The Art of Thinking — a consideration

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

The Art of Thinking — a consideration

Post by Pattern-chaser »

This topic is intended to be broad rather than deep. I would like to consider the skills and abilities that facilitate 'thinking'. I don't want to drill down so deep we reach hemispheres, lobes, and neurons; I'm not hoping to discover the 'cogniton'.

When I refer to thinking, I mean to be a little bit focussed: trivial and frivolous thought have their place, I'm sure, but that place isn't here in this topic. 😉 I'm referring to serious thought, such as a philosopher or scientist — i.e., any serious thinker — might devote to the object(s) of their attention.

A consideration of the senses would probably start by listing the traditional five senses, and then perhaps move onto the 10 or 20 other 'senses' that some people think we have. I would love this topic to produce an equivalent list of the 'components' of thinking.

So I refer to the "Art" of thinking to keep things abstract, and not become mired in minute detail. If thinking itself is the top (abstract) level, I want to step down just one rung of that ladder, and try to find out what is there. What are the skills and abilities that the Art of Thinking requires?

To most of us, the most obvious member of this list is intellect. Fair enough. But what else belongs on this list? Logic, perhaps? Yes, that would seem to play its part. But there's surely much more than this? Maybe there are tactics and strategy to thinking? Possibly there are techniques or practises that we could learn, that contribute to the Art of Thinking? Are there intrinsic abilities that one must possess to be capable of thinking, in the sense that I have described it here?

Do you have anything to say, suggest, comment, offer or add? I hope so...
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Re: The Art of Thinking — a consideration

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 8:52 am This topic is intended to be broad rather than deep. I would like to consider the skills and abilities that facilitate 'thinking'. I don't want to drill down so deep we reach hemispheres, lobes, and neurons; I'm not hoping to discover the 'cogniton'.

When I refer to thinking, I mean to be a little bit focussed: trivial and frivolous thought have their place, I'm sure, but that place isn't here in this topic. 😉 I'm referring to serious thought, such as a philosopher or scientist — i.e., any serious thinker — might devote to the object(s) of their attention.

A consideration of the senses would probably start by listing the traditional five senses, and then perhaps move onto the 10 or 20 other 'senses' that some people think we have. I would love this topic to produce an equivalent list of the 'components' of thinking.

So I refer to the "Art" of thinking to keep things abstract, and not become mired in minute detail. If thinking itself is the top (abstract) level, I want to step down just one rung of that ladder, and try to find out what is there. What are the skills and abilities that the Art of Thinking requires?

To most of us, the most obvious member of this list is intellect. Fair enough. But what else belongs on this list? Logic, perhaps? Yes, that would seem to play its part. But there's surely much more than this? Maybe there are tactics and strategy to thinking? Possibly there are techniques or practises that we could learn, that contribute to the Art of Thinking? Are there intrinsic abilities that one must possess to be capable of thinking, in the sense that I have described it here?

It is an interesting thread topic because philosophy involves thinking so it is reasonable to enquire about the nature of thought processes. It does involve the intellect and the specific development of analytic skills. Attention is important, especially in looking at details and focusing, such as when listening to others. It also involves introspection and reflection. When I was doing my mental health nurse training there were sessions on reflective practice. One writer in nursing (Johns) spoke of the distinction between reflection in action and after action as two distinct skills. One writer, Gillian Bolton, has written on reflection through journaling and I have found writing in journals as a means of gaining clarity of my own thinking. Of course, writing ideas down on this site is related to that as well.

Part of thinking may be about looking beyond the surfaces, both cognitive behavioral therapy techniques and some psychoanalytic ones involve understanding the aspects of the mind which are unconscious, bringing these to consciousness. In particular, cognitive behaviour therapy focuses on gaining awareness of core beliefs underlying emotions. The understanding and awareness of emotions of oneself and other people is crucial to thinking as well, as suggested in the idea of emotional intelligence.

Jung's idea of the four functions is also important, including sensation, feeling, rationality and intuition. He argues that it is important to have as many of these developed as possible, as some may be barely present at all and most people have one that is more developed than others. It is likely that people who are inclined towards philosophy have rationality as the most dominant one. I had a tutor on my art therapy course tell me that that my dominant one is rationalisation. I think that one of my least developed is sensation because I am have always been poor at sports and didn't manage to learn to swim. Of course, physical skills are not really thinking skills as such, but they do involve the body in reception of stimuli as a basis for processing experience and basic reactions.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I have seen some who scoff at Edward de Bono, but I think he has put into words many aspects of thinking that we have all always known, but not consciously. One useful example of his ideas is his Six Hats, a set of different 'modes' of thinking, probably applied sequentially. I'm sure there are many other examples, but I don't know of them. Do you? 🤔

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Thanks for replying, Jack. 👍
JackDaydream wrote: August 20th, 2022, 10:00 am Philosophy involves thinking so it is reasonable to enquire about the nature of thought processes. It does involve the intellect and the specific development of analytic skills.
This caught my attention, although maybe my attention has been captured by a simple choice of words, and I have imagined a meaning as we often do when we find faces in clouds? What occurred to me is this, that analytic skills require data — evidence, measurements, etc — to analyse. So thinking of this type is limited to empirically-derived data. Some (many?) ideas begin with imagination or speculation. The discovery of the benzene ring is a famous example.

So I agree that analytic skills are of value, but intellect and analysis alone are an inadequate and dangerous combination, IMO. I say that only to emphasise that there are many aspects to thinking, and we do ourselves no favours if we assume a too-short list of components. But I'm sure that's not where you were headed with this anyway. 😉👍

JackDaydream wrote: August 20th, 2022, 10:00 am ...cognitive behavioral therapy techniques and some psychoanalytic ones involve understanding the aspects of the mind which are unconscious, bringing these to consciousness.
Hmm. This worries me a bit, too. I suppose there are two types of things that are 'unconscious'. One type is normally outside consciousness, but we can, perhaps with training (?), bring them into our awareness, as we were only ignoring them, not unable to 'see' them. The other type is permanently outside of consciousness. I.e. It is not, under any circumstances, available to introspection. Such matters cannot be brought into awareness, it is impossible. And I think it is only the latter that usefully carry the label "unconscious".

Often, ideas that began as unconscious musings are passed into consciousness, and we are able to enjoy the result(s). But the birth and development of these mental 'children' is forever hidden from us. Only when they are all grown-up do they turn up in consciousness and say "hi!" 😉 ...and perhaps the ideas that never really grow up — i.e. they turn out not to be useful, valid, valuable or viable — never appear in consciousness, so we don't even know they were there? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I found this list on the net. I'm not sure what I was expecting, so I'm not sure if this is it or not! 😉

Core Thinking Skills

Thinking skills are cognitive operations or processes that are the building blocks of thinking. There are several core thinking skills including focusing, organizing, analysing, evaluating and generating.

Focusing — attending to selected pieces of information while ignoring other stimuli.

Remembering — storing and then retrieving information.

Gathering — bringing to the conscious mind the relative information needed for cognitive processing.

Organizing — arranging information so it can be used more effectively.

Analysing — breaking down information by examining parts and relationships so that its organizational structure may be understood.

Connecting — making connections between related items or pieces of information.

Integrating — connecting and combining information to better understand the relationship between the information.

Compiling — putting parts together to form a whole or building a structure or pattern from diverse elements.

Evaluating — assessing the reasonableness and quality of ideas or materials on order to present and defend opinions.

Generating — producing new information, ideas, products, or ways of viewing things.
Do you (not) see anything missing here? Some aspect of thinking that you consider important that is overlooked in the above list? Perhaps you feel it's a bit dry, academic, and maybe too work-oriented?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Broadly but not deeply: skepticism, curiosity, memory, judgment, analytical skills, vocabulary, search & research skills…
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 10:49 am Thanks for replying, Jack. 👍
JackDaydream wrote: August 20th, 2022, 10:00 am Philosophy involves thinking so it is reasonable to enquire about the nature of thought processes. It does involve the intellect and the specific development of analytic skills.
This caught my attention, although maybe my attention has been captured by a simple choice of words, and I have imagined a meaning as we often do when we find faces in clouds? What occurred to me is this, that analytic skills require data — evidence, measurements, etc — to analyse. So thinking of this type is limited to empirically-derived data. Some (many?) ideas begin with imagination or speculation. The discovery of the benzene ring is a famous example.

So I agree that analytic skills are of value, but intellect and analysis alone are an inadequate and dangerous combination, IMO. I say that only to emphasise that there are many aspects to thinking, and we do ourselves no favours if we assume a too-short list of components. But I'm sure that's not where you were headed with this anyway. 😉👍

JackDaydream wrote: August 20th, 2022, 10:00 am ...cognitive behavioral therapy techniques and some psychoanalytic ones involve understanding the aspects of the mind which are unconscious, bringing these to consciousness.
Hmm. This worries me a bit, too. I suppose there are two types of things that are 'unconscious'. One type is normally outside consciousness, but we can, perhaps with training (?), bring them into our awareness, as we were only ignoring them, not unable to 'see' them. The other type is permanently outside of consciousness. I.e. It is not, under any circumstances, available to introspection. Such matters cannot be brought into awareness, it is impossible. And I think it is only the latter that usefully carry the label "unconscious".

Often, ideas that began as unconscious musings are passed into consciousness, and we are able to enjoy the result(s). But the birth and development of these mental 'children' is forever hidden from us. Only when they are all grown-up do they turn up in consciousness and say "hi!" 😉 ...and perhaps the ideas that never really grow up — i.e. they turn out not to be useful, valid, valuable or viable — never appear in consciousness, so we don't even know they were there? 🤔
You know that I get accused of speculation often by stevie and I also am.a daydreamer, enjoying imagination. At school I used to get told off for staring up at the ceiling or out of the window, and I was really lost in a world of thought. Some people don't seem to like thinking and always have to be doing something, like watching the television or doing a crossword puzzle, even while on busses. I value thinking as a source of inspiration and ideas. I am also in favour of greater awareness of my unconscious and what I found helpful through knowing CBT therapists as work colleagues was the whole emphasis on becoming one's own therapist. However, that is not to say that there aren't some difficult aspects to this, especially recognition of one's faults and weaknesses. It is a case of learning to see one's blindspots and having to live with them or work on improving them.

One book which I read about a year ago was Iain McGilchrist's, 'The Master and the Emissary: The Divided Brain and Making of the Western World'. He looks at the different hemispheres in thinking. He points to the right brain as being more synthetic and metaphorical, as the master, with the left brain as more fragmentary. However, he draws on neuroscience and the complexity of the hemispheres because it is not a simple clear divide. He also connects the division between imagination and fragmented forms of rationality in connection with historical periods, with the more dominance of the left with the twentieth century and the more imaginative as being in movements such as the romantic philosophers.

Fairly recently, I read Daniel Kahnemann's ' Thinking Fast and Slow', as two different approaches in thinking, with the fast taking the fuller picture and the slower as the more analytical. It makes sense to me because I know that I have different modes of reading, often the first being a quick one and, then, if it is important I will go through and read a second time. I often find aspects appear quite different during the slower approach. Often, in approaching aspects of daily life, even though it may be necessary to act in the moment, the slower approach seems to be about a wider perspective, with more attention to all kinds of relevant details.
stevie

Post by stevie »

vanity
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:38 pmvanity
I don't see how you can dismiss thinking as vanity because it is central to life and all innovation. It is based on language which is at the core of human culture. If anything, it is the focus on images, as appearances which is more a form of vanity, or narcissism. Thinking is the way of gaining depth and understanding.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:46 pm
stevie wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:38 pmvanity
I don't see how you can dismiss thinking as vanity ...
Thinking just happens. I can't see how my word(s) "dismiss thinking as vanity".
JackDaydream wrote: August 20th, 2022, 2:46 pm Thinking is the way of gaining depth and understanding.
Vanity.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:22 am I found this list on the net. I'm not sure what I was expecting, so I'm not sure if this is it or not! 😉

Core Thinking Skills

Thinking skills are cognitive operations or processes that are the building blocks of thinking. There are several core thinking skills including focusing, organizing, analysing, evaluating and generating.

Focusing — attending to selected pieces of information while ignoring other stimuli.

Gathering — bringing to the conscious mind the relative information needed for cognitive processing.

Analysing — breaking down information by examining parts and relationships so that its organizational structure may be understood.

Integrating — connecting and combining information to better understand the relationship between the information.

Compiling — putting parts together to form a whole or building a structure or pattern from diverse elements.

Evaluating — assessing the reasonableness and quality of ideas or materials on order to present and defend opinions.

Generating — producing new information, ideas, products, or ways of viewing things.
Do you (not) see anything missing here? Some aspect of thinking that you consider important that is overlooked in the above list? Perhaps you feel it's a bit dry, academic, and maybe too work-oriented?
Imagining
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
feinbird

Post by feinbird »

chewybrian wrote: August 20th, 2022, 3:22 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:22 am I found this list on the net. I'm not sure what I was expecting, so I'm not sure if this is it or not! 😉

Core Thinking Skills

Imagining
That's a crucial point
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

• Focusing — attending to selected pieces of information while ignoring other stimuli.
  • Remembering — storing and then retrieving information.
  • Gathering — bringing to the conscious mind the relative information needed for cognitive processing.
  • Organizing — arranging information so it can be used more effectively.
  • Analysing — breaking down information into parts and relationships so that its organizational structure may be understood.
  • Connecting — making connections between related items or pieces of information.
  • Integrating — connecting and combining information to better understand the relationship between the information.
  • Compiling — putting parts together to form a whole or building a structure or pattern from diverse elements.
  • Evaluating — assessing the reasonableness and quality of ideas or materials on order to present and defend opinions.
  • Generating — producing new information, ideas, products, or ways of viewing things.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:22 am Do you (not) see anything missing here? Some aspect of thinking that you consider important that is overlooked in the above list? Perhaps you feel it's a bit dry, academic, and maybe too work-oriented?
chewybrian wrote: August 20th, 2022, 3:22 pm
  • Imagining
[Edited to visually match the above list.]

Yes, of course! 😊 Imagination is an essential part of exploratory thinking, as well as for discovering creative solutions to some problems our thinking reveals. As a professional designer, much of my job involved thinking, and my path toward design solutions would have been impossible to walk without (imaginative and creative) thinking. Outside a work environment, thought remains possible (😯), and imagination is an important part of that thinking too.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 8:52 am This topic is intended to be broad rather than deep. I would like to consider the skills and abilities that facilitate 'thinking'. I don't want to drill down so deep we reach hemispheres, lobes, and neurons; I'm not hoping to discover the 'cogniton'.

PC!

Since you mention the concept of Art, I thought of the book Emotional Intelligence (which I have). Your 'tatics' or 'strategies' towards thinking correspond to this model. EI relates to the ways in which individuals use their emotions to understand situations, or the information, and reach conclusions. Awareness is the key there. Emotionally intelligent individuals are more likely to have a better understanding of themselves and to make conscious decisions based on both emotion and rationale combined.

There are all sorts of Models that bear this out. The 'mixed-model' is:

Self-awareness – the ability to know one's emotions, strengths, weaknesses, drives, values and goals and recognize their impact on others while using gut feelings to guide decisions.
Self-regulation – involves controlling or redirecting one's disruptive emotions and impulses and adapting to changing circumstances.
Social skill – managing relationships to get along with others
Empathy – considering other people's feelings especially when making decisions
Motivation – being aware of what motivates them.

Some other 'pragmatic' or practical applications that I like are:

Perceiving emotions – the ability to detect and decipher emotions in faces, pictures, voices, and cultural artifacts—including the ability to identify one's own emotions. Perceiving emotions represents a basic aspect of emotional intelligence, as it makes all other processing of emotional information possible.
Using emotions – the ability to harness emotions to facilitate various cognitive activities, such as thinking and problem-solving. The emotionally intelligent person can capitalize fully upon his or her changing moods in order to best fit the task at hand.

And so where the 'Art' comes into play is when we can improvise our approaches to fit our daily interactions. We can be flexible enough to allow ourselves to wear 'different hats' depending on each happenstance. The idea is that we become more well-rounded as individuals, sentient creatures or Beings. Our level of awareness is at a higher level because we don't repress emotions but instead, we use them for what they are.

From basic brain biology, we are more 'complete' since we are using both left and right-brain's effectively, including the limbic system. It's a means to and end. It's starts with awareness though. That's one reason the music curriculum is important for children. It teaches or requires you to use different parts of the brain. Not being able to use all of what you have corresponds to being incomplete as a person.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 20th, 2022, 8:52 am

Yes, Aristotle did talk about deliberation[/i, which is an active practice of thinking that includes looking to the future as we make plans, choosing and assessing each available alternative to get the best results. I remember being drilled at schools to "brainstorm" about a project. So, this tells me that intellect does not automatically result in deliberation. We were taught how to deliberate, lol. :)
Hungry

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream