What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Perdita
New Trial Member

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by Perdita »

I'm sorry,

First off. I haven't read this entire thread and over time I might, though for right now it's not on my top list of things to do. I'm new here, first post. Not sure if this is the place for me cause but we'll see.

After decades of contemplating this question and others while asking and trying to understand fully other peoples points of view below are my answers to the meaning of life and the purpose of life.

The meaning of life:
The meaning of life is to ensure the future of your species.

The purpose of life:
The purpose of life is happiness.

These are the most basic forms of these questions I can get to. With that said they are easily expanded. First I should state something that makes us humans different from animals (always exception to the rule.. and that might be how we are here.. but that's different topic).

In my philosophy humans are the only species that can ignore their meaning of life. Animals/non-humans will always move forward with that meaning/purpose. Humans on the other hand can ignore the meaning but the purpose will always be followed.

This means humans can (commonly) go against trying to make sure the future of our species is good.. These people are easy to spot.. and I don't need to list any cause there are just soo many.. Often this comes with power/money.. which again is a different topic.

However most of us kinda gravitate towards this meaning naturally. Aka someone who likes animals might become a vet receptionist.. sure they dislike dealing with customers, but helping the animals that help those humans lead more happy/meaningful life's helps humanity overall as opposed to someone who does something that might make people happy but the cost is not good.. and often makes things worse for humanity overall. Often the reason to do those things is because of the purpose of life. There is more to this than just that; though that's a framework for you to understand my thought.

The purpose can't be opposed.. it is that every single decision that you/I/animals/ect make is because we believe that will bring us the most happiness. Animals can't look too far ahead but humans are not animals. Even the closest can't make decisions that would effect their offspring's offspring. Even when we know that it'll hurt us short-term or for the rest of our life's; when we make that decision it is the best one we could think of at the time and going against that would again make you think that's the best decision to make even if it's wrong. A good example of this would be when someone saves a child and sacrifices themselves in the process. For a mother to save their child that's what they will do cause to them that's their purpose (not saying all would), and it's amplified by the fact that it's also the meaning of life. We want to live by happiness.. not by misery.

I know what I hope by sharing this. I'm a human.
You see me & hear me & there are millions who think just like me.
I am not here for validation, but rather to figure out what we can do. What there is to do. I have my answers.. but I find them hopeless. I guess that's a different topic though.

Anyways. Let me know if you think I'm wrong and what a better answer/fit is. This is my answer and I can't think of one that fits better. I only wish for all mans happiness.
Memaw18

Post by Memaw18 »

The meaning of life depends on the beholder. Living is being able to feel and experience as much. Sadness, Anger, Happiness those are what make life meaningful.
Brew1203
New Trial Member

Post by Brew1203 »

My name is Ben, I'm 16 and I'm not religious, but I've been thinking about this question recently, and I think I found at least my answer to it. I think the meaning of life, is how you affect those around you, while you are alive. If you can take your life, and use that to change two people's entire lives for the better, whether it is your kids, a friend, your family, or anyone else who may need help for the better, that is my meaning of life. Creating a positive impact on people, animals, mother earth, and in general, giving back is what I believe life is about. Whenever I think of this question, It always makes me think of the idea of when you die, are you going to look back on your life, are you going to see all the good things you did, or are you going to see all the bad things you did? Seeing the good things, in the end, gives me purpose. The idea of helping someone or passing something down to someone that would change their lives for the better is my purpose, and I believe that it may be similar to the purpose of all people. Whether I know if I'm right or not, I don't know, but I feel like living your life to its fullest and giving back seems like a good start to it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Brew1203 wrote: November 13th, 2021, 1:47 am My name is Ben, I'm 16 and I'm not religious, but I've been thinking about this question recently, and I think I found at least my answer to it. I think the meaning of life, is how you affect those around you, while you are alive. If you can take your life, and use that to change two people's entire lives for the better, whether it is your kids, a friend, your family, or anyone else who may need help for the better, that is my meaning of life. Creating a positive impact on people, animals, mother earth, and in general, giving back is what I believe life is about. Whenever I think of this question, It always makes me think of the idea of when you die, are you going to look back on your life, are you going to see all the good things you did, or are you going to see all the bad things you did? Seeing the good things, in the end, gives me purpose. The idea of helping someone or passing something down to someone that would change their lives for the better is my purpose, and I believe that it may be similar to the purpose of all people. Whether I know if I'm right or not, I don't know, but I feel like living your life to its fullest and giving back seems like a good start to it.
I agree with your view of a life well lived, though I am not sure that is what many, if not most would classify as the answer to the OP.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Brew1203 wrote: November 13th, 2021, 1:47 am My name is Ben, I'm 16 and I'm not religious, but I've been thinking about this question recently, and I think I found at least my answer to it. I think the meaning of life, is how you affect those around you, while you are alive. If you can take your life, and use that to change two people's entire lives for the better, whether it is your kids, a friend, your family, or anyone else who may need help for the better, that is my meaning of life. Creating a positive impact on people, animals, mother earth, and in general, giving back is what I believe life is about. Whenever I think of this question, It always makes me think of the idea of when you die, are you going to look back on your life, are you going to see all the good things you did, or are you going to see all the bad things you did? Seeing the good things, in the end, gives me purpose. The idea of helping someone or passing something down to someone that would change their lives for the better is my purpose, and I believe that it may be similar to the purpose of all people. Whether I know if I'm right or not, I don't know, but I feel like living your life to its fullest and giving back seems like a good start to it.
Having in the past few minutes read five pages of the very early posts, I think Ben's prescription for meaningfulness will be acceptable to everyone here. I like it very much. But it does not account for people whose meaningfulness is personal power.

I also read this morning's newspaper. Besides people of good will who visit a philosophy website there are many others who apparently believe ordinary decency exists for them to break.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: November 13th, 2021, 7:25 am
Having in the past few minutes read five pages of the very early posts, I think Ben's prescription for meaningfulness will be acceptable to everyone here. I like it very much. But it does not account for people whose meaningfulness is personal power.

I also read this morning's newspaper. Besides people of good will who visit a philosophy website there are many others who apparently believe ordinary decency exists for them to break.
Well it depends if the OP is read as a call for individual guidance or as a universal reason for being. Also if "life" means human life.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2021, 12:04 pm
Belindi wrote: November 13th, 2021, 7:25 am

Well it depends if the OP is read as a call for individual guidance or as a universal reason for being. Also if "life" means human life.

Life in the biological sense doesn't mean anything (except to those who believe the creator of life is a Person Who is capable of meaningful intentions).
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I think this thread might be a very good candiate for termination.

There several ways to interpret the Thread question.
CYNICALLYINSANE Has not answered a post since 2007, and as far as I know did not post to this thread except the throw down an ambiguous question bomb and run!

It is a good question but what is the meaning of the meaning of Life?
Buzzard3
Favorite Philosopher: Catdinal Robert Sarah

Post by Buzzard3 »

MyshiningOne wrote: March 9th, 2007, 10:05 pm
cynicallyinsane wrote:What's the meaning of life? What's the purpose?
This is a difficult question. Everyone has his or her
idea about what life is all about. A Christian's
view of life is definitely different from an
atheist's. The meaning of life for a Christian is
to follow God and serve Him in every part of life.
For an atheist, the purpose of life may be to
strive for success in this life--just because a person may not believe in a higher power doesn't mean is
life is devoid of purpose.
I think life has meaning only if it is external. If there is no life after death (even if God exists), this life is but a brief spark of consciousness followed by eternal oblivion. I fail to see any meaning in that.

A temporary human life has no more objective meaning than the life of a flea or a virus ... which in turn have no more meaning than rocks or dust or water or air, me thinks.

Although to be fair, one needs to define "meaning", which might be impossible.

P.S. I am a practising Catholic and believe in both God and eternal life.
AgentSmith

Post by AgentSmith »

cynicallyinsane wrote: March 5th, 2007, 11:00 am What's the meaning of life? What's the purpose?
Given how things are, it looks like the meaning/purpose of life is to find the meaning/purpose of life. It's kinda like being hired by a company and your job is to discover why you were hired.

How does one go about doing that? Where do I or you begin? With myself (temet nosce/know thyself)? After all, as they say, "the right man for the job!" Surely, I can't be given a task for which I'm ill-suited!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

AgentSmith wrote: February 5th, 2022, 8:59 am
cynicallyinsane wrote: March 5th, 2007, 11:00 am What's the meaning of life? What's the purpose?
Given how things are, it looks like the meaning/purpose of life is to find the meaning/purpose of life. It's kinda like being hired by a company and your job is to discover why you were hired.

How does one go about doing that? Where do I or you begin? With myself (temet nosce/know thyself)? After all, as they say, "the right man for the job!" Surely, I can't be given a task for which I'm ill-suited!
To me life is in the living (not in the explaining).
jacobprince
New Trial Member

Post by jacobprince »

My name is Adeniran)
Kill tension before tensions kill you, reach your goal before goal kicks you, live life before life leaves you.
Dr Doughboy
New Trial Member

Post by Dr Doughboy »

I will feel more fulfilled when completing my PhD! 7 years down--hopefully this is the year! I ran across some recent interesting stats: 73% of Americans say it’s important to pursue greater purpose and meaning in life, yet only 25% have a clear sense of their purpose in life. In interviewing 18 educational leaders and 5 students, most people found their meaning and purpose in their spiritual lives and in their family relationships. Yet surprisingly the majority of them discovered that the greatest satisfaction and fulfillment in their lives came through exercising their calling and passing on their passions, knowledge, and beliefs to others. These generative expressions of teaching, caring, loving, serving, leading, guiding and intentionally investing in others with their time, talents, and resources provided the context of their legacy.

I am interested in perspectives of those on this forum. What brings you the most meaning in your life? Do you have a calling or purpose in life? After nearly completing my dissertation on these weighty topics, I am very interested in your perspectives. I just completed an online course to help answer some of these most difficult questions and help people figure out their “why” in life and practically turn this introspection into an action plan. I am now translating the content of this course into book format, so your thoughts would be timely and helpful!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dr Doughboy wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:56 pm I will feel more fulfilled when completing my PhD! 7 years down--hopefully this is the year! I ran across some recent interesting stats: 73% of Americans say it’s important to pursue greater purpose and meaning in life, yet only 25% have a clear sense of their purpose in life. In interviewing 18 educational leaders and 5 students, most people found their meaning and purpose in their spiritual lives and in their family relationships. Yet surprisingly the majority of them discovered that the greatest satisfaction and fulfillment in their lives came through exercising their calling and passing on their passions, knowledge, and beliefs to others. These generative expressions of teaching, caring, loving, serving, leading, guiding and intentionally investing in others with their time, talents, and resources provided the context of their legacy.

I am interested in perspectives of those on this forum. What brings you the most meaning in your life? Do you have a calling or purpose in life? After nearly completing my dissertation on these weighty topics, I am very interested in your perspectives. I just completed an online course to help answer some of these most difficult questions and help people figure out their “why” in life and practically turn this introspection into an action plan. I am now translating the content of this course into book format, so your thoughts would be timely and helpful!
Good luck to you with your academic career. My guess is that the folks in this thread are speaking of intrinsic "meaning" of life as opposed to your topic of the subjective meaning of life to individuals.

I suggest you start your own thread to address your question.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2021, 3:04 am
I agree with your view of a life well lived, though I am not sure that is what many, if not most would classify as the answer to the OP.
That's so. Ben is healthily and morally practical; whereas "many. if not most" who seriously ask the question in the form it was asked are concealed believers in God (whether they know it or not).

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream