Does the ball ever stop bouncing?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Philosophy Explorer

Does the ball ever stop bouncing?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Here's an experiment you can try at home. Take a rubber ball and bounce it against the ground. You'll see it go up and down faster and faster until it seems to stop. The mathematics, with certain assumptions, will say that the ball does indeed stop bouncing and I agree with this. I'm wondering if someone disagrees and why? What say you to this?
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Re: Does the ball ever stop bouncing?

Post by Geordie Ross »

Thermodynamics tells us the ball must stop bouncing, otherwise perpetual motion would be possible. Its energy is shifted into noise, friction heat and the kinetic energy is absorbed by the surface it hits, so you see a gradual decrease in the energy retained by the ball until it eventually stops.

Though this could be countered by some extravagant methods, maybe with some oscillating magnets?

A little fun fact, a metal ball bounces higher and for a longer period of time than a rubber ball. But I don't want to give kids steel balls to play with...
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think this is an interesting illustration of the fact that mathematical models of reality have the same characteristic that all models have - they are idealized versions of reality and therefore can never be an entirely accurate description of reality in every respect. If they were, they wouldn't be models. They'd be reality.

As Geordie says, the ball inevitably loses energy on each bounce. And since the amount of energy lost at each bounce is theoretically, a fixed proportion of the total amount of energy remaining, the equation which describes the loss of energy/height over time is an exponential decay. And an exponential decay never reaches zero. If, at every bounce, you can only ever lose a fraction of your total energy which is less than 1 and greater than 0, you can never lose all your energy.

In practice, inevitably, the system is more complex than that, and exponential decay is just an initial approximation. Once the bounce height gets lower than a certain level, all sorts of other factors will become more and more significant, until they become dominant. E.g. there'll always be a slight difference in electrostatic charge between the ball and the floor, creating an extra force.

Cue my favourite physicsy joke about the perils of using the highly idealized and reductionist techniques of physics to model complex physical systems (like living things):

A physicist is asked to predict the winner of a horse race. Some time later, he is heard muttering: "OK, assume it's a spherical horse in a vacuum..."

I'm going to keep telling that joke until somebody laughs.
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Yea, it can't ever reach zero, only it's minimal total potential energy, and that will always remain above zero.

I like that joke. Everything in physics must be reduced with minimal possible variants and nearest approximations. Its not an exact science :wink:
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Actually I think I was slightly wrong in my previous post! It's not exponential decay.

I guess this is an example of Zeno's paradox? An infinite series with a finite sum. So even the mathematical idealization of the bouncing ball will come to rest in finite time, although it will take an infinite number of bounces to do it?
Philosophy Explorer

Steve3007 wrote:Actually I think I was slightly wrong in my previous post! It's not exponential decay.

I guess this is an example of Zeno's paradox? An infinite series with a finite sum. So even the mathematical idealization of the bouncing ball will come to rest in finite time, although it will take an infinite number of bounces to do it?
Give the man a cigar. Does anyone dispute this?
HalfWit

Post by HalfWit »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Give the man a cigar. Does anyone dispute this?
Does anyone dispute that a ball bounces infinitely many times before stopping?

Yes, I dispute that. Good grief. Are you saying you believe it?
Philosophy Explorer

HalfWit wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Does anyone dispute that a ball bounces infinitely many times before stopping?

Yes, I dispute that. Good grief. Are you saying you believe it?
Sure do. Why, do you believe the ball has infinite energy to keep bouncing forever?
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

It cannot bounce an infinite number of times. (depending on your definition of bounce) Each time the ball is met with resistance, it loses kinetic energy to them point at which it cannot overcome gravity. It retains potential energy but that doesn't effect its 'bounces', unless the surface its resting on shifts position.

In essence its paradoxically and axiomatically impossible for a ball to bounce and infinite number of times "before stopping". It would help if you simplified it to "it doesn't stop bouncing"
Philosophy Explorer

Geordie Ross wrote:It cannot bounce an infinite number of times. (depending on your definition of bounce) Each time the ball is met with resistance, it loses kinetic energy to them point at which it cannot overcome gravity. It retains potential energy but that doesn't effect its 'bounces', unless the surface its resting on shifts position.

In essence its paradoxically and axiomatically impossible for a ball to bounce and infinite number of times "before stopping". It would help if you simplified it to "it doesn't stop bouncing"
To give a more complete picture, the kinetic energy converts into potential energy as the ball bounces up from the ground, but the potential energy becomes less and less because the kinetic energy gets diminished until eventually the ball comes to rest on the ground; at that point kinetic energy = potential energy = 0.
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

There's a fundamental flaw there, you forgot to factor in the resistance of the surface the ball contacts. The kinetic energy equals the resistance, not the potential. The potential energy is intrinsically linked to the distance from the centre of gravity in this scenario. (In a vacuum/ without wind resistance)
Philosophy Explorer

Geordie Ross wrote:There's a fundamental flaw there, you forgot to factor in the resistance of the surface the ball contacts. The kinetic energy equals the resistance, not the potential. The potential energy is intrinsically linked to the distance from the centre of gravity in this scenario. (In a vacuum/ without wind resistance)
When the ball reaches its maximum height from a particular bounce, it's all potential energy. Also with or without wind resistance, it loses kinetic energy, in either case it will come to rest eventually.
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Agreed, the only reason I mention wind/air resistance is because Steve mentioned that race joke. :wink: and terminal velocity.
HalfWit

Post by HalfWit »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: When the ball reaches its maximum height from a particular bounce, it's all potential energy. Also with or without wind resistance, it loses kinetic energy, in either case it will come to rest eventually.
Do you believe it bounces infinitely many times? I'm very confused about your early statement that "nobody could dispute" that it does so.
Philosophy Explorer

HalfWit wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Do you believe it bounces infinitely many times? I'm very confused about your early statement that "nobody could dispute" that it does so.
I believe you're referring to post #6. Maybe it does bounce an infinite number of times, maybe it doesn't. Math says it can bounce an infinite number of times in a finite time interval. Also it would take an infinite amount of energy to keep that ball bouncing indefinitely. Therefore I'm saying the ball must come to a stop eventually, with or without an infinite number of bounces.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream