Materialism is nonsensical VI (subjectivism v. objectivism)

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Gertie

Re: Materialism is nonsensical VI (subjectivism v. objectivism)

Post by Gertie »

N693 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:59 am
Gertie wrote: December 5th, 2022, 9:32 am
N693 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:01 am Gertie,

"metaphysical truth claims" are mostly nonsense”

You are not arguing that your position is true?

“No "views" are "mind-independent.”

So your argument imposes no obligatory force on me? Why are you making it?

“with no determinable truth values.”

When you abstract from a particular triangle (which can never be a perfect triangle), to the universal, your abstraction is definitely determinate. In fact, it’s the only thing that is determinate.
I write paras laying out my position and you reply by putting your own one liners in quote marks and asking further questions about your own made up quotes which I have to struggle to relate to my own position.

This gets old fast for me. I'm not going to continue responding to these types of posts. I'm up for a proper good faith discussion if you are.

Gertie,

That's because you are completely missing the boat on the indeterminacy problem. Why would I go on-and-on addressing stuff that misses the point? You don't understand what's being said.

Here:

You said that metaphysical truth claims are nonsense and no views are mind-independent. But this argument itself is both.

Now instead of typing, just slow down and think: you make arguments that you think obligate me (i.e. mind-independent).

Why would a truth claim that applies to one particle configuration (you for example) apply to a different particle configuration (me for example)?

If the answer is mixing "mind" (whatever that is) in with matter (as Physical Monism does) and then saying "well, it's a brute fact; it's just a mystery we don't understand", fine, but then it must be mind in universal and not merely particular.

Once you have mind as a universal, it's hard to imagine how this could be called anything close to materialism/physicalism. Not to mention it is just reconstructing the entire Aristotelian apparatus of actuality ("mind" in this case) and potency (matter).

But I will agree on this: the structure of this forum is difficult to follow and the conversation gets unwieldy fast; especially with antagonistic snipers who just want to sound smart.
N693 - YOU WERE QUOTING GE MORTON NOT ME. TURNS OUT YOU ADDRESSED YOUR REPLY TO ME IN ERROR.

I REPLIED TO YOUR POST WHICH IS CORRECTLY ADDRESSED TO ME IN THE POST DIRECTLY BEFORE THIS ONE FROM YOU.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

N693
But I will agree on this: the structure of this forum is difficult to follow and the conversation gets unwieldy fast; especially with antagonistic snipers who just want to sound smart.
Yep, I can't be arsed with that either. And appreciate it's tricky following different one-to-one convos.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

value wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 6:07 pm
Sy Borg wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:00 pm You don't know anything about the singularity at all, let alone where it came from. Or are you suggesting once again that it is more logical to give up on doing science and replace it with Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology?
A singularity is mathematical fiction. It cannot 'exist' in a material sense since it concerns a potential infinity that is dependent on an observer (the mathematician).

Singularities don't represent something physical. Rather, when they appear in mathematics, they are telling us that our theories of physics are breaking down, and we need to replace them with a better understanding.
https://www.livescience.com/what-is-singularity

Sy Borg wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:00 pmI don't think the term "materialist" even makes sense unless you define "material", which you haven't, and probably can't. Nobody else will.
It's to bad that @Terrapin Station has left the forum. He was recently banned on another philosophy forum and he hasn't been active on this forum or on Philosophy Now forum. He is an outspoken 'materialist'.

terrapin-station-banned.png

Terrapin Station wrote: March 5th, 2020, 4:30 pmSo I'm a physicalist. I'm convinced that the mind is simply brain processes.
  1. Do you believe in intrinsic existence without mind?
  2. Do you believe that mind has a cause within the scope of physical reality?
Yes and yes. I'm a realist and a physicalist (aka "materialist").
Yes. If i remember him correctly, I think he was one of those disgruntled Einsteinian Atheists who projected Materialism as being all part of his belief system. But as other's pointed out, his statements were self-refuting. He made the typical category error!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

N693 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:59 am
Gertie,

That's because you are completely missing the boat on the indeterminacy problem. Why would I go on-and-on addressing stuff that misses the point? You don't understand what's being said.
You continue to address responses to my comments to Gertie, even though you've been informed twice of the error.
You said that metaphysical truth claims are nonsense and no views are mind-independent. But this argument itself is both.
False. It is neither.
Why would a truth claim that applies to one particle configuration (you for example) apply to a different particle configuration (me for example)?
That answer is obvious --- because the two "particle configurations" have certain properties in common.
If the answer is mixing "mind" (whatever that is) in with matter (as Physical Monism does) . . ."
"Physical monism" does not "mix mind in with matter." It either rejects "mind" as a real entity or substance, or regards it as a subjective manifestation of a physical process.
. . . "well, it's a brute fact; it's just a mystery we don't understand", fine, but then it must be mind in universal and not merely particular.
If the "mystery" is how a true proposition may apply to more than one "particle configuration," there is nothing mysterious about it. And there is no "mind in universal." All minds are particular. No doubt you're assuming the Platonic conception of "universals," which endows properties which may be exhibited by multiple subjects with ontological independence (the "Forms"). Which is more "metaphysical" nonsense with no explanatory utility.
3017Metaphysician

N693 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:55 pm 3017, I didn't ask what the materialist thinks, I asked what your answer is.

Sy, you don't like invented entities but you advocate string theory?
Oh, sure thing! Because the Materialist has to explain the what, when, where, who, how or why there is something and not nothing, they can't use the exclusivity of the material matter (the matter narrative) as the complete explaining of same. So to answer your question, like physicist Davies posits, I believe it is information that is fundamental not matter. You know, like the phenomena of self-consciousness (OP/Subjectivism), the primacy of one's own Will is that 'thing' which is logically necessary for cause and effect of most all of human behavior. And that which is instinct, remains all part of the information narrative (genetic codes, genes, etc.). Or as Hawking once said that which breath's fire into the equations.

On the other hand, the Materialist, if they choose Objectivism, has to reconcile the metaphysical languages (mathematics) that explain physical reality (physics) itself. You know, the laws that govern material interactions. They are in a pickle! The paradox for them is between scientific laws (information) and material matter. So as Davies alludes in the OP video, now even the laws themselves are in the "melting pot".

anyway, here's the video that captures Part III of my series concerning both narratives:
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

3017Metaphysician wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:49 am
N693 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:08 pm From Terrapin: "I'm convinced that the mind is simply brain processes."

I note the contradiction.
Precisely! It's the category error gift that keeps on giving!!

For instance, a "process" is all part of the instruction relative to self-organized, self-directed propagation of a species. Those are part of the metaphysical laws that govern existence. You know, all part of the information narrative. Specifications, instructions, and so on is that 'thing' that makes things work.

Hence in biology you have one set of laws and instructions (genetic codes, cells, chemicals, etc.), and in physics another (molecules, protons, neurons, etc.). The paradox for the Materialist is that the laws that govern material stuff (physics), requires yet another metaphysical entity for its truth value. What's that entity? Anthropic conditions (humans)' suitable for life where the emergence of mind that can calculate mathematical laws. And mathematics itself is not exclusively material. It's a metaphysical language. These are abstract ideas, much like any qualitative property of the mind (qualia, thoughts and feelings, perception of time, etc. etc.). Remember, just like subject-object, you have immaterialism and materialism, qualities and quantities of things, all in their respective order.

So as you noted, TS contradicted himself. His statement is self-refuting. A" process" in itself is corresponds to all that information processing. What can we say, it's the category error gift that keeps on giving :P
This reminds me of three-way battles in robot fighting where a bot is disabled early, leaving two to fight it out. Sometimes, a bot thinks it can get more points by continuing to attack the disabled bot and trying to avoid the active opponent. For the record, this is a strategic mistake. Once a bot is disabled, further hits don't count with the judges.

Terrapin has gone, but you cling to this one statement and try to pin it on everyone else, even though we all disagreed with Terrapin on that one.

Humans tend to have a huge cognitive bias when it comes to consciousness, often leading them into self-absorbed solipsism.

No, consciousness is not the be-all-and-end-all of reality, but an attribute amongst many, many others. The critical importance of consciousness is a human fantasy, positing their own strengths as more important than anything else.

Consciousness of the type that humans value is just an aspect of reality that is sometimes efficacious to the proliferation of an entity's influence, but usually not. So we dub the less conscious and non-conscious as "meaningless", even while these entities are often going through the same processes as us - inversion, complexification and eventual eversion. Why do we do this? Because we are self obsessed and have little regard for the non-human.

Consciousness requires stimuli to persist in much the same way as digestion needs energy; the body and the outside environment are intrinsically part of consciousness. My guess is that there is an over focus on neurons which inhibits our ability to address the hard problem.
N693

Post by N693 »

I would state it a little differently, but I agree in general.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Gertie wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:08 pm
Well Davies thinks conscious experience is fundamental in the irreducible sense as I understand him.  And that's reasonable imo because either experience can be reduced to fundamental particles and forces (and explained in that way) or it can't.  And there is no apparent way for physicalism  to reduce or explain experience in principle.  (The Hard Problem).  Just asserting experience is the same thing as neural interactions or an emergent property of neural interactions isn't an explanation.  How many quarks are in a taste of ice cream isn't something physicalism has a way of addressing except by such assertions.
While Davies clearly says he thinks consciousness (the experiencing subject) is "fundamental" --- which it is, in my second sense --- I'm not sure he thinks it is because it is not reducible to physical phenomena.

But we need to dwell for a moment on the meaning of "reducible." All that means is that one vocabulary cannot be "translated" into a particular other. It is a linguistic limitation, not a scientific or ontological one. The reason for that is that most of the terms for mental phenomena, "qualia" terms, are simple, primitive. They are terms used to denote a property, but have no denotable properties of their own by which they can be described. As a result they can only be taught ostensively (that is why no one can tell Mary the color scientist what she will experience when she leaves her black-and-white room). In addition, the referents of those terms are inherently subjective --- the term "red," for example, does not refer to some "abstract entity," "redness." It refers instead to the particular sensation YOU experience when beholding something that reflects light in the "red" portion of the spectrum. There is no way to tell whether that sensation is the same for you and me --- and it doesn't matter whether it is, as long as we both apply the term to objects reflecting or emitting light in that range of wavelengths. Qualia are just the tokens by which the brain represents to itself the arrival of various signals over sensory channels. They are sui generis; private, undescribable and unanalyzable. They need only to be distinguishable to serve their function.

It is just not possible to analyze or reductively explain phenomena that is both primitive and subjective. Such things are beyond the reach of empiricism. You can't reductively explain something that can't even be described, much less publicly observed.

The Hard Problem is a pseudo-problem. Explaining consciousness does not require that the terms for conscious phenomena be linguistically reducible to or "translatable" into physical terms. Explanation consists in providing causes for effects, not reconciling vocabularies.

Now, reducibility is necessary WITHIN a physical theory (or any "nomological-deductive" theory). That is nothing more than the demand that the terms of the theory be well-defined and the theory consistent. For example, if our theory postulates a substance called "water" in the external world we postulate (in order to escape solipsism), and further postulates certain forces and particles as the fundamental compositional elements of that external reality, then "water" must be reducible to those fundamental elements. But we postulate that external world and construct a theory of its composition and structure in order to explain our experiences --- to supply a cause for them, to set forth the necessary and sufficient conditions for the appearance of that explicandum. Those experiences are not part of the theory. There is no need to be able to reduce the terminology of the explicandum to that of the explicans; only a need for reducibility among the components of the explicans.
But . . . if we can never know whether they are, what is the point of entertaining them?
Sure, that's the bottom line.  But just look at the standard model.  We're presented with this in your face world  of unimaginable complexity, and some boffins can all but explain  it on a tee shirt, make incredibly detailed predictions, cure microbial diseases, land on the moon.  That shouts we're in touch with the ontological reality in some way. 
To be sure. But "being in touch" (which I take to mean there is some relationship between experience and "reality") is no more than we assumed at the outset, when we postulated an external world to supply a cause for experience. The precise nature of that world and thus that relationship is unknown, and will forever remain a mystery. As Quine and others have pointed out, many possible theories can explain the same phenomena:

"The totality of our so-called knowledge or beliefs, from the most casual matters of geography and history to the profoundest laws of atomic physics or even of pure mathematics and logic, is a manmade fabric which impinges on experience only along the edges. Or, to change the figure, total
science is like a field of force whose boundary conditions are experience. A conflict with experience at the periphery occasions readjustments in the interior of the field. Truth values have to be redistributed over some of our statements. Re-evaluation of some statements entails re-evaluation of others, because of their logical interconnections -- the logical laws being in turn simply certain further statements of the system, certain further elements of the field. Having re-evaluated one statement we must re-evaluate some others, whether they be statements logically connected with the first or whether they be the statements of logical connections themselves. But the total field is so undetermined by its boundary conditions, experience, that there is much latitude of choice as to what statements to re-evaluate in the light of any single contrary experience. No particular experiences are linked with any particular statements in the interior of the field, except indirectly through considerations of equilibrium affecting the field as a whole . . .

"As an empiricist I continue to think of the conceptual scheme of science as a tool, ultimately, for predicting future experience in the light of past experience. Physical objects are conceptually imported into the situation as convenient intermediaries -- not by definition in terms of experience, but simply as irreducible posits comparable, epistemologically, to the gods of Homer. Let me interject that for my part I do, qua lay physicist, believe in physical objects and not in Homer's gods; and I consider it a scientific error to believe otherwise. But in point of epistemological footing the physical objects and the gods differ only in degree and not in kind. Both sorts of entities enter our conception only as cultural posits. The myth of physical objects is epistemologically superior to most in that it has proved more efficacious than other myths as a device for working a manageable structure into the flux of experience."

W.V.O. Quine, "Two Dogmas of Empiricism."

https://www.theologie.uzh.ch/dam/jcr:ff ... uine51.pdf

(That is a classic paper well worth reading)
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

N693 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:59 am You said that metaphysical truth claims are nonsense and no views are mind-independent. But this argument itself is both.
You might think so, but how is it that you think any of us here can approach a mind-independent view, in practice, in our 'real' world? Think about it: a view that is not dependent on the thoughts, beliefs, whims, aspirations, or wishes of any individual, but is universally true? How would we (humans) even approach such a condition?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Sy Borg wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:23 pm
N693 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:08 pm From Terrapin: "I'm convinced that the mind is simply brain processes."

For instance, a "process" is all part of the instruction relative to self-organized, self-directed propagation of a species. Those are part of the metaphysical laws that govern existence. You know, all part of the information narrative. Specifications, instructions, and so on is that 'thing' that makes things work.

Hence in biology you have one set of laws and instructions (genetic codes, cells, chemicals, etc.), and in physics another (molecules, protons, neurons, etc.). The paradox for the Materialist is that the laws that govern material stuff (physics), requires yet another metaphysical entity for its truth value. What's that entity? Anthropic conditions (humans)' suitable for life where the emergence of mind that can calculate mathematical laws. And mathematics itself is not exclusively material. It's a metaphysical language. These are abstract ideas, much like any qualitative property of the mind (qualia, thoughts and feelings, perception of time, etc. etc.). Remember, just like subject-object, you have immaterialism and materialism, qualities and quantities of things, all in their respective order.

So as you noted, TS contradicted himself. His statement is self-refuting. A" process" in itself is corresponds to all that information processing. What can we say, it's the category error gift that keeps on giving :P
This reminds me of three-way battles in robot fighting where a bot is disabled early, leaving two to fight it out. Sometimes, a bot thinks it can get more points by continuing to attack the disabled bot and trying to avoid the active opponent. For the record, this is a strategic mistake. Once a bot is disabled, further hits don't count with the judges.

Terrapin has gone, but you cling to this one statement and try to pin it on everyone else, even though we all disagreed with Terrapin on that one.

Humans tend to have a huge cognitive bias when it comes to consciousness, often leading them into self-absorbed solipsism.

No, consciousness is not the be-all-and-end-all of reality, but an attribute amongst many, many others. The critical importance of consciousness is a human fantasy, positing their own strengths as more important than anything else.

Consciousness of the type that humans value is just an aspect of reality that is sometimes efficacious to the proliferation of an entity's influence, but usually not. So we dub the less conscious and non-conscious as "meaningless", even while these entities are often going through the same processes as us - inversion, complexification and eventual eversion. Why do we do this? Because we are self-obsessed and have little regard for the non-human.

Consciousness requires stimuli to persist in much the same way as digestion needs energy; the body and the outside environment are intrinsically part of consciousness. My guess is that there is an over focus on neurons which inhibits our ability to address the hard problem.
I agree. Step back for a brief moment and realize the powerful impact that the information narrative has on the species. Simply, by virtue of your own narrative (concerning TS, and your concepts such as "cognitive bias", "value", "meaningless", and so on) only reinforces the causal powers of that information narrative. The narrative directly corresponds to not only that which you just mentioned, but the qualities of a thing, not the quantities of a thing. Materialism, in its overall monistic belief system, is only about quantities. It woefully tries to explain everything in terms of material events. Certainly, one can split hairs and argue other subsets, but that's only a "cognitive" projection, rhetorical device, or some other "bias" that causes people to do what they do. Hence, the paradox of the information narrative (Subjectivity, Idealism, the Will, Ontology, Existentialism, and so on) remains alive and well.

What does all that mean? Subjectively, it makes the exclusivity of Materialism even more nonsensical. Why? Because simply, our Will that causes us to do stuff, write about people, wonder about stuff, think about what causes what, and all other forms of higher intellect (Davies hinted at that) is not an exclusive material thingie, entity, or property. Just like all objects, matter itself is just a means to some end/goal. And that end relates to Teleology (see Part II in my series) or purposeful existence. Whether it's all an illusion, is yet another topic for another time (no pun intended).

To that end, I debated with TS, and he denied purposeful existence. Nonsensical indeed! Again, psychology 101 (cognitive science) say's he was just projecting his Subjective "bias" towards that human need to affect his other belief system, which I think you know what that was... . It gave him comfort. As a similar Existential ethos; nothing new under the sun! :D

Anyway, I would disagree your distinction of a thing that's considered "non-conscious" as being meaningless. Unless of course you wish to argue object-object. That is indeed meaningless. Like Maslow once said, humans tend to dichotomize reality. Remember, living life is both/and, not either/or. Isn't that what Materialism attempts to do?
― Albert Einstein
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

3017Metaphysician wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:01 pm
anyway, here's the video that captures Part III of my series concerning both narratives:
That is surely the most incoherent hodgepodge of confusions and "metaphysical" gobbledygook I've come across in a while. "Information has a life of its own"? Egads. The man needs to consult a dictionary, and cease with the amateurish attempts at philosophy.

Information (noun):
1a (1): knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction
b: the attribute inherent in and communicated by one of two or more alternative sequences or arrangements of something (such as nucleotides in DNA or binary digits in a computer program) that produce specific effects

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/information

(Note that per b:, those sequences and their effects only constitute information if they are known to someone. If not they are just physical facts).
3017Metaphysician

GE Morton wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:57 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:01 pm
That is surely the most incoherent hodgepodge of confusions and "metaphysical" gobbledygook I've come across in a while. "Information has a life of its own"? Egads. The man needs to consult a dictionary, and cease with the amateurish attempts at philosophy.

Information (noun):
1a (1): knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction
b: the attribute inherent in and communicated by one of two or more alternative sequences or arrangements of something (such as nucleotides in DNA or binary digits in a computer program) that produce specific effects

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/information

(Note that per b:, those sequences and their effects only constitute information if they are known to someone. If not they are just physical facts).
Suely your material neurons aren't confused again, are they? I spoke with Gammy and she said you haven't calmed those neurons down yet, so I'm afraid more time-out in necessary!

Keep trying GE!

:P
― Albert Einstein
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

3017Metaphysician wrote: December 6th, 2022, 9:37 am Yes. If i remember him correctly, I think he was one of those disgruntled Einsteinian Atheists who projected Materialism as being all part of his belief system. But as other's pointed out, his statements were self-refuting. He made the typical category error!
It seems that in your last interaction with him you were rapsing each others skull.
3017Metaphysician wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 3:46 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 2:09 pm Hello? <raps on 3017Metaphysician's wooden skull> Do you see that I'm asking you questions or not?
Hello? <raps on Terrapin Station's wooden skull> Do you see that I'm asking you questions or not?
Math: is the nature of a physical object abstract, logical or beyond logic?
https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... mit=Search
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

Sy Borg wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:23 pm

Terrapin Station has gone, but you cling to this one statement and try to pin it on everyone else, even though we all disagreed with Terrapin on that one.
In my experience many users would agree with his assertion (the idea that mind is causally produced in the brain). For example Sculptor1 and GE Morton, two of the most prominent users.

A reply in this topic:
GE Morton wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:36 amThere is no contradiction in Terrapin Station's (quoted) statement. The statement is false, but not self-contradictory.
Another user:
SteveKlinko wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:25 am"Today it is clear that there is a causality trajectory from the Physical World to the Conscious World and not the other way around."
The reality of the situation is that the Neural Activity in the Brain causes or produces in some way the Redness Experience.
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

N693 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:50 am Because getting the categories correct between what we can and what we cannot know is important. Earlier I pointed out the contradiction is this statement from Terrapin Station: "I'm convinced that the mind is simply brain processes." No one responded. If the statement is true, there is no "I" and no "convincing"; it's just a tautology that says "chemical output x is chemical output x. But it is not true yet modern thinkers continue to act as if this silliness is "so profound", and "cutting edge".

Avoiding the descent into imbecility is what is at stake.

I am still trying to figure out how the following is possible:
Terrapin Station wrote: March 19th, 2020, 9:37 amI'm an atheist.
Terrapin Station wrote: March 5th, 2020, 4:30 pmSo I'm a physicalist. I'm convinced that the mind is simply brain processes.

I don't at all buy determinism.
  1. Do you believe in intrinsic existence without mind?
  2. Do you believe that mind has a cause within the scope of physical reality?
Yes and yes. I'm a realist and a physicalist (aka "materialist").

A quote by free will sceptics indicates that it is impossible to escape determinism in a purely physical (materialistic) world.
Free Will Sceptics wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:44 am To make a choice that wasn’t merely the next link in the unbroken chain of causes, you’d have to be able to stand apart from the whole thing, a ghostly presence separate from the material world yet mysteriously still able to influence it. But of course you can’t actually get to this supposed place that’s external to the universe, separate from all the atoms that comprise it and the laws that govern them. Your conscious 'I' is just some of the atoms in the universe, governed by the same predictable laws as all the rest.

(2021) The clockwork universe: is free will an illusion?
A growing chorus of scientists and philosophers argue that free will does not exist. Why would they do so?
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/a ... n-illusion

I didn't get any further than the following:
Terrapin Station wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:18 am
You are dodging a simple question: how are you able to maintain a belief in free will as being a materialist?

The cited quote by free will sceptics indicates that it is impossible to escape determinism in a purely physical world.
lol - what a jackass.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream