 3 categories to which the term "real" could be fairly applied:

1. Phenomenal reality, i.e., that which we directly experience.
2. The noumena, about which we can say nothing;
3. Conceptual reality --- conceptual constructs which have some utility, including theories of "the world" which have some explanatory and predictive power. Thus trees and rocks are real, quarks and quasars are real, chess and soccer are real, ideas are real, laws and moralities are real, etc. The trick is not to confuse "realities" of one category with those of another, or err in the category in which they belong, or imputing properties of entities in one category to entities in another.
The word "objective" has several meanings, but by "ontologically objective" Searle means "non-experiential and experience-independent" (no direct quote!). For instance, mountains are ontologically objective because they don't depend for their being on being experiences themselves or being experienced (perceived) by some subject(s).
Things can only be non-experiential and independent of experience per some theory, per the ontology postulated by that theory. Or, rather, we can only make meaningful claims to that effect within the context of some theory. We don't know what might be truly "independent of experience."

And, yes, it is commonplace to describe a state of affairs as "objective" and "independent of experience" if it is asserted by a true, objective proposition (one whose truth conditions are publicly confirmable).
Consul

Post by Consul »

@Gertie: Please put the names of the forum members into the quote boxes (in the formally correct way)!
Gertie wrote: August 14th, 2022, 4:55 am
Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pm It's not incoherent within the context of ontological emergentism with its different layers or levels of being and irreducibly different, novel properties on every or at least some layer or level. Note that I'm talking about different, hierarchically organized levels of existence or reality rather than just about different levels of representation (conception, description)!
That is what I'm saying is incoherent. I'm claiming that a material thing in motion (eg a brain) in different types of ways resulting in new properties emerging (like solid lump of ice liquefying), must be ontologically reducible to the material constituents which the new propertis are still comprised of if you're a materialist monist.
Naturalistic emergentism about mental properties is materialistic about their bearers/havers or substrates; that is, emergent mental properties are had by complex/composite material objects or substances, or complexes/composites of noncomplex/noncomposite material objects or substances.

Complex/composite, i.e. mereologically nonsimple, attributes are composed of other attributes; and it would be an ontological category mistake to say that they are composed of objects or substances. Complex attributes have objects or substances as their substrates, but they aren't composed of their substrates, i.e. the things having them.

What is the case according to naturalistic attribute emergentism is that there are material complexes/physical systems (e.g. brains) which as wholes have simple, noncomplex properties that are (causally) emergent from and dependent on, but different from and irreducible to complex or structural properties of the physical systems in question.

Note that complex or structural properties qua non-emergent properties are ontologically reducible to (pluralities of) simple properties or/and relations, whereas emergent properties qua non-complex/non-structural properties are ontologically irreducible!
Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pmIf we take the human brain as an example of a hierarchically organized physical system, there is the highest level of the cerebral system (brain) as a whole, and there is the lowest, basic level of single elementary particles, of which the human brain is fundamentally composed. There are also several intermediate levels ranging from single atoms, single molecules, single cells, to multicellular structures (tissues).
Right. The material brain is ontologically reducible to its material parts down to elementary particles, and its processes are the ways these parts interact, resulting in new properties, still reducible in the same way. This is a coherent account of the material brain and its processes, this is what physics describes, no prob.
What emergentism about mental/experiential properties adds to this description is that certain pluralities of interacting neurons collectively or holistically have certain simple emergent properties, none of which is had by any smaller plurality of neurons, let alone by single neurons.
Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:07 pmAccording to ontological property emergentism, there occur ontologically novel and irreducible emergent properties on at least one nonbasic level of being of the physical system in question.
And this would happen sometimes, with some neural interactions, because...?
It's the ''because'' question I'm asking.
Otherwise the claim amounts to materialist monism being unable to account for apparently irreducible experiential properties, by saying something unaccountable and incoherent in terms of materialism happens and calling it ''emergence''. That doesn't mean it's wrong, as a 'What If...' it works, but so do many contradictory What If claims which don't have this internal incoherence - panpsychism for example.
So it's a big problem for materialists I think, and I'm wondering if they've got an answer to why material stuff might do this?
There's a nod to complexity in another quote, and that seems like it could be relevant because brain interactions are really, really complex. But is that reference to complexity as being somehow mechanistic in terms of irreducible emergence based on anything more than noting brain interactions being really, really complex? That materialism might predict irreducible properties arising from complexity or something?
If there isn't, that's fine.
The appearance of ontically emergent properties in a physical system needn't be predictable on the basis of (more or less complete) empirical knowledge of its basic structure and dynamics.

According to psychological emergentism, it is a fact of nature that certain neural mechanisms cause or produce mental phenomena and others don't, which is not to say that those mechanisms are neuroscientifically unidentifiable, unintelligible, and inexplicable. The neuroscientists are trying hard to discover their workings.

Note that I'm just describing psychological emergentism here without affirming it, because my own position is reductive materialism about mind/consciousness rather than nonreductive/emergentive materialism!
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 14th, 2022, 1:58 pm Note that I'm just describing psychological emergentism here without affirming it, because my own position is reductive materialism about mind/consciousness rather than nonreductive/emergentive materialism!
That is, I believe the neural mechanisms of consciousness don't cause consciousness, because they are consciousness itself.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:32 pmThat is, I believe the neural mechanisms of consciousness don't cause consciousness, because they are consciousness itself.
To be more precise: I believe the neural mechanisms of consciousness don't cause conscious experiences in the emergentist sense, i.e. there is no vertical, upward, inter-level (lower-level to higher-level) causation. The constitutive neural mechanisms of consciousness (which are consciousness itself) involve causal processes too (in the form of physical/chemical/electrical interactions between neurons, molecules, atoms, or particles); but these are cases of non-emergentist causation, i.e. horizontal, "sideways" causation.
Consul

Post by Consul »

GE Morton wrote: August 14th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Consul wrote: August 13th, 2022, 2:34 pmAs far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid ontological emergentism about properties is built on sand, because I think it wrongly presupposes that nonsimple (composite/complex) things (objects/substances) can have simple (noncomposite/noncomplex) properties.
I read the link. The answer to your questions, "Where is H, and what has H?," would seem to be, H(aRb), or, "a and b when related via R have property H." As for where is H, it is wherever aRb is.

I don't think there is any problem with the notion of novel properties "emerging" from complexes of simple (or simpler) things, properties not possessed by any of its parts alone. That occurs all the time --- e.g., an automobile may have the property of "seats 5," or "has a top speed of 210 kph," neither of which is possessed by any of its parts. The problem with it is thinking that it is, per se, an explanation for that novel property, which, unless it is reducible to the properties of the simpler parts, it is not.

I'm not sure, though, what, in your statements above, you're counting as a "simple property," or as a "genuinely real" property. Suppose the automobile masses 1000 kg. Is that a simple property of the car, or a complex property, given that is the sum of the masses of all its parts? Is the mass of a proton simple, or complex? Surely a property having varying values doesn't switch from simple to complex depending on its value.

The real problem here is with the notion of "ontological emergentism," which arises because of an unworkable conception of ontology.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding your argument. ???
By a "genuinely real property" I mean one which isn't just a semantic "shadow" or formal referent of a concept or predicate; and I also mean one which isn't a set of things. The view that properties are sets qua extensions of concepts/predicates is called set-theoretic reductionism or set nominalism about properties—as defended e.g. by David Lewis:

"The simplest plan is to take a property just as the set of all its instances—all of them, this- and other-worldly alike. Thus the property of being a donkey comes out as the set of all donkeys, the donkeys of other worlds along with the donkeys of ours."

(Lewis, David. On the Plurality of Worlds. Oxford: Blackwell, 1986. p. 50)

By a "simple property" I mean one which is mereologically simple, i.e. one which isn't composed of any other properties.

I do not deny that nonsimple (composite/complex) objects or substances can (and do) have properties which aren't possessed by any of its parts, but merely that they can (and do) have mereologically simple, i.e. non-complex or non-structural, properties.

The mass of a nonsimple object is a resultant property rather than an emergent one, because it is nothing over and above the sum of the masses of its simple parts; so I count it among the nonsimple properties of nonsimple objects such as cars. I have no ontological problem with such resultant and thus nonsimple quantities as "holistic" or "systemic" properties of composite objects, because they are ontologically reducible.

My argument—which I borrowed from John Heil—is powerless against those property realists who believe properties in general and emergent ones in particular are Platonic, transcendent universals, which aren't located anywhere in space (spacetime). Transcendent universalism has no location problem with regard to emergent properties, since it generally has no such problem with properties of any kind. They are all equally spatially unlocated.

I am a property realist, but I reject both transcendentism and universalism about them; that is, I think properties are both immanent, i.e. located somewhere in space(time)—where the things having them are located—, and particular, i.e. not multiply and identically instantiatiable by different things at different places but at the same time. According to my view—particularist realism—, to say that two different things at different places have the same property is to say that their properties are only qualitatively identical and not also numerically identical (as postulated by universalist realism). For example, when two men wear the same tie, the sameness is only qualitative, and not also numerical. The two ties are duplicates, but they are not one and the same tie.

If you reject transcendent universalism, and accept immanent universalism or immanent particularism instead (there is no transcendent particularism, as far as I know), then you're confronted with a non-trivial and I think not coherently soluble location problem with regard to mereologically simple emergent properties of mereologically nonsimple objects or substances, because there seems to be nothing (no thing) for them to adhere to or inhere in. Properties aren't independent entities, because they cannot float freely in and through space without being possessed by anything (any thing), without adhering to or inhering in anything (any thing).

QUOTE>
"Suppose that in a complex whole there are two properties, occurring simultaneously, which are linked by nomological necessity. Note that the principle of reducibility does not, so far, require a logical connection between these two properties. The connection between the two properties can be as opaque, conceptually speaking, as you please. However, if one of the two properties is said to be a property of the system as a whole, the principle poses a question: what exactly is it that has the property? By hypothesis, the whole simply is 'in the strict sense, a system of objects'; there is no whole 'over and above' the parts of which it is composed. So whatever nonrelational properties the whole has must consist of properties of, and relations between, the parts; there simply is nothing else of which they could consist. If a property of the whole is not logically grounded in the properties of the parts, then it is 'floating in mid-air', unattached to any real individual—but this is unintelligible."

(Hasker, William. The Emergent Self. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1999. p. 138)
<QUOTE
Consul

Post by Consul »

GE Morton wrote: August 14th, 2022, 12:26 pm I read the link. The answer to your questions, "Where is H, and what has H?," would seem to be, H(aRb), or, "a and b when related via R have property H." As for where is H, it is wherever aRb is.
One is inclined to ascribe the "emergent" property H to the sum of a and b: H(a+b). But how can a+b as a whole have one partless property H when a+b is nothing more than a pair of different and spatially distinct, i.e. non-overlapping, simple objects?
Does H wholly adhere to or inhere in a or b? No, it doesn't, since if it did, it wouldn't be an emergent property of the whole a+b. Does H partly adhere to or inhere in a and partly in b? No, it doesn't, since H doesn't have any parts that could be located at different places at the same time. So where exactly is H then when it is neither wholly nor partly in a or in b? There seems to be no place for it to be!
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

GE
Gertie wrote: ↑August 9th, 2022, 7:29 pm
Interested to see your take. First on how ontological irreducibility can reconcile with substance monism, then it might be clearer how causality could fit in.
As I said above, the problem is not with reducibility (that is fairly easily explained), but with ontology, especially the ontology that postulates a distinction between "physical stuff" and "mental stuff) (mind-body dualism), and the assumption those two categories denote different "realms of reality."

But they don't; they only denote different vocabularies for talking about "reality." But that, of course, obliges me to define "reality." I take there to be 3 categories of "reality" which can be well-defined and have some communicative utility:
I don't think physical and mental denote different realms of reality, like different dimensions or something.   Commonly  the mind-body dichotomomy is seen in terms of different types of properties or fundamental substances.
1. Phenomenal reality, i.e., that which we directly and immediately experience, including sensory percepts and their qualia, moods, emotional states, thoughts, ideas, memories, and all the other contents of the "mental realm." That is the only "reality" of which we can speak with complete certainty; if I have a headache I cannot doubt that I have it; if I see a tree, while I might be uncertain of what causes that percept, I can't deny that I'm having the percept. Cartesian doubt of the existence of conscious phenomena is not possible.

Right, the independent existence of the tree or what it is can be doubted, but the existence of the experience of seeing the tree is certain.
2. External reality, Kant's noumena, a realm of existence which we postulate to exist independently of us and persists even in the absence of any phenomenal experiences by anyone, the purpose of which is to supply some explanation, some cause, for the phenomena of experience (realm #1 above) --- because, per Kant, we are constitutionally compelled to seek, and insist upon, causes for effects, and can find no causes for our own existence and experiences within those experiences.

Here I don't think I'm with Kant's dichotomy. If we're rigorous about the uncertainty of everything but phenomenal conscious experience, we end up with solipsism. Because the you and everybody else but me in the ''we'' postulating a mind  independent reality are part of my postulation.  As I am part of yours.  So number 1 leaves us with solipsism as the only certainty.  Your existence is no less of a postulation than the tree to me. 

So I think Kant has drawn his line in the wrong place.  And really we each have to draw a line between solipsism (only my experience certainly exists) and there being a real independantly existing world 'out there'.

Solipsism is a dead end we can quickly discard for practical purposes. Never-the-less I have to postulate the existence of other minded people, the existence of experience besides my own, via the same method I postulate the existence of the tree - via the content of my experience.

Only once I've done that, I can compare notes with other peeps about the content of our experience, and we can begin to create a shared model of our shared world. 

At that point, we can begin to assess the reliability of conscious experience itself at describing the world we share, come up with third-person falsifiable tests, theories etc.   And we discover together that we are flawed and limited observers and thinkers. 

At which point you can say Kant's noumena kicks in.  But on the basis that I have already assumed other minded people exist along with the other content of my experience like trees,  we've compared notes and realised we are flawed and limited observers and thinkers. And that what we experience as a tree might be a flawed and limited model of the reality.

Where the mind-body issue fits into all this is that our physicalist (third-person falsifiable) shared model of the world doesn't account for mental properties (and doesn't reference mental substance at all).

3. Conceptual reality. That embraces the entire realm of entities, processes, events we conjure up in imagination (subconsciously) and can exchange information about. Some of those entities are constructed involuntarily; they are artifacts produced automatically by neural networks of sufficient size and of the right design; they make up the "phenomenal self-model" and the "phenomenal world model" described by Metzinger. Thus a "tree" is any of many perceptible complexes found in the "world model" which satisfies certain defining criteria. But there are also many constructs consciously created, some tangible (with properties perceptible in the world model), and some intangible, such as laws, moralities, mathematics, theories, and other "abstract" entities.
OK-ish with that, but we distinguish within that that some stuff only exists as experience, while some stuff presumably has mind independent existence. Unless we're idealists.
We may fairly call entities or phenomena in any of those categories "real," as long as we're not confused about to which category they belong.
You're right we should be clear about our ontological frameworks, and people have lots of ideas about how to define the word real. Here we're discussing monist materialism, a recognised category in philosophy of mind. Material brains and phenomenal experience are both considered ontologically  real by Searle and property dualists, both exist. I agree, most people do. Idealists dent material substance exists and eliminativists deny conscious experience exists, but they're outliers we don't need to worry about examining property dualists and Searle on their own terms.

Another approach to the mind-body problem might require going beyond our current materialist model, or more fundamentally, to explain the mind-problem, based on our current physicalist model of what the world is made of and how it works doesn't seem to have an in principle handle on how to explain it. But property dualists and Searle say it does. They say we haven't discovered the neural details yet, but ontological irreducibility being a feature of materialism gets us over the hurdle of material brains instantiating radically different characteristics which are apparently irreducible to brains.

I'm saying ontological materialist irreducibility is incoherent.

The "physical" reality is the misguided half of the "mental/physical" dichotomy. Physical reality is simply one of the constructs, a sub-category of, conceptual reality --- it denotes those elements and processes found in the world model which can be described by the laws of physics, another conceptual construct devised to enable us to explain and thus predict the behaviors of those elements. Thus they are not truly "external" to us, or to consciousness. They are explanatory overlays on the world model, not "representations" of the noumena --- but they can "stand in" for the noumena for many practical purposes.

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't representations of a world out there (I think they are), but remember you only exist to me as part of my experiential representational model, like trees and everything else. Similarly me to you.   So  we have to make some assumptions to have the conversation.  That conversation can then include the nature of the representation.  So lets do that. Lets see how our physicalist model deals with real experience as presented by Searle's biological naturalism and property dualists.  Specifically here, the claims that experience is either caused by or is a property of physical brain processes, but not ontologically reducible to them.

The trouble with ontology is that its theorists imagine their theories speak of what "exists," and that they can know what "really exists." I.e., they imagine they are describing the noumena. But all a useful, coherent ontology can really do is propose a coherent framework for talking about the only thing(s) we know exist, namely, phenomena (category #1). It can propose schemes for categorizing existents, most of which will be conceptual constructs (category #3), and devising terminology for communicating about entitites in each category, many of which will apply only to that category or sub-category.

None of this, of course, solves the "hard problem." There are two transcendental arguments suggesting that problem is unsolvable, and indeed misconceived. First, the terms we use to describe conscious phenomena --- terms for colors, scents, sounds, pains, moods, etc., are primitive, which means they can't be defined using more familiar or more elementary terms. They can only be taught ostensively. (No one can inform Mary as to what she will experience when she leaves the black-and-white room).
Those terms are unanalyzable, and cannot be "reduced" to anything simpler. On the contrary, all other scientific and other descriptive terms reduce to them --- that is the implication of empiricism.
Within the physicalist model we share notes about and have created together, the terms represent an apparent ontologlical irreducibility, not just a linguistic one. Which is why materialist monists have to believe this apparent paradox that experience is ontoligically made of brain stuff but not ontologically reducible to it.  Which is what I'm addressing.  Property Dualists respond with Emergence, Searle responds with Causation.   I'm asking if that makes sense, can experience 'escape' reductionism, what would it mean is going on in terms of brain states in a material monist universe.
Secondly, a conscious system cannot completely model itself, and therefore cannot fully explain itself; it can't model that part of the system doing the modeling. That would require a system larger than the system to be modeled.
I don't see why not, but you  don't need a perfect complete model, you need reliable principles or theories you can apply as needed.  I'm saying property dualism and biological naturalism have flaws as such theories.
Searle says brain processes cause experience, which isn't how we generally think of the internal properties of a system, we don't say H2O molecules cause liquidity or solidity.
Sure we do. The molecules' state of motion determines whether they form a liquid or solid. If they move faster the solid becomes a liquid. But there is, of course, a further cause, a source of heat, which caused the molecules to move faster.
Yes, the heat change is what causes the molecules to move faster, have different properties, but still be ontologically reducible to H2O molecules (plus heat acting on them).
We think of causation in terms of one thing acting on another thing.
We still have that --- molecules acting upon each other.
Searle says the cause of experience is neurons acting on each other, I say then experience is ontologically reducible to neurons acting on each other, like with H2O molecules.  Searle says not, experience caused by brain processes is ontologically irreducible to brain processes.
Searle would not describe conscious experience as a "substance." What is not reducible are the terms we use for denoting those experiences, because those terms are primitive. But we have ample grounds for claiming that neural processes cause experience (which, in my view, is ample grounds for considering consciousness a "physical process").
As I understand it Searle is a monist materialist who believes experience is a natural phenomenon, like digestion. In the particular case of experience, experience isn't some new or different substance being caused to exist, it's just ontologically irreducible to its cause (brain processes).

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream