What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 10:04 amI rarely wore a lab coat ...
Sy Borg wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:17 pm Only when the cameras are rolling...
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 25th, 2023, 10:15 am ...when a lab coat is far from the only prop. I do all my own 'stunts', and am available for weddings, funerals and prom nights!

Sy Borg wrote: April 25th, 2023, 5:06 pm Reporter: What's that machine?

Scientist: It's a [x] but it not relevant to these particular studies.

Reporter: Never mind, drag that thing over here because it has lots of lights and buttons.
And now we return, quite surprisingly, to real life. I remember when the media were permitted to report on the sonar systems I was working on. They refused to use the actual sonar system as a background, because it didn't have enough "lights and buttons"! I believe they later substituted a box with the necessary amount of bells and whistles to 'correctly' represent what they were reporting on to their audience.

Many years before, at the York International Youth Arts Festival in 1971, part of the City of York's 1900th anniversary celebrations, I recall the media trying to coerce us into "freaking out" (their words), dancing wildly in the street, acting as though we were drugged to the eyeballs, to show their audience "what the festival is really all about". N.B. while I was at the festival, I neither saw nor took any drugs. Sadly. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 26th, 2023, 10:10 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 10:04 amI rarely wore a lab coat ...
Sy Borg wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:17 pm Only when the cameras are rolling...
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 25th, 2023, 10:15 am ...when a lab coat is far from the only prop. I do all my own 'stunts', and am available for weddings, funerals and prom nights!

Sy Borg wrote: April 25th, 2023, 5:06 pm Reporter: What's that machine?

Scientist: It's a [x] but it not relevant to these particular studies.

Reporter: Never mind, drag that thing over here because it has lots of lights and buttons.
And now we return, quite surprisingly, to real life. I remember when the media were permitted to report on the sonar systems I was working on. They refused to use the actual sonar system as a background, because it didn't have enough "lights and buttons"! I believe they later substituted a box with the necessary amount of bells and whistles to 'correctly' represent what they were reporting on to their audience.

Many years before, at the York International Youth Arts Festival in 1971, part of the City of York's 1900th anniversary celebrations, I recall the media trying to coerce us into "freaking out" (their words), dancing wildly in the street, acting as though we were drugged to the eyeballs, to show their audience "what the festival is really all about". N.B. while I was at the festival, I neither saw nor took any drugs. Sadly. 😉
Too funny! I half choked on my muesli. I also idea of you dancing around wildly as though off your head, hard as it is to imagine :)

Seriously, the way the media has so long routinely mislead the public in so many little ways, it's no surprise that societies are falling prey to absurd conspiracy theories and delusional thinking.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 26th, 2023, 10:10 am Many years before, at the York International Youth Arts Festival in 1971, part of the City of York's 1900th anniversary celebrations, I recall the media trying to coerce us into "freaking out" (their words), dancing wildly in the street, acting as though we were drugged to the eyeballs, to show their audience "what the festival is really all about". N.B. while I was at the festival, I neither saw nor took any drugs. Sadly. 😉
Sy Borg wrote: April 26th, 2023, 4:37 pm I also [like] idea of you dancing around wildly as though off your head, hard as it is to imagine :)
It has happened in the past, just occasionally 😉, but not there or then. As bolshy teenagers, we told them what we thought of their attempted misrepresentations, and refused (loudly) to coöperate.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 27th, 2023, 11:19 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 26th, 2023, 10:10 am Many years before, at the York International Youth Arts Festival in 1971, part of the City of York's 1900th anniversary celebrations, I recall the media trying to coerce us into "freaking out" (their words), dancing wildly in the street, acting as though we were drugged to the eyeballs, to show their audience "what the festival is really all about". N.B. while I was at the festival, I neither saw nor took any drugs. Sadly. 😉
Sy Borg wrote: April 26th, 2023, 4:37 pm I also [like] idea of you dancing around wildly as though off your head, hard as it is to imagine :)
It has happened in the past, just occasionally 😉, but not there or then. As bolshy teenagers, we told them what we thought of their attempted misrepresentations, and refused (loudly) to coöperate.
If they want you to make fools of yourselves for the camera, they can pay you to do so like so many others are paid to play the fool for the camera.
Barkun

Post by Barkun »

First comes the problem or the sum, prior to any major objectives or minor tasks. Our problem, as far as we know, is the universe. It already has a solution. One way to look at life's meaning (i.e. the meaning of life) is to ascribe it it's value concerning the solution to the universal problem. Another way to look at life's meaning is introspectively, what it's like to exist in life, as life. That's a different association, it's answer is purely subjective and is not necessarily grounded in logic.
PepeBrainjuice
New Trial Member

Post by PepeBrainjuice »

I used chatGPT to make sure that we are asking the right question.
The best answer I got from ChatGPT was
What could motivate a soul to be associated with a human body - Even for a short period of time
Scientists say that the universe is made of 5% of matter and about 27% of dark matter and 68% of dark energy.
Our body is made of matter. We get conscious of the world through the information we get from our senses. That limits us to 5% of the world.
The soul is not limited to those 5%
Plato's allegory of the cave comes to mind. You only have to replace the cave with the human body.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

PepeBrainjuice wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:51 pm I used chatGPT to make sure that we are asking the right question.
The best answer I got from ChatGPT was
What could motivate a soul to be associated with a human body - Even for a short period of time
Scientists say that the universe is made of 5% of matter and about 27% of dark matter and 68% of dark energy.
Our body is made of matter. We get conscious of the world through the information we get from our senses. That limits us to 5% of the world.
The soul is not limited to those 5%
Plato's allegory of the cave comes to mind. You only have to replace the cave with the human body.
I am not sure if the blank quote is a mistake or ironic. If the latter, nice work! :)
Barkun

Post by Barkun »

Life has no meaning, it is not art but rather something above what a person can produce freely, without regarding law. It is a certified model that can be interpreted many ways, but only one correctly - not regarding what it means to one, but what it is to all(the correct answer to 'what is life?').
whateverist
Favorite Philosopher: McGilchrist

Post by whateverist »

Barkun wrote: May 12th, 2023, 3:14 pm Life has no meaning, it is not art but rather something above what a person can produce freely, without regarding law. It is a certified model that can be interpreted many ways, but only one correctly - not regarding what it means to one, but what it is to all(the correct answer to 'what is life?').
I think we are free to (and also constrained to) decide for ourselves what that meaning is but I don't think it is something we just make up any old way as a lark. I'd say that meaning is something discovered as we go along in the course of living. It isn't so much up to us as it is incumbent upon us to take note of what pulls us toward it and energizes us in so doing.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

whateverist wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:31 pm
Barkun wrote: May 12th, 2023, 3:14 pm Life has no meaning, it is not art but rather something above what a person can produce freely, without regarding law. It is a certified model that can be interpreted many ways, but only one correctly - not regarding what it means to one, but what it is to all(the correct answer to 'what is life?').
I think we are free to (and also constrained to) decide for ourselves what that meaning is but I don't think it is something we just make up any old way as a lark. I'd say that meaning is something discovered as we go along in the course of living. It isn't so much up to us as it is incumbent upon us to take note of what pulls us toward it and energizes us in so doing.
It's an issue of perspective. Usually the title question is asked from the perspective of the universe (external), whereas life only has meaning from our personal (internal) perspective.
"As usual... it depends."
whateverist

Post by whateverist »

LuckyR wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:51 pm
It's an issue of perspective. Usually the title question is asked from the perspective of the universe (external), whereas life only has meaning from our personal (internal) perspective.
Yes indeed. It is hard to imagine meaning from an external perspective unless you see the cosmos as in some sense animate (an idea I am open to but haven’t imagined in much detail). Can you elaborate on how you envision a universal sense of meaning?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

whateverist wrote: June 21st, 2023, 2:46 pm
LuckyR wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:51 pm
Yes indeed. It is hard to imagine meaning from an external perspective unless you see the cosmos as in some sense animate (an idea I am open to but haven’t imagined in much detail). Can you elaborate on how you envision a universal sense of meaning?
Well the central tenet of Humanism is that human life is the starting point for morality and philosophy. Of course in Theism gods are all powerful and well beyond the grasp of humans BUT humans are the god's chosen, therefore humans have meaning (given by gods).
"As usual... it depends."
whateverist

Post by whateverist »

Well I'm pretty comfortable with a Humanist foundation but I am aesthetically open to whatever symbolic, poetic or mythic theme might turn up as significant in my direct experience. I don't use philosophy to screen my experience. It is more like philosophy has to square itself with my experience to maintain credibility. Mostly it succeeds.
PepeBrainjuice
New Trial Member

Post by PepeBrainjuice »

A better way to phrase the question could be: "What could motivate a soul to get associated with a human body?"
Our brain represents only 2% of our weight but uses 20% of our energy. That should make anybody suspicious. Could this energy be used at night by the soul? Could it be processed into consciousness? The most important part of our life could be at night and we may not be conscious of it.
We are walking in the fog - conscious only of what is close to us - not sure in which direction to go. We focus on details. The first step is to get conscious of our limitations and push the envelope.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

whateverist wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:31 pm I'd say that meaning is something discovered as we go along in the course of living.
Aside: "Discovered", yes, but also created too, I think?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream