The January Philosophy Book of the Month 2019 is The Runaway Species. Discuss The Runaway Species now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.) Discuss The Fourth Age now.

What is the reason for Human existence?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Gordon975

Re: What is the reason for Human existence?

Post by Gordon975 » June 22nd, 2018, 3:04 am

It is believed that in the simplest bacteria gene there are 130 KBP that is 130000 pairs of DNA these have to exist in a certain sequence for the bacteria to exist as a successful life form. Quite how many combinations within a bacteria gene of pairs of DNA would make a viable as a life form I can’t be sure, I would speculate it to be less than 10 %, based on this, the possibility that by chance a viable bacteria would form must be in the region of several billion to 1, a successfully created bacteria would then have to thrive in what would probably be very hostile conditions. I am not a geneticist or a mathematician skilled in the art of permutation, combination or chance I will have to leave that to others, but I would say that due to the complexity of even the simplest gene the creation of life is potentially a once in a universe occurrence, however life could exist every where within the universe, once started, if spread to potentially inhabitable worlds by intellectually evolved life forms such as the human one. Therefore my personal opinion for what its worth is that life exists in most places in the universe that contains liquid water but probably only at the bacteria stage of evolution.

UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien » February 8th, 2019, 7:36 am

Let me re-analyze the original question " What is the reason for Human existence?"

First I would like to ask whether Human existence, or any existence, requires reason :?:

Can existence exist with no reason?

Can you imagine an existent state not based upon reason?

I know there are some that believe that the universe and existence begins from almost nothing and then
evolves into a logical state with Man at the top of the food chain defining all its logic and meanings.

But you still must ask yourself - Where and when did the reason become manifest?
And could the universe have ever existed if there was no reason for it :?:

So here we are with numerous sciences, religions and philosophies to define the current world
- seems to me though, that without a primal reason backing the existent state, there would be
no existent state - Another words the reason for Human Existence, and for Existence itself
is REASON - at the primal level reason is the driving force of all existence :idea:

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » February 10th, 2019, 2:21 am

UniversalAlien wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 7:36 am
Let me re-analyze the original question " What is the reason for Human existence?"

First I would like to ask whether Human existence, or any existence, requires reason :?:

Can existence exist with no reason?

Can you imagine an existent state not based upon reason?

I know there are some that believe that the universe and existence begins from almost nothing and then
evolves into a logical state with Man at the top of the food chain defining all its logic and meanings.

But you still must ask yourself - Where and when did the reason become manifest?
And could the universe have ever existed if there was no reason for it :?:

So here we are with numerous sciences, religions and philosophies to define the current world
- seems to me though, that without a primal reason backing the existent state, there would be
no existent state - Another words the reason for Human Existence, and for Existence itself
is REASON - at the primal level reason is the driving force of all existence :idea:
Well, none of us were consulted before the universe existed to document the reason, therefore by definition if there's a reason (which is a pretty big leap) it is a post hoc rationalization of a "reason".

In addition some hear "reason", and think "cause", I assume both you and the OP mean: reason.
"As usual... it depends."

UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien » February 10th, 2019, 5:43 am

LuckyR wrote:
In addition some hear "reason", and think "cause", I assume both you and the OP mean: reason.
For the record I am the OP.

In the last couple of years I have become fascinated by the philosophical statements of Max Planck, Noble
Prize winner and one of the founders of Quantum Mechanics.

For example this is one of my favorites:

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck

The thing is though - How do you define consciousness? - That is one of the big issues on another post here
on this forum that has been going on for many years:

"Can a man-made computer become conscious?"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19&start=3345

I don't believe there is a solid, irrefutable definition of consciousness that all would agree upon.

What do we really mean by consciousness? - You can find many meanings and interpretations.

But let's replace the word 'consciousness' in the Max Planck quote given above and see what happens.

"I regard Reason as fundamental, I regard all that exists as derivative from Reason. We cannot get
behind Reason. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates Reason."
- UniversalAlien

Of course you might say that Reason, like consciousness, is open to interpretation
- Still as a fundamental, it would seem to me that reason, and the ability to reason, is the fundamental
first - consciousness then might follow.

As far as cause goes, thiests might like my view - But let me be clear, I'm not postunaling a causal God
concept, even though my view allows the possibility - I'm just saying that unless we have reason
first - nothing can happen, nothing can follow.