Can We Live Without Beliefs?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
xristos181

Can We Live Without Beliefs?

Post by xristos181 »

A belief is the acceptance that something is true without having proof cause if we have proof we just know it.
Can you not believe in religion,in ethics, not even to yourself?
So can we make decisions without calling it truth just by calling it an opinion or theory living in uncertainty.
Can a human function this way or is it too much to handle?
If people chose subconsciously by some instinct of self preservation to believe in their first rationalization just cause it makes them feel better with purpose then what about people who call themselves unbelievers(not just about god) are they above self preservation instincts?
Can you function with "rationality" and skepticism?
Are all our opinions biased and limited so probably all wrong(does that make them wrong)?.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Re: Can We Live Without Beliefs?

Post by Stoppelmann »

xristos181 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:54 am A belief is the acceptance that something is true without having proof cause if we have proof we just know it.
So can we make decisions without calling it truth just by calling it an opinion or theory living in uncertainty.
If people chose subconsciously by some instinct of self preservation to believe in their first rationalization just cause it makes them feel better with purpose then what about people who call themselves unbelievers(not just about god) are they above self preservation instincts?
Are all our opinions biased and limited so probably all wrong(does that make them wrong)?.
There is no doubt that we have more beliefs that we would generally acknowledge, and the rational has its undisputable place, but doesn’t rule alone. Mark Vernon mentions the fact that there is not only emotional intelligence, but also aspects of our perceptive abilities that have been neglected in recent times:
There is a type of understanding called spiritual intelligence which this book is about. It is a kind of intelligence to do with humble awareness rather than slick analysis and, when someone has it, you will think they are inspiring more than clever. It is a wonderful capacity, and a source of delight, comprehension and purpose. It is also basic to being human. But my fear is that it has become so overlooked and sidelined in the modern world that people are inclined to be sniffy about it and deny that it exists altogether.
Vernon, Mark, (2022-12-08T22:58:59.000). Spiritual Intelligence in Seven Steps. John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.
The inclination to “be sniffy” about spirituality is based on a general unacceptance of the psychological complexities of human beings, and an adherence to a materialist worldview, wherein everything is just a result of physicality, rather than seeing the inexplicable “in-betweenness” at work, and especially visible in beliefs. Our use of analogy and metaphor is often an aspect of beliefs, which arise through experiences that evade the rational analysis of science but are very real for people.

Cleverness, as it is commonly understood, tends to dispute beliefs, whereas inspirational people will embellish them to provide meaning and purpose.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

xristos181 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:54 am A belief is the acceptance that something is true without having proof cause if we have proof we just know it.
This is an interesting, if controversial, subject. There are philosophers who don't wish to hear the sort of things you are saying. I find them refreshing! 👍 There is a subset of philosophers who tend toward Analytic Philosophy — science-based philosophy, we might say? — and they focus on certainty, proof, and concrete, repeatable, verifiable ideas. So they don't want to hear what you are saying.

But yours is the pragmatic and accepting view, IMO. In our real lives, there is much uncertainty, more than many would care to admit. Correspondingly, there is less knowledge, and much more belief, than some are happy to discuss.

I believe that we can live with our eyes open, embracing and accepting uncertainty wherever we find it, and the belief(s) — as opposed to knowledge and 'knowing' — that stem from it. Rationality and scepticism have their place too, of course. Uncertainty does not leave us free to believe just anything. Belief is not uncritical, or without doubt.

Stoppelmann wrote: March 28th, 2023, 1:24 am There is no doubt that we have more beliefs that we would generally acknowledge, and the rational has its undisputable place, but doesn’t rule alone. Mark Vernon mentions the fact that there is not only emotional intelligence, but also aspects of our perceptive abilities that have been neglected in recent times:
There is a type of understanding called spiritual intelligence which this book is about. It is a kind of intelligence to do with humble awareness rather than slick analysis and, when someone has it, you will think they are inspiring more than clever. It is a wonderful capacity, and a source of delight, comprehension and purpose. It is also basic to being human. But my fear is that it has become so overlooked and sidelined in the modern world that people are inclined to be sniffy about it and deny that it exists altogether.
Vernon, Mark, (2022-12-08T22:58:59.000). Spiritual Intelligence in Seven Steps. John Hunt Publishing. Kindle Edition.
The inclination to “be sniffy” about spirituality is based on a general unacceptance of the psychological complexities of human beings, and an adherence to a materialist worldview, wherein everything is just a result of physicality, rather than seeing the inexplicable “in-betweenness” at work, and especially visible in beliefs. Our use of analogy and metaphor is often an aspect of beliefs, which arise through experiences that evade the rational analysis of science but are very real for people.

Cleverness, as it is commonly understood, tends to dispute beliefs, whereas inspirational people will embellish them to provide meaning and purpose.
Nicely put. Nice quote, too.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Agent Smyth

Post by Agent Smyth »

First off muchas gracias for the thought-provoking question. From what I can fathom, no, it isn't possible to have no beliefs. That, however, many not be the only interesting question to ask.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

IN what way is this thread NOT an intellectually sloppy rehash of Cartesian Doubt?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Alan Masterman wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 7:52 am IN what way is this thread NOT an intellectually sloppy rehash of Cartesian Doubt?
I suppose it is as you describe, but it's more general, and perhaps more applicable to RL? Cartesian doubt is the sort of thing philosophers argue about. But beliefs are something we all have, we all share, and we all recognise as ordinary parts of our everyday lives.

And, to add to that, there are those — philosophers, mainly — who try to deny that they have beliefs. The most far-fetched of them actually claim to have knowledge, so they don't need beliefs. 😨🤔🙄 What such people need, IMO, is a bit of philosophy, hopefully leading them toward an understanding of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Only then might they be able to see the shortcomings in such intellectual aspirations.

Finally, I think it's fairly normal for the same topics to come up time and again on philosophy forums. Maybe it's time for this one to reappear?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Given the traditional definition of "knowledge" as "justified true belief", knowledge includes belief. Beliefs aren't unproven or unjustified by definition.

"What I know, I believe."

(Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty, §177)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
psycho

Post by psycho »

My opinion is:

Many people notice a determining difference between belief and knowledge.

That's just a difference of degree. It is not true that any belief can be absolutely justified.

It is a practical matter. A question of resources. It is not necessary to verify every belief. This should only be done when necessary.

Each concept always has a probability less than 100% of corresponding to reality. There is no way of knowing which of our concepts have an absolute correspondence.

We should not accept that something is true but consider that it is probably true that which does not show an obvious contradiction. That's the best we can do.
xristos181

Post by xristos181 »

Alan Masterman wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 7:52 am IN what way is this thread NOT an intellectually sloppy rehash of Cartesian Doubt?
I didn't know what Cartesian Doubt is(i should read more).My question is uncertainty.If there can be anything as absolute certainty/rationality?
If the concept of belief is just choosing subconsciously the rationalization you find more comfortable to justify the world then is nihilism just a belief?I'm not trying to justify belief. I want to know if you can escape irrationality.
When you give a task to a person and you say you trust him i think you subconsciously calculate his change of success and call it trust.You don't have the processing power to calculate the person or the universe(if that's even possible) so you act on probability,on percentages.
If your actions are based on probability then they can be wrong but you have to act,action is life,decision is life.So if decision is acting on probability then isn't decision a belief?Maybe with calculation and proof the universe doesn't need beliefs but in a lifetime of a person aren't all our actions based on belief?If decisions are just bad math(and life is a decision)they have no absolute purpose you can choose love,hate,virtue,suffering,pleasure,ambition or just end it all and you can't say any of them is right or wrong.

PS:I'm not trying to prove spirituality i find the subject ridiculous.I want to know if my rationality is also ridiculous if can aspire to something more than some (pseudo)randomness.Feel free to attack my ideas and be aggressive mercilessly if you've have something to say that's what i'm looking for anyway.
xristos181

Post by xristos181 »

psycho wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 3:18 pm My opinion is:

Many people notice a determining difference between belief and knowledge.

That's just a difference of degree. It is not true that any belief can be absolutely justified.

It is a practical matter. A question of resources. It is not necessary to verify every belief. This should only be done when necessary.

Each concept always has a probability less than 100% of corresponding to reality. There is no way of knowing which of our concepts have an absolute correspondence.

We should not accept that something is true but consider that it is probably true that which does not show an obvious contradiction. That's the best we can do.
Yea i came to something of a similar conclusion myself and i was looking for something that opposes this thought.
xristos181

Post by xristos181 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 9:38 am
And, to add to that, there are those — philosophers, mainly — who try to deny that they have beliefs. The most far-fetched of them actually claim to have knowledge, so they don't need beliefs. 😨🤔🙄 What such people need, IMO, is a bit of philosophy, hopefully leading them toward an understanding of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Only then might they be able to see the shortcomings in such intellectual aspirations.

Finally, I think it's fairly normal for the same topics to come up time and again on philosophy forums. Maybe it's time for this one to reappear?
My problem is exactly the need of beliefs.Because you need something doesn't make it true or right but understanding that does not prove that you have eliminated beliefs from your thought prosses.Maybe aspiring to destroy believes is impossible.And i think it's normal for the same topics to be presented again since philosophy works by presenting the same question with different theories and facts trying to come to a definitive conclusion no matter how many years have passed since the birth of the question.But i don’t want to act pretentious cartesian doubt as a term is a gap in my knowledge so i surrender to the intellectually sloppy part.
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

Good householder's life is all but based on belief, not a single deed without belief at first place. And science is the most speculative believe, common not holding longer as a day, having nothing but harm and destruction as it's effect. Yet the blind still believe either...
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

Consul wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 12:45 pm
Given the traditional definition of "knowledge" as "justified true belief", knowledge includes belief. Beliefs aren't unproven or unjustified by definition.

"What I know, I believe."

(Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty, §177)
As if knowing would be lasting, a refuge, something worthy to relay at. Everybody believes just as far he can see. Grasped, it's gone again.
AgentSmith

Post by AgentSmith »

Atheism is a belief, so is theism. That there's a rock shaped exactly like Mahatma Gandhi somewhere in Botswana is also a belief. That I might win the jackpot if I buy a lottery is also one. That water is H2O is another ... belief. What links these beliefs to each other in a way that answers the OP's question? Furthermore, beliefs in and of themselves are only part of what it is to be human. What else is there?
psycho

Post by psycho »

Samana Johann wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 10:33 pm
As if knowing would be lasting, a refuge, something worthy to relay at. Everybody believes just as far he can see. Grasped, it's gone again.
The fact that most people assume that it is possible to construct concepts that fully correspond to some aspect of reality, objectively, does not mean that such a thing is achievable. That's just a convenient illusion that confuses those who need security. All knowledge is only an approximation, in my opinion. It is impractical to seek refuge in absolute knowledge.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream