Should philosophy be a mandatory study in grade school?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
JDBowden

Should philosophy be a mandatory study in grade school?

Post by JDBowden »

I remember the first time we had exposure to the subject, it was an elective in high school. I believe, if my memory does not fail me, starting in the 10th or 11th grade. I also remember that they struggled to keep the program open as no one was signing up for it.

Furthermore, I went decades without philosophy, and have (fairly) recently dove into the subject.

So, should it be taught as part of the curriculum, or kept as an elective? I know underwater basket weaving classes must be kept on the curriculum and cannot be removed ::cough:: politically motivated grooming.
ernestm

Re: Should philosophy be a mandatory study in grade school?

Post by ernestm »

Well, I thought so, and I asked about it in 2015. I got a hell of alot of complaints from philosophy teachers. They said it was impossible to teach people how to think if they don't want to. I was very upset about that, but since Trump won the Presidency ive seen far too much evidence they were right, sadly.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Perhaps kids should learn how to read, write and perform basic arithmetic before diving into Philosophy.

Also, isn't studying philosophy in grade school a recipe for teachers (untrained in the discipline) to promote their own brand of propaganda?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JDBowden wrote: November 5th, 2022, 7:16 am So, should [philosophy] be taught as part of the curriculum, or kept as an elective?
My view is that serious, considered, thought — which is what philosophy is — should be taught at all levels of education, along with other subjects. Why would/should we not?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: November 5th, 2022, 10:14 am Also, isn't studying philosophy in grade school a recipe for teachers (untrained in the discipline) to promote their own brand of propaganda?
This is a post-truth response. Distrust of experts, and the right not only to one's opinions, but for one's opinions to be right (correct) too.

Will we close our schools because paedophiles, who are drawn to any job that allows access to children, are likely to try to become teachers? No, we simply try to ensure that our teachers aren't paedophiles, and we trust the rest of them to educate our children.

At some point, trust in others becomes necessary and essential. Philosophy teachers would teach philosophy, just as maths teachers teach maths without brainwashing their pupils into a sinister affinity with algebra.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 5th, 2022, 11:13 am
Ecurb wrote: November 5th, 2022, 10:14 am Also, isn't studying philosophy in grade school a recipe for teachers (untrained in the discipline) to promote their own brand of propaganda?
This is a post-truth response. Distrust of experts, and the right not only to one's opinions, but for one's opinions to be right (correct) too.

Will we close our schools because paedophiles, who are drawn to any job that allows access to children, are likely to try to become teachers? No, we simply try to ensure that our teachers aren't paedophiles, and we trust the rest of them to educate our children.

At some point, trust in others becomes necessary and essential. Philosophy teachers would teach philosophy, just as maths teachers teach maths without brainwashing their pupils into a sinister affinity with algebra.
Well that's what what I thought at first, and I argued with philosophy teachers about it for several years, but the fact is, Trump demonstrates empirically that people are incapable of learning how to think if they don't want to. So it might be advocated as a post-truth necessary fact, which is definitely wrong, but as a justified belief, I'd have to say they are right.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

I would have liked philosophy to be on the school curriculum, but it wasn't, so I ended up only having religious studies as the nearest possibility. An exercise in sixth form was writing a 'spiritual autobiography' and this, alongside delving into all kinds of philosophy was the nearest I experienced. Howeve, I do know a couple of people who did study philosophy at school and they don't appear to have questioned the ideas(Catholic or Muslim) which they were taught as children. I am not saying that one has to rebel necessarily, but that which goes under the topic of 'philosophy' may be as important as whether or not philosophy is part of the curriculum as an official school subject, or even as the related field of critical thinking, Critical thinking may offer the scope and tools for analysing concepts.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 5th, 2022, 11:13 am

Here in the U.S., grade school teachers have degrees in education. Most of them have never taken a Philosophy course in their life. So my distrust is not for experts, but of ignorance. (Grade school in the U.S. is grades 1-6, students are 6-11 years old.)

We have enough problems teaching basic literacy, arithmetic, and history. Do you really think rankly amateur philosophers should teach 6 year olds? Wouldn't most of the purported philosophy classes in the Bible Belt end up being Christian? Can ethics be divorced from religion (for many people), and if not is the separation of Church and State an issue?

Of course it's reasonable to teach the basics of logic and critical thinking. Beyond that, we're asking too much of both teachers and young students.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Aspects of philosophy (logic) should be taught indirectly already. Philosophy courses should be offered if there is a teacher to teach it and students interested in taking it.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: November 5th, 2022, 8:01 pm We have enough problems teaching basic literacy, arithmetic, and history.
There are few teachers with any philosophical education themselves, just as ignorance often exists also in — for example — science, maths and technology. I have even encountered some who express pride that they can't wire an electrical plug. Politically, and culturally too, this may be down to the fact that we don't value teachers, as shown by the relatively poor salaries they receive compared with many other occupations. But now I'm diversifying too much from the topic.

I have encountered very few people who are philosophically educated. These days, education is more and more centred on obtaining profitable employment. I think this is a shame. All education benefits all of us. It percolates throughout our societies. And perhaps philosophy — serious, considered, thought — should be one of the core subjects? I think it should.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JDBowden

Post by JDBowden »

Maybe I worded this incorrectly... By grade school I mean, high school... And perhaps not to dive head first into the subject but rather just simply knowing who some of the players were and what their personal viewpoint was. We all knew who Plato was, but knew nothing about the guy

Has anyone seen the show (it was on Netflix a couple yrs ago) Merlí? It was a Catalan/Spanish series about a philosophy teacher. Whereas some of the storyline was borderline weird, the basis of it was pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merl%C3%AD_(TV_series)
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

I would want to see the curriculum before exposing any child to philosophy. It seems to me that academic philosophy feels it necessary to catalogue every bad idea along with every good one, without any guidance as to how to discern one from the other. The Hard Determinist, for example, would just as soon rob every child of their free will and undermine responsibility, by spreading the delusion that reliable cause and effect is some kind of prison that one must escape, but cannot. It's a forking horror story. And it is shameful to entrap children in that silly paradox with no logical ladder to climb out.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:41 pm I would want to see the curriculum before exposing any child to philosophy. It seems to me that academic philosophy feels it necessary to catalogue every bad idea along with every good one, without any guidance as to how to discern one from the other. The Hard Determinist, for example, would just as soon rob every child of their free will and undermine responsibility, by spreading the delusion that reliable cause and effect is some kind of prison that one must escape, but cannot. It's a forking horror story. And it is shameful to entrap children in that silly paradox with no logical ladder to climb out.
Whether we are teachers, parents, or whatever, we pass our own beliefs on to our children. We would be morally derelict if we did not. For each one of us believes that our own beliefs are right, proper, useful, valuable, etc. Therefore, we are morally obliged to pass on these beliefs to the next generation.

In this overcrowded world, there are about 8,000,000,000 different sets of beliefs. How can we choose between them? We have no access to an independent and Objective Judge, to whose opinion we might agree to defer. So what? Shall we do as you suggest? Or maybe as I suggest? Or perhaps we should ask Bolsonaro, Putin, or Trump? There are opinions of every shade out there. How shall we choose which of them to pass on to our descendants?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Of course the basic principles of moral systems should be taught. And the foundation of ethics. And logic. Don't call it "philosophy" andstart with a bunch of foreign names and their weird schools of thought. Call it: Reason.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Alias wrote: November 8th, 2022, 12:16 am Of course the basic principles of moral systems should be taught. And the foundation of ethics. And logic. Don't call it "philosophy" andstart with a bunch of foreign names and their weird schools of thought. Call it: Reason.
Morals and ethics are culturally-defined, but they can still be taught, of course. "Reason"? Yes, that would do; my personal preference is for "serious, considered, thought". 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream