Why science has trouble with consciousness

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Why science has trouble with consciousness

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Mgrinder wrote: November 19th, 2022, 2:54 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 19th, 2022, 9:17 am
Yes, the behaviour of the world is such that it appears to follow our model of cause and effect, but we would be prideful indeed if we asserted that our model is the reference, and the world does what the model says it must. No, the world is the reference. It does what it does without the need for rules, laws, or models. The latter are for our convenience. The world does not need them, it does not have them, and it does not use them.

Whenever the world does not behave as our models predict, this is because our models are faulty, or at least incomplete. The world is always right; it is the reference, the master, as I say.

There is no cause and effect, in the sense that they are not attributes of the world, but only of our model(s) of the world. See above.
You are just asserting this, and talking about things that more less impossible to talk about in any meaningful way, basically taking the position of extreme skepticism (sorry if I am wrong about this), which is useless if one wants to get somewhere and figure out how the world works. The fact that the idea of cause and effect works means that we can use it to understand the world and make progress, and you have no better idea, obviously. You are also taking the discussion far beyond the OP, into the waters of extreme skepicism which has nothing to do with the question of whether or not consciousness can be part of what we call the "laws of nature". I have proposed how this might work, but you do not address it, just invoke extreme skepticism on things not talkable about. I'd rather hear your thoughts on the OP, if you have some.

Not trying to be rude here, just rather talk about the OP.
Apologies. Please just enjoy your OP.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Mgrinder wrote: November 17th, 2022, 5:03 pmNatural laws do exist, there is mathematical regularity in nature which we can exploit. As to what exactly they are, I'd like to know that too. Particles go from place to place in a certain way, not another way, hence physical laws. Something is "leading" it in some sense, though not in a god like agent sense. Still there is nothing wrong with saying "leading". The word "leading" does not have to mean an agent doing something. If you have a better word, please share.
There are neurological mechanisms of consciousness whose dynamics in the form of molecular and atomic motions and interactions isn't chaotic but orderly in the sense of being nomologically structured by virtue of non-accidental regularities.
(My neighbour regularly walks his dog, but his doing so is not a law of nature, because there is no necessity or inevitability involved.)

Here's what Tim Maudlin thinks laws are. (He's a primitivist or fundamentalist about the concept of a natural law in the sense that he believes that "the notion of a law cannot be reduced to other more primitive notions.")

"My own proposal is simple: laws of nature ought to be accepted as ontologically primitive. We may use metaphors to fire the imagination: among the regularities of temporal evolution, some, such as perhaps that described by Schrödinger’s equation, govern or determine or generate the evolution. But these metaphors are not offered as analyses. In fact it is relatively clear what is asserted when a functional relation is said to be a law. Laws are the patterns that nature respects; to say what is physically possible is to say what the constraint of those patterns allows.

(Maudlin, Tim. The Metaphysics Within Physics. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007. p. 15)

If laws are objective patterns in nature, they aren't just patterns that nature happens to respect; they are patterns that nature has to respect, because they are grounded in the essences of things, i.e. in what they are, what they can do or not do, and what they are disposed to do or not to do.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Mgrinder
Premium Member

Post by Mgrinder »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:28 am
As far as I know, photons do not and cannot split into two. The link you provided does not mention this splitting.
It basically does, but anyways, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUpruigMsE

It also splits into two in a double slit experiment with a single photon. If you put thin mirror between the slits, shaped like a wedge, after the slits, you reflect half the photon one way, half the other . Put two detectors nearby, and 50% of the time you get a detection at one, 50% at the other. But you can imagine recombining these two halves, and get interference. Would work with electrons too, if you can reflect them.
Mgrinder
Premium Member

Post by Mgrinder »

Consul wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Here's what Tim Maudlin thinks laws are. (He's a primitivist or fundamentalist about the concept of a natural law in the sense that he believes that "the notion of a law cannot be reduced to other more primitive notions.")

"My own proposal is simple: laws of nature ought to be accepted as ontologically primitive. We may use metaphors to fire the imagination: among the regularities of temporal evolution, some, such as perhaps that described by Schrödinger’s equation, govern or determine or generate the evolution. But these metaphors are not offered as analyses. In fact it is relatively clear what is asserted when a functional relation is said to be a law. Laws are the patterns that nature respects; to say what is physically possible is to say what the constraint of those patterns allows.

(Maudlin, Tim. The Metaphysics Within Physics. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007. p. 15)

If laws are objective patterns in nature, they aren't just patterns that nature happens to respect; they are patterns that nature has to respect, because they are grounded in the essences of things, i.e. in what they are, what they can do or not do, and what they are disposed to do or not to do.
Okay, I think. I don't see why there isn't room for a "calculation" of sorts (invloving qualia) that happens for each wavefunction collapse (which enables nature to "decide" what to do next) that creates a regular pattern that nature respects.

To expand on how this might work, whenever particles change state, you get a qualia and a "calculation" of sorts. However, the vast majority of these qualia are nothing to write home about, as they involves no memories (no references to past states) and no sense of self. They are maybe like the first thought a baby ever has. An electron changing state in an Iron atom might have a qualia like seeing grey, then a different shade of grey the next time, except worse, because each shade of grey for an electron in an Iron atom is entierly unique and novel, as it cannot reference any past shades of grey.

Many changes of state for particles in a brain or any living organism like a bacteria would be the same, except some of them involve large molecules, connected to others in some way not quite clear to me, that would enable the collapse of the molecule to be rather complex. As it collapses, it can access alot of information, including memories and/or a sense of self. I think the microtubules proposed by Penrose and Hafferhoff look like they might fit the bill, as the microtubule is like a spider web connected to others, and if the whole thing becomes one quantum object briefly, as it collapses it must calculate what to do next in a complex environment, which could very well reference past states and a sense of self. Hope that makes sense.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Mgrinder wrote: November 18th, 2022, 3:11 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 18th, 2022, 1:15 pm
The "laws of nature", "cause", and "effect", are elements of mental models created by humans in an effort to understand the universe, or 'nature'. Nature itself includes no such things. It is what it is, and in consequence, it does what it does. No rules; no laws; no models necessary or present.
Well sure, but the models work. We don't know what nature is really doing, probably can't. However we want to understand what is going as best we can, hence science.

The point is that in our attempt to understand nature, we have a conceptual scheme that has relegated the phemomenon of consciousness into what we conceptualize as "physical laws". We don't realize this. Whatever these laws are, something is "doing" something to objects to make them behave the way they do (I don't know how on earth one can phrase this process properly with words) and consciousness plays a role in this, as it calculates what should happen next for each and every change of state. Other factors (space, time, mass) play a role too.

Notice how this solves the free will problem: We notice that these physical laws make our behavior predictable in principle, but too difficult to predict in practice. The fact that we are potentially utterly predictable by the laws of nature naturally makes us assume that we have no free will, makes us assume that something other than "us" controls us (because obviously, we can't be the laws of nature, or so everyone thinks). However, if we are part of the laws of nature, then we do have free will in the sense that we are part of the cause of what happens. We're still predictable, but it is "us" that is doing things, rather than us being controlled by physical laws.

The fact that this idea explains free will, why thoughts are not physical, and why science can't find a role for consciousness, make is seem like a pretty good theory.
Yes! And as it relates to the OP, your first point is the premise from which PC and others can't seem to argue against. I'm not sure why either.

Because it's obvious that something is causing something, it begs so many questions about what, where, how, who or why things exist the way in which they do that it seems overwhelming to consider its implications. Perhaps he's not up to the task, not sure. I'm trying to follow his logic. For instance, even if there was a conceptual landscape of complete chaos, it (that thing-in-itself) in principle still has causal properties or powers. In other words, in principle chaotic systems would still have causes for their existence. Alternatively, the concept of Infinite regress exists for a reason. In either case, you have some sort of causal entity.

But within the context of conscious existence, our Will is calling the shots. It has the causal powers or properties that is logically necessary to cause us to do stuff. Whether it's pure instinct, free will, or a little of both, it holds primacy in effecting our behavior. At the very least, both (the information narrative) are still calling the shots.

Anyway, as occurring in nature, I think that if one were to correspond say, spooky action at a distance to self-organized, self-directed information systems that moves matter around (at the most fundamental level/material interactions), it's not such a leap to conclude information processing is calling the shots. The question is whether information emerges from matter, or matter emerges from information. My world view is the latter. Information processing is calling the shots. Genetically coded instructions that causes conscious existence is calling the shots. No different than quantum particles behaving as if there are instructions causing their behavior. Or phenomena like Higgs Boson and particles coming in and out of existence from seemingly nowhere. And non-locality where there is no apparent physical communication between particles.

Even if one were to think about time and relativity, and how illusionary the stoppage of time actually is, it's more or less like saying time itself comes in and out of existence.

In the end, since the conceptual landscapes of physical matter and biological matter seem diametrically opposed to one another, yet share some similarity, I don't see science bridging the gap. Like a theory of everything (combining relativity and QM), it's still worth trying though... !

I think if we knew where Singularly came from, and we knew how the first species emerged ex nihilo (remember Darwin only hypothesized from an already existing ensemble of creatures) then most of this conversation would not be logically necessary, as we'd already understand the nature of causality and its existence. It's fun to talk about anyway!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Mgrinder
Premium Member

Post by Mgrinder »

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 21st, 2022, 10:35 am
Because it's obvious that something is causing something, it begs so many questions about what, where, how, who or why things exist the way in which they do that it seems overwhelming to consider its implications. Perhaps he's not up to the task, not sure. I'm trying to follow his logic. For instance, even if there was a conceptual landscape of complete chaos, it (that thing-in-itself) in principle still has causal properties or powers. In other words, in principle chaotic systems would still have causes for their existence. Alternatively, the concept of Infinite regress exists for a reason. In either case, you have some sort of causal entity.

Hard for me to disagree.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream