Is it appropriate to correct misconceptions about science?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Xris

Re: Is it appropriate to correct misconceptions about scienc

Post by Xris »

Many who support the BB can be just as ignorant of the theory.The theory Ignores any evidence that contradicts the said theory and most interestingly will invent the most outrageous concepts to support it. Just like many modernish theoretical mumbo jumbo it has become so entrenched into the human psyche the truth would be too much of an embarrassment. The alternatives may also be wrong but till science starts examining itself the truth will not be discovered.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Engineer0RQ1:
I think it may in some cases also be play: simply entertainment, exploration and testing. Do you think this may apply to Da##winX ?
Obviously only Charley X himself can answer that one properly. But yes, I think generally exploring and playing by proposing unusual ideas in order to get a reaction is a worthwhile exercise. But I think one of the characteristics of "play" is that it almost always has at least some kind of internally consistent set of rules which can be explored and tested. If the person instigating the play changes the rules, or simply ignores them, when challenged then the game fairly quickly stops being fun. Anarchy can be fun for a while, but I think it almost always gets boring in the end.

I think there are posters on these forums who believe themselves to be doing this "playing with ideas" thing but don't really get that general principle. And you can see the frustration in the other posters when whenever they try to establish what precisely can be said under the rules of the present game, that game is abandoned and another one is started. As I keep telling my 8 year old son, if you start a game then you have to be prepared to win or lose!

But, still, I have no serious complaints. It's all part of the mix.
Xris

Post by Xris »

And there are those who attempt to defend the status quo but when it becomes difficult, suddenly ignore your posts. Like how do you explain how x rays require an escape velocity when they are not influenced by gravity. Why does science ignore the fact that the temperature of celestial bodies influences the red shift. Why does it ignore the fact that stars have been found older than the universe. Why does it attempt to explain galaxies colliding when they should be expanding away from each other. How can it suddenly find that a concept(dark energy) it defended so vehemently, unnecessary. I think it is essential these misconceptions of science are brought to general attention. Yes you can call Arp a crack pot or Gaede a fool but please do not question the integrity of their idols.
Engineer0RQ1
Favorite Philosopher: Descartes

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Xris

i thought science needed to find/explain/define "dark matter" i.e. matter possessing only mass because their calculations show a large quantity of mass in the universe to be unaccounted for.

What is "dark energy"?

What actual stars are older than the universe and what evidence supports this premise?

Are the majority of the problems you raise not down to interpretation and the fact that science has three different viewpoints?

What makes the opinion of Arp and Gaede any different from yours or mine?

Are you saying there are higher standards of reference and integrity that should automatically be accepted? :shock: :?

Steve3007

I tell my son the same thing. The thing I find most annoying about some members of the philosophy club is their need to find conspiracy in everything and their absolute distrust of accepted scientific opinion.
Chris

An engineer by philosophy, opinion and action.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Engineer0RQ1 wrote:Xris

i thought science needed to find/explain/define "dark matter" i.e. matter possessing only mass because their calculations show a large quantity of mass in the universe to be unaccounted for.

What is "dark energy"?

What actual stars are older than the universe and what evidence supports this premise?

Are the majority of the problems you raise not down to interpretation and the fact that science has three different viewpoints?

What makes the opinion of Arp and Gaede any different from yours or mine?

Are you saying there are higher standards of reference and integrity that should automatically be accepted? :shock: :?
Science has discounted dark energy.It is no longer required. It is now the turn of dark matter.Recent remarks have been made admitting that this stuff should be influencing the movement of planets and it ain't. So how much of theoretical science can we trust? It is the proponents of the BB, not skeptics like me, questioning their very own inventions.Dark energy and dark matter are crucial to understanding the theory of the BB. Without them what exactly have they got?

It is not what Arp or Gaede have to replace suspect scientific concepts. It is the fact that no one is looking. Academia simply continues to readjust the concept to fit the anomalies. Arp and Gaede are not the problem, they may not have the answers but they do represent what science should be doing.

The star has a number but I believe they have called it Methuselah. What is even more of a problem for cosmology is the fact it is in our galaxy.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Xris wrote: Science has discounted dark energy.It is no longer required. It is now the turn of dark matter.Recent remarks have been made admitting that this stuff should be influencing the movement of planets and it ain't. So how much of theoretical science can we trust? It is the proponents of the BB, not skeptics like me, questioning their very own inventions.Dark energy and dark matter are crucial to understanding the theory of the BB. Without them what exactly have they got?
I know that the "Dark Energy" concept has always been highly speculative and because of its more tenuous foundation could in the future be debunked by something more credible. But where does it state that dark energy has now been discounted by science and no longer required? It sounds like a brand new break through I wasn't aware of - which is not unusual. If that is the case, there must be a new theory to replace it and account for what seems to be expansion.

Are you referring to the David Wiltshire accounting for it? The so-called "Hubble Bubble"? From what I understand it's an idea other scientists are taking a very close look at but it hasn't yet dethroned the Dark Energy concept. Or maybe you mean something else?
Xris

Post by Xris »

What does it take to dethrone a concept? I can name many who still believe in an expanding universe that say it does not exist, there is no need for it, nor any evidence. What one academic figure would you accept or do we have a head count?
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Xris wrote:What does it take to dethrone a concept? I can name many who still believe in an expanding universe that say it does not exist, there is no need for it, nor any evidence. What one academic figure would you accept or do we have a head count?
You said categorically:
Science has discounted dark energy.It is no longer required.
All I wanted to know was did I miss something? Was it put on the back burner so to speak. Was there some kind of consensus among scientists which renounced dark energy as no longer viable? You make it sound as if there was because the last time I looked there was no such discounting and wondered if there is an update of some kind?

So the question remains. In what context has dark energy been discounted meaning no-longer speculated upon as being feasible?
Xris

Post by Xris »

Jklint wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

You said categorically:

(Nested quote removed.)

All I wanted to know was did I miss something? Was it put on the back burner so to speak. Was there some kind of consensus among scientists which renounced dark energy as no longer viable? You make it sound as if there was because the last time I looked there was no such discounting and wondered if there is an update of some kind?

So the question remains. In what context has dark energy been discounted meaning no-longer speculated upon as being feasible?
It still depends on what you consider feasible. http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-constant
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Xris wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

It still depends on what you consider feasible. http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... l-constant
Appreciate the link, thank you! It was very interesting and quite understandable but clearly it does not dismiss the concept of dark energy at this time. It may need to be refined and it could be discounted in the future with more info but as it stands at the moment, it seems to stand until further advised.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Jklint wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Appreciate the link, thank you! It was very interesting and quite understandable but clearly it does not dismiss the concept of dark energy at this time. It may need to be refined and it could be discounted in the future with more info but as it stands at the moment, it seems to stand until further advised.
When mainstream cosmology has not proved dark energy exists it is essential any observations opposing it are taken seriously. This is not the only observational opposition. Who actually decides when it has outlived it's purpose. As far as I am concerned science has produced enough evidence to dismiss it. I classify dark energy and dark matter as a metaphysical response, not a true scientific argument to support the concept of an expanding universe.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Xris wrote: When mainstream cosmology has not proved dark energy exists it is essential any observations opposing it are taken seriously. This is not the only observational opposition.
Couldn't agree more. There wouldn't be any advancement if that weren't true.
Who actually decides when it has outlived it's purpose.
I don't think anyone actually "decides". Since science steadily strives to close the gaps with new or refined theories it is that which becomes the inheritor and the next step up in making the gaps smaller. I think of science as a winding staircase, one step at a time. You stay put with whatever theory until you're ready to make the next move.
Engineer0RQ1
Favorite Philosopher: Descartes

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Xris
It is not what Arp or Gaede have to replace suspect scientific concepts.
"Suspect" in whose opinion and why are they not offering alternatives?
Arp and Gaede are not the problem, they may not have the answers but they do represent what science should be doing.
In whose opinion and why are the scientists and their paymasters not the best people to determine how science is carried out?
The star has a number but I believe they have called it Methuselah. What is even more of a problem for cosmology is the fact it is in our galaxy.
Wikipedia now seems to have doubts about the age of your star: "Due to the uncertainty in the value, this age for the star does not conflict with the age of the Universe determined by the Planck satellite, 13.798 ± 0.037.[2]"

Are you sure we should not leave scientific investigation to those engaging in it and simply wait for an answer that we could all have faith in?
Chris

An engineer by philosophy, opinion and action.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Engineer0RQ1 wrote:Xris

(Nested quote removed.)

"Suspect" in whose opinion and why are they not offering alternatives?

(Nested quote removed.)

In whose opinion and why are the scientists and their paymasters not the best people to determine how science is carried out?

(Nested quote removed.)

Wikipedia now seems to have doubts about the age of your star: "Due to the uncertainty in the value, this age for the star does not conflict with the age of the Universe determined by the Planck satellite, 13.798 ± 0.037.[2]"

Are you sure we should not leave scientific investigation to those engaging in it and simply wait for an answer that we could all have faith in?
Gaede is most certainly offering alternatives, as for Arp, I believe he is dead.He was a scientist bringing to our attention an anomaly that required investigation. Is that wrong?

Paymasters and their servants have vested interest.That's why we should have suspicion.

I think you should read more about Methuselah. How do you place a star, almost certainly older than the universe in a galaxy that is half its age?

So what about the Russians claiming dark matters expected influence over the planets not found. Should we dismiss dark matter or continue to believe in it? It is a bit like dark energy.No matter how many throw doubt on it. It maintains the authority to support an expanding universe concept.

If you have faith in academia good luck to you.
Ladychristine
New Trial Member

Post by Ladychristine »

“If men could see us as we really are, they would be a little amazed; but the cleverest, the acutest men are often under an illusion about women: they do not read them in a true light: they misapprehend them, both for good and evil: their good woman is a queer thing, half doll, half angel; their bad woman almost always a fiend.”

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream