Money = Freedom

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
JDBowden

Money = Freedom

Post by JDBowden »

Hey

A friend of mine recently told me that, "money is the pathway to freedom."

This is his personal view of everything. It took me back a little... What do you all think of this? It is his philosophy of which he lives. It seems to make him happy, but it is an external to where no end can be reached as it is, "never enough." So, what's up?

jdb
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Money = Freedom

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JDBowden wrote: August 12th, 2022, 7:46 am Hey

This is his personal view of everything. It took me back a little... What do you all think of this? It is his philosophy of which he lives. It seems to make him happy, but it is an external to where no end can be reached as it is, "never enough." So, what's up?
I might guess that 'what's up' is Capitalism. It is a belief system that advocates the pursuit of profit and personal wealth over all other priorities. And, as you say, there are no limits set: however much money one has, it is never enough.

For some (many?) people, this will echo their own feelings. But others value different things, and their aims are different as a result. Some value love, some friendship, and companionship, and others still value privacy and solitude. And so on. And if it's money you value, for whatever reason, then you may well follow the route your friend has taken. Sad (IMO) but true.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

An old-fashioned phrase called rich people "independently wealthy". It meant that they aren't dependent on working to get enough money to eat and live. Clearly, "dependence" limits freedom. As Marx suggested it makes us dependent on the owners of the means of production(in a capitalist society).

Of course one need not be obscenely wealthy to be independently wealthy (although being a millionaire barely qualifies, these days.)
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 12th, 2022, 8:25 am

I might guess that 'what's up' is Capitalism. It is a belief system that advocates the pursuit of profit and personal wealth over all other priorities. And, as you say, there are no limits set: however much money one has, it is never enough.

For some (many?) people, this will echo their own feelings. But others value different things, and their aims are different as a result. Some value love, some friendship, and companionship, and others still value privacy and solitude. And so on. And if it's money you value, for whatever reason, then you may well follow the route your friend has taken. Sad (IMO) but true.
He and I are on vast opposite ends of the spectrum. I find the statement to be absurd, and frankly, depressing.

You stated, "...and others still value privacy and solitude." You used the word, "still." Maybe I am mistaken, but it sounds like you find privacy and solitude old/out dated models. Could you elaborate?
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

Ecurb wrote: August 12th, 2022, 9:45 am An old-fashioned phrase called rich people "independently wealthy". It meant that they aren't dependent on working to get enough money to eat and live. Clearly, "dependence" limits freedom. As Marx suggested it makes us dependent on the owners of the means of production(in a capitalist society).

Of course one need not be obscenely wealthy to be independently wealthy (although being a millionaire barely qualifies, these days.)
60 is the new 40.

Being a millionaire is the new poverty. Or at least it will be soon (as measured in USD).
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JDBowden wrote: August 12th, 2022, 9:54 am You stated, "...and others still value privacy and solitude." You used the word, "still." Maybe I am mistaken, but it sounds like you find privacy and solitude old/out dated models. Could you elaborate?
Yes — you are mistaken, as you suspected. 🤔

I meant only to convey that, while some seek X or Y, others prefer (in this case) privacy and solitude. It was just the end of my short list, terminated in a way that proved to be confusing. <blush> Sorry. 😉

I could as easily have written "while still others value privacy and solitude", but perhaps that wouldn't've been any clearer? 🤔

My bad, as Americans say.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Perhaps you’ve come across the expression, “Money talks. Everyone else has to listen.”

This heuristic, while debatably correct, purports that money is linked to power. If so, it isn’t difficult to see that more power affords one more options, I.e. more freedom.

There may be other priorities than money that are also linked to freedom, but that wouldn’t refute the notion that money is equivalent to freedom.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Several things. There's nothing special about money, it is just an agreed upon way of keeping score between different individuals. According to the independantly wealthy definition given, all retired people are in this category.

As to the effect of money, there is a zone on the low end where the lack of it causes extreme hardship. There is a large zone of wealth where gaining or losing moderate amounts doesn't really change much. Higher levels of money don't really add much in the way of true value.
"As usual... it depends."
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

This is his personal view of everything. It took me back a little... What do you all think of this? It is his philosophy of which he lives. It seems to make him happy, but it is an external to where no end can be reached as it is, "never enough."
Money gives you the ability (or freedom) to obtain the things that can be bought. In a very real way your friend is substantially correct insofar as most of the things that humans immediately desire can be bought. But of course there are many things that cannot be bought, some of which are undermined by money. Further, the things that money cannot buy are often held to be the more important things in life.

In general, though, the fact that money can provide one with leisure ("otium") means that it is an undeniable pathway to freedom. It also happens to be a pathway to various forms of slavery, and most of the wealthy pilgrims are on their way to slavery rather than freedom.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

I see that money makes life easier, as in the sense of what LuckyR stated. If you do not have enough, it is difficult to live day to day.

It also does not bring happiness, however, $40,000 USD/year is the magic level of happiness. Anything below, you struggle to survive; anything above, is just "extra." Thoughts on this?
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

JDBowden wrote: August 13th, 2022, 9:09 am...$40,000 USD/year is the magic level of happiness. Anything below, you struggle to survive; anything above, is just "extra." Thoughts on this?
It looks to be a rather silly idea, stated with zero justification.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

First, I much prefer the Stoic idea of freedom. Stoic freedom is the ability to pursue your desires and avoid things to which you are averse without any impediment. This does not require any magic or superpowers, but only the willingness and/or wisdom to contain your desires and aversions to those things fully within your control. If you wish only to be good and to avoid being bad, no person or circumstance can impede you. If, instead, you are after money, power, esteem and such, well good luck; you'll need it!

Second, I think people conflate money with freedom or happiness due to conflating models with reality. We see that money can buy the things we think might bring freedom or happiness, and so we simply substitute money for these goals. This is about all we can manage, to work within a model, since we have no hard connection to objective truth. Of the models we could choose to use or create ourselves, "money=freedom" or "money=happiness" seem too simple, and evidence abounds that they are not that useful in the long run. LOTS of people win the lottery and end up miserable because they were caught in those models and had no backup plan.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

LuckyR wrote: August 12th, 2022, 3:09 pm Several things. There's nothing special about money, it is just an agreed upon way of keeping score between different individuals. According to the independantly wealthy definition given, all retired people are in this category.
I suppose some retired people are "independently poor", but in general you are right. At least they are free from the necessity of labor.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

JDBowden wrote: August 13th, 2022, 9:09 am I see that money makes life easier, as in the sense of what LuckyR stated. If you do not have enough, it is difficult to live day to day.

It also does not bring happiness, however, $40,000 USD/year is the magic level of happiness. Anything below, you struggle to survive; anything above, is just "extra." Thoughts on this?
Per person or per family?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:12 pm
LuckyR wrote: August 12th, 2022, 3:09 pm Several things. There's nothing special about money, it is just an agreed upon way of keeping score between different individuals. According to the independantly wealthy definition given, all retired people are in this category.
I suppose some retired people are "independently poor", but in general you are right. At least they are free from the necessity of labor.
The way lifetime finances are supposed to work is that you earn and save during your working years and then live off of your savings in retirement. The classic formula is to withdraw 4% of your savings in retirement which is $40,000 per million dollars saved. So if you want to live on $31,000 a year (the US median income) and you have the average Social Security benefit ($19,000) you need $12,000 withdrawal from savings, so you need $300,000 saved (to live at the same level).

I agree with you that half of 65 year olds have less than the average savings of $425k so are, as you say are independently poor, but most aren't.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream