Is it appropriate to correct misconceptions about science?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Re: Is it appropriate to correct misconceptions about scienc

Post by Geordie Ross »

Xris wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Who said it was wrong? I said using the accepted concept to explain this is illogical. How does a concept create engineering advantage?
The delayed double slit experiment claims the observer influences the outcome.
It doesn't "claim" the observer influences the outcome, it proves the observer influences the outcome.

Engineer wrote:
How can Physical Reality be "Objective" when one cannot observe any electromechanical system?
Reality is objective by definition... Objectivity means that something is real or true regardless of subjective opinions or biases.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

(Nested quote removed.)

It doesn't "claim" the observer influences the outcome, it proves the observer influences the outcome.
It proves nothing. Using the accepted method it appears that way.Using Gaedes EM ropes indicates the observer is part of the experiment. It becomes logical.
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

It's called the observer effect, it's already known that the observer becomes part of the system. How does Gaede explain superposition and wave function collapse?

Let me guess, there's no such thing as superposition or wave functions? Only ropes and a giant conspiracy?
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote:It's called the observer effect, it's already known that the observer becomes part of the system. How does Gaede explain superposition and wave function collapse?

Let me guess, there's no such thing as superposition or wave functions? Only ropes and a giant conspiracy?
Ropes but no conspiracy. It removes the illogical dual nature of light.The accepted method indicates the observer influences the outcome.Gaedes ropes indicates the observer becomes part of the experiment. Is that too subtle for you?
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Ffs, google the observer effect, it's already known that the observer becomes part of it, but why does that collapse the wave function? Why does the interference pattern stop?
Xris

Post by Xris »

Geordie Ross wrote:Ffs, google the observer effect, it's already known that the observer becomes part of it, but why does that collapse the wave function? Why does the interference pattern stop?
I thought you understood the theory behind these ropes?
Engineer0RQ1
Favorite Philosopher: Descartes

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Xris

For me

Employing a concept to build functional systems that solve real problems ties that concept to Reality and validates it.

Logic, reason and faith alone can validate nothing. Experiences and actions validate everything. Why else would ?/God/s subject us to being part of a physical Reality.

DYBOtherwise?
Chris

An engineer by philosophy, opinion and action.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Engineer0RQ1 wrote:Xris

For me

Employing a concept to build functional systems that solve real problems ties that concept to Reality and validates it.

Logic, reason and faith alone can validate nothing. Experiences and actions validate everything. Why else would ?/God/s subject us to being part of a physical Reality.

DYBOtherwise?
So how does the accepted concept of EM radiation solve real problems? How does it relate to reality and validate the concept? I will maintain logic is essential.It is the unreasonable faith in this concept that I object to. I constantly hear that this concept has produced wonderful technical advances but up till now I have not had one example
Engineer0RQ1

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

Xris

Because it can be used to model/explain the real world and make predictions. Why else would any kind of science be carried out? If you want examples read Alastair I.M. Rae Quantum Physics part of the beginners guides series.
Chris

DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

Steve3007 wrote:
You are stating that observations are not in accordance with some kind of theory which you seem to be concerned about. (I think you called it "The Big Bang Theory", yes?). Regardless of any knowledge that anybody else may or may not have about it, in order to make that statement, you at least must be familiar with:

a. the observations.

b. the observations predicted by the theory.

Am I right so far? Please tell me if I'm not. If you're not familiar with (a) or (b) please tell me how your statement works.

You then stated the result of a particular observation. Namely:

Distant galaxies do not look measurably smaller now than they did 100 years ago.

All I'm asking you to do is to use your knowledge of the theory to tell me whether it predicts that those galaxies would in fact look measurably further away after 100 years. What difference in appearance does the theory predict? What difference, if any, is observed? I don't know the answers to these questions. It's not my theory. You must know the answers, because otherwise you would not have been able to make your statement. You have made a statement about a theory. I have not.

Can you see now that I'm not seeking to defend or attack anything, but merely asking you to explain an assertion that you have made about (a) some observations and (b) some kind of theory?
I have no theory. I am merely making the observation that there has been no visual or other evidence in any change in the appearance of the universe in the last 100 years. Therefore, the misconception is that the expanding universe theory must be incorrect. It is up to you to decide whether you wish to support the expanding universe theory by offering evidence or whether you wish not to support it by declining to provide evidence. So far, you have not provided any evidence, therefore, your case is unfulfilled and void of evidence to support it.

Please advise - (a) I support the expanding universe theory and will provide the evidence.

(b) I do not support the expanding universe theory and will not be supplying any evidence.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Engineer0RQ1

Post by Engineer0RQ1 »

DarwinX
I have no theory.
You are simply acting as a System/Reality tester then? :( You have no purpose or agenda of your own then? :shock: Why/What are you? :? :twisted: :evil: :bored:

IAYRWInterest.......

Rgds

-- Updated Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:52 am to add the following --
Geordie Ross wrote:Ffs, google the observer effect, it's already known that the observer becomes part of it, but why does that collapse the wave function? Why does the interference pattern stop?
? Because the load placed on the system by the detector changes the spin/orientation of ALL of the particles involved in the experimental system/universe (It's called Quantum Entanglement ) ?

WTW4U???
Chris

DarwinX

Post by DarwinX »

Engineer0RQ1 wrote:
You are simply acting as a System/Reality tester then? :( You have no purpose or agenda of your own then? :shock: Why/What are you? :? :twisted: :evil: :bored:
Do you have a problem with that? What is your agenda? :twisted: :evil: 8)
Last edited by DarwinX on November 10th, 2013, 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

From what I am able to gather, science is filled with misconceptions. Being intelligent people, we can correct them together :D .
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
DarwinX

Post by DarwinX »

Fanman wrote:From what I am able to gather, science is filled with misconceptions. Being intelligent people, we can correct them together :D .
We haven't done such a good job so far. The problem is with the together part which may involve politics, career, consensus and ego.

To get a science degree one has to accept a lot of nonsense and crap. This accepting of nonsense and crap can become a habit.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

DarwinX:
I am merely making the observation that there has been no visual or other evidence in any change in the appearance of the universe in the last 100 years. Therefore, the misconception is that the expanding universe theory must be incorrect.

What does this expanding universe theory predict would be the change in appearance of the universe in the past 100 years? I'll repeat one more time: In order to make the statement above with any confidence that it might be true, you must know the answer to this question.

You can simply tell me whether you know the answer to this question by stating "yes" or "no".

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream