How could there be options in a deterministic world?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Bahman

Re: How could there be options in a deterministic world?

Post by Bahman »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:37 am
Bahman wrote: March 21st, 2023, 2:27 pm Here we assume determinism for the sake of discussion. Science tells us that this is true...
Science tells us that the world is deterministic? 🤔🤔🤔
Yes, to a very large extent.
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

Bahman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:58 am The heart of my argument is the coincidence of subjective experience of options and the pause in our physical and mental activity. I am arguing that this coincidence can not be due to chance so we can trust the subjective experience and be sure about the existence of options.
Each neuron keeps firing, so you say. Then, there is no pause. Your logic falls apart. The appearance of a delay is because information can't travel faster than light. My PS4 lags when I play GTA Online. Maybe my PS4 has free will.
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Carter Blunt wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:58 pm
Bahman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:58 am The heart of my argument is the coincidence of subjective experience of options and the pause in our physical and mental activity. I am arguing that this coincidence can not be due to chance so we can trust the subjective experience and be sure about the existence of options.
Each neuron keeps firing, so you say. Then, there is no pause. Your logic falls apart. The appearance of a delay is because information can't travel faster than light. My PS4 lags when I play GTA Online. Maybe my PS4 has free will.
There is a difference between the state of the brain and the state of each neuron.
JohniJones
New Trial Member

Post by JohniJones »

Kant and Wittgenstein, the biggest philosophers of western philosophy, argued against the very possibility of determinism:
In order for the world to be deterministic there must be an independent world of enduring objects that can support and present it.
How are such objects, whether physical or not, even possible?
It is not possible.
Do objects announce their own physical boundaries, do they establish their own limits, boundaries and existence?
Of course, we would have to say no.
How then, can we argue even for the possibility of a deterministic world?
Agent Smyth

Post by Agent Smyth »

The funeral ceremony, the burial actually, was underway. It was rainin' and windy - the mourners, all in black, were pullin' on their coats to stay as warm as possible.

"So young, 24 you say?" asked Daniel. "Yep, 24, poor chap. He was engaged to this charming young lass. What a tragedy!" replied Fred. "How did he die? Cancer?" Daniel pressed on. "No, no, he was in good health. It was a trip to Alaska" Fred responded. "Why, what do you mean?" queried Daniel, inquistive as ever. "Well, it's quite a story really. He apparently mistook a bear for a dog! Gruesome wat to die, eh?" Daniel nodded in agreement as he tried to work out how a 24 year old could make such a stupid mistake.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:46 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:00 am The lecturer informed me that a computer cannot generate a real random number and has to use a list of numbers which the RND() string selects.
What your lecturer told you was ... incomplete. Trying to get a computer to generate random numbers is difficult and challenging. There are quite a few ways to approximate randomness, and one or two that might allow the computer to 'consult' an external source of randomness, such as the famous array of lava lamps. In most cases, computers use pseudo-random sequences, not truly random ones, and yes, if restarted at the same point, they will always deliver the same answer(s).

It is well-known, in programming circles, that library functions like "RND()" are poor approximations to randomness, but they are adequate for most applications, strangely enough. Especially when they are adapted to suit a particular need, such as seeding the sequence as you describe.
What my lecturer told me was complete at the time for programming the Maximop Computer and the Commodore PETs we were using at the time.
There was not the resources to hook up a string of lava lamps!!
In practice all you had to do was ask the operator for to interrupt from long count in an infinite loop. The for/next would give a seed number for the RND function.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Bahman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:03 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 21st, 2023, 7:35 pm
Bahman wrote: March 20th, 2023, 12:37 pm To understand the implication of the question we need to understand what determinism is. Determinism is a doctrine that states that the future state of a system is uniquely determined in terms of the current state of the system. This means that there exists only one option, the future state, at any given time. We however without any doubt say that we experience options in our daily life. We pause and think about options and eventually choose one of them. The very existence of the pause means that the brain is also interrupted as well with the situation so one cannot say, as determinists say, that only one of the options is real. So options are real since otherwise, the state of the brain evolves deterministically without any pause one option is chosen and others are disregarded. Now that we established options are real we face the question of "How could there be options in a deterministic world?".
Easy.
How on earth can you make a choice freely?? Based on what exactly?
That is off-topic but I answer it. I choose freely by my mind. I believe in a new version of substance dualism.
No it is exactly on topic, and your answer reveals that you have not thought through why it might be the case.
You cannot "chose freely" since all your answers have to be determined by your current state of being.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

value wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:18 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:00 am
Good_Egg wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:05 am Way back when, I wrote small computer programs to do calculations.

Rerunning the same program would always give the same answer - the computer operates deterministically. But there was a noticable time lag while it went through the process of calculation.

To me, knowing that it would generate the same answer as last time, the pause before the answer came up on the screen might have seemed unnecessary. But the computer has no knowledge of what last time's answer was. Determinism gives it no short-cut to the answer; it grinds through the same number manipulations every time.

So the argument from the fact of a pause to indeterminacy is false.

(Modern computers are arguably less predictable, because they're running umpteen other processes in the background...)
This is a good point.
When I learned programming I was horrified to find out that even a random number generator gave the same number each time I re-ran the programme.
For example a program whose job it was to roll a dice would alway come up with the same sequence,1,2,4,3,3,5,3,6,2,4,2....repeated on RUN.
The lecturer informed me that a computer cannot generate a real random number and has to use a list of numbers which the RND() string selects.
To invoke unpredictability I learned was that if you seeded the RND function with a time signature, then it would always select from a different part of the list each time you "throw to dice" RND(6)+1. This would always achieve a different sequence. But you have to ask your self - is ANYTHING truly random. Surely when you throw a dice the laws of physics determine the trajectory, vector, bounce, rotation, so that when it leaves your hand the result of a fait accompli.
And when you make a choice, your motivation and volition at that moment determine the outcome?
So is not the will compatible with determination, and determinism?
A computer is not the one that chooses to run a computation. The computer is merely a tool in the hands of a human (an extension). The choice to run a computation is done in the face of an unknown future and therefore involves a moral valuation of which it cannot be said that it was predetermined.

Therefore a human pause - the 'moral consideration' that takes place before a choice - isn't similar to computer processing.
Why do you think this is an objection?
The fact that this shows is that in the real world events are determined by antecedent conditions. And there is no reason why the human body should be an exception to the laws of nature.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Bahman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 12:14 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:37 am
Bahman wrote: March 21st, 2023, 2:27 pm Here we assume determinism for the sake of discussion. Science tells us that this is true...
Science tells us that the world is deterministic? 🤔🤔🤔
Yes, to a very large extent.
No, you do not get to pick and chose which bits you want nature to act.
Either reality is deterministic or it is not, you do not get to decide that you are an exception.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Bahman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:58 am
Gertie wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:44 am
Bahman wrote: March 20th, 2023, 12:37 pm To understand the implication of the question we need to understand what determinism is. Determinism is a doctrine that states that the future state of a system is uniquely determined in terms of the current state of the system. This means that there exists only one option, the future state, at any given time. We however without any doubt say that we experience options in our daily life. We pause and think about options and eventually choose one of them. The very existence of the pause means that the brain is also interrupted as well with the situation so one cannot say, as determinists say, that only one of the options is real. So options are real since otherwise, the state of the brain evolves deterministically without any pause one option is chosen and others are disregarded. Now that we established options are real we face the question of "How could there be options in a deterministic world?".
To understand the issue, first you have to consider what it is that people think makes the universe deterministic.   Whether that is correct or not, and whether there can be exceptions.

Many assume the universe is deterministic because we see predictable patterns, which Physicalism has modelled as laws, or forces, acting on matter. QM introduces an underlying probabilistic element, but that isn't really what we mean by options, choices, or mentally willing our behaviour in contrast to  physicalist determinism.

In your post you point to pausing for thought, mentally weighing options and making choices based on mind somehow intervening in these physical processes when it comes to brains.

As far as we know, there are no physical brain processes which are in principle not following physicalist deterministic laws in response to physical stimuli.  The pause then could reflect the complex physical brain processes taking time, or perhaps never, hitting the threshold to instigate motor neuron behaviour.

But - we don't understand the relationship between mind and body.  And we can just as easily point to the evolutionary utlitity of being able to mentally reason through decisions, weigh options, imagine the consequences of different decisions, etc. Not to mention the obvious evolutionary  utility of  feeling hunger, satiety, lust, care, comfort, pain, memory, etc. There's an obvious functional (evolutionary) account of the role of our mental states which makes sense of our behaviour too.  And creates room for options which at least escape physicalist determinism, but perhaps raises an issue of psychological determinism - my psychology is such that it is inevitable I will make specific choices, that I will prioritise this over that option, just like I will remove my hand from a burning fire. (Some see a 'compatabilistic' approach to options making sense here). Never-the-less, this raises the possibility we can in effect mentally intervene in the physical brain processes, mind over matter.  And if mental experience is simply causally redundant epiphenomenal baggage, why does it look so well attuned to utility...

These two explanatory accounts, the mental and physical, run in parallel.  And as far as we can tell are closely related through our observations of neural correlation.  Raising  the additional problem of over-determinism.  

Without understanding the mind-body relationship, which we don't, the question and apparent paradoxes remain unanswerable.
The mind becomes important when it comes to making a decision when there is a conflict of interest in options. That is an interesting but different problem. My point however is how options could possibly be real in a deterministic world. I have an argument for the realness of options though. The heart of my argument is the coincidence of subjective experience of options and the pause in our physical and mental activity. I am arguing that this coincidence can not be due to chance so we can trust the subjective experience and be sure about the existence of options.
In the context I gave I don't think noting one type of correlation is enough to draw conclusions from. And Libet and subsequent similar experiments offer a different perspective on a 'readiness potential' pause you might want to check out. I also disagree that there's a pause in physical brain activity or mental activity when we consider options - did you really mean to say that?

But anyway I gave an alternative possibility to that point within my post -
As far as we know, there are no physical brain processes which are in principle not following physicalist deterministic laws in response to physical stimuli. The pause then could reflect the complex physical brain processes taking time, or perhaps never, hitting the threshold to instigate motor neuron behaviour.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:40 am
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:02 am

A couple of things.

First, common spoken language (words like choose, select, opt and options) reflect Free Will because the entirety of human experience is consistent with there being Free Will. Whereas none of human experience is consistent with a Deterministic universe as far as animal decision making is concerned. Determinism (as pertains to decision making) exists exclusively in the minds of philosophers who believe in it. Having said that, it is true that decision making could be determined, that is it has NOT been disproven.

Thus there is a fundamental difference between a universe where you ponder where to have lunch and you truly select to eat at McDonald's instead of Pizza Hut (that is, either was possible) and a universe where given your memories of your past experiences, your state of mind and the status of a myriad of other variables you will ALWAYS select McDonalds even though you may consider Pizza Hut.
Is there really a "fundamental difference" (from our point of view)? Is fate vs. free will a philosophical problem, or a lingusitic puzzle?

Of course there are reasons for choices. Does that mean they are not freely made?

The card player thinks there is a 1/13 chance of drawing an ace off the top of the deck. But, of course, he is wrong. Either there is an ace on the top, or their isn't. Anyone who can see the other side of the card knows there is either a 100% or 0% chance of drawing an ace. It's already been determined, after the shuffle. But are the card players calculations incorrect? I'd suggest they are not. He is calculating properly from his point of view.

The same is the case with free will. If our choice is "free" (unconstrained by other people), it's perfectly reasonable to talk about free will. It's coherent and meaningful. Why is the concept of free will negated just because we make choices for a reason?

My point is this: I don't think determinism and free will are contradictory or mutually exclusive.
You are correct that from the POV of the subject (prospectively) there is no difference currently between Free Will and Determinism, that is both appear as Free Will to our ability to perceive it.

Thus Determinism as you supposed only exists in the mind of philosophers.

As to playing cards, there is a 1/13 chance of an ace being on the top (jokers excluded), but there is either a 100% or 0% CERTAINTY that it is an ace. Those two declarations address separate things.

I don't personally subscribe to your (apparent) definition of Free Will, which sounds to my ears like "random", that is: uninflenced. My definition is: antecedant state A does NOT always lead to resultant state B, sometimes it is C.
"As usual... it depends."
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:34 pm

You are correct that from the POV of the subject (prospectively) there is no difference currently between Free Will and Determinism, that is both appear as Free Will to our ability to perceive it.

As to playing cards, there is a 1/13 chance of an ace being on the top (jokers excluded), but there is either a 100% or 0% CERTAINTY that it is an ace. Those two declarations address separate things.

I don't personally subscribe to your (apparent) definition of Free Will, which sounds to my ears like "random", that is: uninflenced. My definition is: antecedant state A does NOT always lead to resultant state B, sometimes it is C.
The problem is that if antecedant state A unknown, or unknowable (as in the case of the deck of cards), the convenient fiction of free will is reasonable and meaningful. I suppose it is likely that if we knew (or even could know) everything, the world (like the deck of cards) would be deterministic. Since we can't know everything the world is not deterministic, from our point of view. And what other point of view is there? God's?

As Tennyson observed:
Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower–but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.
Since we can't understand the flower root and all, we don't know what God and man is (also, it doesn't rhyme). If we could understand, the world would propably be deterministic. But we can't.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Ecurb wrote: March 21st, 2023, 7:08 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 21st, 2023, 5:39 pm
Bahman wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:30 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 20th, 2023, 6:46 pm
I converse with Determinists routinely and they typically say that the appearance of options is an illusion, thus the actual outcome is the only possible outcome thus it is not an "option", it was predetermined.
But how could that be true? There are two things when we are dealing with options, the subjective experience of options and the interruption in our activity where the latter is due to the fact that the brain is in an undecided state. First, these two things cannot coincide by chance. Second, if one of the options is predetermined then why does the person who is dealing with options pause at all?
OK, let's make sure we're speaking of the same things. The fact that animals pause and go through the process of decision making does NOT prove that there are legitimate options. It is possible that the process of "decision making" will 100% of the time lead to a pre determined outcome, given the pre conditions. Of course there is absolutely no subjective or objective experience consistent with this scenario, but it is technically possible.
"I opted to have lunch at McDonalds yesterday."

I cannot, of course, opt otherwise at this stage of the game. Nonetheless, the sentence is coherent, descriptive, and meaningful. If we can "choose" in the past tense, surely we can choose in the present tense. "Options" is a meaningful word whether or not they are determined.
The issue of free choice is central to the issue of free will vs determinism but the nature of options are variable according to past causal processes, with some having more available options than others. These include social aspects of freedom including financial resources and past actions. For example, a person who has wealth may have more practical possible options than someone who doesn't and someone who has the education and certain experiences may have more options than someone who is in a lower position. Also, people may have more options than someone at a later stage because they are bound by circumstances from the past.

So, in that sense, your query about options is not about choice per se, but about the scope of freedom itself. The circumstances rather than simply intentional choice come into play. It may at times be like someone handing over all their money, but with a gun held to their head. The choice would have been made but it was about the constraints of circumstances, but with restricted options. In other words, options are not simply about intentionality but about options as the actual potential pathways of choice perceived to be potential pathways at any given point and given knowledge of these.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Extra:
I was really intending my reply to Bahman, but after reading later posts I accidentally sent it to Ecurb. So, I am not sure if it will appear incongruous in response to Ecurb's post. So, I apologise if my post has messed up the flow of conversation, because it was really meant as a different angle for thinking about Bahman's question.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 5:41 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:34 pm

The problem is that if antecedant state A unknown, or unknowable (as in the case of the deck of cards), the convenient fiction of free will is reasonable and meaningful. I suppose it is likely that if we knew (or even could know) everything, the world (like the deck of cards) would be deterministic. Since we can't know everything the world is not deterministic, from our point of view. And what other point of view is there? God's?

As Tennyson observed:
Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower–but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.
Since we can't understand the flower root and all, we don't know what God and man is (also, it doesn't rhyme). If we could understand, the world would propably be deterministic. But we can't.
To my mind you are conflating the appearance of the universe (to us humans) from how it operates. To me the universe would operate just fine in the absence of humans to observe it. Thus the deck of cards behaves like a deck of cards whether the faces are known, unknown or unknowable (an ace will show up 1/13 of the time, for example). Or to use your metaphor, flowers were flowers (and gods were gods) before there were people to observe them.

Ultimately it comes down to the question: is the process of human decision making physical? Can the psychologic be reduced to the neurologic?
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream