The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
ToxicGold420
New Trial Member

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by ToxicGold420 » March 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm

I believe that there is no meaning to life, we just live day by day and then we die. We weren't put here for a reason but we just try to make the best of it.

Freudian Monkey

Post by Freudian Monkey » March 31st, 2019, 9:16 pm

I nowadays tend to think that life is a simulation and our experiences are perhaps being "recorded" for one reason or another. It might be the Buddhist concept of universe experiencing itself through our lives or something of that nature. But I don't believe good or evil exist - there are just experiencing individuals thrown around by different internal and external circumstances. I like to think that everything we experience throughout our lives is valuable - our experiences are unique due to their subjective and temporal nature. So it doesn't really matter whether one lives a happy or a miserable life, as long as he's witnessing as it unfolds. I find this a rather hopeful perspective. It might not be the true state of things, but it works for me right now.

Newme

Post by Newme » April 28th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Belindi wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 9:39 am
itt wrote:
When you are solving a problem you must look at it without having any preconceived idea of an answer to that problem. You must clear your mind of everything you know about the subject. Remember that previous theories, assumptions and facts could be wrong.
Reassess everything with an open mind. Do not make a conclusion to what the answer is until you have looked at the problem from every possible prospective. You must look at it in every possible way for every possible answer. Once you have run out of different answers than look at why you came up with those answers. Reassess every answer, combine every answer, dissect every answer.
Remember the problem might have more than one correct answer or the correct answer might be a combination of the different answers that you have come up with.
If you try to solve a problem with an open mind the true answer will reveal itself.
While it's good to aim to be as objective as possible it's impossible to not be subject to prejudices; after all you are not a newborn babe.

It's also impossible to look at the problem from every possible perspective . God is said to be omnisicent and there are no other contenders.

Not every problem has an answer .It's healthier to accept that you cannot know anything at all for sure.
I agree for the most part.
For the majority of countless daily decisions, there is not such exhaustive consideration of possibilities - and if there were, we might be paralyzed by constant skepticism and consideration. For big decisions that involve influential consequences, exploring many perspectives makes sense. Yet, generally, conscious value systems allow us to establish routines that spend our limited time living more than speculating about living. Values give us a sense of personal hierarchal meaning - and though ideally they adapt - they facilitate more opportunities to experience rather than just ponder possibilities. This suggests experience is more meaningful than considering possible meaning, which may be debatable.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus

Pantagruel
New Trial Member

Post by Pantagruel » July 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm

Life may be meaningful without "having" a meaning. Life is a challenge, a project.

PhilosophyForLife
New Trial Member

Post by PhilosophyForLife » July 15th, 2019, 7:02 am

This thread is huge! I read from the beginning until 14 of April 2014, therefore my comment refers only to those posts I have read. I will continue reading, and will probably post again, but it will take months.

Here is my contribution.
It seems to me that the majority of the answers can be grouped into A) either life has meaning and one has to find it or B) life does not have a meaning and it is up to one to create it. Within these alternatives there is the series of individual opinions which constitute the majority of the posts. Therefore, reading this thread creates possibly only confusion because not one opinion is discussed thoroughly with rigor. A philosopher does not just give an opinion; and a philosophical discussion is a thorough examination of one opinion otherwise it become a babel of opinions. I would discourage any intellectually unarmed student in philosophy to read this thread.

The ‘meaning’ of life presupposes that life is defined by something other than itself. Some posts have expressed the idea that there is no meaning to life, in the sense that life does not need something else to be understood or justified. Think of this: when you search the meaning of a word in a dictionary you get another series of word that define the first one. Definitions are important in philosophy, as Socrates has shown in his elenctic questioning, but in philosophy one does not seek the same type of definition one can find in a dictionary. So, as it as already been said, the first step is the to discuss in order to rationally clarify ‘what is meaning?’ Do we know what are we talking about when we ask what is the meaning of life? If yes, then it should be possible to ascertain by reason what this meaning is. From the answers I read, one could infer that ‘meaning’ can be different things, purpose, motivation, aim, purpose, goal, etc. The point is: if we go on expressing our feelings and giving our individual opinions, we can reach only a statistical view of the meaning of life. Is this what philosophy does? We should aim at an agreement of what is ‘meaning’ and then discuss the argument(s) in favor of the hypothesis that express that meaning of life. We cannot discuss of the function of a tree if we do not have an agreement on what a tree is, can we? So we should define what the meaning of life refers to. Some expressed the idea that life is energy. So should we rephrase the question and say: What is the meaning of energy? Some others said that ‘meaning’ is purpose, so should we discuss about the rephrased question ‘What is the purpose of energy?’

If each opinion given starts from a different concept of meaning and of life then there will be, as it is the case, only opinions and no advancement in what we are looking for as an answer. It is very well that everybody can express what they think or what they feel, but doing simply that it is not a philosophical demarche.

Having said that, I must say that many answers have captivated my interest for their depth and articulation or simply because they made me think of a new perspective. Nevertheless, each of them would require an rational examination to decide how to integrate them into a higher and unifying understanding.

Have a great day.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » July 15th, 2019, 3:35 pm

PhilosophyForLife wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 7:02 am
This thread is huge! I read from the beginning until 14 of April 2014, therefore my comment refers only to those posts I have read. I will continue reading, and will probably post again, but it will take months.

Here is my contribution.
It seems to me that the majority of the answers can be grouped into A) either life has meaning and one has to find it or B) life does not have a meaning and it is up to one to create it. Within these alternatives there is the series of individual opinions which constitute the majority of the posts. Therefore, reading this thread creates possibly only confusion because not one opinion is discussed thoroughly with rigor. A philosopher does not just give an opinion; and a philosophical discussion is a thorough examination of one opinion otherwise it become a babel of opinions. I would discourage any intellectually unarmed student in philosophy to read this thread.

The ‘meaning’ of life presupposes that life is defined by something other than itself. Some posts have expressed the idea that there is no meaning to life, in the sense that life does not need something else to be understood or justified. Think of this: when you search the meaning of a word in a dictionary you get another series of word that define the first one. Definitions are important in philosophy, as Socrates has shown in his elenctic questioning, but in philosophy one does not seek the same type of definition one can find in a dictionary. So, as it as already been said, the first step is the to discuss in order to rationally clarify ‘what is meaning?’ Do we know what are we talking about when we ask what is the meaning of life? If yes, then it should be possible to ascertain by reason what this meaning is. From the answers I read, one could infer that ‘meaning’ can be different things, purpose, motivation, aim, purpose, goal, etc. The point is: if we go on expressing our feelings and giving our individual opinions, we can reach only a statistical view of the meaning of life. Is this what philosophy does? We should aim at an agreement of what is ‘meaning’ and then discuss the argument(s) in favor of the hypothesis that express that meaning of life. We cannot discuss of the function of a tree if we do not have an agreement on what a tree is, can we? So we should define what the meaning of life refers to. Some expressed the idea that life is energy. So should we rephrase the question and say: What is the meaning of energy? Some others said that ‘meaning’ is purpose, so should we discuss about the rephrased question ‘What is the purpose of energy?’

If each opinion given starts from a different concept of meaning and of life then there will be, as it is the case, only opinions and no advancement in what we are looking for as an answer. It is very well that everybody can express what they think or what they feel, but doing simply that it is not a philosophical demarche.

Having said that, I must say that many answers have captivated my interest for their depth and articulation or simply because they made me think of a new perspective. Nevertheless, each of them would require an rational examination to decide how to integrate them into a higher and unifying understanding.

Have a great day.
I too have difficulty analyzing comments that stand on the unsure footing of sloppy definitions of terms. Kudos to you for attempting the long slog of trying to read > 1000 comments on a topic that has defied greater minds than ours for millennia.
"As usual... it depends."

Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 » July 17th, 2019, 8:51 am

ToxicGold420 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm
I believe that there is no meaning to life..

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » July 18th, 2019, 8:02 am

Like ants, we are born restless so we work off backsides off (or abdomens in the case of ants) and are driven to action to reduce agitation.

So life tends to be best when one has a project. Enthusiasm is one thing that eases the internal fire that drives us and won't let us rest.

RJG

Post by RJG » July 18th, 2019, 9:40 am

Greta wrote:So life tends to be best when one has a project.
Agreed. Without a "carrot" to chase, life becomes meaningless.

PhilosophyForLife
New Trial Member

Post by PhilosophyForLife » July 22nd, 2019, 1:20 am

If we follow the Socratic teaching, the moral perfection is itself what he takes to make life worth living. I wrote an article which aims at a rapid scan of this topic from the angle of the relationship of the individual with the external world. This article is about 1400 words long and for that reason I will not post it here, but if you are interested I can give you the link to the website where you can read it from. Maybe you will find a stimulus to your reflection on the meaning of life. Have a great day!