How could there be options in a deterministic world?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Bahman

Re: How could there be options in a deterministic world?

Post by Bahman »

JackDaydream wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:30 pm
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:20 pm
JackDaydream wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:47 am
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:23 am
Ok, let me ask you this question: Is a human brain a deterministic object?
I am not sure that your question makes sense, especially as you don't seem to see the connection between determinism and free will.
I am not interested in the connection between determinism and free will. I am wondering how all options could be real in a deterministic world considering the fact that only one state of affairs is permissible in the future given the current state of affairs.
JackDaydream wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:19 am The brain Is the wiring mechanism, and, on this basis, could be seen as an 'object' but it is all about processes and systems. There is the whole issue of physicalism and the question of free will, and determinism may be important in both areas of philosophy. But to view the brain as an object may to see it as detached from the imminent aspects of consciousness and the human experiences.
No, I consider consciousness when I argue about options being real. I argue that the experience of options coincides with a delay in our physical activity and this cannot be a matter of chance therefore options are real. Determinists in fact argue that only one of the options is real and the other are illusions even if our experience of options seems real.
I simply don't understand where you are coming from if you don't see any connection between the issue of determinism and free will. I simply don't understand how you approach philosophy or whether you have read any philosophy at all. As it is, your thread for last month and this month are the most popular. I would certainly not wish to undermine your contributions but I feel so despondent when the thread of this month on a philosophy site appears to see determinism and free will as not related. I am not wishing to dismiss your ideas and endeavours, because it is likely that people find your views as far more interesting than mine, But, I do think that you need to read a little in philosophy in order to see how the relationship between determinism has a relationship with the philosophical issues of free will.
Free will and determinism have been the subject of a long debate in the philosophy of mind. I am aware of that and I was not interested to open another thread on this topic and instead open another thread. To elaborate we have three things when it comes to a decision in a situation: 1) An agent who makes the decision in the situation, 2) the situation that is defined by at least two options, 3) the act of free decision by the agent which leads to choosing one of the options. Now there are two important questions: 1) How could a deterministic agent be free? and How could options be real in a deterministic world? As you noticed and as I mentioned I am not interested in the first question but the second one.

I hope that the things is clear now. By the way, I have a PhD in physics but left physics to study philosophy.
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:57 pm
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:42 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:58 am
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:48 am
As I said I am not discussing free will here. I am discussing the existence of options in a deterministic world.
This is a bit like saying I'm not discussing water, I am discussing seas, river, oceans, and stuff you drink.

So what do you think "free will" implies?
Free will is the ability of a free agent to unbiasedly (by unbiased I mean without any inclination) choose between two options.
1. You said you were not going to talk about free will.
2. You cannot make a choice without bias. Bias is the basis of your opinion. With no opinion there is only indecision.
My question is not how a person can choose one of the options but how options could be real in a deterministic world.
It's the same thing. Choices are always present moment by moment, and each moment determines the next pathway. As long as no one is pointing a gun at you, you are free to chose according to your self determination.
Thus in a deterministic world we can all freely make choices providing we have not collected too many obligations or we live in a society where others are free to determine and guide out actions.
If we are slaves, or enter into employment contracts we loose our freedom to determine our own pathways. Yet the choice remains. Get up put your socks on, go to work. Or not as we chose.
As I already said: "My question is not how a person can choose one of the options but how options could be real in a deterministic world.". I don't really know how to explain it more simpler than this for you.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Bahman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:02 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:58 am

This is a bit like saying I'm not discussing water, I am discussing seas, river, oceans, and stuff you drink.

So what do you think "free will" implies?
Free will is the ability of a free agent to unbiasedly (by unbiased I mean without any inclination) choose between two options.
2. You cannot make a choice without bias. Bias is the basis of your opinion. With no opinion there is only indecision.
My question is not how a person can choose one of the options but how options could be real in a deterministic world.
It's the same thing. Choices are always present moment by moment, and each moment determines the next pathway. As long as no one is pointing a gun at you, you are free to chose according to your self determination.
Thus in a deterministic world we can all freely make choices providing we have not collected too many obligations or we live in a society where others are free to determine and guide out actions.
If we are slaves, or enter into employment contracts we lose our freedom to determine our own pathways. Yet the choice remains. Get up put your socks on, go to work. Or not as we chose.
As I already said: "My question is not how a person can choose one of the options but how options could be real in a deterministic world.". I don't really know how to explain it more simpler than this for you.
It might help if your underlying assumptions did not lead you to this contradiction.
1) Do you think the world is deterministic?
2) Do choices exist?
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Gertie wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 2:26 pm
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:26 am
Gertie wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:08 pm
Bahman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:58 am
The mind becomes important when it comes to making a decision when there is a conflict of interest in options. That is an interesting but different problem. My point however is how options could possibly be real in a deterministic world. I have an argument for the realness of options though. The heart of my argument is the coincidence of subjective experience of options and the pause in our physical and mental activity. I am arguing that this coincidence can not be due to chance so we can trust the subjective experience and be sure about the existence of options.
In the context I gave I don't think noting one type of correlation is enough to draw conclusions from. And Libet and subsequent similar experiments offer a different perspective on a 'readiness potential' pause you might want to check out.
I am aware of Libet experiment. By pause I don't mean the readiness potential but the time between facing options and making a decision.
Gertie wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:44 am I also disagree that there's a pause in physical brain activity or mental activity when we consider options - did you really mean to say that?

But anyway I gave an alternative possibility to that point within my post -
As far as we know, there are no physical brain processes which are in principle not following physicalist deterministic laws in response to physical stimuli. The pause then could reflect the complex physical brain processes taking time, or perhaps never, hitting the threshold to instigate motor neuron behaviour.
My question is why the brain processes should take the time or perhaps never end if options are not real. Why do these two phenomena, the pause and the subjective experience of option coincide? It could not be a matter of chance.
I assume the pause you refer to is the pause in behaviour - I might stay sitting for a few seconds while I decide if I fancy a coffee or tea, before I go to the kitchen and make a cuppa? 
Yes, by pause I mean the delay between facing the options and choosing one of the options.
Gertie wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:08 pm If we assume neural correlation holds, then the time I mentally mull the options is mirrored by correlated neural activity.  Physicalist determinists would say the neural interactions make the 'decision', based perhaps on the strengths of previously established neural patterns of connections.  These neural interactions being re-sparked in slightly different circs take a bit of time before they in turn spark the motor neurons which get me to the kitchen. Libet (controversially) claims on top of that, there's a pause between the physical neural processes (in quick decisions at least) becoming conscious, the neurons have made the 'decision' before I'm consciously aware. But there was never really an option or decision, just neurons physically reacting to physical stimuli. The correlated conscious experience being useless epiphenomenal baggage.

The case of a complex choice which takes a long time is similar in principle I'd think.  Say I'm thinking of changing career because I don't like my job, but it has a lot of perks and I'm not sure I should. I might think over the pros and cons for weeks on and off.  That thinking over is similarly correlated to neural interactivity, which physicalist determinists say will make the actual 'decision'.  But it takes weeks for a pattern of neural activity to be strong enough to spark the motor neurons to tell my boss I resign.  Perhaps it took a final straw argument at work, or particularly bad day to strengthen the required neural connection to instigate the behaviour of resigning.  And again Libet-arians might say I don't consciously know I've told my boss until very shortly after I've done it.

So for physicalist determinists at least, the pause in the behaviour of enacting a choice which coincides with mentally considering options doesn't make the options real. I would always do the same thing, behave the same way, if the same physical stimuli caused the same physical neuronal activity.
Yes, that is what determinists say as I mentioned in OP.
Gertie wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 4:08 pm Of course physicalist determinists don't understand the mind-body relationship any better than anybody else, so they could be wrong.  And many physicalists believe they can mentally choose options and mentally will their actions. It certainly feels that way. They just don't know how that could work.  And neither do you when you claim options exist.
Well, that is one of the things that I am thinking of right now. I know our thought have contents and options sometimes are a part of the contents of our thoughts. I also know that thinking is pattern recognition but I don't know how we realize options in a thought.
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Ranvier wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 2:27 pm
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:40 pm
Ranvier wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:22 pm The "reality" is only deterministic in the sense that it "exists". To "exist" can be defined by the fact that anything that "exists" constantly changes. Therefore, change is part of the definition to "exist", where the change itself is a spontaneously emergent non-deterministic phenomenon of at least two possibilities.
Change can be two sorts, deterministic or non-deterministic. Our world is believed to be deterministic so the existence of options is like magic. What do you mean by non-deterministic?
How can change be "deterministic"? In order to change, there must be at least two possibilities: change & no change. From that point on, you have divergence of those two possibilities, which will very quickly "explode" in a chain reaction of divergence<>convergence between duality of "choice" (particle-wave).
I don't understand what you are talking about.
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Gj3030 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 2:51 pm There is no option in deterministic world. As majority of our action are pre designed based on past gathered information. Means our decisions are the outcome of prior experiences and information. Only option we have in deterministic world is to be more conscious and alert on data we accumulating through all the senses.
Other option is memory less observation. Which is practically impossible.
To sum up, as long as we have acquired functioning memory, options in deterministic world is an "illusion". Admissible to both mental and physical.
If the decision is predetermined then why there is this delay between experiencing options and making decisions that take a while, days, and even years?
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Ecurb wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:24 pm
Bahman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:31 am
Could you please provide a link to the post? You wrote several posts.
If I knew how to provide a link, i would.
It is simple. Click on the title on the top left part of the post. This provides you with a link on the link bar that you can post it anywhere you like.
Ecurb wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:24 pm However, here's what I wrote:
"I opted to have lunch at McDonalds yesterday."

I cannot, of course, opt otherwise at this stage of the game. Nonetheless, the sentence is coherent, descriptive, and meaningful. If we can "choose" in the past tense, surely we can choose in the present tense. "Options" is a meaningful word whether or not they are determined.
Ok, that means that you believe that options are real. Now could you answer the question in the title given the definition of determinism in OP?
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:06 am
If we are slaves, or enter into employment contracts we lose our freedom to determine our own pathways. Yet the choice remains. Get up put your socks on, go to work. Or not as we chose.
It might help if your underlying assumptions did not lead you to this contradiction.
2) Do choices exist?
Cool. Now you get my point. I am challenging determinism here so I assume that determinism and choices are both true and show that there is a contradiction! Of course, I have my argument for options to be real as it is illustrated in OP and as it is discussed in several posts in this thread.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Bahman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:40 am
Ranvier wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 2:27 pm How can change be "deterministic"? In order to change, there must be at least two possibilities: change & no change. From that point on, you have divergence of those two possibilities, which will very quickly "explode" in a chain reaction of divergence<>convergence between duality of "choice" (particle-wave).
I don't understand what you are talking about.
Ok. A mere fact of change presents two options: change and no-change. Nothing interesting happens when there is no change but once something changes, now there are two "real" options: go back to the original state (A) or remain in state of change (B). We can imagine a "reality" of oscillation between A<>B ad infinitum but that's not what we observe in our "reality" of multiple different states (interesting). So how did we get to this interesting "reality"? Logically B had to have another choice of becoming something different from mere change back to A, with yet another change into C. All these changes between A<>B<>C require some "time", which opens another dimension of possibility, where there is some probabilistic percentage (%) of A, B , C at any given time. Each state has then a choice of becoming a new "change" to D and so on. This becomes a chain reaction of exponential growth in choices, where we can't "determine" the actual state of "reality" but an imaginary snapshot image of this constant change at any given point in "time" to achieve an illusion of "deterministic" view of "existence". However, this illusionary view can't be "real" as "reality" constantly changes from all these relative probabilistic choices. We can use science and our knowledge to force a deterministic outcome of our choice but then what's "deterministic" about how we decide what we choose to imagine in "reality"?
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Bahman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:03 am
Ecurb wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:24 pm However, here's what I wrote:
"I opted to have lunch at McDonalds yesterday."

I cannot, of course, opt otherwise at this stage of the game. Nonetheless, the sentence is coherent, descriptive, and meaningful. If we can "choose" in the past tense, surely we can choose in the present tense. "Options" is a meaningful word whether or not they are determined.
Ok, that means that you believe that options are real. Now could you answer the question in the title given the definition of determinism in OP?
The OP poses a linguistic puzzle, not a philosophical problem. An option is "a thing that is or may be chosen." A "choice" is "an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities." '

What does "faced with" mean? It refers to the point of view of the chooser. When LeBron James became eligible for the NBA draft, it was a forgone conclusion that he would be "chosen" first. Does this mean that "choice" is an inappropriate word in this case? I don't think so. When one says, "I chose to go to the store yesterday" no other choice is possible (any more). So what? The word "choice" aptly describes the sense in which you decided to go to the store.

The fact that there are reasons for choosing as we do is irrelevant. So is the notion that our choices may be inevitable. The word describes our mental processes, not the state of the universe, or the knowledge of an omniscient God.
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:00 am
value wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:02 amAt question would be whether consciousness is reduce-able to a product of the human body.
But it is.
If it is, then where is the repeatable evidence?

(2019) Science as we know it can’t explain consciousness – but a philosophical revolution is coming
There is growing suspicion among scientists that conventional scientific methods will never be able to explain consciousness.
https://theconversation.com/science-as- ... ing-126143

Do you agree that if consciousness is to follow as a product of the physical brain that it should have a repeatable and observable nature?

Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:00 amHow do you think this relevant?
When a human makes a choice - 'has an option' - would the deterministic nature of that option rely on the abolishing of a moral reasoning component in the conscious act of choosing an option?

value wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:02 amThe argument is that the nature of observing does not allow that which is observed to fundamentally have been pre-known on cosmic level because it would render observation (consciousness) meaningless.
This sentence does not seem to parse well.
Can you break it up please?
What is "cosmic level"? You do not provide it with a grammatical article. Is there a reason for that?
The argument is simply that when that which is observed is fundamentally known cosmic-wise that the act of observing would be rendered meaningless.

When the cosmos would 'produce' consciousness causally it would imply that any 'information' within that cosmos would be fundamentally pre-known to any conscious observer which would be absurd because it would render the observing of that information meaningless.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Bahman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:17 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:06 am

2) Do choices exist?
Cool. Now you get my point. I am challenging determinism here so I assume that determinism and choices are both true and show that there is a contradiction! Of course, I have my argument for options to be real as it is illustrated in OP and as it is discussed in several posts in this thread.
No I asked you two questions. You cannot infer from two questions that I "now get your point".
Please answer the questions so that we can get on with the discussion.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

value wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:44 am
value wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:02 amAt question would be whether consciousness is reduce-able to a product of the human body.
But it is.
If it is, then where is the repeatable evidence?

(2019) Science as we know it can’t explain consciousness – but a philosophical revolution is coming
There is growing suspicion among scientists that conventional scientific methods will never be able to explain consciousness.
https://theconversation.com/science-as- ... ing-126143

Do you agree that if consciousness is to follow as a product of the physical brain that it should have a repeatable and observable nature?

Sculptor1 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:00 amHow do you think this relevant?
When a human makes a choice - 'has an option' - would the deterministic nature of that option rely on the abolishing of a moral reasoning component in the conscious act of choosing an option?

value wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:02 amThe argument is that the nature of observing does not allow that which is observed to fundamentally have been pre-known on cosmic level because it would render observation (consciousness) meaningless.
This sentence does not seem to parse well.
Can you break it up please?
What is "cosmic level"? You do not provide it with a grammatical article. Is there a reason for that?
The argument is simply that when that which is observed is fundamentally known cosmic-wise that the act of observing would be rendered meaningless.

When the cosmos would 'produce' consciousness causally it would imply that any 'information' within that cosmos would be fundamentally pre-known to any conscious observer which would be absurd because it would render the observing of that information meaningless.
Nope - not making head nor tail of this.
You are not making yourself clear.
Maybe if you answered my questions we could move on?
What to you mean "cosmic level"?
Cosmic how?
WFT is cosmic consciousness? DO you have any evidence of such a thing?
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

Bahman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:02 am My question is not how a person can choose one of the options but how options could be real in a deterministic world.
How they MIGHT be real? Maybe that quantum nonsense about "the secret", where the observer-dependent state of quantum particles is literally the observer choosing an option. Of course, that still wouldn't rule out the possibility that the ''soul" itself was always gonna come to the same decisions.
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

value wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:44 am The argument is simply that when that which is observed is fundamentally known cosmic-wise that the act of observing would be rendered meaningless.
Sculptor1 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:58 amNope - not making head nor tail of this.
You are not making yourself clear.
Maybe if you answered my questions we could move on?
What to you mean "cosmic level"?
Cosmic how?
WFT is cosmic consciousness? DO you have any evidence of such a thing?
With cosmic level is meant 'the whole of information' (totality) in a purely causal and deterministic cosmos. The term was used to indicate not consciousness but 'any information' originating from intrinsic existence that would fundamentally underlay consciousness (observing) of that information. The argument is that such 'cosmic level' (pre-known) information doesn't require an observer or consciousness, rendering consciousness meaningless, of which it is said that that is not justified.

Simplified: it is not justified to neglect the meaning of consciousness. One is obligated to explain consciousness.

When it concerns meaning it concerns the 'why' question of the cosmos. The act of observing - 'consciousness' - is necessarily meaningful and one is obligated to explain it's why question (why it is meaningful).

It is then seen that a proper addressing of the why question of consciousness prohibits one to claim that consciousness is a product of the cosmos because that would render the act of observing - and the cosmos with it - meaningless.
  1. Causality (determinism) acquires its meaning from the concept 'begin' (subjective perspective).
  2. The act of observing - 'consciousness' - acquires its meaning from being the origin of a begin (the essence of a subjective perspective) that therefore must fundamentally underlay the cosmos.
Therefore, when it concerns conscious options, there is a moral reasoning component involved which is the 'why' question of the cosmos that fundamentally underlays any conscious option.

In a deterministic world in which consciousness would be produced as a meaningless product, options would be just as meaningless as the consciousness that is produced by the 'cosmic level' (pre-known) information that it is observing.

The idea that determinism is true therefore is prohibited by the obligation to answer the why question of consciousness.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream