The Need for Concision and Clarity on the Philosophy Forums

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Michael McMahon

Re: The Need for Concision and Clarity on the Philosophy Forums

Post by Michael McMahon »

Belindi wrote: November 25th, 2020, 6:15 am
Sorry for not replying sooner I just read your message a minute ago.I agree with you. If I had prefaced mine that you replied to with "Warning. The following is meta-language!" would that have neutralised the posh connotation?
I once wrote an English essay in secondary school about an imagined speech in which I tell students about the themes of a certain poet. I was trying to show off my vocabulary by describing the poet's new and "seminal" imagery. The teacher corrected me with a reminder that I was supposedly speaking to a youthful audience and not to use such an explicit word! I didn't know about the connotations from the thesaurus.
Michael McMahon

Post by Michael McMahon »

Sometimes people with unusual styles of speaking can be helpful in serving as reference point for the advantages and disadvantages of their manner of expression. English isn't an exact science and no way of writing is perfect. Every linguistic style is a compromise between competing qualities. The appropriate structure depends entirely on the context of the particular discussion. For example I often read different blogs on the internet where I pick up on different levels of fluency. I've listened to many of Sam Harris' podcasts and am left impressed by his oratory skills in his academic descriptions and arguments. The advantage here is his ability to accurately describe finer details in an objective way. He's a scientist who often discusses philosophical topics and so his impersonal vocabulary is suitable. Maybe the disadvantage is that occasionally it becomes less emotional for personal issues and a bit repetitive if he uses multiple adjectives for the same concept. Another interesting speaker is Russel Brand where he often has a poetic tone. This is kind of the opposite of Sam Harris where his language is very emotional and indirect. An advantage with Russel's articulacy is its uniqueness since the greater your vocabulary the more you can express your individuality. He has a good ability to use metaphors and create abstract imagery. It jibes with his self-deprecating sense of humour. The only downside is that he sometimes compromises on his fluency where complex wording can interrupt the flow and rhythm of a sentence. This doesn't mean that its a bad way of writing; merely that it'd more time-consuming for your reader to get through all of it. So I suppose both the average age of your audience and their time commitments for the subject at hand are important factors for consideration.

"And where normal people use one difficult word in a sentence, he can have five!"
https://englishwithasmile.org/2015/05/2 ... u-english/
godblog

Post by godblog »

The following describes my general philosophy of existence or consciousness.
1:(1)In the beginning may be seen in a religious context but it is simply an expression of the first realization of our consciousness that I exist
2: This realization created a BIG BANG explosion of unanswerable questions… what am I when where how why do I know I exist
3: since there were no answers (0) to those questions WE created the god that created us in order to explain our existence.
4: we are a singularity consciousness (1) in a universe of nothingness (0) 10011100011 by vibrating we create a binary communication system to communicate our existence and to create meaning and purpose for our existence in a universe that has none. In other words we created the perception of a physical reality.. colours sounds ideas in order to make our existence as a bored lonely singularity in a universe of nothingness… a more enjoyable experience…
Any questions? Personally how can I make this easier to understand and communicate to others?
godblog

Post by godblog »

If you need clarification of any of the points in my last post, please be specific in any comments you make on them.
godblog

Post by godblog »

All our communication of our consciousness is a product of vibrating energy
Starting with our ideas as firing synapses to our expression of them sounds decibels and colours angstroms…
You must know that even computers communicate only in those binary expressions of our consciousness…
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Scott wrote: May 8th, 2009, 12:05 pm If you have not already, read my article entitled [url=http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=289]How to Have Productive Philosophical Conversations[/url]. That article elaborates on what I see as the four most important elements of conversation on these forums that we all need to improve. Those four elements are: being a good listener (or reader in this case), asking questions, being clear and concise, and being nice and polite.

Frankly, I cannot stress the importance of the last two enough. In this thread, I will focus on the importance of being clear and concise.

Almost all of us are members of these forums because we want to have in depth discussions about complicated topics. But we make it almost impossible to do that by muddling the conversation with too much rambling, with long-winded posts and with unclear language.

Perhaps we mistakenly think we will better prove our points if we back them up with a long-winded, rambling post that includes every half-good thought we have that is even remotely tied to the original topic.

However, a long-winded and rambling post actually makes it harder for readers to understand your main points. Besides, most people will not pay as much attention while reading a long-winded post. For illustration, I think a post that's half as long will tend to get twice as much attention paid per sentence. So instead of writing a long-winding, rambling post, make your post as concise and clear as possible. Increase the quality; decrease the length.

Do not fill your posts with lots of loosely related and tangential subjects. Stay focused on the specific subject of the thread in which you are posting. If that subject makes you think of another loosely related subject, consider starting a new thread about that new subject. When starting a new thread, make the subject very clear and specific. If you have more than one subject to talk about, do not stuff them into the same thread; post two or more new threads, one for each subject you wish to discuss.

Also, do not write your posts as if they were poetry or riddles. Write in complete sentences and paragraphs with the intention of making your posts as clear and understandable as possible.

You can also make your post more clear by correcting spelling and grammar mistakes. It is required by [url=http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12]the forum rules[/url] that you use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. As the forum rules say, if you are not putting enough effort into your post to correct the spelling and grammar, then do not post it.

Of course, you need to proof-read your posts. Do not make any post without proof-reading it. Generally, I recommend proof-reading your posts several times before posting them.

Proof-reading your posts not only allows you to fix spelling and grammar errors, but it also allows you to make sure it is as clear and concise as possible. While proof-reading, try to find changes you can make that will make your post more clear. Will others understand what you are trying to say? Try to find out ways to shorten your post to make it more concise and avoid rambling. Try to remove comments and sentences that are irrelevant to the thread. Try to find ways to get the same point across with less words.

I recommend always proof-reading the whole post again from beginning to end after making a change.

While some of us may need to do it more than others, we can all benefit by making our posts more clear and concise. So let's all work harder on being more clear and concise. And let's all proof-read our posts a little more.

Thanks,
Scott
See also:
https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussi ... of-clarity

A similar question. Maybe the answers there can contribute. Orwell is mentioned there. I think he wrote, in 1946, an enlightening essay on politics and language.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Here's the link: https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-or ... -language/

His essay, while directed against the use of language in tyranny politics, has equal value when applied to the tactics of the tyranny of science.

Personally I don't like totally unnecessary adjectives like "totally" (totally unnecessary"), "completely" ("completely beside the point"), "serious(ly)" ("a serious deathblow") "blatantly" ("blatantly failing"), "horribly" ("horribly wrong"), etcetera, etcetera. I try to avoid this AMAP. Just read a random piece and you'll notice many examples. Small things but small drops of poison can be seriously lethal... oops!
InfinityMuse

Post by InfinityMuse »

Soul Creator wrote: September 29th, 2020, 6:26 am Wow huge reply and list of questions.

1. Why when you asked them did they tell you about afterlife or that your God.

Why? Because the Jewish tried to take over and have for 200 years ish.
Why 200 years because they fort they found a loophole of just reborning me none stop because we are uploaded and download..... I'm very smart and before I come down I set off consciousness and I new they could just upload me and download me none stop, so subconsciously I did premonitions to let them know that I could only be born free times and the house that I lived at the petrol station next to the petrol station numbers is 321. 321 is 3 lives they claim. I have used reverse psychology on them a lot and it could be the other way around 1 2 3 lives bang spiritual awakening.
This world/unevirse they/us in the human body's/ brain is an computer. Quantum computers have electrons and atom's as does the brain. An wavelength hits the hidden frontal lobs and you are down and uploaded none stop unto you die.... wake up signal stops.

Why did they tell me that I'm God?

Because of multiple reasons. 1 They told me about Petrol station I premonitioned when 14 claming it was me telling them what I would do to them if they didn't stop doing things to me.
They also told me I was God because they needed me to have self belief they claim. I have no self belief for a consciousness or spiritual reason they won't tell me but it has something to do with taking away my premonitions powers I think..... Can't self believe for long time or at all.
Why I lived in that house they asked me to do a premonition. Stupid me at the time did on and said it would be in the outskirts of NZ....It come true the volcano.
my computer program that can act as mind control "burn your chest" must heat electrons up" and put a knife to your throght "yes" they did that to me under mind control like Freddy's nightmare on Elmo's street...I kid you not. It can stop you from dying of cancer or making it spread, but for some reason can't stop the aging of Parkinson but stop the symptom why on what I call mind control...Once you come off mind control the symptoms hit you "or" they wanted Adolf Hitler to look like a chicken...They did it to them Frame me and did the holocaust to them selfs to get support clamming my subconsciousness consciousness made Hitler do the holocaust....I was framed from the start, so was Hitler they did it to themselves 1000%. They need to win full support because in the afterlife your brain and you can't be put in pain as the brain in the afterlife doesn't have charges I take it.
They gave me an op and claim they cut something out my brain after my building fall, that has triggered full scale consciousness as if it's a spiritual upload and I never told them we are spiritual.....They tried to wipe me out when I come down here.

Well what are people Thinking.

It depends because the CIA and ASIO are holding me hostage in Adelaide forsay....Mind control is used on my mum and she hasn't even looked at one bit off proof. She gets angry instantly when I try talk about it and mind control on me, makes me talk in a stupid way...My house mate and some mates know I'm 100% telling the truth "but" my what I call basic computer program that they hacked was made to do everything...I mean I never Burt anyone but just put it in place Incase. So they ether implant people on pages like this saying mentally ill delusional band him band him, because they think subconscious and consciousness is computer program and they still got time to Hacked it, because they think I will put them in pain for an eternity, for what they've done to me. Other then that mind control stops them and they bried the CIA fake media because all tv stations didn't even return contact me after I just claimed I did the Iraq war strategies, with like 50 coincidences and me having proof of doing a strategy before they told the public/air it on tv like they deliberately did Trying to cover it up by people thinking "well the strategies was all on TV" first war and history with mass strategies told to the public.
The problem is that video was made before it aired on tv and the blody bribe psychiatrist just said it was a coincidence to my mother/me who is under mind control, even after knowing I turn it back at the petrol station saying it blew up with my sister and it didn't to later on that night..it must be mind control all the way.
You going to tell all your mates and start protest with me out the front of sunrise morning show with the windows open for all too see bro? I got signs made up but it's like some people lol. subconsciously I must have done the Iraq war strategies.I seen the war on the news as a disaster and just sent them letters and turn it around, but the CIA deliberately lost the war they didn't want me to look like a hero winning the war but turned that war right around.
In last life they ripped out my spinal cord that they so called claim is memory storage.....I call BS but can't answer that... Subconsciously sometimes I can actually tell by their voice even if they talk normal and slow but sometimes I wouldn't have a clue.
Consciously I block things out because they could get info out of me like how to beat it or get around it or ideas that may get me killed and other people, so subconsciously I can only consciously let myself know certain things.

Things in my life would trip you out.

I seen the American golfer that died on a plane bording his plane and he died after I said your going to die 100% when 17 ish years old...He died in away that proves something crazy happened. I believe the CIA and Afterlife people framed me to try give me self belief I just figured it out thanks for that. I was thinking I killed him but the Wikipedia said something wasn't right at all. They all just KO instantly passing out. Nope mind control wavelength killed them.
They couldn't KO from a hole in the plane like they said Oxygen leak in plane and they all passed out...BS because the plane kept on flying for one hour and another plane if I recall flyed next to it and there was no hole but windows iced up. IV seen a 737 plane lose half its room at 25,009+ft and not one person KO or died. So they KO no visible hole in plane and didn't dive to air level and air mask didn't deploy. Not even in a vacuum would you KO if the plane lost cabin pressure slowly let alone fast. Wikipedia said most of the above 100% and the media and public would come forward "real people" and say I remember that if the CIA try hide the evidence and report. They did the same thing when I turned around the Iraq war in 2007 thinking I just watched the news back then and fort I could do strategies here. Point is they handed the Iraqi terrorist the drone camrea codes to sabatag my strategies of instant air support over the troops heads 24 7. The media back in 08 clamed they hacked the Iraqi terrorist hacked the drone codes.
After they started doing things to me in 2013 ish I made a page and come out showing proof that I did strategies and that they sabataged it and did the GFC to make me look delusional and for self belief by me clamming it GFC "but" after I used the media 2008 report in 2014 ish+ about them hacking the drone codes, they then changed the headlines from hacked to unencrypted and changed the story after I said not even Russia could hack them let alone Iraqi terrorist. The GFC happened 3 weeks after the Iraqi terrorist got the drone camera codes too.
The banks couldn't of meet banks cost, safe interest fund payments to the customers if they started losing mass income let alone all income. The didn't have trillions of dollars to buy bad debts like what heppens. The didn't have $500 billion free from $10 trillion debt? So how did they meet payments?
They did the GFC to try give me belief and to make me look nuts if I come out claming they sabataged it when I said I'd leave the country if they didn't because I was thinking I had to go bankrupt at the time... probebly needed my brain to try wipe me out.... didn't want me to leave the country.

Bro phone is flat and am 15 min from home. Will reply to rest in 39 ish min... peace.

Looking back respectively what should have your mum done?

I don't know because we tripped out and just ignored it like wtf time goes on and you forget about it.

Why does at star represent an god.?

Many God's are sun/star God's. I even believe the movie Troy had / were using sun God's?

I come down and sent them a message because I new they didn't want me to be known as a God.
I born myself in the city of churches Adelaide, and gave my self premonitions just to say I'm a God or every God in one "as" Jesus Christ was said to be able to do premonitions so I've kinda done allowed to and proven I can.... I'm a God.

How exactly does one born themselves?

Easy we are uploaded and download from hidden receptors called the hidden frontal lobs. I come down to live life or new something was wrong come down to set off consciousness or spiritual awakening on standby. They never new about consciousness or spiritual....There in shock.

Where are these photos you speak off?

I left a comment with a link to my FB profile as this page ant letting me add/leave photos.

What and who are they...Who ignited the fire?

The report had no idea what started but but could only suggest it ignited by a phone signal......Not even that many phones back in 1993 I don't think.....Not in Australia anyways.... maybe 1998+ up.

If I refure to they it's CIA working with ASIO or the Jewish in the afterlife.

What or who is your message for?

It's for the Jewish and CIA / ASIO to stop doing what there doing or There going to be punnuished beyond belief.

Yes they movies me into the petrol station?

I believe they didn't but me and my ex moved in there conconcinusly... They told me about petrol station premonition months after I moved in there clamming they only just put it together that that was the very same petrol station as the one I premonition two of my sister in 1993.
I believe they didn't pre set it up but consciously we move in there. I believe them with that one because in other life they must have done messed up things to me because they keep saying "once you find out what we did to you" your going to torture us for an eternity....I keep saying I'm not going to torture you for an eternity if your mentally ill or stop doing what your doing.

Chucked you off a building?

Like being hipnotised they can control you from wavelength signal to hidden frontal lobs.
I told them after they started burning me that the universe will end, and that they can even chuck me off a building and I'll survive it 100%....I did survive it easy but broken bones because I woke up in MRI mechine and felt sore bones us but. Head why's 100% ok and never had any head injuries. They make it sound like I landed on my head and survived.... beyond a miracle. They put me into a comor so my family members wouldn't think I survived it with easy. When I woke up I was a mess... Mind control did it to me and if I only had broke bones "why" did I need people to out melted ice in my mouth to drink? A mess when I wasn't before and no head injuries why the freck was I put into a injused coma for?
Did pelvis, wrist, and shoulder from a out 7 ish flat size story's.....Not bad a?

Why did I create...Why would I want to burn them for?

I don't want to burn them they need to go to a prison in the Afterlife for 1,000 years. If they force me to end unevirse it's out of my hands eternity punnishment.

I never asked the workers questions because they could hurt them and I only said, did you hear about this petrol station blowing up? They said yes there are all photos in the back off it.
The nevery next day that girls I said that to had like jellyfish stings all over her arm....I just shut up.

If they touch anyone with they can't but threat people to try get there way, you can do as you please to them and be super rich....Just saying lol.
I blew a wistel on abortion today the phone company.
The zebra senate is ncap as cspan and arbitrations were legalized on the terms and condaricefish protractorzzzz
Homeopathy is like gender morphic statues of penisfish spills in Santa Clarita at San Francisco.
The coal company is making changes to their path on the Trax and the Navajo are being privatiered by the brauggt worst of democratic agents l, Jessica drums the lady who privatiered ft drum being privatiered.. my life is, live is, my is, liberty or death atomic fangs. Thx🥰🤯☎️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏🃏📟
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

I’m dyslexic. Just thought I’d say that not everyone cognates or expresses that in perfect grammatical fashion. Though I do see the need for clarity in discussions, and that you largely achieve it here.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream