The Philosophical Virtue of Certitude Shifting

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

The Philosophical Virtue of Certitude Shifting

Post by Leontiskos »

Good philosophers must speak with varying levels of certitude. This is because argument is the movement from more-certain premises to less-certain conclusions (cf. Aristotle, Posterior Analytics). If one is to discourse and dialogue fruitfully they must recognize and convey the fact that they hold one thing with less certitude, another with more. Growth in knowledge and wisdom becomes impossible without this recognition.

Ideally, when two or more people argue or discuss some topic there should be a dance of certitude occurring. In an argument the certitude of one should grow as the certitude of their opponent diminishes, like the ebb and flow of waves as they roll across the sea. In a collaborative discussion the certitude of each collaborator should ebb and flow together as they traverse various common quandaries and solutions. This ideal process will occur most readily when interlocutors are equals, possessing similar philosophical competency.

It is reasonable to hold differing levels of certitude because the certitude of a conclusion ought to correspond to the evidence in favor of that conclusion, and not all conclusions are supported by the same level of evidence. This is especially true when we consider the fact that knowledge specialization occurs among humans. For example, the structural engineer’s knowledge of the structural integrity of bridges will be more certain than the common person’s, and less certain than the engineer’s non-specialized knowledge, such as his confidence in the security of his banking website.

When someone fails to hold differing levels of certitude and speaks apodictically at all times, their peers will tend to ignore them. This is because they are behaving in an irrational and socially ungraceful manner, and are not helpful to those who are seeking truth.

Finally, throughout our lives and especially during philosophical discussions our levels of certitude ought to shift! If we are listening and thinking then our conclusions and the certitude which attaches to those conclusions will shift as we encounter new evidence and arguments. This ability to aptly “downshift” or “upshift” our epistemological transmission is a philosophical virtue! It requires honesty, humility, courage, and a commitment to the truth.

The commonly opposed vice is intransigence and unchanging apodicticity, and this vice results from a covetousness or pride with respect to our own opinions. That is, the vice of intransigence occurs when we are so fond of our own opinions that we become unable to change them, even in the light of new evidence or better arguments. This is a subtle vice that occurs not only among the rash and uninitiated, but also among those who attain a high degree of proficiency and certitude in one specialized area, but then mistakenly transfer that certitude to other areas where it is in no way warranted.

I find that many people become trapped in this intransigence, whether out of habit, boredom, cynicism, pride, or a lack of access to different ideas and outlooks. There are various ways to nourish the virtue, some of which include: reading books written a long time ago, reading outside of your own tradition, taking a break from philosophical discussion so that you can return with fresh ears, considering a difficult philosophical problem or controversy, or reading a giant from your own tradition to remind yourself that you are still a beginner who is ignorant of a great many things.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Re: The Philosophical Virtue of Certitude Shifting

Post by Stoppelmann »

Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm Good philosophers must speak with varying levels of certitude. This is because argument is the movement from more-certain premises to less-certain conclusions (cf. Aristotle, Posterior Analytics). If one is to discourse and dialogue fruitfully they must recognize and convey the fact that they hold one thing with less certitude, another with more. Growth in knowledge and wisdom becomes impossible without this recognition.
I think we experience the same in general conversations, especially on social media, where people pretend to know everything for sure. So, it's no wonder when it enters into philosophical debates as well.
Leontiskos wrote: Ideally, when two or more people argue or discuss some topic there should be a dance of certitude occurring. In an argument the certitude of one should grow as the certitude of their opponent diminishes, like the ebb and flow of waves as they roll across the sea. In a collaborative discussion the certitude of each collaborator should ebb and flow together as they traverse various common quandaries and solutions. This ideal process will occur most readily when interlocutors are equals, possessing similar philosophical competency.
Above all, I think both (all) sides should recognise that their insights usually come from other minds, in my case often wiser minds, and I present how I have understood them. I like the idea of a dance to tease out the truth. How often it has been fruitful to gather thoughts into an open round and then pick out the best. That is, you collect, you sort and then you come to a conclusion. I am not so sure that it should be compared to ebb and flow, that is too often perceived as an experience of loss, but perhaps as a contribution to the bonfire, where everyone contributes their best, and the flame (or the result) shows how bright we have all become. Those who have only small logs to contribute should be respectful, that's true, but everyone benefits from the outcome.
Leontiskos wrote: It is reasonable to hold differing levels of certitude because the certitude of a conclusion ought to correspond to the evidence in favor of that conclusion, and not all conclusions are supported by the same level of evidence. This is especially true when we consider the fact that knowledge specialization occurs among humans. For example, the structural engineer’s knowledge of the structural integrity of bridges will be more certain than the common person’s, and less certain than the engineer’s non-specialized knowledge, such as his confidence in the security of his banking website.

When someone fails to hold differing levels of certitude and speaks apodictically at all times, their peers will tend to ignore them. This is because they are behaving in an irrational and socially ungraceful manner, and are not helpful to those who are seeking truth.
Of course, it is difficult to constantly emphasise how ignorant you are and still present your thoughts with conviction. I think we have to be able to speak (write) with certainty, but it is the attitude that is important. Those who do not allow themselves to be contradicted will, as you say, eventually be ignored, but there should not be an atmosphere like a football match in which one comes out the winner – as has happened again and again throughout history.
Leontiskos wrote: Finally, throughout our lives and especially during philosophical discussions our levels of certitude ought to shift! If we are listening and thinking then our conclusions and the certitude which attaches to those conclusions will shift as we encounter new evidence and arguments. This ability to aptly “downshift” or “upshift” our epistemological transmission is a philosophical virtue! It requires honesty, humility, courage, and a commitment to the truth.

The commonly opposed vice is intransigence and unchanging apodicticity, and this vice results from a covetousness or pride with respect to our own opinions. That is, the vice of intransigence occurs when we are so fond of our own opinions that we become unable to change them, even in the light of new evidence or better arguments. This is a subtle vice that occurs not only among the rash and uninitiated, but also among those who attain a high degree of proficiency and certitude in one specialized area, but then mistakenly transfer that certitude to other areas where it is in no way warranted.
Yes, indeed. To speak of virtue in the modern day is quite brave, but you are right. I have noticed over the years how opinions once full of conviction change after all and it may be that age has helped me see my folly, but it has also been the change of approach (which I should use more often) towards the Socratic midwifery that has assisted me most in my profession, but is a little difficult to implement in a forum, especially if my discussions partner is across the Atlantic in different time zones. The one-on-one discussion is also the most fruitful in my opinion, unless the process of collecting-sorting-conclusion is used.
Leontiskos wrote: I find that many people become trapped in this intransigence, whether out of habit, boredom, cynicism, pride, or a lack of access to different ideas and outlooks. There are various ways to nourish the virtue, some of which include: reading books written a long time ago, reading outside of your own tradition, taking a break from philosophical discussion so that you can return with fresh ears, considering a difficult philosophical problem or controversy, or reading a giant from your own tradition to remind yourself that you are still a beginner who is ignorant of a great many things.
I think there is pride at work here, as well as the other attributes you mention, but especially in a written forum, a certain anonymity encourages those. It is indeed a problem, but even the civil tone of discussion (I confess to not being innocent) is endangered by the fact that we are not facing each other. I find the points you make are very valuable and should be taken to heart by all engaged in discussion
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Stoppelmann wrote: December 20th, 2022, 5:01 am
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm Good philosophers must speak with varying levels of certitude. This is because argument is the movement from more-certain premises to less-certain conclusions (cf. Aristotle, Posterior Analytics). If one is to discourse and dialogue fruitfully they must recognize and convey the fact that they hold one thing with less certitude, another with more. Growth in knowledge and wisdom becomes impossible without this recognition.
I think we experience the same in general conversations, especially on social media, where people pretend to know everything for sure. So, it's no wonder when it enters into philosophical debates as well.
True, but it is worth noting that in a technical sense if one were not able to hold different propositions with different levels of certitude, they would be unable to form syllogisms and learn new knowledge. Now of course even children do this naturally, but recognizing the process and how it works aids our ability to learn and progress in knowledge.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmIdeally, when two or more people argue or discuss some topic there should be a dance of certitude occurring. In an argument the certitude of one should grow as the certitude of their opponent diminishes, like the ebb and flow of waves as they roll across the sea. In a collaborative discussion the certitude of each collaborator should ebb and flow together as they traverse various common quandaries and solutions. This ideal process will occur most readily when interlocutors are equals, possessing similar philosophical competency.
Above all, I think both (all) sides should recognise that their insights usually come from other minds, in my case often wiser minds, and I present how I have understood them. I like the idea of a dance to tease out the truth. How often it has been fruitful to gather thoughts into an open round and then pick out the best. That is, you collect, you sort and then you come to a conclusion. I am not so sure that it should be compared to ebb and flow, that is too often perceived as an experience of loss, but perhaps as a contribution to the bonfire, where everyone contributes their best, and the flame (or the result) shows how bright we have all become. Those who have only small logs to contribute should be respectful, that's true, but everyone benefits from the outcome.
I agree that there will be a collective benefit when the society is able to recognize and integrate wisdom. This is not always the case, especially in the short term, as can be seen in Socrates' execution. Yet on a micro scale I think the ebb and flow is correct. If one's certitude is not ebbing and flowing they will not be engaged in true philosophical pursuits. And yes, the ebbing really is an experience of loss or reduction. When you realize that you do not know as much as you thought you did, and you respond by forfeiting your certitude, you have surely gone through an experience of loss. Being able and willing to experience this loss is extremely important.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmIt is reasonable to hold differing levels of certitude because the certitude of a conclusion ought to correspond to the evidence in favor of that conclusion, and not all conclusions are supported by the same level of evidence. This is especially true when we consider the fact that knowledge specialization occurs among humans. For example, the structural engineer’s knowledge of the structural integrity of bridges will be more certain than the common person’s, and less certain than the engineer’s non-specialized knowledge, such as his confidence in the security of his banking website.

Of course, it is difficult to constantly emphasise how ignorant you are and still present your thoughts with conviction. I think we have to be able to speak (write) with certainty, but it is the attitude that is important. Those who do not allow themselves to be contradicted will, as you say, eventually be ignored, but there should not be an atmosphere like a football match in which one comes out the winner – as has happened again and again throughout history.
I think it is right to say that ideally philosophy should be a common pursuit, where the aim is truth rather than eristic.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmFinally, throughout our lives and especially during philosophical discussions our levels of certitude ought to shift! If we are listening and thinking then our conclusions and the certitude which attaches to those conclusions will shift as we encounter new evidence and arguments. This ability to aptly “downshift” or “upshift” our epistemological transmission is a philosophical virtue! It requires honesty, humility, courage, and a commitment to the truth.

Yes, indeed. To speak of virtue in the modern day is quite brave, but you are right. I have noticed over the years how opinions once full of conviction change after all and it may be that age has helped me see my folly, but it has also been the change of approach (which I should use more often) towards the Socratic midwifery that has assisted me most in my profession, but is a little difficult to implement in a forum, especially if my discussions partner is across the Atlantic in different time zones. The one-on-one discussion is also the most fruitful in my opinion, unless the process of collecting-sorting-conclusion is used.
I also find one-on-one conversations to be the most fruitful. Are you saying that you most prefer in-person discussion, or that you simply prefer formats where continuous conversation is possible and there are not hours-long gaps between each communication?
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmI find that many people become trapped in this intransigence, whether out of habit, boredom, cynicism, pride, or a lack of access to different ideas and outlooks. There are various ways to nourish the virtue, some of which include: reading books written a long time ago, reading outside of your own tradition, taking a break from philosophical discussion so that you can return with fresh ears, considering a difficult philosophical problem or controversy, or reading a giant from your own tradition to remind yourself that you are still a beginner who is ignorant of a great many things.
I think there is pride at work here, as well as the other attributes you mention, but especially in a written forum, a certain anonymity encourages those. It is indeed a problem, but even the civil tone of discussion (I confess to not being innocent) is endangered by the fact that we are not facing each other. I find the points you make are very valuable and should be taken to heart by all engaged in discussion
Yes, I agree that anonymity and the lack of face-to-face contact tends to create many problems. A forum like this also deals with the difficulty of wide cultural and religious divergence, not to mention different schools of philosophy.

The other thing, which I did not mention in the OP, is the matter of "ad hominem" certitude. There is a subtle sense in which the ad hominem mentality is correct, insofar as we really ought to alter our certitude and the way we receive arguments depending on who we are talking to. If I am speaking with someone I know to be a solid philosopher then I should reduce my own certitude and be more receptive to her words, and more willing to read deep into the arguments and give them the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, if I am speaking with someone I know to be unintelligent, then the opposite will hold true. The same could be said with regard to experts and non-experts in some field of knowledge. Although this isn't politically correct, it is true, and I have found it to be essential in navigating the internet where one might encounter a hundred different individuals in a single day.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

Leontiskos wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:33 pm I agree that there will be a collective benefit when the society is able to recognize and integrate wisdom. This is not always the case, especially in the short term, as can be seen in Socrates' execution. Yet on a micro scale I think the ebb and flow is correct. If one's certitude is not ebbing and flowing they will not be engaged in true philosophical pursuits. And yes, the ebbing really is an experience of loss or reduction. When you realize that you do not know as much as you thought you did, and you respond by forfeiting your certitude, you have surely gone through an experience of loss. Being able and willing to experience this loss is extremely important.
Which would be another example of virtue, as you mentioned before.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm I think it is right to say that ideally philosophy should be a common pursuit, where the aim is truth rather than eristic.
Watching the way social media invades the public debate with controversy rather than the pursuit of truth, we are moving further away from our ability to engage in debate for the common good. Especially in debates about wealth in society for example, we can see that even if there is a clear problem to be solved, dogmatic positions are adopted rather than both sides accepting that a compromise is needed, because the truth of the matter runs through the middle of the debate. The pursuit of wisdom and ability to ascertain the intricacies of a situation is lost and may in the end lead to a Solomonic verdict, just to force the hand of one side.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm I also find one-on-one conversations to be the most fruitful. Are you saying that you most prefer in-person discussion, or that you simply prefer formats where continuous conversation is possible and there are not hours-long gaps between each communication?
I am in Germany and find that very often, even if a conversation starts in Europe, when Americans (or Australians for that matter) enter the discussion, much goes on before I am awake, and the flow of discussion depends a lot on the “opportune moment” in which to say something. Exchanges I have had with individuals have, regardless of where they are situated, been more fruitful for both sides. However, it is probably the same for Americans and Australians if a discussion breaks loose in Europe – which happens less often.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm The other thing, which I did not mention in the OP, is the matter of "ad hominem" certitude. There is a subtle sense in which the ad hominem mentality is correct, insofar as we really ought to alter our certitude and the way we receive arguments depending on who we are talking to. If I am speaking with someone I know to be a solid philosopher then I should reduce my own certitude and be more receptive to her words, and more willing to read deep into the arguments and give them the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, if I am speaking with someone I know to be unintelligent, then the opposite will hold true. The same could be said with regard to experts and non-experts in some field of knowledge. Although this isn't politically correct, it is true, and I have found it to be essential in navigating the internet where one might encounter a hundred different individuals in a single day.
Yes, you are right. Pointing out that someone hasn’t the ability to engage in the discussion whilst asserting unbending opinions is a problem, but here too, I think that midwifery can be helpful, but if not, it is down to pointing the lack of ability out, even if it is declared ad hominem.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm Thanks for your thoughts!
Thank you for engaging with me.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm It is reasonable to hold differing levels of certitude because the certitude of a conclusion ought to correspond to the evidence in favor of that conclusion, and not all conclusions are supported by the same level of evidence.
I would add to this that certainty varies subjectively also. There's liklihood and there's certainty. And I, at least, find that my feelings of certainty vary on many issues vary over time.
I generally agree with your post. However to be fussy here, I kind of like it when people are blunt about their position. I don't think they need to qualify their position (unless they want to of course) especially in the beginning of some kind of dialogue. I do think that over a longer dialogue there will be times when it is polite and also helpful to say they are being polemical or that they are not speaking about 100% certainty.

Why would I say this? If I go to a lecture on many subjects, I find it clearer and more interesting if the idea is presented as simply true. The outlines of the idea, I find are clearer. If someone is a Marxist talking about history, say, I learn more and understand them more clearly and in a sense get to ride along in their beliefs (try them on) if they don't qualify all the time. I get to get a clear sense of the Marxist view of X for that time. Then perhaps I attend another lecture by someone else or have a discussion with someone with another economic view and immerse myself in that. I can sort out nuance and eclectic positions for myself later. I realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea.

If one presents something that is not so certain as certain AND this leads to being dismissive, condescending, not fully responding to critique and other problematic dialogue patterns, well that's a problem. And I recognize there can be correlation between those who speak in absolute and/or certain terms and those habits. But it's those habits that I have a problem with.

For me, let them lay out their model and position blunt and clear. As if that's it for them, period. Then deal with people in polite and respectful ways in a following dialogue. Yes, concessions are lovely. I think that's where I like to see something else. If I or someone else raises a good point and the person cannot see a perfect or good counter, it is great if they can concede the point or say that they need to think about this, etc. Heck, I don't mind if they say 'I am still certain it is correct.' As long as they can admit that they are not sure in the moment why the criticism fails or they have no good answer to a question at that time.
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Moreno wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:01 am
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm It is reasonable to hold differing levels of certitude because the certitude of a conclusion ought to correspond to the evidence in favor of that conclusion, and not all conclusions are supported by the same level of evidence.
I would add to this that certainty varies subjectively also. There's liklihood and there's certainty. And I, at least, find that my feelings of certainty vary on many issues vary over time.
I agree. In fact certitude is an entirely subjective reality. There is no certitude apart from subjects, and each subject will have varying levels of certitude.
Moreno wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:01 am
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmWhen someone fails to hold differing levels of certitude and speaks apodictically at all times, their peers will tend to ignore them. This is because they are behaving in an irrational and socially ungraceful manner, and are not helpful to those who are seeking truth.
I generally agree with your post. However to be fussy here, I kind of like it when people are blunt about their position. I don't think they need to qualify their position (unless they want to of course) especially in the beginning of some kind of dialogue. I do think that over a longer dialogue there will be times when it is polite and also helpful to say they are being polemical or that they are not speaking about 100% certainty.

Why would I say this? If I go to a lecture on many subjects, I find it clearer and more interesting if the idea is presented as simply true. The outlines of the idea, I find are clearer. If someone is a Marxist talking about history, say, I learn more and understand them more clearly and in a sense get to ride along in their beliefs (try them on) if they don't qualify all the time. I get to get a clear sense of the Marxist view of X for that time. Then perhaps I attend another lecture by someone else or have a discussion with someone with another economic view and immerse myself in that. I can sort out nuance and eclectic positions for myself later. I realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea.
I agree entirely. Constant qualifications about the strength of one's claims are both distracting, and unhelpful in that they inhibit the listener from entering into the other's mind and argument. Note though that the person who does this is in fact failing to speak with varying levels of certitude. Their speech conveys an unvarying level of certitude (which is in fact minimal).

I was warning against the vice of speaking "apodictically at all times." Presenting one's ideas with clarity and confidence is important, and it is different from unchanging apoditicity.
Moreno wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:01 amIf one presents something that is not so certain as certain AND this leads to being dismissive, condescending, not fully responding to critique and other problematic dialogue patterns, well that's a problem. And I recognize there can be correlation between those who speak in absolute and/or certain terms and those habits. But it's those habits that I have a problem with.
I agree that those habits are problematic, but generally speaking I don't even require your "AND". Generally speaking, one should not present uncertain things as certain. I mean, perhaps in a lecture on abstruse theoretical possibilities one should, for the sake of argument, speak with "certitude." But I am hesitant to call this "certitude," for it seems to me more like clarity and concision of description. If a scientist is presenting a novel quantum theory he should describe the theory with clarity and confidence, but by this he need not convey that he believes his theory is certainly true.

Regarding your Marxist, if he is certain then let him present his ideas with certitude. Hopefully his certitude is well-founded and he has put in a great deal of work to arrive at it. If someone is apodictically certain about everything they say, then either they are omniscient or deeply confused.
Moreno wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:01 amFor me, let them lay out their model and position blunt and clear. As if that's it for them, period. Then deal with people in polite and respectful ways in a following dialogue. Yes, concessions are lovely. I think that's where I like to see something else. If I or someone else raises a good point and the person cannot see a perfect or good counter, it is great if they can concede the point or say that they need to think about this, etc. Heck, I don't mind if they say 'I am still certain it is correct.' As long as they can admit that they are not sure in the moment why the criticism fails or they have no good answer to a question at that time.
Thank you, these are good points. I think we are on the same page.

Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Stoppelmann wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:33 am
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm I think it is right to say that ideally philosophy should be a common pursuit, where the aim is truth rather than eristic.
Watching the way social media invades the public debate with controversy rather than the pursuit of truth, we are moving further away from our ability to engage in debate for the common good. Especially in debates about wealth in society for example, we can see that even if there is a clear problem to be solved, dogmatic positions are adopted rather than both sides accepting that a compromise is needed, because the truth of the matter runs through the middle of the debate. The pursuit of wisdom and ability to ascertain the intricacies of a situation is lost and may in the end lead to a Solomonic verdict, just to force the hand of one side.
I agree, and it seems that this is especially difficult for the younger generations who grew up in relative material ease, with fewer siblings. Compromises and limitations on one's will are unfamiliar to them. The technological mindset contributes as well, where technology seems to be making everything easier. That expectation of ease then unfortunately gets transferred into the political sphere, which is always a complex sphere. It is one place where dealing with humans and their complexities cannot be avoided.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmI also find one-on-one conversations to be the most fruitful. Are you saying that you most prefer in-person discussion, or that you simply prefer formats where continuous conversation is possible and there are not hours-long gaps between each communication?
I am in Germany and find that very often, even if a conversation starts in Europe, when Americans (or Australians for that matter) enter the discussion, much goes on before I am awake, and the flow of discussion depends a lot on the “opportune moment” in which to say something. Exchanges I have had with individuals have, regardless of where they are situated, been more fruitful for both sides. However, it is probably the same for Americans and Australians if a discussion breaks loose in Europe – which happens less often.
Oh, interesting! I guess in America I am not as familiar with the problem. I do find that this forum is more asynchronous than most, and when I found it I was looking for a place with longer posts, more forethought, and less catering to smartphones. But I can definitely see what you are saying.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pm The other thing, which I did not mention in the OP, is the matter of "ad hominem" certitude. There is a subtle sense in which the ad hominem mentality is correct, insofar as we really ought to alter our certitude and the way we receive arguments depending on who we are talking to. If I am speaking with someone I know to be a solid philosopher then I should reduce my own certitude and be more receptive to her words, and more willing to read deep into the arguments and give them the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, if I am speaking with someone I know to be unintelligent, then the opposite will hold true. The same could be said with regard to experts and non-experts in some field of knowledge. Although this isn't politically correct, it is true, and I have found it to be essential in navigating the internet where one might encounter a hundred different individuals in a single day.
Yes, you are right. Pointing out that someone hasn’t the ability to engage in the discussion whilst asserting unbending opinions is a problem, but here too, I think that midwifery can be helpful, but if not, it is down to pointing the lack of ability out, even if it is declared ad hominem.
Midwifery is definitely helpful. There were a few years when I felt I was improving at midwifery, but now with increasing time limitations I feel that I fail at it more often than not (and the time constraints exacerbate a lack of patience). Maybe some Plato is in order. :)

The other issue I have is that the midwife bears no children of her own, so to speak, and is apparently not challenged by equals. Too much midwifery leaves me pining for interlocutors who are capable of challenging me.

I am always on the lookout for in-person philosophy groups. They aren't so easy to find, but it can be great when you do find one.
Leontiskos wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:28 pmThanks for your thoughts!
Thank you for engaging with me.
You're welcome!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream