What is the meaning of All life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Paul91

Re: What is the meaning of All life?

Post by Paul91 »

Sy Borg wrote: October 16th, 2022, 4:58 pm Without death, how much meaning would life have?
From an ending can arise a new beginning. We experience this daily.

I can't see how life would have any meaning if an individual's experience came to an ultimate conclusion. Who is trying to survive and why?

Do we wish to have a rich life experience, because we "may as well"? Yes, there may be an end to your identity and place in this world, but for your consciousness to be cut off?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Paul91 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 7:05 pm
Sy Borg wrote: October 16th, 2022, 4:58 pm Without death, how much meaning would life have?
From an ending can arise a new beginning. We experience this daily.

I can't see how life would have any meaning if an individual's experience came to an ultimate conclusion. Who is trying to survive and why?

Do we wish to have a rich life experience, because we "may as well"? Yes, there may be an end to your identity and place in this world, but for your consciousness to be cut off?
My consciousness shuts off every night, as does yours and everyone else's.

I think our identities are only important on a local level, to us and those with whom we have bonded. When I am gone, there will be others to think the thoughts I would have thought, and some people will do the things I would have done. So we are always present in that sense, being a representative of enduring attributes within a larger whole, like sentient cells.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

DNA replicates by dividing down the middle and attracting chemicals from its environment to rebuild the corresponding half. This is the fundamental nature of the relation between the organism and reality. One can consider it a truth relation; in that the organism must be true to reality to survive. This plays out on every level of evolution - the physiological, the behavioural - and in us, the intellectual. Our purpose, following from our nature is to know what's true of reality - and act accordingly. We are failing in this purpose, and will likely soon be rendered extinct as a consequence.

It's strange though; because we are far from a stupid species. It's almost as if we are too smart for our own good; too capable of lying to ourselves and eachother for truth to ever emerge as offering maximal utility. A slower species would likely cling to what little truth they are able to discern like a life raft; but we humans - oh, we have such a facility for discerning truth, we can look beyond to a self serving lie based upon it - and play all this out in a quadratic equation of power relations, deceiving A to have B effect on C's conduct with regard to D - and so on and on. We are smart enough to be wicked - but still too dumb to survive! If we were really smart; we wouldn't believe our own lies!

If we were really, really smart the relation between the validity of the knowledge bases of action, and the validity of outcome within a causal reality - would be obvious, and would discern against the lies for which we have such facility. But it seems, while smart enough to be capable of lying, we are also gullible enough to believe lies that flatter us or confirm our prejudices. We fail to comprehend the relation between truth, behaviour and outcome, and so do not employ the utility of truth as a filter that would naturally bring us back to accord with reality were we deceived. Instead, we believe the lie; filter apparent facts to confirm the lie, and resist truth in protection of our ego! We are a very strange organism - but not for long!
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

Mercury wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:59 pm If we were really, really smart the relation between the validity of the knowledge bases of action, and the validity of outcome within a causal reality - would be obvious, and would discern against the lies for which we have such facility. But it seems, while smart enough to be capable of lying, we are also gullible enough to believe lies that flatter us or confirm our prejudices. We fail to comprehend the relation between truth, behaviour and outcome, and so do not employ the utility of truth as a filter that would naturally bring us back to accord with reality were we deceived. Instead, we believe the lie; filter apparent facts to confirm the lie, and resist truth in protection of our ego! We are a very strange organism - but not for long!
Hi Mercury,

Do you think our "sense of self" or ego is what turns our attention inward towards selfish reaction, as opposed to an outward-looking altruistic cooperation in an ego-less state?
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Mercury wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:59 pm If we were really, really smart the relation between the validity of the knowledge bases of action, and the validity of outcome within a causal reality - would be obvious, and would discern against the lies for which we have such facility. But it seems, while smart enough to be capable of lying, we are also gullible enough to believe lies that flatter us or confirm our prejudices. We fail to comprehend the relation between truth, behaviour and outcome, and so do not employ the utility of truth as a filter that would naturally bring us back to accord with reality were we deceived. Instead, we believe the lie; filter apparent facts to confirm the lie, and resist truth in protection of our ego! We are a very strange organism - but not for long!
Paul91 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 11:12 pmHi Mercury,

Do you think our "sense of self" or ego is what turns our attention inward towards selfish reaction, as opposed to an outward-looking altruistic cooperation in an ego-less state?
Good question; and I can only point to the dynamics of the individual within the hunter gatherer tribe - where there is often a direct conflict of interest between the self and the group - for example, the danger of injury to the self defending the tribe from attack, sharing food, mutual grooming and so on.

The tribe tends to punish defectors and free riders - who act in their self interest to the exclusion of the interests of the tribe. One could argue that this is the origin of virtue; and evolution ingrained into the individual organism a social sense of moral obligation - wherein, a moral sensibility is an advantage to the individual within the tribe, and an advantage to the tribe composed of such moral individuals.

All the more surprising then that truth should not emerge more strongly as a moral obligation. Perhaps it can be related to what Nietzsche - in my view, identified but misunderstood - the transvaluation of values. He believed that man in a state of nature was a selfish and violent brute; but I think that's untrue. Certainly, man has always been capable of selfishness and violence, but it's unlikely his 'ubermensch' would have survived to raise offspring generation after generation.

Consequently, the transvaluation of values was not the weak fooling the strong; but rather hunter gather tribes joining together to form multi-tribal societies, and in need of a common authority for explicit moral codes of conduct in which belief has been required. God; an objective authority for moral law, but at the same time - the source of our socially mandated gullibility!

All that said, I'm not sure I answered your question. More directly, yes - that's accurate, but also the natural consequence of individual and group facets of identity.
Paul91

Post by Paul91 »

Mercury wrote: October 16th, 2022, 11:59 pm The tribe tends to punish defectors and free riders - who act in their self interest to the exclusion of the interests of the tribe. One could argue that this is the origin of virtue; and evolution ingrained into the individual organism a social sense of moral obligation - wherein, a moral sensibility is an advantage to the individual within the tribe, and an advantage to the tribe composed of such moral individuals.

All that said, I'm not sure I answered your question. More directly, yes - that's accurate, but also the natural consequence of individual and group facets of identity.
From your understanding, yes, you answered my question. Thank you.

Sy Borg referred me to Robert Axelrod's 1980 computer tournament involving the iterated prisoner's dilemma game. Here's a slideshow summary: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1429470

The best strategy is to start with cooperation and respond in kind to your "opponent's" last move - "tit for tat". It fits with your understanding, I believe.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Mercury wrote: October 16th, 2022, 11:59 pm The tribe tends to punish defectors and free riders - who act in their self interest to the exclusion of the interests of the tribe. One could argue that this is the origin of virtue; and evolution ingrained into the individual organism a social sense of moral obligation - wherein, a moral sensibility is an advantage to the individual within the tribe, and an advantage to the tribe composed of such moral individuals.

Paul91 wrote: October 17th, 2022, 12:23 am From your understanding, yes, you answered my question. Thank you.

Sy Borg referred me to Robert Axelrod's 1980 computer tournament involving the iterated prisoner's dilemma game. Here's a slideshow summary: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1429470

The best strategy is to start with cooperation and respond in kind to your "opponent's" last move - "tit for tat". It fits with your understanding, I believe.
Game theory is interesting, but real life is so much more complex. In evolution, defectors may be excluded from the tribe - particularly if they are young males who may grow up to challenge the alpha male's monopoly on sexual opportunity and the principle share of food resources. This is unlike prisoner's dilemma, and also another key difference between a state of nature and civilisation.

Insofar as chimpanzees troops are an adequate socio-biological analogy, it may be assumed hunter gatherer tribes were fission societies - societies that would eject young pretenders to maintain homeostasis; whereas the multi-tribal social organisation of civilisation is a fusion society. In game theory - there's no getting ejected from the game; whereas in real life, even in a fusion society there are power relations, such that the opponent may have to take a long series of tats before he ventures a tit. Even in a fusion society social exclusion is still the practised; imprisonment for example, but more simply, refusal to acknowledge a truth that contradicts the socially accepted lie. i.e. magma energy. The opponent ignores your move.

The ultimate consequence of this is that it's very difficult to challenge the socially accepted lie; for the lie is advanced from a position of power and accepted because of the potential or actual consequences for refusing to accept the lie. The question then becomes; not tit for tat - but tit for tat, tat, tat, tat, and you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

With regard to magma energy; it's my view that there is nothing to lose - as we are certainly doomed if we do not act, and there's everything to gain from acting. But still there's resistance from the right who deny climate change for the sake of fossil fuel profits; and from the left who use sustainability as a weapon to advance an anti-capitalist political agenda. People lie.

I suppose what I'm saying is, prisoner's dilemma is in the mix - but there's no such simple trick to it. Defection disguises itself as cooperation; often so badly that you know it's defection, but are forced to respond - tit for tat, as if it were cooperation - because ultimately, power devolves to the ability to do violence. That so, what appears to be defection can actually be the ultimate in cooperation. People just don't understand the relation between the validity of the knowledge bases of action and outcome within a causal reality, but rest assured, if you're lying, you're dying!
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I think it could have significant meaning, but that meaning would be quite different. As it is, life being temporary and ephemeral means that our view of it is unavoidably shaped by that non-permanence, as you observe (I think). 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:43 am I think it could have significant meaning, but that meaning would be quite different. As it is, life being temporary and ephemeral means that our view of it is unavoidably shaped by that non-permanence, as you observe (I think). 👍
Apologies. I didn't realise there were so many posts following Sy Borg's comment. Now you can see who I was replying to.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
kaleido

Post by kaleido »

Nietzsche and perspectivism say there are infinite "meanings of life", as many as there are lifeforms. Moreover, your desire to ascribe your meaning to others as also been analyzed by Nietzsche already. I'll leave such quotes as "truth is will to power" and "I mistrust all systematizers and avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:46 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:43 am I think it could have significant meaning, but that meaning would be quite different. As it is, life being temporary and ephemeral means that our view of it is unavoidably shaped by that non-permanence, as you observe (I think). 👍
Apologies. I didn't realise there were so many posts following Sy Borg's comment. Now you can see who I was replying to.
Ah, that helps. My dog has just died and I am operating at a low level (euphemism).

Death both creates and negates meaning. Her final eversion from stem cell to ashes will probably be done today.

All existence (and probably the universe itself) is a process of eversion - parts of reality turning themselves inside out. Everything starts as a speck that, over time, attracts material from the outside. It grows and systematises, as it continues to draw more material from its environment than it loses. Over time, that dynamic stabilises and reverses, as the entity erodes and desystematises. In time it will dissipate, with its insides becoming the outside again.

I cannot imagine meaning without that dynamic. Imagine if everyone was immortal. What would they do?
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

kaleido wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:04 pm Nietzsche and perspectivism say there are infinite "meanings of life", as many as there are lifeforms. Moreover, your desire to ascribe your meaning to others as also been analyzed by Nietzsche already. I'll leave such quotes as "truth is will to power" and "I mistrust all systematizers and avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity."
Do you mean me? 'My' desire to ascribe 'my' meaning?

I call it philosophy; and for me it's a process of taking in things from the world, seeing how they work and explaining it. The meaning is inherent to the thing; and insofar I'm doing my job correctly - nothing of me is imparted.

The Church's trial of Galileo was a mistake; it did result in an overemphasis on Cartesian subjectivity in Western philosophy, and Nietzsche's nihilism was the consequence.

In fact, human beings are moral creatures - morality is a sense ingrained into us by evolution in a tribal context, and religion is an expression of that innate moral sense. Nietzsche's individualistic ubermensch never existed; and truth is not truth because if it isn't I'll kick your teeth in. Because no matter the will or the power, truth is a cause and effect relation to reality, and reality will not be brooked.

This is simply descriptive.
kaleido

Post by kaleido »

Mercury wrote: October 17th, 2022, 6:17 pm
kaleido wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:04 pm Nietzsche and perspectivism say there are infinite "meanings of life", as many as there are lifeforms. Moreover, your desire to ascribe your meaning to others has also been analyzed by Nietzsche already. I'll leave such quotes as "truth is will to power" and "I mistrust all systematizers and avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity."

I call it philosophy; and for me it's a process of taking in things from the world, seeing how they work and explaining it. The meaning is inherent to the thing; and insofar I'm doing my job correctly - nothing of me is imparted.

The Church's trial of Galileo was a mistake; it did result in an overemphasis on Cartesian subjectivity in Western philosophy, and Nietzsche's nihilism was the consequence.

In fact, human beings are moral creatures - morality is a sense ingrained into us by evolution in a tribal context, and religion is an expression of that innate moral sense. Nietzsche's individualistic ubermensch never existed; and truth is not truth because if it isn't I'll kick your teeth in. Because no matter the will or the power, truth is a cause and effect relation to reality, and reality will not be brooked.

Interpretation is subjective. Objectivity is an illusion. All lifeforms "give meaning" the the world. Some meanings are more objective than others. For example, 2+2=4 is true to every healthy human being. But some lifeforms may disagree that 2+2=4, and we healthy human beings promptly put some of these lifeforms in special schools. Because our truth is more powerful--and if you don't agree 2+2=4 you must be, to us, either insane or mentally challenged.

My point is that there is not ONE meaning to life. There are infinite meanings of life, because there are infinite lifeforms, each with their own interpretation of the world and consequently their own meaning of life.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Mercury wrote: October 17th, 2022, 6:17 pm
kaleido wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:04 pm Nietzsche and perspectivism say there are infinite "meanings of life", as many as there are lifeforms. Moreover, your desire to ascribe your meaning to others has also been analyzed by Nietzsche already. I'll leave such quotes as "truth is will to power" and "I mistrust all systematizers and avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity."

kaleido wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:44 pmInterpretation is subjective. Objectivity is an illusion. All lifeforms "give meaning" the the world. Some meanings are more objective than others. For example, 2+2=4 is true to every healthy human being. But some lifeforms may disagree that 2+2=4, and we healthy human beings promptly put some of these lifeforms in special schools. Because our truth is more powerful--and if you don't agree 2+2=4 you must be, to us, either insane or mentally challenged.

My point is that there is not ONE meaning to life. There are infinite meanings of life, because there are infinite lifeforms, each with their own interpretation of the world and consequently their own meaning of life.
How is it, do you suppose that a bird builds a nest before it lays eggs? Are birds consciously aware that it's almost egg laying time, and plan ahead accordingly? No, they do not. They act instinctively. Their purpose is ingrained into them by the 'function or die' algorithm of evolution. Birds build nests before they lay eggs because all the birds that didn't do so are extinct.

There is no subjective interpretation informing the purpose of their existence. Such folly is reserved almost exclusively to homo sapiens. Some higher lifeforms exhibit degrees of subjective self awareness - but the cognitive abilities of even the least gifted human being are qualitatively distinct from these - a world away, and of a different order of magnitude.

To suggest equality of value between human and animal cognition in the interpretation of meaning is a conceit that follows from a false sensibility fostered by an over-emphasis on subjectivism in western philosophy. It's the same sensibility that feeds into critical theory, post modernism, neo marxism, and underlies "right-on" authoritarianism from limits to growth through to political correctness.

Objectivity is not an illusion. Objective reality exists, and we are able to establish valid knowledge of it. We can tell this because technology works - and works better the closer it embodies the scientific laws and principles upon which it is based. Those laws and principles must be valid knowledge of reality because technology based on those principles functions within a causal reality!
kaleido

Post by kaleido »

There are no laws of nature. Nietzsche already explained this somewhere in his BGE. And even my quote above explains it. Just because a force appears to be an immutable law to you, because you've observed it for millennia, it does not mean that tomorrow it won't change. There is no certainty, there is only calculated guesses.

Animals function by instincts which were developed over millions of years by trial and error, via a process we call evolution.

Nietzsche: "All that is good is instinctive—and hence easy, necessary, free."

You should read more Nietzsche. He solved practically all the problems. He pretty much completed philosophy.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream