Does the ball ever stop bouncing?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
HalfWit

Re: Does the ball ever stop bouncing?

Post by HalfWit »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: I believe you're referring to post #6. Maybe it does bounce an infinite number of times, maybe it doesn't. Math says it can bounce an infinite number of times in a finite time interval. Also it would take an infinite amount of energy to keep that ball bouncing indefinitely. Therefore I'm saying the ball must come to a stop eventually, with or without an infinite number of bounces.
I believe that the idea that a physical ball can bounce infinitely many times is complete nonsense. So let's drill this down a little.

If each bounce reaches a smaller height than the bounce before, then one of two things must be the case:

a) The bounces get smaller and smaller but never get any smaller than the Planck length.

or

b) The bounces eventually get smaller than the Planck length.

If you believe a ball could bounce infinitely many times, which of the above do you think would be true?

I must confess honestly that I find the notion of infinitely many bounces so profoundly and obviously false that I cannot comprehend the mindset of someone who believes it's possible. But clearly you are one such. So I want to know more about how you think this could happen.

Here's my thought process. Each bounce causes the system to lose some energy, until eventually the ball doesn't have enough energy to get off the ground.

So at some point there is still some nonzero amount of energy in the system, but not enough to get the ball off the ground. In fact a ball sitting on the ground that appears to the eye to be stationary, may still actually be "bouncing," but without enough energy to leave the ground. It's just pulsing internally along the vertical axis ... in other words it's vibrating from the last collision.

For all we know the vibrations never stop ... after a finite number of bounces the ball can no longer leave the ground, but the shape of the ball is still rebounding from the last collision ... and the one before that ... all those waves superimposed to model the actual shape of the ball ...

And some of that compression/expansion energy is converted to heat. So if we carefully measures the air around the ball, we'd see that it's getting warmer as the ball -- still sitting there perfectly still to the naked eye -- is actually pulsating from the sum of all the collisions, giving off heat ... forever? Well actually I don't know.

Now I imagine that this effefct must dissipate at some point ... the rebounding shape must eventually stabilize and stop pulsing. That would also happen in a finite amount of time, but I don't know anything about the physics of compressed, air-filled rubber balls. For that I'd ask a pro basketball player, they know more about this than anyone :-)

Conclusion:

There are three phases:

1) The bounce phase. The ball has enough energy to "bounce," ie separate itself from the earth by an appreciable distance. We'd have to define it but say if there's a space visible to the naked eye, then it bounced. By that definition. there will be a finite number of bounces in this phase. Eventually there won't be enough energy to leave the earth.

2) The decompression phase. This is when the naked eye can no longer perceive the ball as moving. But there's still energy in the ball from all the bouncing, each bounce deforming the physical material a little. If it's "elastic" it bounces well ... elastic is actually a technical term in physics, but I'm really out of my depth on the physics. But in the decompression phase, it's pulsating and giving off heat.

3) The still or "deep" phase. We say the ball is still when it's not only not bouncing, but when it's stopped decompressing from all the bounces it's taken. The balls surface temperature and the local air temp are the same ... it's stopped giving off heat from the decompression.

BUT: But what about all the quarks and gluons and strings and stuff they have these days? Back in the day I kept up at the Scientific American level and knew a photon from a proton. These days they're into some crazy stuff. So who really can say WHEN a ball stops bouncing? Maybe at some deeper level all of the tiny microparticles in there have had their states altered by the bounce? Perhaps at some deeper level, the ball is still striving for equilbrium? And will be forever?

PE, I think I have talked myself into a point of view that sees some merit in what you said. Perhaps a ball does bounce forever ... at some deep level of existence, perhaps a ball that bounces once, never stops bouncing. It wouldn't be a completed process ... but it would be forever. So I think I can imagine a definition of "bounce" that allows the possibility that a ball bounces forever, at some level.

I may have rambled a bit. What do you think?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Halfwit,

As time moves forward, the time between bounces keeps shrinking. If the shrinking proceeds fast enough, as per math specification, then there can be an infinite number of bounces within a finite time interval.

For me infinity is no sweat to understand. Just a matter of thinking about it logically. Here's a quick scenario about infinity: along a (straight) finite line, you can always find a midpoint. And between the midpoint and an endpoint, you can find a second midpoint. You can continue this process indefinitely which indicates the finite line contains an infinite number of points.

I can continue discussing infinity, but it's been well covered before. For me the strangest part of infinity isn't that it exists, rather it exists on several different levels.

Edit: I'll offer two examples that explains the mathematics. If the ball bounces in this manner: 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6..., then it will continue to bounce indefinitely based on this series. If, however, it bounces in this manner: 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16..., then it will stop bouncing at some point in time. That's the mathematics of it.
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on November 15th, 2013, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geordie Ross
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Geordie Ross »

But that wouldn't quite work in practice, as the length of the bounce would eventually be smaller than the proton of an atom. So it could equally be argued that the static book on the table is bouncing an infinite number of times. And it could be argued that the bounce never actually happens, as the atoms never actually touch due to electrostatic repulsion, its more of a hover, even when static. So it's more of a far reaching question than I first gave it credit for.

Also it seems to be an oxymoron that it bounces an infinite number of times 'before stopping' as it implies it never stops.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Keithprosser3

Post by Keithprosser3 »

A mathematically idealised ball isn't made of atoms or even matter but of 'pure maths' so will bounce forever with smaller and smaller amplitude.

A real ball will convert some of the kinetic energy into heat on each bounce so eventually there will not be enough kinetic energy for the ball to really bounce - all the energy will be taken up by the warmed-up atoms in the ball (and the surface it strikes) 'jiggling more' while remaining essentially stationary around some mid-point. I suspect that will happen long before the 'theoretical' amplitude of the bounce would be on the atomic or planck scales. Eventually even the extra jiggling will cease as thermodynamic equilibrium is reached.

Or not.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Halfwit
Does anyone dispute that a ball bounces infinitely many times before stopping?

Yes, I dispute that. Good grief. Are you saying you believe it?
Of course nobody believes that physical balls bounce an infinite number of times. This, as I pointed out in post #3, and as others (like Keith, above) pointed out, is an example of mathematical idealization versus complex reality.
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

I suppose it's similar to gravity and it's infinite range, it never reaches zero, it's strength simply deminishes exponentially.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes exactly. I guess there's sometimes misunderstanding of the way that the concept of infinity is used in physics - as a "limit" (as in the "theory of limits"). So things "tend to infinity" if, for any arbitrarily large value for that thing, there's no physical reason not to imagine a larger one. As you say, the strength of gravity "tends to zero" as the distance "tends to infinity". It doesn't mean that anyone thinks it's possible to actually reach infinite distance.
Teralek

Post by Teralek »

In perfect elasticity and perfect vacuum the ball will not stop bouncing

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_a_ball_is_ ... est#slide5
Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ~Bertrand Russell
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Not sure what "perfect elasticity" means, but... Assuming the source of the gravity is large enough to sustain a repetitive bounce, inertia would come into play? The two surfaces colliding would still cause impacted friction?
Teralek

Post by Teralek »

Does not matter. For every action there is an opposite equal reaction. There is no such thing as perfect elasticity because some of the energy gets transferred away from the system as heat and the ball will eventually stop even in perfect vacuum. Force of gravity is irrelevant. Only if there was no transfer of energy the ball could go on forever
Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ~Bertrand Russell
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Well we are in the realm of hypothetical. Assuming perfect elasticity existed and both surfaces are "perfectly elastic", in a "perfect vacuum, inertia would play a big role, the resistance to move, and the moving balls resistance to stop? No?
Teralek

Post by Teralek »

I don't think so Geordie. Inertia only means that a body which is in movement will tend to remain in movement and if it's motionless will tend to remain motionless. The bouncing ball is a dynamic system like a pendulum.

Inertia is what makes the ball bounce in the first place. It's the source of kinetic energy

With no energy transfer (perfect elasticity) the ball will bounce indefinitely. Like a pendulum with zero friction will move forever. These things though remain in the field of fantasy. There will always be energy transfer and minimum friction.
Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross »

Ah, I was going off the wikianswer links definition of "perfect elasticity" meaning no internal friction, not "no energy transfer". But hypothetically, what would happen to the inertia of the ball? It has to go somewhere?

Or would the balls inertia, and source of gravity be in 'perfect' equilibrium?
Teralek

Post by Teralek »

Inertia is a property of objects, it doesn't go anywhere. If Kinetic energy goes off the system by any means the ball will stop.

Yes, from what I read inertia (kinetic system energy) and gravity would be in a perfect equilibrium if such system could be assembled.
HalfWit

Post by HalfWit »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Halfwit,

As time moves forward, the time between bounces keeps shrinking. If the shrinking proceeds fast enough, as per math specification, then there can be an infinite number of bounces within a finite time interval.
Per the math, yes, if this is an idealized mathematical point that's bouncing. But don't you understand that in the physical universe, a physical ball loses energy with each bounce, and that after finitely many bounces it will no longer have enough energy to leave the ground?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream