Two questions related to Memento Mori | If you were definitely going to die in exactly one week...

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Two questions related to Memento Mori | If you were definitely going to die in exactly one week...

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Imagine you found out today that you were definitely going to die in exactly one week, and there was no way to stop it from happening.

Two questions:

1. What would you do differently with your next seven days if you knew they were your last seven days?

2. Why don't you do that anyway?

These aren't rhetorical questions. I am genuinely interested in your honest answer to both questions. 🙂
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Charlemagne
Favorite Philosopher: Chesterton

Re: Two questions related to Memento Mori | If you were definitely going to die in exactly one week...

Post by Charlemagne »

Well now, you know this is the question Blaise Pascal posed. As he put it, live as though you had but eight hours left to live. The things of this world would pale to insignificance because we cannot take them into the grave with us. I think there is no question many an atheist would unclench his fist against God, and many a Christian would clench his fist against the devil by way of a deathbed plea for God's forgiveness and mercy. Yes, I think in my last days I would give everything I own to a worthy cause and I would retire to pray constantly, as Saint Paul advised. The immanence of death is a wonderful aphrodisiac for being drawn to God.
Tegularius

Re: Two questions related to Memento Mori | If you were definitely going to die in exactly one week...

Post by Tegularius »

Charlemagne wrote: October 27th, 2022, 2:55 pm I think there is no question many an atheist would unclench his fist against God, and many a Christian would clench his fist against the devil by way of a deathbed plea for God's forgiveness and mercy.
I doubt that. There are always a few; considering the numbers that would be a high probability when the end is near but certainly not many.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Scott wrote: October 27th, 2022, 2:15 pm Imagine you found out today that you were definitely going to die in exactly one week, and there was no way to stop it from happening.

Two questions:

1. What would you do differently with your next seven days if you knew they were your last seven days?

These aren't rhetorical questions. I am genuinely interested in your honest answer to both questions. 🙂
You wouldn't do it because planning for one's future or continuance for whatever period is not the same as planning for one's end.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Tegularius wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:28 pm
Charlemagne wrote: October 27th, 2022, 2:55 pm I think there is no question many an atheist would unclench his fist against God, and many a Christian would clench his fist against the devil by way of a deathbed plea for God's forgiveness and mercy.
I doubt that. There are always a few; considering the numbers that would be a high probability when the end is near but certainly not many.
I can only speak from personal knowledge regarding one of my grandfathers and an uncle, both atheists. Weeks before his death, my grandfather asked me to pray for him. Weeks before his death my uncle started wearing a cross, and just hours before he died was attended by a priest. The famous atheist philosopher Jean Paul Sartre consulted with a Rabbi weeks before he died and one of his friends and followers declared he had died a believer. Antony Flew, famous atheist, about a year before his death wrote a book titled There Is a God.

You may be right. There may be relatively few in this category, but I'm inclined to suspect there are many more than we can prove.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Scott wrote: October 27th, 2022, 2:15 pm Imagine you found out today that you were definitely going to die in exactly one week, and there was no way to stop it from happening.

Two questions:

It is an interesting question to think of the immediacy of death and whether it would lead to a different perspective and behaviour. Would it be about healing broken relationships or about trying to reach some kind of oblivion, through drugs or alcohol? These are my own dilemmas if I was about to die in a week's time. In some ways, certain aspects of life, like money and job searching would diminish and it might be about confronting the biggest existential dilemmas. In that way, I can relate to the song by Freddie Mercury in which he speaks about going 'slightly mad'. The idea of impending death may lead so many dilemmas and conflicts to the surface, with no long term contemplation in the face of imminent death.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Two questions:

I am going to treat these questions seriously.

First, it is highly likely that I would not believe the information. In other words, there are a very limited ways/scenarios that I would take seriously. This is critical since part of what most people would choose to do would be to use up resources that are being otherwise saved for the "future".

That aside, for me personally, I'm retired so I am kind of doing what I want to do right now. I would request my children to take a week's worth of vacation that they wouldn't otherwise. I'd probably go somewhere that we really enjoy (which we're going to go to anyway). So overall not dramatically different than what I am doing (in response to #2).
"As usual... it depends."
stevie

Post by stevie »

Two questions:

Q1: Nothing because mindfulness of death is a continuous practice of mine.
Q2: Since I would do nothing differently I am doing that anyway already.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Charlemagne wrote: October 27th, 2022, 4:47 pm
I can only speak from personal knowledge regarding one of my grandfathers and an uncle, both atheists. Weeks before his death, my grandfather asked me to pray for him. Weeks before his death my uncle started wearing a cross, and just hours before he died was attended by a priest. The famous atheist philosopher Jean Paul Sartre consulted with a Rabbi weeks before he died and one of his friends and followers declared he had died a believer. Antony Flew, famous atheist, about a year before his death wrote a book titled There Is a God.

You may be right. There may be relatively few in this category, but I'm inclined to suspect there are many more than we can prove.
I find it truly pathetic and cowardly to boot, that some, especially the Antony Flew type suddenly get invaded by a god complex as the end gets closer. The main problem and question for me is with the "god" idea; that even if one were to exist would that in itself modify the consequences of having died in any normal sense? Why is it so common to assume there's a continuance of some kind just because one has believed in god throughout life or more conveniently unsubscribe oneself from atheism as a "just-in-case" assurance that one's life-long convictions may not be the best policy being near to demise! Do we ever ask ourselves can a god be fooled that way, because if it can, then the god we imagine existing must be an idiot.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Tegularius wrote: October 28th, 2022, 1:55 pm
Charlemagne wrote: October 27th, 2022, 4:47 pm

I find it truly pathetic and cowardly to boot, that some, especially the Antony Flew type suddenly get invaded by a god complex as the end gets closer. The main problem and question for me is with the "god" idea; that even if one were to exist would that in itself modify the consequences of having died in any normal sense? Why is it so common to assume there's a continuance of some kind just because one has believed in god throughout life or more conveniently unsubscribe oneself from atheism as a "just-in-case" assurance that one's life-long convictions may not be the best policy being near to demise! Do we ever ask ourselves can a god be fooled that way, because if it can, then the god we imagine existing must be an idiot.
Possibly as your end comes near you won't find it so cowardly and pathetic.

The reason people change their mind at the end is not a bad one. They realize that they cannot have been infallibly certain of their atheism all their life. To die shaking your fist at God is really a stupid thing to do. What do you gain from that? So if you renege on your atheism God will understand that, yes, you were looking out for yourself, but also yes, you finally admit to the truth of his existence, and yes one more time, with this admission you might stir yourself up enough to really beg for his forgiveness. But, being omniscient, he will know if your begging is sincere or just a con job. God is not an idiot.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmPossibly as your end comes near you won't find it so cowardly and pathetic.
I have far fewer years ahead of me than I have behind me and with each year's subtraction it becomes evermore obvious what an incomprehensible load of crap all this god stuff really is. It's incredible to conceive that just because one is born human in a population of billions, god is going to psychoanalyze your motives to see if you're worthy of its further attention. Why would it bother such an entity if a petty little human simply goes about thinking his own thoughts on the subject or not thinking about it at all! What could possibly be in it for god either way?
Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmTo die shaking your fist at God is really a stupid thing to do
I agree! That would be tantamount to anathematizing the void. If I were to die shaking my fist it would be at the abstraction called fate...but why bother? It is what it is!
Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmSo if you renege on your atheism God will understand that, yes, you were looking out for yourself, but also yes, you finally admit to the truth of his existence, and yes one more time, with this admission you might stir yourself up enough to really beg for his forgiveness.
...and how could you possibly know that except in terms of pure wishful thinking! Also, why would I need to beg for his forgiveness if my sins are more in collusion with ignorance than any wicked intent. After all, as a mere mortal, fated to fallibility, I'm not omniscient and errors of judgement will invariably be made. This constant begging for forgiveness from a universal all-powerful entity makes god appear like a human tyrant to whom you must kowtow in the hope of extracting some mercy. Can there be a more demeaning way for a god to make itself pathetic?
Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmGod is not an idiot.
True, since god is not anything but a human fiction who seemingly lusts after human attention.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

I think that it may be hard to know how one would really be affected by the death in a week's time until it really happens. It would also involve the circumstances of the death, and also the level of social support one has available.

I have known people who knew that they were dying but not necessarily an exact week. From what I observed, the ways of living and coping with it were varied and not necessarily in line with what may have been expected by others who knew them.

As for Scott's second question as to why a person should not act as they may do a week before dying, that is making the assumption that a person may act at their best at the prospect of death. Some may do so, but not necessarily. However, the question itself reminds me of an exercise on a training course which I once attended. It involved 'The Miracle Question'. This involved thinking about some miracle which may occur in one's life which would be transformational. Then, to imagine that the miracle had occurred as a basis for living. So, the issue may be about living more mindfully, or fully, because in a way life is uncertain and the motto of living each day as though it were one's last may bring a different kind of awareness to life.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Tegularius wrote: October 28th, 2022, 7:34 pm
Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmPossibly as your end comes near you won't find it so cowardly and pathetic.
I have far fewer years ahead of me than I have behind me and with each year's subtraction it becomes evermore obvious what an incomprehensible load of crap all this god stuff really is. It's incredible to conceive that just because one is born human in a population of billions, god is going to psychoanalyze your motives to see if you're worthy of its further attention. Why would it bother such an entity if a petty little human simply goes about thinking his own thoughts on the subject or not thinking about it at all! What could possibly be in it for god either way?
Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmTo die shaking your fist at God is really a stupid thing to do
I agree! That would be tantamount to anathematizing the void. If I were to die shaking my fist it would be at the abstraction called fate...but why bother? It is what it is!
Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:21 pmSo if you renege on your atheism God will understand that, yes, you were looking out for yourself, but also yes, you finally admit to the truth of his existence, and yes one more time, with this admission you might stir yourself up enough to really beg for his forgiveness.
...and how could you possibly know that except in terms of pure wishful thinking! Also, why would I need to beg for his forgiveness if my sins are more in collusion with ignorance than any wicked intent. After all, as a mere mortal, fated to fallibility, I'm not omniscient and errors of judgement will invariably be made. This constant begging for forgiveness from a universal all-powerful entity makes god appear like a human tyrant to whom you must kowtow in the hope of extracting some mercy. Can there be a more demeaning way for a god to make itself pathetic?

True, since god is not anything but a human fiction who seemingly lusts after human attention.
First you talk about God as though he were a fiction. Then you talk about him as if he were an idiot. You cannot know for a certainty that either of these things is certain. What does seem certain is that if you were God, you would run the show altogether another way. There would be no sin, no need to forgive sin. No laws required, and therefore no need to obey laws. Imagine that state of affairs in the real world. I'm fairly certain you would approve of such a world, since you seem to think under these conditions alone would you approve of a God "who lusts after human attention."

By the way, is it pathetic for humans to lust after human attention? Then why would it be pathetic for God to do the same?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:44 pm
Tegularius wrote: October 28th, 2022, 7:34 pm

First you talk about God as though he were a fiction. Then you talk about him as if he were an idiot. You cannot know for a certainty that either of these things is certain. What does seem certain is that if you were God, you would run the show altogether another way. There would be no sin, no need to forgive sin. No laws required, and therefore no need to obey laws. Imagine that state of affairs in the real world. I'm fairly certain you would approve of such a world, since you seem to think under these conditions alone would you approve of a God "who lusts after human attention."

By the way, is it pathetic for humans to lust after human attention? Then why would it be pathetic for God to do the same?
Uummm... because most current gods are supposed to be infinitely more knowledgeable and powerful than humans. If it is illogical for you to care what a virus thinks, why wouldn't it be equally illogical for your god to care what you think?
"As usual... it depends."
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Charlemagne wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:44 pm
What does seem certain is that if you were God, you would run the show altogether another way.
Damn right I would but not in any of the ways you suppose.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream