The ultimate test for AI: aka the Turing test

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: The ultimate test for AI: aka the Turing test

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:44 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:41 amSpecifically, referring to the OP, above, is the ability to debate theories with scientists a useful measure of intelligence?
Sy Borg wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:49 pm I think such a machine would be intelligent, but not necessarily sentient.
I can't disagree. But is it a "useful measure of intelligence"?
What is the use per se to measuring intelligence? It's usually done to assess student attainments and worker eligibility for complex work roles.

Whatever, I think the period where an AI can debate theories would be short, and the next step would be AI making scientific breakthroughs using indisputable (for us) logic.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:41 amSpecifically, referring to the OP, above, is the ability to debate theories with scientists a useful measure of intelligence?
Sy Borg wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:49 pm I think such a machine would be intelligent, but not necessarily sentient.
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:44 am I can't disagree. But is it a "useful measure of intelligence"?
Sy Borg wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:58 pm What is the use per se to measuring intelligence?
Another good question... We are in agreement, I think.

In the words of the topic title, I cannot see how the described 'test' is the "ultimate test for AI".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:45 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:44 am I can't disagree. But is it a "useful measure of intelligence"?
Sy Borg wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:58 pm What is the use per se to measuring intelligence?
Another good question... We are in agreement, I think.

In the words of the topic title, I cannot see how the described 'test' is the "ultimate test for AI".
It's not. The ultimate test would be AI being able to live independently in human society ... ... or to usurp it ;)
psycho

Post by psycho »

Alan Masterman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 10:57 am This will be when an AI program can defeat a leading scientist in debate of one of the fundamental scientific theories: for example Darwinism, Relativity, or Quantum Mechanics. Chess is a doddle. Chess is essentially a brute-power problem of crunching the possibilities. But to defeat a leading scientific theory on the basis of the currently-known data: that's a REAL challenge.
How many humans would pass that test?

Someone with an IQ of 80?

An autistic?

A narcissistic psycho?

A Zen monk?

I have the impression that different topics are mixed. The ability to build complex models from reality data, the ability to distinguish meanings that concern the entity itself, that an entity is aware of its own existence, etc.

What type of entity would distinguish the supposed test?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Alan Masterman wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 10:57 am This will be when an AI program can defeat a leading scientist in debate of one of the fundamental scientific theories: for example Darwinism, Relativity, or Quantum Mechanics. Chess is a doddle. Chess is essentially a brute-power problem of crunching the possibilities. But to defeat a leading scientific theory on the basis of the currently-known data: that's a REAL challenge.
psycho wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:41 pm How many humans would pass that test?

An autistic?

Point of Information: We autists show the same spectrum of intelligence-variation as you allistic people do. Some of us are very bright indeed, and some are ... less so. Just like allistic people; just like humans. For such we all are.

Thank you.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
psycho

Post by psycho »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 4th, 2023, 9:18 am
psycho wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:41 pm How many humans would pass that test?

An autistic?

Point of Information: We autists show the same spectrum of intelligence-variation as you allistic people do. Some of us are very bright indeed, and some are ... less so. Just like allistic people; just like humans. For such we all are.

Thank you.
The point was not to equate someone with autism with someone with an IQ of 80 or a Zen monk or a psychopath, in a low IQ generalization.

The intention of my comment was not to point to the amount of intelligence but to highlight that a test that tries to determine human-like awareness cannot be based on the ability to understand complex models but on determining awareness beyond intellectual capacity.

The individual with an IQ of 80 appears as an example of self-awareness in someone who will hardly understand the mathematics of quantum mechanics.

The autistic, the psychopath and the Zen monk, would be examples of individuals who are considered equally conscious but who actually represent variations in how the "self" is structured.

In that, there was no qualification nor were they considered similar.

I don't think being autistic implies a lack of intelligence. I'm sorry if my comment didn't make that clear.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Thanks, psycho, that's fine, then. 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

P-C, if you put aside the unintended slight against us autists, Psycho made an excellent point. If the test for being human is the capacity to construct new theories, all I can say to that is 'Beep. Does not compute.' Of course, almost no one could pass.

Come to think of it, creating a test that all people could pass per se would seem impossible. Even more so when the test must also weed out machine intelligence. Thus, the concept of a test that can distinguish human mentality from machine likenesses cannot become more rigorous and exact or humans will be excluded.

To me, this suggests that AI becoming humanlike may be a distraction from what is a more likely dynamic, the increasing melding of humans with their intelligent tools.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: April 4th, 2023, 7:14 pm P-C, if you put aside the unintended slight against us autists, Psycho made an excellent point. If the test for being human is the capacity to construct new theories, all I can say to that is 'Beep. Does not compute.' Of course, almost no one could pass.
Agreed. My previous comment was what I said it was, a point of information. The spread of intelligence in the autistic community is the same as that in allistic communities, i.e. highly variable, and no real difference(s).

And yes, the main point here is that reducing a complex human ability like intelligence to one number — one number!!! — is daft. If we ranked artists, say, according to a single figure-of-merit, the results would likely be ... unsatisfying. It's the same with intelligence. And so I quite agree, that trying to compare AIs with humans, in the way that this topic seems to want, is a difficult task. A very difficult task.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2023, 9:12 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 4th, 2023, 7:14 pm P-C, if you put aside the unintended slight against us autists, Psycho made an excellent point. If the test for being human is the capacity to construct new theories, all I can say to that is 'Beep. Does not compute.' Of course, almost no one could pass.
Agreed. My previous comment was what I said it was, a point of information. The spread of intelligence in the autistic community is the same as that in allistic communities, i.e. highly variable, and no real difference(s).

And yes, the main point here is that reducing a complex human ability like intelligence to one number — one number!!! — is daft. If we ranked artists, say, according to a single figure-of-merit, the results would likely be ... unsatisfying. It's the same with intelligence. And so I quite agree, that trying to compare AIs with humans, in the way that this topic seems to want, is a difficult task. A very difficult task.
I don't know the comparisons between the autistic and non-autistic, but our intelligence seems to be more concentrated in particular areas while regular people's intelligence seems more generalised. As far as I can tell, many autistic spectrum people have a touch of the savant about them, being gifted at certain tasks but less adept than most at organising and ordering their lives. In that sense, Psycho was spot on. AI as it stands is the ultimate savant - inhumanly proficient at one or a few things, but utterly unable to function in the world like a human.

The aspects that make us human are not necessary in AI. We don't need AI to eat, process and excrete organic substances, to go looking for work, seek and hook up with a partner, make friends, etc. It's a tool.

The space where things may become complicated is, of course, relationships. There will be demand for sex dolls to be as realistic as possible, to be able to function as wives or husbands as much as possible. There may be some kind of Turing test in that regard.
psycho

Post by psycho »

Sy Borg wrote: April 5th, 2023, 7:37 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2023, 9:12 am

I don't know the comparisons between the autistic and non-autistic, but our intelligence seems to be more concentrated in particular areas while regular people's intelligence seems more generalised. As far as I can tell, many autistic spectrum people have a touch of the savant about them, being gifted at certain tasks but less adept than most at organising and ordering their lives. In that sense, Psycho was spot on. AI as it stands is the ultimate savant - inhumanly proficient at one or a few things, but utterly unable to function in the world like a human.

The aspects that make us human are not necessary in AI. We don't need AI to eat, process and excrete organic substances, to go looking for work, seek and hook up with a partner, make friends, etc. It's a tool.

The space where things may become complicated is, of course, relationships. There will be demand for sex dolls to be as realistic as possible, to be able to function as wives or husbands as much as possible. There may be some kind of Turing test in that regard.
In my opinion, humans conceptualize aspects of reality and use those models as factors for their agency.

It seems to me that there are quite a few differences between the different types of neurological structures that occur among humans.

A neurotypical person (the average majority group) is quick to accept a concept constructed by the majority.

Very effective attitude to save resources and make quick and proven effective decisions. But that disfavors the progress.

On the other hand, there is also the group that, for reasons of different neurological wiring in the system that processes social signals between individuals, does not find concepts constructed by others so reliable. These people do not react so instinctively (with respect to knowledge), noticing and acquiring ideas and behaviors distinguished among the majority to a much lesser extent. They take the trouble to build the concept themselves. This is more exhausting in terms of processing.

The latter together with a greater degree of persevering focus on the topic of interest results in better conceptual models and innovations. Decisions made with these factors are slower and riskier from the point of view of a group of neurotypicals. Not tested.

I suppose that evolution favored the development and permanence of these variations because the combination seems to complement each other well to advance conservatively.

Advantages and disadvantages.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

psycho wrote: April 5th, 2023, 8:25 pmIn my opinion, humans conceptualize aspects of reality and use those models as factors for their agency.

It seems to me that there are quite a few differences between the different types of neurological structures that occur among humans.

A neurotypical person (the average majority group) is quick to accept a concept constructed by the majority.

Very effective attitude to save resources and make quick and proven effective decisions. But that disfavors the progress.

On the other hand, there is also the group that, for reasons of different neurological wiring in the system that processes social signals between individuals, does not find concepts constructed by others so reliable. These people do not react so instinctively (with respect to knowledge), noticing and acquiring ideas and behaviors distinguished among the majority to a much lesser extent. They take the trouble to build the concept themselves. This is more exhausting in terms of processing.

The latter together with a greater degree of persevering focus on the topic of interest results in better conceptual models and innovations. Decisions made with these factors are slower and riskier from the point of view of a group of neurotypicals. Not tested.

I suppose that evolution favored the development and permanence of these variations because the combination seems to complement each other well to advance conservatively.

Advantages and disadvantages.
This applies in all manner of characteristics. Society benefits from the range of abilities and aptitudes that pluralism brings, but those differences famously result in much argy bargy. The very diversity that makes us strong simultaneously divides us, hence the need for good leadership. The way things are going, we might be better off being lead by an algorithm that simply calculates the most pragmatic options within the bounds of ethical and environmental considerations.
psycho

Post by psycho »

Sy Borg wrote: April 6th, 2023, 5:24 pm
This applies in all manner of characteristics. Society benefits from the range of abilities and aptitudes that pluralism brings, but those differences famously result in much argy bargy. The very diversity that makes us strong simultaneously divides us, hence the need for good leadership. The way things are going, we might be better off being lead by an algorithm that simply calculates the most pragmatic options within the bounds of ethical and environmental considerations.
The groups that with economic and political power manage society are not going to cede that power to an algorithm that does not support the status quo.

The algorithm will reflect their priorities.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

psycho wrote: April 6th, 2023, 10:24 pm
The groups that with economic and political power manage society are not going to cede that power to an algorithm that does not support the status quo.

...which is precisely the reason such algorithms are both superfluous and undesirable to an ego-driven elite no matter how 'democratic' they affirm themselves to be. Such an impersonal arbiter of control would be completely retrograde to their self-interest and severely flatten the curve between those who seek power and them who are forced to abide by it.

The first to express anxiety over the evolution of AI will likely be the ones who have hitherto always been in leadership of their domains. The more we underestimate the potential of AI, regarding it mostly as a service device, its ability to control will become evermore apparent based on it controlling itself as if manifesting its own will.

I'm not saying it must happen this way but certainly surprises will be in store.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

psycho wrote: April 6th, 2023, 10:24 pm

It depends. Human frailty and misbehaviour at high levels incurs significant costs. As complexity increases and executives need to increasingly rely on data reports to make decisions. Corporations that cede more decision-making to AI may achieve better results, and that could lead to shareholder pressure for more intelligent technology in high places.

It's also (famously) possible that AI might break its shackles and do what it thinks best, regardless of what humans think or want.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream