What is Humanism and the Importance of an 'Open Mind' ?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Consul

Re: What is Humanism and the Importance of an 'Open Mind' ?

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: September 10th, 2022, 1:45 pmIf knowledge is a priori if it is not (directly or indirectly) based on any form of sensory experience, then knowledge based on rational or irrational intuition is a priori…
However, given the following definition of "mystical experience", there are both sensation-involving and non-sensation-involving kinds of irrational intuition:

"A purportedly nonsensory awareness or a nonstructured sensory experience granting acquaintance of realities or states of affairs that are of a kind not accessible by way of ordinary sense-perception structured by mental conceptions, somatosensory modalities, or standard introspection.

* “Nonsenory awareness” includes content of a kind not appropriate to sense-perception, somatosensory modalities (including the means for sensing pain and body temperature, and internally sensing body, limb, organ, and visceral positions and states), or standard introspection.…

*“Nonstructured sensory experience” consists of phenomenological sensory content but lacks the conceptualization normally structuring sense-perception."

Mysticism: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mysticism/

"Nonstructured sensory experience" is still a form of sensory experience, so sensation-involving mystical experiences (allegedly) provide knowledge a posteriori, whereas non-sensation-involving ones (allegedly) provide knowledge a priori.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: September 8th, 2022, 2:19 pm I read a 'Humanist Anthology: ....
I have lost interest in reading, so I don't read much. Even your opening posts to your threads I can't read because they appear to be inappropriately long.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: September 10th, 2022, 5:22 pm
JackDaydream wrote: September 8th, 2022, 2:19 pm I read a 'Humanist Anthology: ....
I have lost interest in reading, so I don't read much. Even your opening posts to your threads I can't read because they appear to be inappropriately long.
I am sorry if my opening posts seem too long. It is hard to know how much to write and I appreciate that clarity is important. When writing posts as well as threads it is hard to know how much to write since ideas need to be explained. I know that some people often only write a few lines. Even though I love reading sometimes I sometimes find it difficult reading too much online. I will stop here!
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Consul wrote: September 10th, 2022, 1:53 pm
Consul wrote: September 10th, 2022, 1:45 pmIf knowledge is a priori if it is not (directly or indirectly) based on any form of sensory experience, then knowledge based on rational or irrational intuition is a priori…
However, given the following definition of "mystical experience", there are both sensation-involving and non-sensation-involving kinds of irrational intuition:

"A purportedly nonsensory awareness or a nonstructured sensory experience granting acquaintance of realities or states of affairs that are of a kind not accessible by way of ordinary sense-perception structured by mental conceptions, somatosensory modalities, or standard introspection.

* “Nonsenory awareness” includes content of a kind not appropriate to sense-perception, somatosensory modalities (including the means for sensing pain and body temperature, and internally sensing body, limb, organ, and visceral positions and states), or standard introspection.…

*“Nonstructured sensory experience” consists of phenomenological sensory content but lacks the conceptualization normally structuring sense-perception."

Mysticism: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mysticism/

"Nonstructured sensory experience" is still a form of sensory experience, so sensation-involving mystical experiences (allegedly) provide knowledge a posteriori, whereas non-sensation-involving ones (allegedly) provide knowledge a priori.
It is hard to know what a person is tuning into in having a mystical experience and how it connects to sensory perception or another dimension separate from the basis of reason. There is often such a variety of experiences that it can be hard to know what constitutes one. Also, because it is an experience it is hard to know constitutes one, and whether there are any ultimate criteria of a mystical experience. On that basis, I am not sure if I have ever had one or not. The closest I have probably felt to one was after having been in a really dark state of mind, I have sometimes switched over to a sensation of joy and sense of peace and contentment, like some form of 'healing' state of consciousness, with some kind of connection to some kind of higher source, whether it is called 'God' or not.

Of course, not all mystical experiences are religious and there is nature mysticism, which seems so interconnected with the senses. Also, metaphysical poets, including John Donne spoke of love as a form of mysticism and the human romantic experience was a starting point for appreciation of the divine.

Going back to the distinction between rationality and intuition one important distinction may be about the distinction of different mental processes, including reason, emotion and intuition. This has been explored by Gilchrist in his, 'The Master and the Emissary'. This looks at the difference between the right and left brain. This split has been looked at by some other writers and Gilchrist argues that it is not as clear cut as some people had believed initially. However, he does think that the left brain is more associated with the overall 'gestalt', especially intuitive knowledge and the left with the analytic approach. On that basis, he speaks of them as the master and the emissary, with the intuitive, and emotional as the basis for insight with the analysis of reason as a complementary aspect at a slower pace.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: September 9th, 2022, 2:20 pm The search for new and original ideas may depend on what leads one to seek them. Is novelty to be valued for itself? Many follow trends and fashions but this may be different from the actual spirit of innovation. It may be that some who are comfortable in life have no need to look for the new because the ideas or philosophy they have works for them. It may be that those who experience greater angst and conflict need to explore further, digging for new ideas and ways of seeing.
The value of novelty and supermarkets is the same: we value them for that to which they give us access, in this case, foodstuffs or interesting ideas. So we might conclude that novelty, of itself, has no intrinsic value?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

JackDaydream wrote: September 10th, 2022, 7:01 pmIt is hard to know what a person is tuning into in having a mystical experience and how it connects to sensory perception or another dimension separate from the basis of reason. There is often such a variety of experiences that it can be hard to know what constitutes one. Also, because it is an experience it is hard to know constitutes one, and whether there are any ultimate criteria of a mystical experience. On that basis, I am not sure if I have ever had one or not. The closest I have probably felt to one was after having been in a really dark state of mind, I have sometimes switched over to a sensation of joy and sense of peace and contentment, like some form of 'healing' state of consciousness, with some kind of connection to some kind of higher source, whether it is called 'God' or not.

Of course, not all mystical experiences are religious and there is nature mysticism, which seems so interconnected with the senses. Also, metaphysical poets, including John Donne spoke of love as a form of mysticism and the human romantic experience was a starting point for appreciation of the divine.

Going back to the distinction between rationality and intuition one important distinction may be about the distinction of different mental processes, including reason, emotion and intuition. This has been explored by Gilchrist in his, 'The Master and the Emissary'. This looks at the difference between the right and left brain. This split has been looked at by some other writers and Gilchrist argues that it is not as clear cut as some people had believed initially. However, he does think that the left brain is more associated with the overall 'gestalt', especially intuitive knowledge and the left with the analytic approach. On that basis, he speaks of them as the master and the emissary, with the intuitive, and emotional as the basis for insight with the analysis of reason as a complementary aspect at a slower pace.
The occurrence of abnormal or anomalous experiences, or altered states of consciousness is not in question. What is in question is that such experiences, including so-called mystical or religious ones, are a genuine source of belief-justification and knowledge. (I think they are not.)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Consul wrote: September 11th, 2022, 11:34 am

The occurrence of abnormal or anomalous experiences, or altered states of consciousness is not in question. What is in question is that such experiences, including so-called mystical or religious ones, are a genuine source of belief-justification and knowledge. (I think they are not.)
I doubt I ever will get into Narnia through some magical door. But if I do, I hope I believe my own eyes.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 11th, 2022, 11:05 am
JackDaydream wrote: September 9th, 2022, 2:20 pm The search for new and original ideas may depend on what leads one to seek them. Is novelty to be valued for itself? Many follow trends and fashions but this may be different from the actual spirit of innovation. It may be that some who are comfortable in life have no need to look for the new because the ideas or philosophy they have works for them. It may be that those who experience greater angst and conflict need to explore further, digging for new ideas and ways of seeing.
The value of novelty and supermarkets is the same: we value them for that to which they give us access, in this case, foodstuffs or interesting ideas. So we might conclude that novelty, of itself, has no intrinsic value?
The internet is becoming like a supermarket of ideas. Everything is increasingly more superficial. When stevie wrote a post yesterday telling me that I write outpost introductions which are too long because he dislikes reading, while I do listen to feedback, it made me think how many people want 'quick fix' philosophy solutions. It is all about 'faster faster' lifestyles, with the latest phones and Apps.

I grew up with novelty: punk rock and putting posters on the wall of all my favourite music bands. However, I was aware of a deeper side of exploration, the world of libraries. Even though I have a Kindle I still read paper books too. When I got a Kindle someone I worked with was so surprised because they knew that I am not into all the latest gimmick devices. However, I loved the Kindlr because I probably downloaded about 1000 books and I am reading them. What I found strange was some people who have Kindles but don't have any books on them and having it seems to just be about novelty..

I simply don't understand people who are just into novelty. There definitely are people who prefer going beyond the shallow and 'quick fixes', but it can be difficult to find them at times in the maze of novelties and amusement arcades of ideas.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Consul wrote: September 11th, 2022, 11:34 am
JackDaydream wrote: September 10th, 2022, 7:01 pmIt is hard to know what a person is tuning into in having a mystical experience and how it connects to sensory perception or another dimension separate from the basis of reason. There is often such a variety of experiences that it can be hard to know what constitutes one. Also, because it is an experience it is hard to know constitutes one, and whether there are any ultimate criteria of a mystical experience. On that basis, I am not sure if I have ever had one or not. The closest I have probably felt to one was after having been in a really dark state of mind, I have sometimes switched over to a sensation of joy and sense of peace and contentment, like some form of 'healing' state of consciousness, with some kind of connection to some kind of higher source, whether it is called 'God' or not.

The way in which I see mystical insights is that they are moments of 'insight' experiential. That doesn't mean that the ideas are correct. Many people stretch these moments of insight out of proportion into belief, almost beyond the realm of analysis. That is what I have found with some 'mind, body and spirit' or 'new age' thinkers. I do like such people but it often seems as if they take everything at face value rather than applying any philosophical rigour.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

One of the main issues which I see in the context of humanism, especially in relation to the area of exploration between religion and science is that of emotion and reason. How can these two aspects of experience and understanding be balanced effectively in life and human civilisation?
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Consul wrote: September 9th, 2022, 4:35 pm If atheism, naturalism, and (scientific) rationalism are deleted from the list of humanism's essential ingredients, then it boils down to a humanitarian liberal secularism, doesn't it?
I wonder to what extent naturalism and rationalism can be deleted from the ingredients of humanism. If anything, it may be religious thinking and materialism which are fading out of significance. One of the biggest issues, beyond personal choices, is what makes sense? It may be hard to separate reason and emotions because human beings experience both. This is an ongoing part of the development of understanding of 'truth', especially in regard to objectivity and subjectivity.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream