How May Human Sexuality Be Understood in Religion, Politics, and Philosophically, In The Twentieth First Century?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Ecurb

Re: How May Human Sexuality Be Understood in Religion, Politics, and Philosophically, In The Twentieth First Century?

Post by Ecurb »

Sy Borg wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:46 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:02 am

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't describing bullying.

Alfie fights to defend freedom of speech, 'freedom of hate-speech' in particular.
Bruno indulges in hate speech.
Carl harms Dave, under the influence of Bruno's incitement.

Carl is mostly responsible for Dave's injuries, of course. Bruno also bears some responsibility. But so, IMO, does Alfie.
Agreed. Nice illustration.

We all know what "inciting" means, without all the double-talk rationalisations. One publicly encourages hatred against traditionally marginalised groups that have long experienced violence and marginalisation, and this increases the chances of violence because they are easy marks with weak defences and few defenders.
How has Alfie "incited" anything by supporting Bruno's right to freedom of speech? By this logic, we are all guilty of knife murders because we have failed to pass laws banning the purchase of sharp knives. The people who believe that knives should be available at dinner time may think that whatever harm is caused by mad slashers does not compel them to prohibit citizens from cutting their dinners into bite-sized bits. The proponents of free speech may think the VALUE of such freedom outweighs the value of legally prohibiting hate speech. In fact, that is what I think.

If we eliminate freedom altogether we could stop all sorts of violence. Aren't authoritarian states known to lower crime rates?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: How May Human Sexuality Be Understood in Religion, Politics, and Philosophically, In The Twentieth First Century?

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:59 pmThe proponents of free speech may think the VALUE of such freedom outweighs the value of legally prohibiting hate speech. In fact, that is what I think.
I think differently. I think some modest limits - which, after all, only impact government organisations and affiliates - are appropriate.

Life, and the social groups that many life forms spontaneously assemble, exist on the boundary of chaos. Too much randomness, and there's a failure of order, while too much order leads to stagnation.

Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 18th, 2022, 12:06 pm I think we are approaching hair-splitting if we don't stop soon. 😉 To cause deliberate harm to others is wrong. I think we can agree on that. To incite or provoke others to do harm is wrong too, I think, although perhaps we might see that as a secondary wrong? Individual cases, examples or real-life ones, are each different and unique, and each should be judged on its own merits, and in its own context. (IMO) Perhaps we might even agree on that too?
Ecurb wrote: September 18th, 2022, 1:45 pm We deliberately harm people all the time. We put them in prisons if they do stuff we don't like. We make them pay taxes they don't want to pay. We fight wars against the Nazis where we kill lots of people. In general (I don't want to speak for you) "we" do not think these things are morally "wrong".
I think doing harm and acting morally are different things. Imprisonment is a reaction; an expected response (if you get caught). But I suppose it's still 'harm'. Paying taxes is just paying what you owe, and is not what many would understand as 'harm'.

But yes, sometimes we harm others for reasons we consider to be morally acceptable. My own view is that harming others is morally wrong, always and without exception, but that there are sometimes circumstances where doing what is morally wrong is morally acceptable, even morally necessary (even though that sounds contradictory). 🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:59 pm
How has Alfie "incited" anything by supporting Bruno's right to freedom of speech? By this logic, we are all guilty of knife murders because we have failed to pass laws banning the purchase of sharp knives. The people who believe that knives should be available at dinner time may think that whatever harm is caused by mad slashers does not compel them to prohibit citizens from cutting their dinners into bite-sized bits. The proponents of free speech may think the VALUE of such freedom outweighs the value of legally prohibiting hate speech. In fact, that is what I think.
Similar arguments apply to gun-banning proposals, 99% of which are never used in crimes.
If we eliminate freedom altogether we could stop all sorts of violence. Aren't authoritarian states known to lower crime rates?
Excellent points.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:49 pm
So I agree, given your definition of "public morality", although I think that you are using common words ("public" and "morality") in a manner that supports your political philosophy. The good swimmer who refuses to jump into the cold water to save a child has, in my opinion, behaved in a publicly immoral manner, but I'm not sure he should be punished by the law. Same with the neo-Nazi hate speaker.
A sound public morality is the basis for law, but not necessarily co-extensive with it. That morality would prescribe a conditional duty to aid, which would cover your drowning child, but that duty could not be enforced by law.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 19th, 2022, 11:35 am
But yes, sometimes we harm others for reasons we consider to be morally acceptable. My own view is that harming others is morally wrong, always and without exception, but that there are sometimes circumstances where doing what is morally wrong is morally acceptable, even morally necessary (even though that sounds contradictory). 🤔🤔🤔
It is contradictory. Some harms are justifiable, and "justifiable" means not morally wrong.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 19th, 2022, 11:35 am But yes, sometimes we harm others for reasons we consider to be morally acceptable. My own view is that harming others is morally wrong, always and without exception, but that there are sometimes circumstances where doing what is morally wrong is morally acceptable, even morally necessary (even though that sounds contradictory). 🤔🤔🤔
GE Morton wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:23 pm It is contradictory. Some harms are justifiable, and "justifiable" means not morally wrong.
I think you're missing the core proverb/saying: "the lesser of two evils". Or maybe more than two. In the real world, we often need to balance one good thing against another, or one bad thing against another, or one neutral thing against... Any combination you can think of.

Justifiable does not mean "not morally wrong", it means, er, justifiable: capable of justification.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:52 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 19th, 2022, 11:35 am But yes, sometimes we harm others for reasons we consider to be morally acceptable. My own view is that harming others is morally wrong, always and without exception, but that there are sometimes circumstances where doing what is morally wrong is morally acceptable, even morally necessary (even though that sounds contradictory). 🤔🤔🤔
GE Morton wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:23 pm It is contradictory. Some harms are justifiable, and "justifiable" means not morally wrong.
I think you're missing the core proverb/saying: "the lesser of two evils". Or maybe more than two. In the real world, we often need to balance one good thing against another, or one bad thing against another, or one neutral thing against... Any combination you can think of.

Justifiable does not mean "not morally wrong", it means, er, justifiable: capable of justification.
That is obviously circular.

"Justifiable" derives from "just," and "justice."

"Just (adjective):

"1. Honorable and fair in one's dealings and actions: a just ruler.
"2. Consistent with what is morally right; righteous: a just cause."

https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=just

"Justice (noun):

"1. The quality of being just; fairness: In the interest of justice, we should treat everyone the same.
"2.a. The principle of moral rightness; decency.
b. Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness: argued for the justice of his cause."

https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=justice
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:52 pm
In what sense can a morally justifiable action be morally wrong? Doesn't moral justifiability entail moral permissibility? For example, when I hurt an attacker in self-defense, I am morally justified in doing so; and if I am morally justified in doing so, then my doing so is not morally wrong.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:46 pmIn what sense can a morally justifiable action be morally wrong? Doesn't moral justifiability entail moral permissibility? For example, when I hurt an attacker in self-defense, I am morally justified in doing so; and if I am morally justified in doing so, then my doing so is not morally wrong.
Doesn't the moral justification of an action consist in giving reasons why it is not morally wrong, or why it is not impermissible?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:52 pm I think you're missing the core proverb/saying: "the lesser of two evils". Or maybe more than two. In the real world, we often need to balance one good thing against another, or one bad thing against another, or one neutral thing against... Any combination you can think of.

GE Morton wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:44 pm That is obviously circular.
Yes, of course it is, because I hadn't done the web-searching for confirmation. Now I have submitted myself to that tedium:

Justify

American Heritage Dictionary — To demonstrate or prove to be just, right, or valid.
Cambridge dictionary — to give or to be a good reason for.
Dictionary.com — to show (an act, claim, statement, etc.) to be just or right; to defend or uphold as warranted or well-grounded.

So justification is broader than just (😋) justice, according to these definitions. It also includes validation and confirmation. And so "justifiable" does not mean "not morally wrong". It refers to being right in a moral sense, or in a logical and reasonable sense. And let's not forget the distinction between "not-wrong" and "right". "Not-wrong" also includes the middle ground between right and wrong.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:46 pm In what sense can a morally justifiable action be morally wrong? Doesn't moral justifiability entail moral permissibility? For example, when I hurt an attacker in self-defense, I am morally justified in doing so; and if I am morally justified in doing so, then my doing so is not morally wrong.
In a given situation, it may be that the course of action that is least wrong is the best choice available, morally speaking. The real world is rarely as simple as black-and-white 'rules' indicate. So, for example, it is wrong to kill in self-defence, but any other course of action would (usually, in real life) be more wrong. The lesser of two evils, as I said.

Killing in self-defence is morally justifiable, but it remains morally wrong.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:51 pm Doesn't the moral justification of an action consist in giving reasons why it is not morally wrong, or why it is not impermissible?
No, it consists in giving reasons why it might be morally right, or why it might be permissible. [N.B. My inversion removes the middle ground (between right and wrong) from your statement.] And one reason it might be permissible is that it is wrong, but all other available options are greater wrongs.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 20th, 2022, 10:24 amIn a given situation, it may be that the course of action that is least wrong is the best choice available, morally speaking. The real world is rarely as simple as black-and-white 'rules' indicate. So, for example, it is wrong to kill in self-defence, but any other course of action would (usually, in real life) be more wrong. The lesser of two evils, as I said.

Killing in self-defence is morally justifiable, but it remains morally wrong.
So you think there are different degrees of moral wrongness (or rightness). Assuming you are right, the problem still is that any action with a low degree of moral wrongness is morally wrong all the same; so you ought not to do it, which means that you ought not to hurt an attacker in self-defense. But I don't think it is obligatory for you not to do so, because it is permissible for you to do so. You ought not to exert more violence than necessary in order to prevent the attacker from hurting or even killing you; but in case the attacker does get hurt or even killed, I am not morally responsible for it as long as I act in justified self-defense.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:48 pmSo you think there are different degrees of moral wrongness (or rightness).…
Even if there are, the doing of something which is "half-wrong" is still binary in the sense that you cannot "half-do" anything: You either do it or you don't, because there is no third possibility.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream