Assigning number values to none existent things

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Halc

Re: Assigning number values to none existent things

Post by Halc »

GE Morton wrote: September 10th, 2022, 7:24 pm Having no known cause is not the same as having no cause.
Fair enough. An entirely deterministic interpretation like Bohmian has hidden causes for such things.
White holes are a source of uncaused events, but the are no known white holes, despite their being a valid solution to Einstein's field equations. Plenty of nonexistent things (e.g. tachyons) are allowed by those equations.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Halc wrote: September 9th, 2022, 12:03 pm I seem to be keeping you quite busy. Not intentional, but you seem to be the only one posting interesting topics.
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 9th, 2022, 10:40 am Causation laws either posit infinite regress or some logically necessary thing-in-itself that caused the theoretical BB.

Hence the proposition: all events must have a cause.
Such laws have never been demonstrated, and are demonstrably false. Quantum mechanics has effects without cause, so that’s an example of uncaused occurrences. Another example is the abrupt end of time in a black hole, which, given the symmetry of time, also allows the abrupt beginning of time in the same way. None of these things violate the laws of the universe, but they do violate this causation ‘law’ you quoted above.
First-cause is only a problem for realism: How to explain the reality of whatever it is you consider real. Under presentism for instance, the universe is not there, and then later on it is. That’s a serious issue.
I’ve seen a paper that managed to compete with Einstein’s relativity theory (a century too late), denying both premises of special relativity. It is esssentially a generalization of LET, something nobody ever published in the 20th century. It gets around the big bang problem and the black hole problem by denying both, replacing them with a big bounce and a sort of egg-shell model near the nonexistent ‘space’ within.

Sure Halc (and thank you btw). Either way though, the most intriguing part about the causes of actually asking about causes, is that it in itself, it confers no biological survival value. And most importantly, asides from imaginary leap's, all physical theories start with synthetic propositions (all events must have a cause) since they can be tested.

Too, there will always be wonder and curiosity effecting the human condition. There is no escape. The good news is, wondering about the why's (along with what, where, when, how, who, etc.) ironically enough, effects our quality of life stuff! Without such properties of conscious existence, there would be little advancement within the human condition.

Halc wrote:And irrational numbers are said to be transcendent.
No idea what you mean by that. How is √2 more 'trancendent' than 7/5?
Poorly worded on my part. √2 is irrational but not transcendent since it is the solution to x² = 2.
Steady state theory. A sense of eternity.
Steady-state theory is a denial of entropy progression. It says that the universe looks more or less the same for all of time. It makes all sorts of predictions that don’t match empirical evidence.
This isn’t a multiverse view, and my question was what sort of multiverse you were referencing. There’s a bunch of different kinds.

I was just broad brushing it. Remember, if something exists, everything exists.
If something exists, everything exists.
Even self-contradictory things? I mean, I can make a square circle, but some things just don't work.
Yes even contradictory things exist. A simple example from logic is three fold:

1. There exists at least one true proposition. (Logical necessity.)
2. This statement is false. (Propositions/contradictions from self-reference.)
3. Socrates: What Plato is about to say is false. Plato: Socrates has just spoken truly.
There’s no contradiction with the existence of any of those statements. The contradiction is only in the assignment of a truth value to them. I was looking for an example of something the existence of which is a contradiction.
[/quote]

There is of course contradiction because, as you suggest, because their truth values are either incomplete (Heisenberg), paradoxical or contradict one another. But hey, that's logic for you! Think of the laws of physics themselves, as being metaphysical, unchanging laws, that describe the physical existence of not only physical things, but a world of change. Kind of reminds me of the mind-body problem when you think about it. It all relates to diametrically opposing features of how the world works, and how one thinks about stuff.

Similarly, aside from the existence of those existing propositions that are contradictory, and the contradictory unchanging mathematical laws themselves, it's worth mentioning that one's own conscious existence is contradictory yet exists. The infamous driving while daydreaming riddle bears witness. Hence the proposition: I was driving and not driving. It's a true statement, but logically impossible.

Many of us existentialists find truth in contradiction. Isn't the idea of quantum phenomena and relativity supposed to somehow unite or resolve two opposing features of the universe? There exists both determinism (causation) and indeterminism (QM) in the universe.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:59 am
The infamous driving while daydreaming riddle bears witness. Hence the proposition: I was driving and not driving. It's a true statement, but logically impossible.
No, it is not a true statement. It is a self-contradictory and therefore false statement. Amazing how you cling to that "riddle," continue to think it meaningful, long after it has been refuted and the conceptual error involved explained.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Halc wrote: September 9th, 2022, 12:03 pmQuantum mechanics has effects without cause, so that’s an example of uncaused occurrences.
The phrase "causeless effect" is a contradiction in terms, since "effect" is defined as "caused event". You may consistently say instead that QM has events without cause, but a causeless or uncaused event is not an effect.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
3017Metaphysician

GE Morton wrote: September 12th, 2022, 11:27 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:59 am
The infamous driving while daydreaming riddle bears witness. Hence the proposition: I was driving and not driving. It's a true statement, but logically impossible.
No, it is not a true statement. It is a self-contradictory and therefore false statement. Amazing how you cling to that "riddle," continue to think it meaningful, long after it has been refuted and the conceptual error involved explained.
GE!

Shame on you. Mama said you were still in time out :D Seriously, though, it's a true statement of contradiction making it logically impossible, yet exists! That's how the conscious and subconscious minds work together. Amazing isn't it!

Remember conscious phenomena is both/and; not either/or. Logic is/either.

LOL
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Consul

Post by Consul »

GE Morton wrote: September 10th, 2022, 6:59 pm
Consul wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:58 pmI am a physicalist, and physicalists certainly do claim that all existents are physical (or reducible to physical ones); but this metaphysical claim is different from and doesn't entail the semantic claim that "existence" is synonymous with "physical existence". If it were, then physicalism would be a necessary analytic truth per definitionem, which it surely isn't.
Well, that is an interesting distinction, but surely your metaphysics must deal with non-physical existents ("semantically" speaking) somehow. Are you suggesting we coin a different term than "exists" for the latter (e.g., thoughts, ideas, memories, etc.)? What would be the advantage of doing so, compared with simply understanding "exists" as applying to the 3 conceptually distinguishable realms of phenomena I mentioned, with different implications for each realm?

I've said before that I think semantics takes priority over metaphysics, that the entire purpose of the latter is to explain experience and communicate about it. A metaphysics that denies the existence of the very experience it purports to explain would seem to be self-mooting and self-refuting.
Materialists needn't be eliminativists about subjective experience. Materialist reductionism can be eliminative, but it can be conservative as well. I am a conservatively reductive materialist!

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-physical existents". If you mean "non-physicSal existents", i.e. entities which belong to some scientific ontology other than the one of physics, then physicalists can happily acknowledge such non-physicSal entities as long as they don't turn out to be non-physical entities, i.e. ones which are ontologically irreducible to entities belonging to the ontology of physics.

I reject Alexius Meinong's distinction between different kinds of Dasein (being-there), between existence and subsistence. If there are immaterial, abstract, or ideal entities, they are not ontologically different from material or concrete ones in the sense that the former subsist, while the latter exist. Their difference is not a difference in Dasein but in Sosein (being-thus, essence, nature).
Consul wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:58 pm No, what I wrote doesn't entail that! An object of thought/imagination can but needn't exist.
Again, doesn't it exist as a thought/imagination whether or not it exists as an external, physical entity? Sorry, but your claim there entails that unexpressed thoughts and imaginary entities don't exist.
My claim does entail that imaginary entities do not exist. Note that "imaginary" and "imagined" aren't synonyms! All imaginary objects are imagined, but not all imagined objects are imaginary, since I can imagine non-imaginary, i.e. existent/real, things as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unexpressed thoughts" – sentences in a subconscious "language of thought", Fregean thoughts = abstract propositions? (I don't believe in the existence of abstract propositions.)

Once again, in the case of an imaginary object of imagination, the act of imagining exists and the object of imagining does not exist.
Consul wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:58 pmMere objects of thought/imagination do not exist.
Aha! If those don't exist, of what are we speaking? A unicorn, say, must be something, not a nothing (we can't say anything about nothings!) Doesn't being something entail existing, in some sense?
Yes, but being thought to be something does not! Being represented to be X doesn't entail being X!
We can meaningfully think and talk about the Sosein (essence or nature) of unicorns without having to impute any form of Dasein (existence or subsistence) to them.
Consul wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:58 pmThat is, if something is nothing but/more than/over and above an object of thought/imagination, it doesn't exist. And, again, merely being an object of thought/imagination isn't a kind or way of being.
I see no difference between "a way of being" and "a way (or mode, or category) of existing. Saying a thought is not a "way of being" is saying nothing more than that it does not exist. Which would, of course, be absurd.
I use "way of being" and "way of existing" synonymously too; but "way of being" is ambiguous between "way of Dasein" and "way of Sosein". A way of being in the second sense is an attribute, a property or quality of something; and there are different ways of being in this sense. What I deny is that there are different ways of being qua different ways of Dasein. That is to say, there are different kinds of existentS, because not all existents have the same properties, the same essence or nature; but there aren't any different kinds of existenCE, because all existents exist in one and the same sense of "to exist".
Consul wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:58 pm My point is that it is a basic ontological mistake to regard mere entia rationis or objects of thoughts as a sort of entities or existents, and to ascribe a form of being or existence to them, viz. intentional or intramental being or existence. The only thing that has real intramental being in the case of a mere, i.e. fictional or imaginary, object of thought is the thought of it.
It is fair enough to distinguish ens realis from ens rationis. That is equivalent to my distinction between experiential phenomena and physical entities (though I consider the latter to be but a category of conceptual constructs). But making that distinction doesn't purge the latter from existence, as you seem to think. They are still "beings" (per your own terms).
The phrase "ens rationis" is a misnomer, because a so-called ens rationis isn't really an ens (entity/existent) at all!
Consul wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:58 pmMental ideas (concepts) or images of nonexistent things such as those entertained in dreams are certainly existent things, but an idea (concept) or image of a thing is not the thing but something different from it.
Now you're contradicting yourself! Those things now exist after all? Of course the idea of a thing is not the thing, but surely the idea exists, does it not? Are we now in agreement?
Yes, but the crucial point is that the thing an existent idea/image is an idea/image of need not exist.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: September 12th, 2022, 3:59 pmThe phrase "ens rationis" is a misnomer, because a so-called ens rationis isn't really an ens (entity/existent) at all!
In my conceptual understanding, an entity is something existent by definition; so "nonexistent entity" is a contradiction in terms. In order to avoid self-contradiction, I prefer to speak of nonexistent objects, items, or things.
Halc

Post by Halc »

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:59 am There is of course contradiction because, as you suggest, because their truth values are either incomplete (Heisenberg), paradoxical or contradict one another.
Heisenberg didn't speak of truth values. He spoke of epistemology, the limits of what one can know of a system, which is quite different than there being a truth of the matter or not.
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:59 am The infamous driving while daydreaming riddle bears witness. Hence the proposition: I was driving and not driving. It's a true statement, but logically impossible.
I was going to say that doesn't violate the law of non-contradiction, so it isn't logically impossible. The two halves (driving, not driving) are true, but in different ways, which is allowed by said law. It is sort of like Galilean relativity where two people pass each other and each says "I'm stationary, you're not" and they're both right, just relative to different implied frames.
3017Metaphysician

Halc wrote: September 12th, 2022, 6:38 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:59 am There is of course contradiction because, as you suggest, because their truth values are either incomplete (Heisenberg), paradoxical or contradict one another.
Heisenberg didn't speak of truth values. He spoke of epistemology, the limits of what one can know of a system, which is quite different than there being a truth of the matter or not.

Heisenberg spoke of the relationship between certain types of physical variables like position and momentum, which roughly states that you can never simultaneously know both variables exactly. Informally, this means that both the position and momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics can never be exactly known. This is one reason why P and -P axiom is dropped in QM. So the observation of fundamental particles transcend or go beyond logical things like LEM/Bivalence. It's not useful. States of consciousness and cognition are similar.

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:59 am The infamous driving while daydreaming riddle bears witness. Hence the proposition: I was driving and not driving. It's a true statement, but logically impossible.
I was going to say that doesn't violate the law of non-contradiction, so it isn't logically impossible. The two halves (driving, not driving) are true, but in different ways, which is allowed by said law. It is sort of like Galilean relativity where two people pass each other and each says "I'm stationary, you're not" and they're both right, just relative to different implied frames.

Sure Halc, "I'm stationary, you're not" does not have multiple truth values. However, driving and not driving does. The experience of daydreaming while driving has an indeterminate truth value. For instance, you thought you were on the beach drinking wine with a cute babe, but in reality you were driving a car, ran a red light and crashed (and hopefully survived to talk about it). Accordingly, all you knew or described was that you were on the beach and not driving. Hence multiple truth values of driving and not driving. Or. if you prefer, you were kind-of driving. Generally, logic doesn't allow for kind-of propositions.

I suppose you could ascribe some sort of multi-valued fuzzy logic to the experience/mental phenomenon itself, but it still would not be accurate mathematically/logically. There's no way to put an exacted percentage value on cognition. Another way to think about that would be one's own thoughts and feelings insolubly mixed together during everyday cognition. There's equally no way to assign binary truth value's to things that occur within one's Will. Thoughts and feelings, gravity and particles, time and change, are all similar phenomena only in that it involves opposing elements. However, they do all relate to a state of becoming over being. A constant state of becoming or changing if you prefer. In cognition, a continuous mixture of qualitative properties in the mind. You know, similar stuff that you can't really see, smell, touch, hear or taste, yet exist.
― Albert Einstein
khurranakabeta
New Trial Member

Post by khurranakabeta »

I follow Sabine Hossenfelder, I'm hoping to get my hands on her new book, Existential physics, dealing with existence. The You tube videos give insight into some of the contents. The title is reminiscent to the papers I've been working on.
3017Metaphysician

khurranakabeta wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 9:20 am I follow Sabine Hossenfelder, I'm hoping to get my hands on her new book, Existential physics, dealing with existence. The You tube videos give insight into some of the contents. The title is reminiscent to the papers I've been working on.
Welcome!

Is that similar to the Constructor Theory of Information?
― Albert Einstein

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream