Have you ever felt that the universe conspires against you?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
JackDaydream

Re: Have you ever felt that the universe conspires against you?

Post by JackDaydream »

Sy Borg wrote: February 27th, 2023, 3:54 pm Those feelings are familiar. I am an arty outsider too. I remember that feeling of being an outsider in a work or training group, thinking everyone disliked me. However, whenever these things progress, I'd find people becoming friendlier. They just find you weird at first but, once they get to know you, they realise that you're okay. The big thing when doing these courses is keeping a strong focus on the end goal and how these processes can help bring you there. Your job in this course is to learn, so be a sponge. Focus hard on the material, and you will then find yourself coming into alignment with others in the course.

Trying to find work can be damnably frustrating and does nothing for one's sense of self-worth. I'm grateful to be retired. I don't know how I would function n a workplace today.

As I said, I'm not much good for advice because I am better at analysing life than doing it, which may be why I am here so often :) In hindsight, this has been the case right from day one. There was probably an ideal workplace niche for me, as they would be for you, but I never quite found it. I dreamed of retirement, when I could finally express myself creatively. I planned to make albums, write books and do cartoons. Trouble is, each of these fields has been superseded by multimedia and games. Everything I created was of zero interest. Irrelevant. Archaic. Further, the only way to get your work out there is via social networks, so if you're not very social, it doesn't matter how good or bad your art is, it won't be noticed.

We are just ageing anonymous little nobodies leading nobody lives because what we have to offer is no longer much in demand by the systems in which we live. There is a freedom in being an irrelevant wart on the bottom of an ever more disinterested society. It's not as though much is hinging on our actions. We can pretty well do what we feel like, and it won't make much difference to anything. Our contributions are not needed. The situations where we might be needed are either already under control, or fixing the problems does not suit powerful vested interests.

Your thoughts bring to mind Albert Camus's Myth of Sisyphusas he grappled with the problem of seeking meaning in an uncaring universe:
The Myth of Sisyphus is far from having a skeptical conclusion. In response to the lure of suicide, Camus counsels an intensely conscious and active non-resolution. Rejecting any hope of resolving the strain is also to reject despair. Indeed, it is possible, within and against these limits, to speak of happiness. “Happiness and the absurd are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable” (MS, 122). It is not that discovering the absurd leads necessarily to happiness, but rather that acknowledging the absurd means also accepting human frailty, an awareness of our limitations, and the fact that we cannot help wishing to go beyond what is possible. These are all tokens of being fully alive. “The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy”
It is sometimes hard to see the role of the 'creative outsider' without veering into romanticism or conspiracy theories. At times, I have read David Icke's writings which go off into the realms of conspiracy theories, including ideas of the Illuminati and many far out ideas of power and its abuse. The one issue which he does raise may be whether Pribcess Diana's death was a mere accident or something more..

But, beyond all the tangents of plots and political tangents, there is the everyday person as a rebel or outsider. It touches on so much of the ideas of the existentialist perspective, or in the words of the beat poet, Jack Kerouac,
'The only people for me are the mad ones; the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who burn, burn, burn like yellow candles.'
In this respect, a key aspect may be about being our saviours rather than squatted and devoured like flies, and the ongoing quest of the rebel, outsider and the stand of the oppressed. The Existentialists looked at this and the challenge may be living with the quest for authenticity and freedom amidst the social and political restraints, which can be harsh, especially for those 'on the edge' in society and in which may be seen as the domain of bohemian thinking or the trash can of culture, according to biases and allegiances of values. The current time may not be the epoch of the artists or philosophers.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Have you ever felt that the universe conspires against you?

Post by Sy Borg »

JackDaydream wrote: February 27th, 2023, 4:24 pmThe Existentialists looked at this and the challenge may be living with the quest for authenticity and freedom amidst the social and political restraints, which can be harsh, especially for those 'on the edge' in society and in which may be seen as the domain of bohemian thinking or the trash can of culture, according to biases and allegiances of values. The current time may not be the epoch of the artists or philosophers.
This rings true to me. This is the epoch of celebrity and technology. Neo modernism.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream