Philosophy is. A Simple Definition.

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Barkun

Philosophy is. A Simple Definition.

Post by Barkun »

Philosophy is study of the fundamental known.

Knowledge is an average of all your analysed data. Philosophy is analysis of knowledge in retrospect. Retrospectively, this is fundamental because it's knowledge-breaking, changing all of the average at once.

There are many different philosophies, that's because as well as knowledge is our use of it.

Therefore, philosophy can be fundamentally subjective and we ought build our own philosophy to suit our character, influenced or not.
AgentSmith

Re: Philosophy is. A Simple Definition.

Post by AgentSmith »

There seems little interest in philosophy outside of academia for obvious reasons. To make matters worse there's no Nobel prize in philosophy. Forums like this one are a rarity but thank God they exist if only as an expression of interest in the subject as opposed to actual philosophizing.

Philosophy's roots go back 2 millennia into the past and that says a lot about how people were and are.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Barkun wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:01 pm Philosophy is study of the fundamental known.

8<

Therefore, philosophy can be fundamentally subjective and we ought build our own philosophy to suit our character, influenced or not.
I think philosophy is any sort or form of serious, considered thought. And I think that philosophy — to be relevant and useful — should be subjective, in the sense that it should be aimed at human beings living lives in the real world. But these are just my opinions.

What is it, exactly, that you hope to discuss in this topic? Are you seeking to discuss your ideas of what philosophy is, or are you asking others to contribute their ideas of what it is?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Barkun

Post by Barkun »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 20th, 2023, 7:27 am
Barkun wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:01 pm Philosophy is study of the fundamental known.

8<

I think philosophy is any sort or form of serious, considered thought. And I think that philosophy — to be relevant and useful — should be subjective, in the sense that it should be aimed at human beings living lives in the real world. But these are just my opinions.

What is it, exactly, that you hope to discuss in this topic? Are you seeking to discuss your ideas of what philosophy is, or are you asking others to contribute their ideas of what it is?
I think philosophy is what I have outlined. I put it up for discussion or debate. Serious, considered thought warrants elaboration. What makes thought serious, considered?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Barkun wrote: April 20th, 2023, 8:47 am Serious, considered thought warrants elaboration. What makes thought serious, considered?

It's always good to be clear what we mean, but here I think that simple dictionary definitions offer what we need.
Wiktionary wrote: Adjective

serious
(comparative more serious or seriouser, superlative most serious or seriousest)

Without humor or expression of happiness; grave in manner or disposition

It was a surprise to see the captain, who had always seemed so serious, laugh so heartily.
Synonyms: earnest, solemn

Important; weighty; not insignificant

This is a serious problem. We'll need our best experts.

Really intending what is said (or planned, etc); in earnest; not jocular or deceiving

After all these years, we're finally getting serious attention.
He says he wants to buy the team, but is he serious?

(of a relationship) Committed.
Wiktionary wrote: Adjective

considered

Having been carefully thought out.

It is my considered opinion that the accused is innocent.
Wiktionary wrote: Noun

thought
(countable and uncountable, plural thoughts)

(countable) Representation created in the mind without the use of one's faculties of vision, sound, smell, touch, or taste; an instance of thinking.

The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.

(uncountable) The operation by which mental activity arise or are manipulated; the process of thinking; the agency by which thinking is accomplished.

Without freedom of thought there can be no such thing as wisdom, and no such thing as public liberty without freedom of speech.

(uncountable) A way of thinking (associated with a group, nation or region).

Traditional eastern thought differs markedly from that of the west.

(uncountable, now dialectal) Anxiety, distress.
(uncountable) The careful consideration of multiple factors; deliberation.

After much thought, I have decided to stay.

A very small amount, distance, etc.; a whit or jot.
As we can see, each of the 3 words carries multiple meanings, but that's OK. It doesn't distract from our purposes because most of the meanings are compatible with what we're discussing. The ones that aren't especially useful to us — e.g. thought being "A very small amount, distance, etc.; a whit or jot" — are fairly obvious.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

In his Encyclopedia of the Philosophical Sciences in Basic Outline Hegel defines philosophy as "thoughtful contemplation of things" ("denkende Betrachtung der Gegenstände").
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

SINGH JAY wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 2:30 am Outside of academia, philosophy seems to be of little interest, for obvious reasons. Even worse, there isn't a Nobel Prize in philosophy. Forums like this one are uncommon, but it's a good thing they exist, if just to exhibit interest in the topic rather than engage in philosophical discussion. The history of philosophy dates back two millennia, which reveals much about how people have been and are.
Uummm... I think you meant: "2" millennia, not "two" millennia.
"As usual... it depends."
Cherryblossom
New Trial Member

Post by Cherryblossom »

Philosophy is really very complex term and is considered a multifaceted field that offers us a wide variety of directions to understand or untangle complex things, It helps to overcome our own biases and prejudice which is too very important in today's world where we are constantly and increasingly exposed to a wide variety of perspectives, assumption, and tradition. In Simple words, Philosophy is more like exploring the nature of reality.
Barkun

Post by Barkun »

I don't know what a tree is. I goto a tree using my #Good #Senses, and attempt to #Understand it. After a period of time, as my senses are good, my #Understanding leads to #Acknowledgement. I then through my interest and excitement proceed to passively #Analyze the tree. The product of this #Analysis increases the average of my #All-#Data #Comprehension. This is #Knowledge.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 4:25 am Uummm... I think you meant: "2" millennia, not "two" millennia.
Surely the two are synonymous, and both are acceptable, in anything but the most formal text, yes?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Barkun

Post by Barkun »

Philosophy is protocol of the mind concerning subjective fundemental nature, and the study of fundamental nature objectively, but that is not fundamentally nature, that's the fundemental nature; the aspects of nature which are fundemental. When we study philosophy, we change our knowledge, aligning it with new perspectives or reinforcing old ones. However, philosophical transactions are made all the time. Sometimes we seek to change everything about our future actions, in one big decision-making event horizon, this is a protocol of mind, tinkering with knowledge.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:51 am
LuckyR wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 4:25 am Uummm... I think you meant: "2" millennia, not "two" millennia.
Surely the two are synonymous, and both are acceptable, in anything but the most formal text, yes?
He knows what I'm getting at.

Hint, look at the second post in the thread.
"As usual... it depends."
psycho

Post by psycho »

Knowledge is an average of all your analysed data. Philosophy is analysis of knowledge in retrospect. Retrospectively, this is fundamental because it's knowledge-breaking, changing all of the average at once.

There are many different philosophies, that's because as well as knowledge is our use of it.

For me, philosophy is using the logical regularities noted in the consolidated reality (what is supposed to be known) to analyze the novelties that the use of new technologies makes evident or to rethink facets of that reality that, under new paradigms, are no longer coherent with the accepted model.

As an exploratory vanguard in areas that are not yet within the reach of science.
Barkun

Post by Barkun »

psycho wrote: April 28th, 2023, 7:58 pm

For me, philosophy is using the logical regularities noted in the consolidated reality (what is supposed to be known) to analyze the novelties that the use of new technologies makes evident or to rethink facets of that reality that, under new paradigms, are no longer coherent with the accepted model.

As an exploratory vanguard in areas that are not yet within the reach of science.
I understand how your definition correlated to mine but I still 'prefer' my own definition, I don't believe we have any grasp of what is 'supposed' to be known, per se.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream