What about hunting?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sculptor1

Re: What about hunting?

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:13 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:11 am These days when we can get out meat and leather from humanely killed animals there is no more need to hunt.

Hunting was once a challenge and a noble and dangerous practice. Then came guns, and it was then reduced to target practice with unnecessarily cruel results.

Only people with some sort of mental or social deficiency would ever want to go hunting with anything other than a camera.
I agree with your assessment on the nobility and challenge of the hunt. Though there are ecological reasons for balancing the ecosystem as well as culling invasive species.
2/3rds of agricultural land is marginal, and cannot be used to support plant based food sources. Keeping that as a resource for meat, glue, leather, wool, milk, cheese, and a range of fertilisers is a wise idea.

Grazing animals are their own ecological balance, and encourage species diversity way over and above growing plant crops.

The only invasive species I can thing of that is of any serious impact is the human species which has used artificial means to invade and pollute every continent on earth.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ecurb wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:30 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:11 am These days when we can get out meat and leather from humanely killed animals there is no more need to hunt.

Hunting was once a challenge and a noble and dangerous practice. Then came guns, and it was then reduced to target practice with unnecessarily cruel results.

Only people with some sort of mental or social deficiency would ever want to go hunting with anything other than a camera.
What bunk! Since when is the factory farming from which most people get their meat "humane"?
Strawman. I did not say factory farming is humane. Please learn to read.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:13 pm ...there are ecological reasons for balancing the ecosystem as well as culling invasive species.
I wonder if I am right to detect a human-centric outlook here? 'Balancing the ecosystem' is something that should often involve culling, or otherwise reducing the population of, humans. The 'ecosystem' was self-balanced for many millions or billions of years, before humans reached their current position of dominance. And aren't 'invasive species', species that simply wish to 'invade' land set aside by humans for their own exclusive use?

Once more, I feel forced to conclude that there is no convincing argument for hunting, by humans, with guns.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:30 pm Since when is the factory farming from which most people get their meat "humane"?
Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:40 am I did not say factory farming is humane.
I think the point is that factory farming is less 'humane' than hunting, and that's probably correct. But there's an equally significant point that goes with it: if we relied only on wild hunting, our human 'needs' for meat would not and could not be met. Assuming we are unwilling to consider mass (human) starvation or culling, factory farming has become necessary and unavoidable. Unless, perhaps, we all started to eat an exclusively vegetarian diet?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:25 am I feel forced to conclude that there is no convincing argument for hunting, by humans, with guns.
Clarification: I feel forced to conclude that there is no convincing philosophical argument in favour of hunting, by humans, with guns.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:32 am
Ecurb wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:30 pm Since when is the factory farming from which most people get their meat "humane"?
Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:40 am I did not say factory farming is humane.
I think the point is that factory farming is less 'humane' than hunting, and that's probably correct.
Actually no. There are strict laws about how to kill a farm animal. But there are not laws that mandate a quick painless kill whilst hunting. Often a quarry will receive non fatal wounds and bleed out slowly and evade capture and die from infection.
The other thing worth pointing out is the vast availability of farm reared (as opposed to factory reared) meats. I see lamb and cattle on the hoof everyday. They are all extremely healthy, get provided shelter in the cold and veterinary care throughout the year. These are the rule rather than the exception.
As well as providing meat they provide natural biodegradable leather and wool.
The land they graze has thousands of species; grasses; vetch;orchids;daisies; dandylions;doch' nettle;hawthorn; insects of innumerable types.
By contrast the wheat fields are depleted of soil,and loam, and the mono-crop relies wholly on artificial fertiliser, and pesticides.
Eating wheat is more harmful to the environment than eating meat.
But there's an equally significant point that goes with it: if we relied only on wild hunting, our human 'needs' for meat would not and could not be met. Assuming we are unwilling to consider mass (human) starvation or culling, factory farming has become necessary and unavoidable. Unless, perhaps, we all started to eat an exclusively vegetarian diet?
We are not adapted to eat a vegetarian diet.
Consider the100s of thousands of years that humans emerged from Africa before the days of agriculture. The availability of energy rich plants that are also safe to eat is minimal. Root vegetables were tiny compared to the domesticated varieties now, and so were fruits, which were only available in the autumn.
Animals protect themselves from predation with legs. Plants do it by harbouring toxic leptins in their tissues which are noxious in smell and taste to the human palate. Animal flesh is wholly edible and provides 100% the dietary needs of humans.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:19 am We are not adapted to eat a vegetarian diet.
Agreed. Evolution has made us omnivorous. But if we focus sharply on the need to feed so very many human beings, a vegetarian diet will make more efficient use of the available land. This does not detract from the truth of all that you said (and I didn't quote), but it exists alongside your points. As a plague species, our numbers are vastly in excess of the land's ability to feed us by any 'normal' or 'natural' means, so we need to focus on the most efficient way of using the land to nourish all those humans. I think that way is vegetarianism, isn't it? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:40 am
Good grief! Nor did I say that you said..... whoops, this could go on forever.

99% of the meat consumed in the U.S. is factory farmed, and 95% in the U.k. (acc. multiple sources). It is possible to buy expensive, free-range meat, but most people don't do it. (The majority of the fish consumed is also famed,these days, but I don't have statistics.)

In addition, only 14% of hunting and gathering societies studied get 50% or more of their calories from meat. It's more ususal to get 65-70% of calories from plants.
Pattern: Clarification: I feel forced to conclude that there is no convincing philosophical argument in favour of hunting, by humans, with guns.
Doesn't the "with guns" quualifiation fly in the face of Sulptor's objections to hunting as inhumane? I don't have any statistics, but I'm quite sure that hunting with bows or spears causes the prey animals to suffer more than hunting with rifles. Inferior weapons are less likely to kill cleanly. In addition, the hunting methods of many aboriginal hunters included traps and snares which often caused prolonged suffering. I'll grant that bow hunting or spear hunting is more romantic than hunting with a rifle, but not that it is somehow more moral. Why would it be?

Either hunting is moral or immoral. I think vegetarians have a reasonable argument that it is immoral. But even they risk being labelled as elitist and ethnocentric if they criticize the vanishing groups of hunters and gatherers thAt still exist.

Here in the U.S. , many rural people still get a signficant protion of their diets from hunting. Rural dwellers tend to make less money than their urban counterparts -- but they also need less, and hunting is one reason why.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:53 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:19 am We are not adapted to eat a vegetarian diet.
Agreed. Evolution has made us omnivorous. But if we focus sharply on the need to feed so very many human beings, a vegetarian diet will make more efficient use of the available land.
No - it is s greenist myth.
Mot agro land cannot sustain edible plants practically.
This does not detract from the truth of all that you said (and I didn't quote), but it exists alongside your points. As a plague species, our numbers are vastly in excess of the land's ability to feed us by any 'normal' or 'natural' means, so we need to focus on the most efficient way of using the land to nourish all those humans. I think that way is vegetarianism, isn't it? 🤔
If there are too many mouths, then it would be much better on the ecology to work towards reducing the number of mouths to feed.

The solution ATM seem to be the production of "food-like substances" made in factories which include fake ingredients like seed oils made in factories, trans-fats, fructose and other sugar based substances, which are high in energy, low in satiation, high in lipogenesis, and low in micronutrients.
Wheat seems to e one of the chief substances that are mobilised to solve this problem and it is claimed that an acre of monoculture wheat makes more calories than growing meat on the same land. Yet there are problems with this way of thinking. First is that you cannot grow wheat on a hill farm. WHeat intolerance is a growing problem; wheat causes Alzheimers (Grain Brain, Dr. David Perlmutter) and is the cause of celiacs disease.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ecurb wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:28 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:40 am
Good grief! Nor did I say that you said..... whoops, this could go on forever.

99% of the meat consumed in the U.S. is factory farmed, and 95% in the U.k. (acc. multiple sources). It is possible to buy expensive, free-range meat, but most people don't do it. (The majority of the fish consumed is also famed,these days, but I don't have statistics.)
Please cite from reliable sources.
Not that it would support your hysterical claim.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

GE Morton wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:20 am
AverageBozo wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:08 am
I think you are talking about not all guns but assault rifles. They are associated with mass murder and poor sportsmanship on the part of hunters who need to spray their intended target in hopes of hitting it.
If by "assault rifle" you mean the semi-auto rifles so mis-named by the gun banners, they don't "spray." They are not full-auto rifles. Most modern rifles sold in the US, and virtually all handguns, are semi-auto.
Thanks for the correction.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 10:40 am

Don't you have google on your computer? "Hysterical claims"?

OK, much as I hate to do your reasearch for you, you appear too incompetent to do it yourself, so I'll help:

Percentage of plant food in hunter/gatherer diets:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1070216 ... nt%20foods.

Percentage of meat that is factory farmed in the U.S. and U.K.

https://plantbasednews.org/opinion/opin ... l-welfare/ (this one says 85%, but other sites say 95% -- a 5 minute search didn't lead me to the site where I saw 95%)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... on-reveals

U.S. stats:

https://faunalytics.org/fundamentals-farmed-animals/

https://www.livekindly.com/99-animal-pr ... ory-farms/

Here's a review of the world situation:

https://cdn.fairr.org/2015/12/13134508/ ... _Risks.pdf
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 10:39 am
Wheat seems to e one of the chief substances that are mobilised to solve this problem and it is claimed that an acre of monoculture wheat makes more calories than growing meat on the same land. Yet there are problems with this way of thinking. First is that you cannot grow wheat on a hill farm. WHeat intolerance is a growing problem; wheat causes Alzheimers (Grain Brain, Dr. David Perlmutter) and is the cause of celiacs disease.
Well, you've destroyed your credibility with those claims. "Can't grow wheat on a hill farm"? Ever heard of the Palouse region in the Pacific Northwest? It is the most productive wheat-growing area in the US (in terms of bushels/acre), and is nearly all steep hills. Self-leveling combines were invented to harvest wheat on those farms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse
palouse.jpg
And David Perlmutter is a snake oil-peddling quack.

https://www.thecut.com/2015/06/problem- ... octor.html
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ecurb wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 11:38 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 10:40 am

Don't you have google on your computer? "Hysterical claims"?
Yes and I immediately found out that you exaggerated.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

GE Morton wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:11 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 10:39 am
Well, you've destroyed your credibility with those claims. "Can't grow wheat on a hill farm"? Ever heard of the Palouse region in the Pacific Northwest? It is the most productive wheat-growing area in the US (in terms of bushels/acre), and is nearly all steep hills. Self-leveling combines were invented to harvest wheat on those farms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse
That is not a hill farm..
Capture.JPG
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream