Why Did Life and the Processes of Evolution Occur?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Why Did Life and the Processes of Evolution Occur?

Post by Sy Borg »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 19th, 2023, 1:30 pmAgain, incompleteness of the fossil record is not a hole in the theory of evolution. Since fossilisation is rare, missing links are normal and expected. The details of the picture are not perfectly clear, but what the whole image shows is indisputable, specially when considering not only the fossil evidence, but modern genetics as well. There's little doubt that we are related to other primates and we have common ancestors.
Nicely put.

The only issues I have with evolution are a couple of concepts. first, I don't care for the Gouldian "evolution is not a tree but a bush". If that was true, the events of the last billion years would have played out very differently IMO. The progression has happened, despite occasional examples of species losing previously evolved features when they are no longer needed. The general trend has well and truly been established.

Further, I think the hard division between "life" and "not life" is less ontic than influenced by the biological reality of death. That is, there is a hard line between life and death for us humans, so we assume it to be universal. This hard division between chemistry and biology was not always the case, in much the same way as the hard division we see today between humans and other animals was not the case for early Homo sapiens.

To that end, consider LUCA. When LUCA first developed the qualities that would qualify it as "life", the difference between it and its closest biochemical peers would have been slight.

No doubt, the capacity for entities that qualify as biology to actively sustain themselves and sustainably reproduce is technically a "hard emergence". Yet, when LUCA emerged, there would have been a number of complex biochemical processes that were very close to qualifying as life, eg. cells with a basic metabolism and RNA that split via mitosis, but the daughter cells were not viable. Such complex "near-life" structures may not be possible today; perhaps being consumed before they could complexify in the current hyper-competitive biological milieu.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 20th, 2023, 8:20 am
Count Lucanor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 12:26 am Science provides a high degree of certainty...
That's the thing I'm trying to get at, when I mention the misuse or redefinition of words. A "degree of certainty" is a literal oxymoron, a contradiction in terms. Certainty is the end-point, not a point/position on the way to it. All points on the way to the end-point are uncertain. How could it be otherwise?
For a moment, I thought my limited English skills had failed me again. So I had to look it up, but that meant bad news for your argument that "degree of certainty is a literal oxymoron, a contradiction in terms":

How to express levels of certainty
You can use different levels of certainty to indicate your level of confidence in the strength of your claim and that of others.

To decide on your level of certainty, ask yourself these three questions:

How certain am I of my claim?
How narrowly or broadly do I want my claim to apply?
What hedging words do I use?
You can imagine these levels of certainty as a ‘certainty barometer’, ranging from low to moderate to high (Lingard, 2020, p. 108):

Rhetorical Functions in Academic Speaking: Expressing degrees of certainty
It is important when you are speaking to show how sure you are about something. In other words, you need to show the degree of certainty.

Expressing Degrees of Certainty: Present Time
Expressing Degrees of certainty refers to how sure we are. What we think the chances are that something is true. If we are sure something is true in the present, we don’t need to use a modal. For example, if I say, ‘John is sick.’ I am sure; I am stating a fact that I am sure is true. My degree of certainty is 100%.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Gertie wrote: March 18th, 2023, 2:01 pm
Can you give me links or examples and explain how that could be? Because it doesn't make sense to me that something emerges from more fundamental parts but isn't ontologicalically reducible ('reverse engineerable') to what it emerges from.

I know Searle claims experience is causally reducible but not ontologically reducible to brain processes - again I don't get it, how can this make sense?
If something is emergent, as a whole it is more than the sum of its parts, it's more than just composed of them, therefore not reducible to them, which is not to say that we cannot identify the parts. Emergentism is about what arises out of complexity, reductionism is a process of reversing what is merely composed with very low level of complexity.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:22 am
Can you give me links or examples and explain how that could be? Because it doesn't make sense to me that something emerges from more fundamental parts but isn't ontologicalically reducible ('reverse engineerable') to what it emerges from.

I know Searle claims experience is causally reducible but not ontologically reducible to brain processes - again I don't get it, how can this make sense?
If something is emergent, as a whole it is more than the sum of its parts, it's more than just composed of them, therefore not reducible to them, which is not to say that we cannot identify the parts. Emergentism is about what arises out of complexity, reductionism is a process of reversing what is merely composed with very low level of complexity.
Right,  novel properties emerge from complex interactions  of parts which don't themselves have those properties.   

For physicalism the ontological fundamental existents include forces which 'act on' or otherwise explain the interactions of material parts, which result in the novel properties.  So what emerges that way imo  must be in principle similarly ontologically reducible to fundamental forces acting on fundamental matter.   Physicalism says that's all there is. Whether it's heat applied to H2O molecules to form a gas, or human neural interactions resulting in conscious experience.

So imo physicalist emergence which isn't ultimately  ontologically reducible to fundamental forces acting on fundamental stuff is incoherent. Or am I missing something? 
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 12:26 am Science provides a high degree of certainty...
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 20th, 2023, 8:20 am That's the thing I'm trying to get at, when I mention the misuse or redefinition of words. A "degree of certainty" is a literal oxymoron, a contradiction in terms. Certainty is the end-point, not a point/position on the way to it. All points on the way to the end-point are uncertain. How could it be otherwise?
Count Lucanor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:38 pm For a moment, I thought my limited English skills had failed me again. So I had to look it up, but that meant bad news for your argument that "degree of certainty is a literal oxymoron, a contradiction in terms":

Nice quotes. But they also say this (taken from your 1st link):
monash.edu wrote: In academic communication, writers rarely express their claims with absolute certainty. In order to indicate that an issue has more than one answer or interpretation, you need to use cautious or tentative language. We call this ‘expressing uncertainty’.

When you express uncertainty through cautious or tentative language, you as a writer demonstrate that you are aware of the range of possible interpretations. You also demonstrate your critical thinking skills by recognising that information is debatable and open to further questioning.

Cautious language used to ‘soften’ your claims is known as hedging. You can employ hedging to indicate the level of certainty you want to express, and make your statements sound well-reasoned.
If you look carefully, you (i.e. 'one') can find apparent support easily, just as you did, and as I just did too.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:22 am If something is emergent, as a whole it is more than the sum of its parts, it's more than just composed of them, therefore not reducible to them...
A whole is often more than "the sum of its parts" because a network is more than a 'bagful' of nodes. A network comprises nodes and connections. Both are necessary, and the network cannot survive without either one. Emergentism arises out of the network, a consequence of its connections and its nodes, taken together, as a whole.

Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:22 am ...reductionism is a process of reversing what is merely composed with very low level of complexity.
Reductionism is a process of tearing indivisible wholes apart, into smaller 'parts' that are easier — for humans! — to understand in isolation. This plainly wrong and undesirable process is unavoidable for humans, because our minds simply cannot 'digest' the entire universe in one gulp. Our convenience and need is the only justification for this otherwise unjustifiable practice.

Wholes are rarely, if ever, "merely composed".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Gertie wrote: March 21st, 2023, 4:44 am

Right,  novel properties emerge from complex interactions  of parts which don't themselves have those properties.   

For physicalism the ontological fundamental existents include forces which 'act on' or otherwise explain the interactions of material parts, which result in the novel properties.  So what emerges that way imo  must be in principle similarly ontologically reducible to fundamental forces acting on fundamental matter.   Physicalism says that's all there is. Whether it's heat applied to H2O molecules to form a gas, or human neural interactions resulting in conscious experience.

So imo physicalist emergence which isn't ultimately  ontologically reducible to fundamental forces acting on fundamental stuff is incoherent. Or am I missing something? 
As I understand it, it is precisely the non-reducibility what makes it emergent. As I said before, being able to identify the parts and acknowledging that there's dependency of the parts in the emergence of the whole, is not the same as reducing the whole to its parts. As Pattern-Chaser explained, it "arises out of the network, a consequence of its connections and its nodes". Reduction implies dismissing the connections in favor of the nodes.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:25 am
Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:22 am If something is emergent, as a whole it is more than the sum of its parts, it's more than just composed of them, therefore not reducible to them...
A whole is often more than "the sum of its parts" because a network is more than a 'bagful' of nodes. A network comprises nodes and connections. Both are necessary, and the network cannot survive without either one. Emergentism arises out of the network, a consequence of its connections and its nodes, taken together, as a whole.

Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:22 am ...reductionism is a process of reversing what is merely composed with very low level of complexity.
Reductionism is a process of tearing indivisible wholes apart, into smaller 'parts' that are easier — for humans! — to understand in isolation. This plainly wrong and undesirable process is unavoidable for humans, because our minds simply cannot 'digest' the entire universe in one gulp. Our convenience and need is the only justification for this otherwise unjustifiable practice.
I tend to agree with this.
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:25 am Wholes are rarely, if ever, "merely composed".
That's why reductionism is often a failure.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:13 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 20th, 2023, 8:20 am That's the thing I'm trying to get at, when I mention the misuse or redefinition of words. A "degree of certainty" is a literal oxymoron, a contradiction in terms. Certainty is the end-point, not a point/position on the way to it. All points on the way to the end-point are uncertain. How could it be otherwise?
Count Lucanor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:38 pm For a moment, I thought my limited English skills had failed me again. So I had to look it up, but that meant bad news for your argument that "degree of certainty is a literal oxymoron, a contradiction in terms":

Nice quotes. But they also say this (taken from your 1st link):
monash.edu wrote: In academic communication, writers rarely express their claims with absolute certainty. In order to indicate that an issue has more than one answer or interpretation, you need to use cautious or tentative language. We call this ‘expressing uncertainty’.

When you express uncertainty through cautious or tentative language, you as a writer demonstrate that you are aware of the range of possible interpretations. You also demonstrate your critical thinking skills by recognising that information is debatable and open to further questioning.

Cautious language used to ‘soften’ your claims is known as hedging. You can employ hedging to indicate the level of certainty you want to express, and make your statements sound well-reasoned.
If you look carefully, you (i.e. 'one') can find apparent support easily, just as you did, and as I just did too.
I did look carefully and I did find support for my statement. You did not, as your claim that the expression "degrees of certainty" is an oxymoron, a contradiction, and therefore an invalid expression, turned out to be false: the expression is perfectly valid. The existence of degrees of uncertainty does not cancel degrees of certainty, just as the level of emptyness of a glass does not contradict its level of fullness, they are just complementary concepts.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Agent Smyth

Post by Agent Smyth »

Ask yerself

1. What is life?

2. Why is 1 a really unlucky number?

3. ? Left to the reader as an exercise.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Agent Smyth wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 3:34 am Ask yerself

1. What is life?

The question of what life is tricky because we come from the perspective of human life and its meaning. We have no idea what it may be like to be a dog, butterfly, a snake or a plant so our perspective is human centred. It even goes back to life in the womb, although this probably relates to emergence from the process of initial conception to maturity. The same applies at death as it is unknown at what point all consciousness fades, and that is of course making the assumption that it does. Brain death may be significant for thought but life and consciousness may not be entirely reduced to the brain, but distributed to other centres, such as the heart as a source of emotion.

I am not aware of number 1 being unlucky, but there may be different associations. For example, I have always seen number 13 or 6 as being considered unlucky, and this may be due to superstitions. However, numbers have often been taken seriously because they may represent patterns in nature and life itself, such as the divisions in the months and the zodiac as well as 7 days in a week. These categories seem to be fairly universal rather than arbitrary.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:19 pm

As I understand it, it is precisely the non-reducibility what makes it emergent. As I said before, being able to identify the parts and acknowledging that there's dependency of the parts in the emergence of the whole, is not the same as reducing the whole to its parts. As Pattern-Chaser explained, it "arises out of the network, a consequence of its connections and its nodes". Reduction implies dismissing the connections in favor of the nodes.
But not if you include the forces which govern the connectivity of the nodes as fundamental (ontologically irreducible), as well as the matter/nodes themselves. Which physicalism does. Ontological reduction reduces to what is fundamental, and physicalism says both matter and natural forces are fundamental, right?

If I've got that right, Physicalism would have to say, I think, that 'connectivity and nodes' is just an abstract way of talking about ontological forces 'acting on' matter.

Without the fundamental forces resulting in the interactions of matter, presumably there would just exist static fundamental particles, no novel properties could arise, no emergence could happen. Whether it's water becoming a gas, or phenomenal experience arising from brain processes. So forces can't be excluded from ontological reduction or emergence, they're integral.

And hence I'm thinking there's no real weak/strong emergence distinction as such. It's just that usually physical interactions and new properties in nature can be understood as ontologically reducible, at least in principle. But notably not when it comes to emergent consciousness - hence the place-holder explanation of 'strong' emergence.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Gertie wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:45 pm
Count Lucanor wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:19 pm

But not if you include the forces which govern the connectivity of the nodes as fundamental (ontologically irreducible), as well as the matter/nodes themselves. Which physicalism does. Ontological reduction reduces to what is fundamental, and physicalism says both matter and natural forces are fundamental, right?

If I've got that right, Physicalism would have to say, I think, that 'connectivity and nodes' is just an abstract way of talking about ontological forces 'acting on' matter.

Without the fundamental forces resulting in the interactions of matter, presumably there would just exist static fundamental particles, no novel properties could arise, no emergence could happen. Whether it's water becoming a gas, or phenomenal experience arising from brain processes. So forces can't be excluded from ontological reduction or emergence, they're integral.

And hence I'm thinking there's no real weak/strong emergence distinction as such. It's just that usually physical interactions and new properties in nature can be understood as ontologically reducible, at least in principle. But notably not when it comes to emergent consciousness - hence the place-holder explanation of 'strong' emergence.
I'm not sure what your point is in relation to physicalism, reductionism and emergentism. If it is that physicalism allows for the reducibility of nature to fundamental elements, and that therefore for emergentism to be consistent with materialism necessarily implies reductionism to those fundamental elements, I disagree. Paraphrasing myself: ultimately, what physicalism entails is what constitutes the domain of the real: only the physical. To say that this is compatible with emergentism is not to say that the domain of the physical is only constituted by non-reducible entities, processes and relations. The complexity of the universe implies several layers of interactions between its elements, each one being understood as a local, particular domain on its own, and many of those will be reducible to other elements (chemical laws to fundamental laws of physics, for example), but not all of them in every level. And as a whole, considering the entire system of nature, comprised of many other systems, it is not reducible to the sum of those systems put side by side, but still constituted by the dynamic relations between all those systems. From a materialist point of view, consciousness belongs to a domain within biological systems, intertwined with other domains and material systems, so that given the appropriate combination of circumstances, it emerges from them. Laws of physics, chemistry, causal regularities, as well as contingency of open systems, are constitutive elements in that equation, at both complex and fundamental levels, which of course include the mechanical interactions and linear causal processes that operate in those levels, but that does not imply that consciousness is reducible, in other words, "is nothing more than" those basic interactions. Yes, it is physics, but it is more than physics. It is chemistry, but it is more than chemistry. It is biology, but is more than biology.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Agent Smyth

Post by Agent Smyth »

JackDaydream wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:13 pm
Agent Smyth wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 3:34 am Ask yerself

1. What is life?

The question of what life is tricky because we come from the perspective of human life and its meaning. We have no idea what it may be like to be a dog, butterfly, a snake or a plant so our perspective is human centred. It even goes back to life in the womb, although this probably relates to emergence from the process of initial conception to maturity. The same applies at death as it is unknown at what point all consciousness fades, and that is of course making the assumption that it does. Brain death may be significant for thought but life and consciousness may not be entirely reduced to the brain, but distributed to other centres, such as the heart as a source of emotion.

I am not aware of number 1 being unlucky, but there may be different associations. For example, I have always seen number 13 or 6 as being considered unlucky, and this may be due to superstitions. However, numbers have often been taken seriously because they may represent patterns in nature and life itself, such as the divisions in the months and the zodiac as well as 7 days in a week. These categories seem to be fairly universal rather than arbitrary.
I'm with you in re life being hard/impossible (?) to define. I suppose it boils down to what a drosophilia does and what a pebble on the shores of lake Huron doesn't.

As for the number 1, you seem to have grasped its significance.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream