The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Psychoactive: A Third World

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
XDredg3

Psychoactive: A Third World

Post by XDredg3 » August 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm

I experiment with my mind, but my mental illness gets in the way. Drugs, I use them. A lot often now, I'm trying to keep myself sane. I feel I'm losing the battle though, I feel though they open me up to thoughts, feelings, and creativity I would of never had. A greater connection with them, and a new out look on life; even it is just in the slightest way. The smallest colour pitch. I feel my mental illness changes my views also. Do you think mental illness goes hand in hand with seeking knowledge? Do you think it is a negative impact or a benefit? Just philosophy in general, do you think learning philosophy. Indulging so much your world becomes your veiws, what if those views are negative? Couldn't you shatter your world? Could you lose your mind, from it's actions trying to protect you from the harmful stimuli around you?
"Reflect and meditate on this teaching."

Sleeper1

Re: Psychoactive: A Third World

Post by Sleeper1 » August 9th, 2012, 12:04 am

First a big disclaimer that I cannot advise on anything from a medical standpoint. :)

I think that if any of us were to sit down with a psycho-therapist? psycho-analyst? Whoever is handing out diagnoses, and if we were to lead them down all the various spirals of thought, we could all be diagnosed as mentally ill. If you are currently using drugs, even more so. All it takes for people to question your sanity is to put them into a head space they are not comfortable with.

The bigger question is if you yourself are comfortable going where your head is taking you. From the sounds of your descriptions, perhaps not. If I find things are getting too heavy, I can try to turn it off. There is always a new way to look to give a chance for the turbulence to pass. Once you realize that no matter how many upside-down and inside-out angles you can put a perspective on things and still have no clear resolution, the world simply becomes an upside-down inside-out place to navigate. I find it's the trying to make sense of the nonsense that leads to stress, best to just ride the ambiguity.

Historically many intelligent people have been borderline crazy (that's the old term for mentally ill), so yeah there might be a connection. If it is good or bad? Well who can say. From a biological standpoint whatever promotes persistence of the species is good. From a moral standpoint, all something needs to be good is for someone to desire it.

Lots of people could have their world shattered by one thing or another. Lots of people could lose their mind. The guy who stands in the rain might get wet too. I would say as long as you captain your thoughts to relatively tranquil seas, then there is no thing out of reach from you. But if you find yourself up against the rocks, then by all means man, trim sails.

wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe » August 9th, 2012, 12:21 am

XDredg3,

It sounds like you have a psychological(not chemical) addiction to drugs to be honest. If you have preexisting mental illness it is not a good idea to take drugs, any medical doctor would second this. Sanity comes from sobriety, not a cocktail.

Do you think mental illness goes hand in hand with seeking knowledge?
No, absolutely not.
Do you think it is a negative impact or a benefit?

Mental illness is a negative by definition.

If you allow simply any thought that pops into your head become your philosophy: what you are is impulsive, not a philosopher.

Give the drugs a rest. Meditate on what you learned truly from them, it's not all junk. Artistically it can all be used, but practically the knowledge gained from drugs is small. Go camping for a while and just give your brain a rest from the drugs.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.

Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum » August 9th, 2012, 12:24 am

XDredg3 wrote:I experiment with my mind, but my mental illness gets in the way. Drugs, I use them. A lot often now, I'm trying to keep myself sane. I feel I'm losing the battle though, I feel though they open me up to thoughts, feelings, and creativity I would of never had. A greater connection with them, and a new out look on life; even it is just in the slightest way. The smallest colour pitch. I feel my mental illness changes my views also.
Do you think mental illness goes hand in hand with seeking knowledge? Do you think it is a negative impact or a benefit? Just philosophy in general, do you think learning philosophy. Indulging so much your world becomes your veiws, what if those views are negative? Couldn't you shatter your world? Could you lose your mind, from it's actions trying to protect you from the harmful stimuli around you?

The brain-based mind is organized in a modular mode with various modules which are independent and interdependent as and when the situation call for.
There is a module for seeing colors and a set of modules for seeking knowledge, plus a thousand other modules.
At the most critical stage, the independent coma module will activate to keep one last hope for survival.
There are 100 billions neurons and each neuron with up to 10,000 synapses crammed into 3+ pounds of organic matter.
As such, there is a great possibities for odd connections between the various synapses and modules.
For example in the case of synaethesia, a person can see colors when tasting due to the wrong neural connections.
In the case of brain lession and damage, all sort of abnormal brain activities can be activated.
Drugs can also change brain neural connectivities drastically for good and the worse.

Mental illness do not go hand in hand with seeking knowledge.
However certain mental illness could accidentally connect and trigger some aspects of the knowledge seeking and creativity circuits. This is the reason for the savant syndrome where one module (positive) became highly active for various reason.
Kim Peek became a human computer due to some sort of brain damage.
There are many austistics who are geniuses in certain specific fields of knowledge.
Jill Bolte experience 'nirvana' from a very severe stroke.
'Entertainment' drugs can increased brain connectivities, but can be a good or bad trip.

I think the above unplanned neural activities are likely to be negative (in the longer run) to the individual from the conventional perspective, but it is a plus to the specie.

The great question for humanity is how to exploit the expanded consciousness, accelerated capability for knowledge, creativity, genius and savant effects, etc. in a normal way with no side effects.
IMO, this is possible via philosophy (as correctly and effectively defined) with all the expanding knowledge humanity is moving in a balanced approach that is fool-proof with no side effects. Many are already into this direction and when there is a critical mass, we will be on our way to exploit the potentials of the 100 billion neurons each with 10,000 synapses.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Grecorivera5150
Favorite Philosopher: Bruce Lee

Post by Grecorivera5150 » August 9th, 2012, 9:25 am

THC induced meditations have inhanced my ability to see paradoxes. There is a danger here for individuals if you do not practice moderation. Seeing paradoxes and trying to reconcile their existence can be overwhelming emotionally. Its a lot like physical exercise in that it can be very good for you but if you do it to much it can overwhelm your body. Your heart can become very strong while your knees and back start give out. This is the dynamic that happens to me in my mind if I do not practice moderation. The parts of my mind that allow me to function emotionally and with esteem start to degrade like the knees and back. This is because the intense flow of paradoxical information does not come with any clear answers and leaves a residue of dispair when you come down. If you follow this stream of thought you can see that drugs can provide a hightened awareness but that awareness can backfire on us if we try and reconcile every single paradoxical revelation we experience. Its can be like someone sealing off the entrance to the rabbit whole with cement after you have jumped in.

XDredg3

Post by XDredg3 » August 9th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I'm Paranoid Schizophrenic, diagnosed when I was sober. I was clean for a year. Then my world just came apart, it's disjointed. So I smoke, have been the last week. I don't make philosophy about whatever thought that manifests itself. I know I'm twisted in my head, I don't act on the random thoughts that enter my mind. I just get out of that situation that produced them.

-- Updated August 25th, 2012, 8:57 am to add the following --

Hey, sorry guys. Like I said in my welcome back post I am mentally ill diganosed. I'm Paranoid Schizophrenic, I was diganosed free of drugs I went twos years on pills. Now I've been off the pills cause I lost my medical insurance, The early posts I did before now I was having an episode.

Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill » August 25th, 2012, 3:58 pm

I get the feeling you have an overactive mind. YOur tendency is to try to rationalize everything or think of everything,perhaps because you are retreating from real life communication or involvement to you inner world. That is not the worse thing to do, in my opinion, but it becomes a problem when it becomes a compulsion.

Maybe learning how to relax wihtout thinking, even if you are around other people would be good for you. Maybe you could just let go of your thoughts and focus on any outward stimul that attracts your attention. It doesn't have to be interacting with other people, if you find it too stressful, but maybe a long warm soothing bath, or walk, or swim or something that is enjoyable, so you could give your mind a rest from all that thinking...

XDredg3

Post by XDredg3 » August 25th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Logic_ill wrote:I get the feeling you have an overactive mind. YOur tendency is to try to rationalize everything or think of everything,perhaps because you are retreating from real life communication or involvement to you inner world. That is not the worse thing to do, in my opinion, but it becomes a problem when it becomes a compulsion.

Maybe learning how to relax wihtout thinking, even if you are around other people would be good for you. Maybe you could just let go of your thoughts and focus on any outward stimul that attracts your attention. It doesn't have to be interacting with other people, if you find it too stressful, but maybe a long warm soothing bath, or walk, or swim or something that is enjoyable, so you could give your mind a rest from all that thinking...

Well, we're back to 5 maybe 6 days a week at work so I'll finally have a break too, but thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

Misty
Contributor

Post by Misty » August 25th, 2012, 4:18 pm

XDredg3 wrote:I experiment with my mind, but my mental illness gets in the way. Drugs, I use them. A lot often now, I'm trying to keep myself sane. I feel I'm losing the battle though, I feel though they open me up to thoughts, feelings, and creativity I would of never had. A greater connection with them, and a new out look on life; even it is just in the slightest way. The smallest colour pitch. I feel my mental illness changes my views also. Do you think mental illness goes hand in hand with seeking knowledge? Do you think it is a negative impact or a benefit? Just philosophy in general, do you think learning philosophy. Indulging so much your world becomes your veiws, what if those views are negative? Couldn't you shatter your world? Could you lose your mind, from it's actions trying to protect you from the harmful stimuli around you?

Hello XDredge3,

Are you taking prescription medication for your illness? Do you have regular medical care? If so, do they know you take other drugs? If not, please get medical care. Don't self medicate. Keep us posted as to how you are doing.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.

Sleeper1

Post by Sleeper1 » November 20th, 2012, 8:11 pm

I know this is an old thread, but when I saw this I thought of it immediately so this is a sort of follow up.
XDredg3 wrote:Do you think mental illness goes hand in hand with seeking knowledge?
Creativity linked to mental health

"High creative skills have been shown to be somewhat more common in people who have mental illness in the family. Creativity is also linked to a slightly higher risk of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Certain psychological traits, such as the ability to make unusual pr bizarre associations are also shared by schizophrenics and healthy, highly creative people. And now the correlation between creativity and mental health has scientific backing."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news193408573.html#jCp

XDredg3

Post by XDredg3 » November 23rd, 2012, 11:16 pm

Thank you for the interesting link Sleeper1, much appreciated.

Antone

Post by Antone » November 25th, 2012, 4:13 pm

XDredg3 wrote:Do you think mental illness goes hand in hand with seeking knowledge? Do you think it is a negative impact or a benefit? Just philosophy in general, do you think learning philosophy. Indulging so much your world becomes your veiws, what if those views are negative? Couldn't you shatter your world? Could you lose your mind, from it's actions trying to protect you from the harmful stimuli around you?
I read something that I found interesting a while back: apparently, a relatively effective treatment for people who have serious mental illness problems can be to have them imagine what they think they would feel like if they were normal. Simply imagining what it is like to be normal actually tended to make them act (and feel) more normal.

Each of us is abnormal in the sense that we are not like anyone else. Our minds function in a unique way. The question, then, is not whether our minds work "the way their supposed to" but whether or not we can effectively harness the way our mind does work to accomplish the things that we want to do.

I think it's pretty obvious that Picaso was mentally ill... and yet, he painted pictures that many people greatly treasure. The same thing might be said of Mozart, and many other creative geniuses. And this sort of thinking isn't limited just to creative sorts. Einstein was said to sometimes get lost walking home. This could easily be seen as a mental deficiency that could (if you wanted) be defined as a mental illness, I think. And yet, he is considered one of the true geniuses of science. Many brilliant men have had to deal with mental peculiarities.

The question is not always what you have... but what you do with it. And often, it is not possible to separate what makes us abnormally odd from what makes us great.

MrQuacky
New Trial Member

Post by MrQuacky » November 27th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Mental illness can help. But only in short-term. I have had some experience with weird psychotic/schizoid thoughts in my past as well. I suffered (and I think I still do a little bit from time to time) from derealization syndrome and depression. This taught me that reality is not that simple as it seems to be and as most of people like to describe it. Materialistic world is just an illusion and everything takes place in one's mind. Try to meditate. It is hard with psychotic thoughts but if you identify with them , you will start acting out and things will get worse. Those thoughts are not real if you realise they are not, try to build your own reality based on knowledge. Listen, be present for a while, explore.

"He who learns but does not think, is lost He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger."

XDredg3

Post by XDredg3 » November 29th, 2012, 7:16 pm

MrQuacky wrote:Mental illness can help. But only in short-term. I have had some experience with weird psychotic/schizoid thoughts in my past as well. I suffered (and I think I still do a little bit from time to time) from derealization syndrome and depression. This taught me that reality is not that simple as it seems to be and as most of people like to describe it. Materialistic world is just an illusion and everything takes place in one's mind. Try to meditate. It is hard with psychotic thoughts but if you identify with them , you will start acting out and things will get worse. Those thoughts are not real if you realise they are not, try to build your own reality based on knowledge. Listen, be present for a while, explore.

"He who learns but does not think, is lost He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger."

Even though this thread is old it didn't get the response I thought it would,
and I appreciate those of you who are re-opening it to the light again.
It brings back some dystopia type feelings and memories, but I didn't succumb to that past.
Through medication, then tapering off of it while building up the realization that it isn't real, I am fine now. I'm not normal, not just the typical uniqueness,
but that of depressed and paranoid with a side of reaching for connection sometimes. I see the world a lot different now and I'm fed up by it, I wish I could run my own land, or just a group of people.
I want to show the world that we are more capible of greater things, more important things, than what we think we are.
Like you said it people live in a simple reality when it's not

Toadny
Favorite Philosopher: Toadny

Post by Toadny » November 30th, 2012, 10:21 am

XDredg3 wrote:Even though this thread is old it didn't get the response I thought it would,
People are understandably reluctant to start giving advice to someone with serious mental health problems. In fact you should be suspicious of anyone who would do that in a public forum like this.