The Cure For Global Warming

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Xris

Re: The Cure For Global Warming

Post by Xris »

Misty wrote:The issue is that climate changes is the fault of humans. The sun and the magnetic field of sun spots is what controls climate changes. Please watch the following;

On youtube.com type in The Great Global Warming Swindle Full Movie - - - -sound education on the subject. Please watch the entire movie.

Also accessible on you tube: Climategate - The Fraud of Global Warming and Climate Change

http://www.ClimateDepot.com

http://www.ConserativeUSA.org
So are you now admitting climate change through temperature rise, Misty? It happens every time. First the deniers say there is no temperature rise, then no climate change and when both are difficult to deny it becomes a natural process.So what exactly is your position Misty?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Xris wrote:
Misty wrote:The issue is that climate changes is the fault of humans. The sun and the magnetic field of sun spots is what controls climate changes. Please watch the following;

On youtube.com type in The Great Global Warming Swindle Full Movie - - - -sound education on the subject. Please watch the entire movie.

Also accessible on you tube: Climategate - The Fraud of Global Warming and Climate Change

http://www.ClimateDepot.com

http://www.ConserativeUSA.org
So are you now admitting climate change through temperature rise, Misty? It happens every time. First the deniers say there is no temperature rise, then no climate change and when both are difficult to deny it becomes a natural process.So what exactly is your position Misty?

Xris, I do not believe humans are equivalent to the power of the sun. It is common knowledge that weather/climate functions by heating and cooling and is controlled by the suns magnetic field of sunspots. To say humans caused it is a political move which ends up with more taxes. I cannot articulate the problem like the movie does. So if you have time please watch it. Heating and cooling scares that blame the people are not new. Misty
Last edited by Misty on January 28th, 2014, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Misty I do get annoyed when such twisted and lying links are referred to.They are sponsored by the oil companies, who have vested interest in convincing the populace by any means possible . So you are admitting there is global warming, is that correct? 99% of scientists educated to understand the question all agree we have climate change caused by human activity. What qualified scientific evidence is there to oppose this overwhelming concensushttp://www.ibtimes.com/climate-change-counterm ... il-1518282

It is blatantly obvious their money is working.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Since someone else here is trying to put words into my mouth, I'm restating my position that I've been skeptical about global warming and now, with the deep freeze the US is going through, I'm certain that the idea of global warming is bogus which fringe scientists are supporting. This is my true position.
Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

Theboombody wrote:I always wonder why people feel better technology is the solution to global warming when technology is causing global warming in the first place. I would think less technology would be better on the environment. Look at the Amish. Those guys are better environmentalists than anybody today, and they don't even try to be. They don't pile up huge mountains of litter or cause any pollution.

I think if we really care about the health of the planet, we'll forget gimmicks like carbon credits and solar power, and just be more like the Amish. True, we might live in less comfort and may not live as long, but we'll definitely be more likely to ensure the future health of the planet.
There is a big problem with this. The fact is that climate change is a constant. When the ice age comes the Amish will be swept away like dinosaurs. At the moment the Climate change seems to be going towards global warming GW. But this is shall not always be the case, and it is highly speculative to what degree "technology" is the cause of GW. When I first studied Environmental in the 1970s the greatest fear was the fact that we were well overdue for the coming of the next ice age, and climatologist were talking about ways to avoid it. There is a very good argument to say that human activity may well be holding back that ice-age due to making some contribution to GW..

Back the the Amish. I think you have a rise-coloured idea about the role of the Amish and the environment. They are responsible for millions of acres of arable land that was once rich forestry, teaming with wildlife, the USA represents a massive environmental disaster that has preyed on the land for the last 200 years reducing its forest to 5% of its natural state. The Amish are part of this disaster.

-- Updated January 28th, 2014, 5:03 pm to add the following --
Theboombody wrote:I always wonder why people feel better technology is the solution to global warming when technology is causing global warming in the first place. I would think less technology would be better on the environment. Look at the Amish. Those guys are better environmentalists than anybody today, and they don't even try to be. They don't pile up huge mountains of litter or cause any pollution.

I think if we really care about the health of the planet, we'll forget gimmicks like carbon credits and solar power, and just be more like the Amish. True, we might live in less comfort and may not live as long, but we'll definitely be more likely to ensure the future health of the planet.
There is a big problem with this. The fact is that climate change is a constant. When the ice age comes the Amish will be swept away like dinosaurs. At the moment the Climate change seems to be going towards global warming GW. But this is shall not always be the case, and it is highly speculative to what degree "technology" is the cause of GW. When I first studied Environmental in the 1970s the greatest fear was the fact that we were well overdue for the coming of the next ice age, and climatologist were talking about ways to avoid it. There is a very good argument to say that human activity may well be holding back that ice-age due to making some contribution to GW..

Back the the Amish. I think you have a rise-coloured idea about the role of the Amish and the environment. They are responsible for millions of acres of arable land that was once rich forestry, teaming with wildlife, the USA represents a massive environmental disaster that has preyed on the land for the last 200 years reducing its forest to 5% of its natural state. The Amish are part of this disaster.

-- Updated January 28th, 2014, 5:07 pm to add the following --
Xris wrote:Misty I do get annoyed when such twisted and lying links are referred to.They are sponsored by the oil companies, who have vested interest in convincing the populace by any means possible . So you are admitting there is global warming, is that correct? 99% of scientists educated to understand the question all agree we have climate change caused by human activity. What qualified scientific evidence is there to oppose this overwhelming concensushttp://www.ibtimes.com/climate-change-counterm ... il-1518282

I just hate it when people throw about statistic they make off the top of their head. 99% of stats are invented.

I also hate it when people confuse Global warning with Climate Change and fail to make the distinction between natural and anthropogenic Climate change.
"I'm blaming the horrors of Islamic fundamentalism on unrestrained sexuality." Radar.
DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

Greta wrote:DarwinX, your views on global warming have been noted (repeatedly).

Just wondering what it would take for you to believe the huge majority of scientists (and most others) that climate change is occurring? What evidence would you need? What level of catastrophes would be required?
Can you answer the five questions that both Wilson and Xris have refused to answer [...]

Test of knowledge

1. What do you know about Maurice Strong?

2. What message did the leaked email from the "hockey stick trick" graph by Michael Mann contain?

3. How many cars,houses and airplanes does Al Gore own?

4. Did the IPCC take into account the heat island effect in their measurements of global temperature?

5. What causes sea ice to melt (a) air temperature (b) water temperature?
Last edited by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes on January 30th, 2014, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pm sent to post author
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

DarwinX wrote:
Greta wrote:DarwinX, your views on global warming have been noted (repeatedly).

Just wondering what it would take for you to believe the huge majority of scientists (and most others) that climate change is occurring? What evidence would you need? What level of catastrophes would be required?
Can you answer the five questions that both Wilson and Xris have refused to answer [...]

Test of knowledge

2. What message did the leaked email from the "hockey stick trick" graph by Michael Mann contain?

4. Did the IPCC take into account the heat island effect in their measurements of global temperature?

What game is this? I ask a simple question and get only childish accusations.

I asked the question first - you answer it.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
DarwinX

Post by DarwinX »

Xris wrote:Misty I do get annoyed when such twisted and lying links are referred to.They are sponsored by the oil companies, who have vested interest in convincing the populace by any means possible . So you are admitting there is global warming, is that correct? 99% of scientists educated to understand the question all agree we have climate change caused by human activity. What qualified scientific evidence is there to oppose this overwhelming concensushttp://www.ibtimes.com/climate-change-counterm ... il-1518282

Who did Maurice Strong work for before instigating the IPCC? Answer - Canada Oil. Say no more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Updated January 29th, 2014, 10:48 am to add the following --
Greta wrote: What game is this? I ask a simple question and get only childish accusations.

As far as I am concerned - the weather and climate have not changed in the last 100 years. Disasters far worst than those that have happened recently have occurred in the past. Remember 'the little ice age' millions of people died when this occurred and mankind wasn't responsible for it, it was just a natural occurrence caused by volcanic activity and the sun. The Earth is a natural thermostat, so that any, so called warming, would be immediately compensated for by cold air which would neutralize the apparent warming. Cities create a heat island effect which is only local. IPCC thermometers are located close to urban infrastructure which accounts for their false temperature readings.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Xris, and I get annoyed when the masses are constantly being held captive to the lies of people like Gore. I also bet you did not watch the movie because if you did you would understand natural phenomenon. Did you know that CO2 follows temperature and does not cause it? Did you know the oceans absorb and emit the largest about of CO2, and mankinds contribution is so small it would hardly be noticed? If the masses can be convinced they are the cause then money can be stolen through taxation to fund all the stupid solutions that don't work which makes the pockets of such like Gore swell. The movie also shows how convincing the 3rd world countries to use inferior green products instead of electricity keeps them poor 3rd world countries and their life span continues to be lower than the developed countries and makes their life hard. I live in America and have lived through the last lie which was the earth was cooling. It is a political ploy. Your view keeps those kids you always talk about starving, starving.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Xris

Post by Xris »

As I said Misty you have been convinced by the oil companies propaganda. CO captures the warmth from the sun. It is a scientific fact that it is at its highest concentration for 300 million years. We contribute 10% and the rest is naturally formed. The biggest problem is we are removing the rain forest that absorbed the majority of these green hous gases. If you want an unbiased account [...] I apologise for my passion Misty but I believe it is the biggest disaster awaiting humanity and I think it is disgusting that oil companies are permitted to spread lies and distortions through right wing stooges.
Last edited by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes on February 1st, 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pm sent to post author
Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

Greta wrote:
DarwinX wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Test of knowledge

What game is this? I ask a simple question and get only childish accusations.

The point is that you only think that the majority of scientists accept the the assertion that GW is mostly caused by humans. The fact is that most are skeptical. Most of what you think you know about Climate change is not derived from science but from the TV and the press. The science is far less certain.
"I'm blaming the horrors of Islamic fundamentalism on unrestrained sexuality." Radar.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I already said I was skeptical about what NASA and IPCC claimed. Here's why.

When you watch the weather forecasts on your TV sets, how often do they get it wrong and how often do they revise the forecasts? Too often.

How often does NASA have to change a scheduled launch of a rocket due to bad weather? And do you remember when one of their rocket ships blew up in midair killing all of its passengers? And these are the same folks we're supposed to rely upon for global warming forecasts?

Now we can add on the current record-setting deep freeze the US is going through. I am now convinced that there is no global warming going on and NASA and IPCC have got it wrong.
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on January 30th, 2014, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

Xris wrote:As I said Misty you have been convinced by the oil companies propaganda. CO captures the warmth from the sun. It is a scientific fact that it is at its highest concentration for 300 million years. We contribute 10% and the rest is naturally formed. The biggest problem is we are removing the rain forest that absorbed the majority of these green hous gases. If you want an unbiased account I suggest you reference NASA. I do not take my opinions from self intersted non scientific sources. I apologise for my passion Misty but I believe it is the biggest disaster awaiting humanity and I think it is disgusting that oil companies are permitted to spread lies and distortions through right wing stooges.
This post contains factual inaccuracies. The Jurassic and Cretaceous periods saw concentrations of CO2 far higher than at any point in human history.

The increase in CO2 in the last 100 years of of the order of 0.01% atmospheric content. Laboratory experiments with normal atmospheric contents of CO2 cannot demonstrate any warming remotely similar to even the most lowest estimates of anthropogenic GW claims.

From memory the estimate of CO2 100 years ago were around 0.038% and are believed to have risen to around 0.048%- 0.54%. But on a basis of an increase of 25% you have to account for a rise in temp based on how much historical levels were at all responsible for global temperatures before you estimate how much an increase in GW is caused by increasing CO2. There is also a factor to consider that the increase will not be linear, and diminishing returns will be registered.

Were we to extraolate the claims of the GW hysterics, onto the massive CO2 concentrations around in the Jurassic, the dinosaurs would have been living in a furnace and all life would have been extinguished long before the end of the Cretaceous.

-- Updated January 30th, 2014, 6:42 am to add the following --
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I already said I was skeptical about what NASA and IPCC claimed. Here's why.

When you watch the weather forecasts on your TV sets, how often do they get it wrong and how often do they revise the forecasts? Too often.

How often does NASA have to change a scheduled launch of a rocket due to bad weather? And do you remember when one of their rocket ships blew up in midair killing all of its passengers? And these are the same folks we're supposed to rely upon for global warming forecasts?

Now we can add on the current record-setting deep freeze the US is going through. I am now convinced that there is no global warming going on and NASA and IPCC have got it wrong.
I think it is worth reflecting on the cause of the founding of the IPCC. This was done by Thatcher and Reagan both of whom were interested in smashing the power unions with propaganda; whilst providing a scientific rational for the conservation of fossil fuels to combat the power of OPEC, who had elevated oil prices 5-6 years before. When you pour money into a thing to prove a case, all you get is exactly the result you are looking for. Meteorology and climate studies is not pure science, and what you can prove in a reductionist test tube environment does not necessarily apply to a complex systems such as weather or climate. Thatcher and Reagan created a generation of scientists whose entire career depends on the promotion of the IPCC and all grants these days tend to attract money as long as the tag:" with relation to GW" is added.

Once the basic science is out there it is then picked up by the press who love to exaggerate and simplify. The "hockey stick" is an obvious bit of film-flam. the length of the stick is the result of proxy data from archeological sources, whilst the head of the stick is from high resolution modern observations using the latest techniques; this data should never be presented on the same page let alone on the same graph.
DarwinX

Post by DarwinX »

The properties of Co2 are that with increasing density of its reflection decreases exponentially after it reaches saturation point. Thus, increasing CO2 doesn't necessarily increase its reflective properties to any measurable amount. Don't forget that light has to get through the CO2 before it can be reflected back again. Thus, a large part of the reflection occurs at this point which annuls the backwards reflection of the infra red spectrum. Note - The IPCC did not take into consideration the properties of CO2 when they made their assessment that CO2 was to blame for global warming. They also did not take into consideration the heat island effect which has caused the so called 0.7 degree increase in global temperature. In fact in thousands of pages of IPCC reports the word sun is never mentioned. The sun is, apparently, just an inconvenience to the IPCC which shows the hypocrisy and corruption which is endemic within the IPCC.
Hog Rider

Post by Hog Rider »

DarwinX wrote:The properties of Co2 are that with increasing density of its reflection decreases exponentially after it reaches saturation point. Thus, increasing CO2 doesn't necessarily increase its reflective properties to any measurable amount. Don't forget that light has to get through the CO2 before it can be reflected back again. Thus, a large part of the reflection occurs at this point which annuls the backwards reflection of the infra red spectrum. Note - The IPCC did not take into consideration the properties of CO2 when they made their assessment that CO2 was to blame for global warming. They also did not take into consideration the heat island effect which has caused the so called 0.7 degree increase in global temperature. In fact in thousands of pages of IPCC reports the word sun is never mentioned. The sun is, apparently, just an inconvenience to the IPCC which shows the hypocrisy and corruption which is endemic within the IPCC.
Can you cite any of this?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream