The dog paradox : Does the dog live a better life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Bafis

The dog paradox : Does the dog live a better life?

Post by Bafis »

The title might be a little bit misleading, but it sounded really cool and mysterious, so I decided to keep this title.

Anyway, to the main text.

It was a warm afternoon and I was sitting outside, chilling with my dog and looking at the clouds. Then, after looking at my dog, I wondered, does the dog live a better life than us? I'd answer with a very doubtful yes.

Others might say no. They might say that the dog isn't completely "free", that it (I mean the dog) can't travel somewhere alone, it can't try new things like scuba diving. But I would say the dog can't comprehend such concepts as "freedom", "death" , "time", "meaning" as we, humans, do. One could argue that the dog isn't concious, which could be good and bad depending on how one looks at it.

What the dog sees is, that it is being fed, without doing any hunting or "hard" work (at least my dog), plays a lot, sleeps a lot and gets bored and doesn't have to worry for anything (though to be honest I don't think that the dog can even comprehend our worrying). Basically, lives without trying at all. Doesn't it sound like a dream life?

I guess it really depends on how one looks at it. What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading through.
heracleitos

Re: The dog paradox : Does the dog live a better life?

Post by heracleitos »

Bafis wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm Doesn't it sound like a dream life?
Absolutely not.

As a dog, I'd rather hunt down a rabbit, place a firm bite with my teeth on its throat, as to slowly suffocate it, and then tear its flesh to pieces in order to feed on its dead carcass. I would hate it if someone else killed the rabbit for me, somewhere in an industrial food processing plant. Where is the fun in that?

Furthermore, when the yearly season is there, I would bite off the ears and break the legs of any competing male dog trying to get in between me and the bitch in heat. The right to mount that bitch should not be for free. She is mine because I duly destroyed everyone who said that she wasn't.

That is the real nature of biological beings that are truly alive.

If you don't like the idea then there is almost surely a bug in your biological firmware. Seriously, if you refuse to do what it takes to stay alive, survive, thrive, and reproduce, then you clearly shouldn't.

Human civilization has artificially disabled the garbage collection process inside its own habitat. That is a big mistake. That is why people get depressed. Just wait until the laws of God and nature inevitably reaffirm themselves. That is just a question of time, because they always do. At that point, a lot of people will get into serious trouble.

You fight and die, or else you just die. The choice is yours.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Bafis wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm The title might be a little bit misleading, but it sounded really cool and mysterious, so I decided to keep this title.

It was a warm afternoon and I was sitting outside, chilling with my dog and looking at the clouds. Then, after looking at my dog, I wondered, does the dog live a better life than us? I'd answer with a very doubtful yes.

Others might say no. They might say that the dog isn't completely "free", that it (I mean the dog) can't travel somewhere alone, it can't try new things like scuba diving. But I would say the dog can't comprehend such concepts as "freedom", "death" , "time", "meaning" as we, humans, do. One could argue that the dog isn't concious, which could be good and bad depending on how one looks at it.

What the dog sees is, that it is being fed, without doing any hunting or "hard" work (at least my dog), plays a lot, sleeps a lot and gets bored and doesn't have to worry for anything (though to be honest I don't think that the dog can even comprehend our worrying). Basically, lives without trying at all. Doesn't it sound like a dream life?

I guess it really depends on how one looks at it. What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading through.
Occasionally I used to daydream similar thoughts. Specifically as someone who had a high pressure, high risk, high responsibility and high reward profession I would be working in the yard on weekends pulling weeds and I would muse: wouldn't it be great to be a gardener and pull weeds for a living? No risk, little responsibility, little pressure (admittedly for little reward)? But I concluded: no, I thrive in my position since if you risk nothing then your gains are hollow, that is if losing badly isn't an option then neither is winning big.
"As usual... it depends."
stevie

Post by stevie »

Bafis wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm The title might be a little bit misleading, but it sounded really cool and mysterious, so I decided to keep this title.

However you look at it it's always looking through human eyes at something that is beyond human eyes because it's not looking through a dog's eyes.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

What are the arguments for the proposition ? I think you've presented two:
- that a dog does not have to labour for its food and shelter
- that a dog does not worry about the future.

I have to wonder - has your dog been neutered ?
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
Bafis

Post by Bafis »

heracleitos wrote: September 19th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Bafis wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm Doesn't it sound like a dream life?
Absolutely not.

As a dog, I'd rather hunt down a rabbit, place a firm bite with my teeth on its throat, as to slowly suffocate it, and then tear its flesh to pieces in order to feed on its dead carcass. I would hate it if someone else killed the rabbit for me, somewhere in an industrial food processing plant. Where is the fun in that?

Furthermore, when the yearly season is there, I would bite off the ears and break the legs of any competing male dog trying to get in between me and the bitch in heat. The right to mount that bitch should not be for free. She is mine because I duly destroyed everyone who said that she wasn't.

That is the real nature of biological beings that are truly alive.

If you don't like the idea then there is almost surely a bug in your biological firmware. Seriously, if you refuse to do what it takes to stay alive, survive, thrive, and reproduce, then you clearly shouldn't.

Human civilization has artificially disabled the garbage collection process inside its own habitat. That is a big mistake. That is why people get depressed. Just wait until the laws of God and nature inevitably reaffirm themselves. That is just a question of time, because they always do. At that point, a lot of people will get into serious trouble.

You fight and die, or else you just die. The choice is yours.
I can understand what you are saying. You mean, like, that the dog isn't living its "dream life" unless it's fully engaged and imersed with its nature a.k.a. hunting, running around, reproducing etc.
Thanks for sharing your comment!
Bafis

Post by Bafis »

LuckyR wrote: September 20th, 2022, 1:58 am

Occasionally I used to daydream similar thoughts. Specifically as someone who had a high pressure, high risk, high responsibility and high reward profession I would be working in the yard on weekends pulling weeds and I would muse: wouldn't it be great to be a gardener and pull weeds for a living? No risk, little responsibility, little pressure (admittedly for little reward)? But I concluded: no, I thrive in my position since if you risk nothing then your gains are hollow, that is if losing badly isn't an option then neither is winning big.
I agree with you. If I may ask, what was your profession ?
Also, thanks for answering!
Bafis

Post by Bafis »

stevie wrote: September 20th, 2022, 2:27 am

However you look at it it's always looking through human eyes at something that is beyond human eyes because it's not looking through a dog's eyes.
I have to say that I can't disagree with your statement. We can only speculate how a dog would look at the world.
Bafis

Post by Bafis »

Good_Egg wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:40 am What are the arguments for the proposition ? I think you've presented two:

Yeah, these are my arguments pretty much. Perhaps, I have not laid them down clearly in the main post, I'm not really good with words to be honest.

Actually no, it hasn't been neutered.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Commenting on OP without reading any of the replies first. I imagine some of it has already been said.
Bafis wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm They might say that the dog isn't completely "free"
Such a comment is probably made by an American, who is constantly bombarded by the virtues of 'freedom', without actually spelling those out.
But I would say the dog can't comprehend such concepts as "freedom", "death" , "time", "meaning" as we, humans, do.
Except for the freedom one, it might comprehend those as much as we do. Of course it lacks the language to express/obfuscate those understandings. Really, language is probably what sets us apart.
One could argue that the dog isn't concious,
Yea, well given language, the dog could equally argue that you aren't.
Basically, lives without trying at all. Doesn't it sound like a dream life?
To some I suppose, dreaming of a layabout life. A domestic dog often sees its role as a protector. I personally seek accomplishment, and embrace negative things like pain and worry, all of which means you're probably trying to accomplish something.
What are your thoughts?
You think the dog would trade places, given a choice? This of course all presumes any meaningfulness to said trading of places (meaningfulness which I personally deny), but most people know what you mean when asked such a thing.
For one, imagine choosing to loose one of your senses almost completely. That would be tough to voluntarily give up. Imagine a choice of a life of (what you see as) leisure, but you have to go blind to do it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Bafis wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:52 pm

I practiced as an OB/GYN.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Bafis wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm It was a warm afternoon and I was sitting outside, chilling with my dog and looking at the clouds. Then, after looking at my dog, I wondered, does the dog live a better life than us? I'd answer with a very doubtful yes.
It depends what "better" means. This sounds like nit-picking, but I don't think it is. How can you/we compare a dog's life with a human's, or a flea's life with a whale's? What criteria for comparison might we use? 🤔 We can't know what it is like to be a dog, any more than we can know what it is like to be a bat.

I think this renders your question unanswerable. Sorry. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Good_Egg wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:40 am What are the arguments for the proposition ? I think you've presented two:

I.e. did you have its balls chopped off? Did that make its life 'better'? 😉 I'm sorry, I'm making fun of the OP, and that's a bit unfair. But yours are fair questions: in the real world, the human world that we impose upon dogs, how should we account for the things we impose upon them, such as captivity, emasculation, and so on? With some (moral) difficulty, I suggest. 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Bafis

Post by Bafis »

Such a comment is probably made by an American, who is constantly bombarded by the virtues of 'freedom', without actually spelling those out.
Actually no, I'm not American (I'm Greek) and thus I don't really understand the culture of "freedom" over there. I have to admit, I worded it wrongly. When I used the word "free" I meant that the dog doesn't have the ability and the autonomy to do things such as travelling alone.
Except for the freedom one, it might comprehend those as much as we do. Of course it lacks the language to express/obfuscate those understandings. Really, language is probably what sets us apart.
I find it hard to believe that dogs may have the same understadning on these concepts as we, humans do, because of their brain-size, though we really can't be certain. To be certain we would need to be able to communicate with the dogs, in this way they would tell us how they percieve the world and life, (or at least have a way through which we could comprehend in a great proximity what/how etc. the dogs see/feel/think etc.) - Is there a word to describe that? Perhaps the psyche of the dog(s)? Yeah, I think it fits better.- But until then, we can only speculate through theories and experiments.

Personally,I don't think that language is the sole factor that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Our tendency to form large societies, our "cleverness" and of course our abilty to communicate in great details, I believe are the core things that seperate us from the rest of the animals. There are countless theories - and probably better than mine- that suggest what seperates us form the rest.
Yea, well given language, the dog could equally argue that you aren't.
Now that you say, yeah we are most likely not free. But I think we are more free than the dogs. I could be wrong, but I won't go in more depth, since this is a whole topic of its own, though I am happy to discuss about it.
You think the dog would trade places, given a choice?
To be completely honest, I don't know, is probably the safest answer. It really dependes on a lot of factors. For example, if I just wanted a really lazy life and to do completely nothing, then I would probably switch. Though as you mention, what I find leisure as human might be painful as a dog. If I wanted a life full of activities and to be constantly doing something, I would probably choose to not switch.

I'm really intrested in, what you would do. You answer this only if you want of course.
Bafis

Post by Bafis »

LuckyR wrote: September 21st, 2022, 3:24 am
Bafis wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:52 pm

I practiced as an OB/GYN.
Very interesting! Thanks for answering!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream