The Art of Thinking — a consideration

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: The Art of Thinking — a consideration

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Tom Butler wrote: August 27th, 2022, 2:14 pm A person must hold a Ph.D. to be a proper parapsychologist. As such, my BSEEE makes me a layperson. The result is a rather bright line between academically trained researchers and laypeople like me. This divide looks a lot like the professor-student divide in college. One tells, one asks. It is not a reciprocal process.
I am not a teacher. I'm not temperamentally-equipped to be one. 😉 But my understanding is that the student and the teacher learn from one another. If this is not the case, is the teaching being done properly?

Tom Butler wrote: August 27th, 2022, 2:14 pm It is from my perspective of a practitioner and lay researcher that I witness the academic mentality.

It has been my experience that people with advanced degrees tend to be dogmatic about accepted "truth." Each of us tend to distrust "truth" that is very different from our worldview. I think because they are so well trained that Ph.Ds. always begin with culturally given truths. I think laypeople tend to be more open to new ideas because they are culturally taught to ask academics for guidance.
I think this is about the way that, in recent times, we have come to distrust 'experts' of all types and kinds. We don't need advanced degrees to be dogmatic, or even bigoted. We all do it; all of us, almost without exception. But the operative word here is "distrust", because I think this mindset is all about trust.

We distrust the sayings of experts because we suspect they have, or might have, ulterior motives that they are not admitting. But this lack of trust results from a humanity-wide distrust of everyone, for exactly the reasons I have just described. Experts is a word we use to describe those who have some learning in a particular field. These are people who we might reasonably expect to know more than most about their specialities. They are definitely the right people to ask for their opinions, when we are interested in their specialities. But we don't trust them. We don't trust politicians either, or media news channels, or the police... We don't trust anyone. We prefer to believe our own opinions, no matter what they might be.

This loss of trust has a very great cost. But it is not limited to academics, or those who are highly educated, I don't think. And I can't see how scientists differ from engineers in this regard.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

I wanted to improve on the understanding of what is wanted. So, I applied the flowchart to the question of thinking. Some opinion referred to ‘minutiae’ as the first report. That is the first hat. In the second report made of one twentieth of the first a redacted version based on my personal bias and logic was produced. From this a ten-paragraph report was done. A very good report. It has pictures. Very, very good report. However, the report is never finished as I could work the system from the last produced report. The last hat was an interesting one since it would be thinking logical against my bias. If I had a preference, I would outsource it to sculptor.
Tom Butler

Post by Tom Butler »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 28th, 2022, 7:08 am This loss of trust has a very great cost. But it is not limited to academics, or those who are highly educated, I don't think. And I can't see how scientists differ from engineers in this regard.
Try this. Cultural norms are one of the most powerful influences on our thoughts. In science, it is the prevailing theory. In politics, it is the school of thought like conservative or humanitarian. In my study, there are three dominant schools of thought. I refer to them as Physicalism (all is explained with known principles), Physical Dualism (Physicalism is mostly right but there is also a nonphysical aspect of reality) and Strict Dualism (Physicalism is right for the physical but does not allow for a possible nonphysical aspect of reality).

There is hardly any crossover from one school of thought to another. Also, when Physicalists, for instance, authors a research report, they virtually never indicate their school of thought. The result is that it is difficult for people to tell if they have conducted good science or biased science.

Laypeople in my community are inclined to be Strict Dualists. When a Physicalist gives them guidance, most think it is coming from "a friend of their beliefs" because of the journal. When they discover the misdirection, that distrust you speak of come up. We also see this with pro-gun advocates, anti-climate change advocates, and recently, with anti maskers.

A defense from misguiding advice is to compare the implications of the different schools of thought. From my observations, people who become engineers are more inclined to examine the implications of a "truth." They are also trained to be aware of and compare the viability of different schools of thought. Scientists tend to embody the school of thought and seem to lack the tools to contradict cultural norms.

While scientists speculate "what if," engineers apply what is established. Intellectual honesty with scientists seems only a facto when they are teaching. Engineering honesty is virtually always a factor.

By the way, my version of the Golden rule is "Teach me as I teach you." We are all teachers in the sense that we are always role models for what we think is "truth."
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Tom Butler wrote: August 26th, 2022, 8:52 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: August 26th, 2022, 9:15 am As James infamously points out, in our own stream of consciousness, conscious thoughts often times happen to us, not by us. In this sense, we have no control over it; it does what it pleases despite our will and in spite of ourselves to control it. It will take up subject’s entirely independent of us.
If you think of the functional area of mind as being "hardwired" to explain, the continuous input of environmental information is going to produce a mental chatter of information emerging into consciousness. The explaining is likely going to wander from about one input to another. In meditation, it is that chatter one seeks to organize into silence. A person learning lucid dreaming seeks to look "into" that chatter, so to speak, so as to understand the environmental inputs causing the chatter.

One of the more useful concepts in First Sight Theory is the idea that our perception forming mental processes tend to turn toward or away from information. For instance, our worldview is predisposed to turn toward environmental information pertinent to self-survival It turns away from environmental signals from the body related to ordinary living like the pressure of a chair on the butt.

Turning away or toward something is not directly manageable. However, by habitually wondering about our world, conscious self sends an intentionality signal to our perceptual processes to selectively pay attention. For instance, the task of a spiritual seeker is to align worldview with the actual nature of reality. That is the definition of lucidity. One way this alignment is accomplished is to habitually examine the implication of thoughts, choices and actions with the intention to understand their implications.

You talked about "wonder" in your "viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18176" post. That seems another way to say the person seeks to correctly sense. Wondering tells mind to turn toward greater understanding. I think temperament is also an important factor.

By the way, have you noticed a difference in attitude about the treatment of information between a scientists and engineers? It seems to be a pragmatic-myopic dichotomy.

Interesting discussion.
TB!

Yeah Tom, I think it certainly can lead us back to the 'synthetic a priori' kinds of thinking. Meaning, most all theories start with synthetic propositions that can in-turn be tested. In this context, it becomes logically necessary to have a sense of wonderment and/or a curious mind from the start. And in that sense the thing called wonderment is the cause of much quality of life stuff that we continue to value. Too, that also leads to the mysteries associated with wonder itself, since it confers little if any biological survival advantages (when instinct is all that's necessary to effect its purpose).

I think whether its an anthropic principle of some kind, or some other theological system of morphic resonance, a self-organized thing-in-itself that causes existence does indeed remain an intriguing phenomena. The thing that processes genetically coded information is that which Hawking was searching for in his equation's.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 28th, 2022, 6:50 am
LuckyR wrote: August 27th, 2022, 9:08 pm Engineers are trained to never be wrong, since folks aren't into bridges falling down. They typically apply known principles to both routine and novel problems. In rare instances they can be called upon to apply new types of information and/or the incompletely known, but this still falls into the situation where there is no tolerance of error.

Scientists are trained to think outside of the box, to consider the unlikely and/or counterintuitive AND THEN find out the correct answer.
I agree with the general tone of your reply, but I would point out what I think might be a misconception. Engineers are normally and usually called upon to design and develop new solutions to (new?) problems. If a solution already existed, the engineer's services would not be required. This is not rare, it is typical. But the tolerance for errors is still as you say! 👍

As for your last sentiment: it is my own understanding that scientists are specifically not trained to "think outside of the box". Speculation, for example, a vital component of the practice of science, is not taught, or even referred-to, during a scientific education.
I think we are in agreement, but better definitions of terms are warranted. True, engineers commonly solve unique SITUATIONS, but they do so with well understood materials and physics equations, thus novel designs are the challenge. In rare cases they need to use novel materials whose properties under these unique conditions are UNKNOWN, this is the situation where guesswork is involved (and commonly where failure occurs for that very reason).

As to scientists, you are correct as to didactic, classroom instruction, but advanced degrees in science have research requirements that are hopefully all about breakthroughs (a new understanding) and not minimal incrementalism. Though you are right, it is possible to obtain an advanced degree in science without considering breakthrough ideas, but the ability to obtain funding for an academic research career by proposing research that merely pushes the boundaries of understanding by a small degree is actually quite difficult.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Barring PhDs, it seems to me that universities simply extend the rote learning and required regurgitation processes of high school. If we want people to think better, we need to find better ways of educating than the usual 19th century stick-lots-of-them-in-a-room-and-talk-at-them approach. The setting is grotesque for sensitive teens, and it generally does not help students think. The evidence of the failure of the education system is in the number of young people who implicitly believe what they are told on social media.

I think educators could do worse than consider Elon Musk's ideas: https://insideevs.com/news/541442/tesla ... education/

While it's important to pass knowledge down, it's ever more important for young people to learn to think logically and rationally. Maybe they will reject rationalism for idealism, but it would at least be an informed decision. However, leaders throughout history have had a vested interest in keeping the populace clueless so they can more easily get away with sly skulduggery.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:38 pm Barring PhDs, it seems to me that universities simply extend the rote learning and required regurgitation processes of high school. If we want people to think better, we need to find better ways of educating than the usual 19th century stick-lots-of-them-in-a-room-and-talk-at-them approach. The setting is grotesque for sensitive teens, and it generally does not help students think. The evidence of the failure of the education system is in the number of young people who implicitly believe what they are told on social media.

I think educators could do worse than consider Elon Musk's ideas: https://insideevs.com/news/541442/tesla ... education/

While it's important to pass knowledge down, it's ever more important for young people to learn to think logically and rationally. Maybe they will reject rationalism for idealism, but it would at least be an informed decision. However, leaders throughout history have had a vested interest in keeping the populace clueless so they can more easily get away with sly skulduggery.
Well I was referring specifically to advanced degrees, which would almost be required to work as a scientist (as opposed to getting a science degree).

So you're saying that young people are less likely to be fooled by online content than old people?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: August 29th, 2022, 10:59 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:38 pm Barring PhDs, it seems to me that universities simply extend the rote learning and required regurgitation processes of high school. If we want people to think better, we need to find better ways of educating than the usual 19th century stick-lots-of-them-in-a-room-and-talk-at-them approach. The setting is grotesque for sensitive teens, and it generally does not help students think. The evidence of the failure of the education system is in the number of young people who implicitly believe what they are told on social media.

Well I was referring specifically to advanced degrees, which would almost be required to work as a scientist (as opposed to getting a science degree).

So you're saying that young people are less likely to be fooled by online content than old people?
Older people were educated more or less the same way. We became less gullible through experience and independent learning than being droned at by a teacher along with dozens of semi-civilised, and sometimes dangerous, beings.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: August 30th, 2022, 12:08 am

Older people were educated more or less the same way. We became less gullible through experience and independent learning than being droned at by a teacher along with dozens of semi-civilised, and sometimes dangerous, beings.
I agree that people acquire wisdom over time, but that is independent of education styles.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: August 30th, 2022, 4:18 am

I agree that people acquire wisdom over time, but that is independent of education styles.
Only because almost all of us have come through the same antiquated system.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Meta
think whether its an anthropic principle of some kind, or some other theological system of morphic resonance, a self-organized thing-in-itself that causes existence does indeed remain an intriguing phenomena. The thing that processes genetically coded information is that which Hawking was searching for in his equation's.
There is the basic process and its methods.
the theological system of morphic resonance.
What is it? I would consider the Anthropic principle as “survival” and the theological system of morphic resonance as good or the privation of good if this is the intended.
Syborg
as the meaning of good.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: August 30th, 2022, 6:57 am

Intriguing question, but causality has yet to be established.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: August 31st, 2022, 4:14 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 30th, 2022, 6:57 am
Intriguing question, but causality has yet to be established.
The famously poor standard of the public conversation on any given topic establishes at least some degree of causality.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Not everyone is capable of a high standard of conversation, and, of those that are, many prefer to spend their time on more pleasing (to them) pursuits. Personally, I find this baffling, but I must accept the empirical evidence. Many genuinely-bright people don't read when they can avoid it. Can you imagine?! 😱
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 1st, 2022, 8:27 am Not everyone is capable of a high standard of conversation, and, of those that are, many prefer to spend their time on more pleasing (to them) pursuits. Personally, I find this baffling, but I must accept the empirical evidence. Many genuinely-bright people don't read when they can avoid it. Can you imagine?! 😱
It was not always the way. Mainstream society has dumbed down. One need not be a reader, certainly if one's preferred learning style is strongly visual, auditory or kinaesthetic. There's plenty of high quality multimedia content and interactive programs available.

It comes down to curiosity, or the lack. The education system does little to fire up curiosity.

There are other issues behind the growing collective loss of the ability to reason. Desensitisation. Excessive abstraction of reality. Tribalism. Inequality. Fear of the future. Loss of touch with nature. Loss of faith at having any chance to live the "[insert nation] Dream" or make a mark on the world. Nihilism due to loss of religious crutch. People struggle to think clearly when they are afraid or angry.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream