Can Science Explain Morals?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Re: Can Science Explain Morals?

Post by popeye1945 »

Subatomic,
Obviously, there is not agreement across the board on these socially instructive mythologies/religions or there would not be so much divisiveness and violence among the various religious/mythological systems. Personally I do believe that people need mythology but one capable of guiding us into a reasonable future. We must ask ourselves what really is the subject of any mythology? It is the welfare of the life and well-being of its subjects, its believers, but the old ones are just non-sense. They are promising everlasting life and claiming to know what is quite impossible to know. We must be prepared to face reality if we are ever able to create a healthy mythology that would reflect a healthy mind. At present that is not what we have. Biology is indeed where it begins, but it has gone astray into a fantasy world. The subject of a new mythology must first be about the biology that creates it. Science can lead the way, just as modern medicine as a science lights the way.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

subatomic wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 8:32 am I don't know what you exactly mean by morals, so I'll assume you'll mean a socially established wide belief of what's "right" and what's "wrong?" If so, then yes, I believe that science can explain that.
Can science explain why slavery was "right" for most of human history; yet "wrong" in the 20th century, gaining only a majority opinion during the 19thC.
This also relates to why people still believe in religion and God. Nowadays, we have technology and science, and yet we still find that many people believe in religion, because we need a point in life and we need something to tell us what to do and what not to do. Humans regulate their community by having a big social belief, and that's exactly what God and morality are, we have always done this (even in prehistoric times), and even if I don't know the specific science behind it (I'm more of a physics person), I'm sure there is a behavioral biology concept about it.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

TigerNinja wrote: February 28th, 2018, 6:33 pm Frequently, a viewpoint I find that Sam Harris has, is that science is able to explain morals to us. I personally disagree. I know this may seem cold but looking with purely what we have, in the nature of it, there is nothing wrong with me killing someone. The opinion that it is wrong solely derives from Judea- Christian influence. This is clearly indicative of moral relativity which shows that morals can't exist. Despite this, he makes the fair argument that the very thing which makes science, science (controversy), is what we are using to 'debunk' morals. Despite this, I think that due to the element of objectivity in science, it outweighs this argument. It is like saying that we should be able to find out which country God supports in a war, even though both countries are saying that God is on their side. There is no evidence for which we can say that this set of morals is correct. We can't simply ask God which country he supports in the same way we can't just check our moral list. We can do that in science through a much longer process of experimentation, which can't be done on something which isn't physically definable as of now. I say as of now as 30 years ago dreams were not physically definable, however we now can almost map someone's dreams. Despite this, we already knew there was an organ that our faculties derive from. We are like Homo Erectus (Praying I got this right so that I don't get lynched by my peers) discovering fire in our knowledge of the brain.

Despite this, I do strongly believe that although morals themselves do not exist, its origin, moral intuition does. Moral intuition derives form conditioning and other factors, but it shows that we are still able to have a moral compass without believing in the things themselves. I do in no way believe that morals exist, however I still have a natural moral intuition that will pop up at certain times. Can science discover this? I think certainly so. Can science discover morals? That is up for debate, and what is this website for? Tell me below!
I think Sam Harris is dead wrong.
Anyone with a sense of history and knowledge of cultural anthropology will be able to tell him that moral systems are shockinly diverse and obey their own historically contingent cultural logic.
The fact is that science is not generally explicatory. It is more like a descriptive system which reveals, categorises and demonstrates nature and natural systems. "Explanations" imply that there are underlying reasons and purposes, and science explicitely denies this sort of teleological approach.
IN the end characters like Harris and Pinker tend to end up stating the most banal and obvious trends from evolutionary psychology which anyone could also state without a PhD in a science subject.
Science can be relied upon to show us some of the most basic neural and cranial structures. What is shows is that the brain we are born with has a very limited structuration, and that the capacities and capabilities such as they are can vary from baby to baby. But when culture and experience begins to full out the open parts of that structure we find that living experience can mandate (from the same baby) a caveman, a Moslim, Christian , Atheist, hunter-gatherer, space age scientist. And only historical and cultural studies can throw any light on that.
Maybe you could help the debate by stating what sort of amazing insights into morals has his science provided.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Depends if you believe psychology and sociology are sciences.
"As usual... it depends."
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Reason can explain and create morals, and science is the refinement of the processes of reason.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

LuckyR wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:04 am Depends if you believe psychology and sociology are sciences.
If they can be empirically studied and examined, then they are a part of science. Morality, being mostly a matter of judgment, remains excluded being a subject for philosophers.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Tegularius wrote: August 6th, 2021, 9:14 pm
LuckyR wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:04 am Depends if you believe psychology and sociology are sciences.
If they can be empirically studied and examined, then they are a part of science. Morality, being mostly a matter of judgment, remains excluded being a subject for philosophers.
Well, many if not most psychologists and sociologists believe their fields can be empirically studied and examined and are thus sciences. Do you agree?
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

LuckyR wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:28 am
Well, many if not most psychologists and sociologists believe their fields can be empirically studied and examined and are thus sciences. Do you agree?
I do!
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Tegularius wrote: August 7th, 2021, 3:47 am
I do!
Well, the science of how folks come to their moral code (as opposed to the code itself) is the purview of psychology. How groups come to their ethical standards is the realm of sociology.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

LuckyR wrote: August 8th, 2021, 1:08 am

I do!
Well, the science of how folks come to their moral code (as opposed to the code itself) is the purview of psychology. How groups come to their ethical standards is the realm of sociology.
That's certainly true though both disciplines are more complex then creating moral codes and ethical standards. Both are prime members of what's called the social sciences. As science, they can be empirically studied.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: August 8th, 2021, 1:08 am

I do!
True. Anthropology also has a role to play in unpacking the ideosyncratic cultural logic that gives different cultures different moral codes. We could also say that art is a means of challenging those moral codes too.
Moralities are ever changing and the human "sciences" are slaves to fashion to accomodate an ever changing landscape of morality.
Biological science can describe (rather than explain) how moral tendancies have emerged in higher mammals including humans, but evolution cannot mandate specifically definable moral codes and there is nothing universal that is not clouded with multiple codisils and variations in moral thinking.
Memaw18

Post by Memaw18 »

Morals are lessons, experiences, and beliefs. It is more of philosophy than science. However, it includes both. If we are talking about the brain learning how morals are inputted and how we use those morals in our everyday life then it is more of science. But if we are thinking of what moral or what lesson, therefore it is more of philosophy.
Bradskii

Post by Bradskii »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 10:30 am Maybe you could help the debate by stating what sort of amazing insights into morals has his science provided.
I think the proposal might be that we can empirically investigate certain acts to see what the consequences are likely to be, and then use the results of that investigation to determine if the act is 'morally right' or not. That's Harris's position from what I recall from reading The Moral Landscape.

For example, if someone says that sex outside marriage is morally wrong then we can ask what the likely consequences of it are likely to be and investigate to see if the claims are correct. Same with male or female circumcision. There may be medical benefits for male circumsicion so let's get the data and make the call.

There are circumstances where this approach won't work of course. You might think that having an abortion a week after conception is perfectly moral but definitely immoral a week before birth. Science isn't going to tell us exactly where it changes from one to the other. So the method has it's limits.

But I think it should be Step 1 in any discussion about whether something is morally acceptable or not. Investigate the claim and see if it holds up.
Consul

Post by Consul »

TigerNinja wrote: February 28th, 2018, 6:33 pmFrequently, a viewpoint I find that Sam Harris has, is that science is able to explain morals to us.
Harris argues that…

"[Q]uestions about values—about meaning, morality, and life’s larger purpose—are really questions about the well-being of conscious creatures. Values, therefore, translate into facts that can be scientifically understood: regarding positive and negative social emotions, retributive impulses, the effects of specific laws and social institutions on human relationships, the neurophysiology of happiness and suffering, etc."

(Harris, Sam. The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values. New York: Free Press, 2010. pp. 1-2)

He regards "is morally good" and "is conducive to well-being" as synonyms, thinking that there are physiological, psychological, and sociological facts about what promotes or realizes well-being and what doesn't. There undeniably are certain factual conditions of well-being, but it is highly questionable that "well-being" is a purely descriptive concept without any normative or evaluative aspects, because it seems that ethical values and ideals also play a role in states of well-being, and that these don't simply "translate into facts that can be scientifically understood", because science cannot tell us what values or ideals we ought to choose and pursue.

Well-Being: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/well-being/
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Bradskii wrote: November 8th, 2021, 6:18 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 10:30 am Maybe you could help the debate by stating what sort of amazing insights into morals has his science provided.
I think the proposal might be that we can empirically investigate certain acts to see what the consequences are likely to be, and then use the results of that investigation to determine if the act is 'morally right' or not. That's Harris's position from what I recall from reading The Moral Landscape.

For example, if someone says that sex outside marriage is morally wrong then we can ask what the likely consequences of it are likely to be and investigate to see if the claims are correct.
The correctness of moral claims is not empirical.
Killing a million homeless people would have a net beneficial effect on the economy and enhance a feeling of safety among those that fear indigents. It could be shown to reduce crime and would certainly reduce claims on the social services.
All these benefits could be proven, yet that would never make it a morally correct thing to do.
Hume says you cannot dervie an ought from an is.
Same with male or female circumcision. There may be medical benefits for male circumsicion so let's get the data and make the call.
Males babies have been routinely mutilated in the US using that argument, yet there is no unambigious benefits.
You seem to be missing a key point about the nature of morality.
There are circumstances where this approach won't work of course. You might think that having an abortion a week after conception is perfectly moral but definitely immoral a week before birth. Science isn't going to tell us exactly where it changes from one to the other. So the method has it's limits.

But I think it should be Step 1 in any discussion about whether something is morally acceptable or not. Investigate the claim and see if it holds up.
I really do not think you have made a case here.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream