Science needs more... Women!

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
User avatar
Skakos
Posts: 452
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Shestov
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Science needs more... Women!

Post by Skakos »

Image

You guessed correctly.

In science, women are less than men. This applies to positions in research centers and in teaching positions at universities. Only the 1/5 of phDs in physics are given to women in the US.

A research in Yale showed that between two candidates with EXACTLY THE SAME qualifications who applied for a job at a research center, the man is much more likely to be hired. And it is quite startling that this preference to men is also shown by women as well! [nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are ... e&_r=0]

It seems that unfortunately we need a lot more work to debunk certain prejudices.

I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle...
~ το γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι ~

Harmonia Philosophica - Philosophy portal against dogmatism of any kind, religious & scientific alike... http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Gulnara
Posts: 496
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 7:02 am

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Gulnara »

I was in 4th grade and great at physics, better than any boys in my class. Yet, when there was physics club organized at school, teacher picked only boys. I was left out, which was very disappointing. It was USSR, but problem seems to be global. Is this the only point of agreeability of any social structure: socialism, capitalism, feudalism, tribalism? Ladies, we've got job to do! Women's suffrage achieved nothing yet.
Last edited by Gulnara on January 25th, 2014, 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HalfWit
Posts: 103
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 1:28 am

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by HalfWit »

Skakos wrote: I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle...
But then they're no longer doing science. Are you saying that

a) Women are as good as men doing science, so we should hire more of them; or

b) When women do science, they do it differently than men do ... in which case ... what is it they're doing?

Your last paragraph really undermined your argument. You seem confused about whether women are capable of doing the same job as men; or whether the job itself should be redefined to included whatever it is that women do, which is NOT science.

Can you clarify your thesis, please?
User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 1644
Joined: May 4th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell
Location: Newcastle UK.

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Geordie Ross »

Science should be entirely based upon a system of meritocracy, and to my knowledge, it pretty much is. Unfortunately, many aspects of modern society have workplace gender divisions. There are practical reasons for this, mainly that females bare the burdon of child birth, restricting productivity, but ignoring talent and intelligence due to gender also has negative effects.

Ps. Why do you stipulate that spirituality and holism belong specifically to females?
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Misty
Premium Member
Posts: 5934
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Misty »

HalfWit wrote: You seem confused about whether women are capable of doing the same job as men; or whether the job itself should be redefined to included whatever it is that women do, which is NOT science.
What is it that women do?
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Dolphin42
Posts: 886
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 8:05 am
Location: The Evening Star

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Dolphin42 »

I think, as Gulnara's post points out, the playing field is probably not as level as we would like to think it is. Even if girls are not explicitly excluded from school physics clubs and the like, the mere fact that they are currently male dominated must put many off. It's a specific example of a more general very difficult problem.

If there is a section of society who seem to be under-represented in a particular field or discipline, then we can either try to make the playing field as level as possible and hope that natural abilities win out over social pressures, or we can engage in what is often called positive discrimination. Both options have obvious and well discussed drawbacks.

P.S. Is that a woman sitting two places to the left of Einstein on the front row? Or is it Julian Assange?

P.P.S. And how did Hitler manage to sneak in on, ironically, the far left?
HalfWit
Posts: 103
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 1:28 am

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by HalfWit »

Misty wrote:
What is it that women do?
The OP said:

"I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle..."

My question to the OP is whether he thinks the definition of science should be extended to include spiritual and holistic viewpoints, so as to include more women. In which case, it's not science anymore, it's something else. I'm not taking a position on this, I'm trying to understand the OP's contradictory point of view. If a woman does something spiritual, should we give her tenure in the Physics department?
Dolphin42
Posts: 886
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 8:05 am
Location: The Evening Star

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Dolphin42 »

Halfwit: I think the proposition that the inclusion of spiritual and holistic viewpoints is unscientific probably obscures the point you're trying to make and will probably simply lead to an irrelevant argument as to whether that proposition is in fact true. (On a philosophy forum that could take years.)

Your point, as I understand it, is simply that making any change to the character of the subject in question in order to include a particular section of society undermines the argument that this section is unfairly excluded.
User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 1644
Joined: May 4th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell
Location: Newcastle UK.

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Geordie Ross »

Dolphin42 wrote:I think, as Gulnara's post points out, the playing field is probably not as level as we would like to think it is. Even if girls are not explicitly excluded from school physics clubs and the like, the mere fact that they are currently male dominated must put many off. It's a specific example of a more general very difficult problem.

If there is a section of society who seem to be under-represented in a particular field or discipline, then we can either try to make the playing field as level as possible and hope that natural abilities win out over social pressures, or we can engage in what is often called positive discrimination. Both options have obvious and well discussed drawbacks.

P.S. Is that a woman sitting two places to the left of Einstein on the front row? Or is it Julian Assange?

P.P.S. And how did Hitler manage to sneak in on, ironically, the far left?

Haha! That made me laugh! Julian Assange is Marie Curie, and Hitler is Peter Debye I think?

It is a brilliant photo jam packed with Nobel prize winners and laureates.
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Misty
Premium Member
Posts: 5934
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Misty »

HalfWit wrote:
Misty wrote:
What is it that women do?
The OP said:

"I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle..."

My question to the OP is whether he thinks the definition of science should be extended to include spiritual and holistic viewpoints, so as to include more women. In which case, it's not science anymore, it's something else. I'm not taking a position on this, I'm trying to understand the OP's contradictory point of view. If a woman does something spiritual, should we give her tenure in the Physics department?
Thanks, now I get your post. Women have to want to go into the science field, maybe they need more encouragement in that direction, or maybe there are just a small number interested in the first place. As a child I would have loved to have been geared toward science in lieu of cooking classes which I hated.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Dolphin42
Posts: 886
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 8:05 am
Location: The Evening Star

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Dolphin42 »

Ah! Thanks GR. Is that Max Planck to the left of Marie Curie/Julian Assange?
User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 1644
Joined: May 4th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell
Location: Newcastle UK.

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Geordie Ross »

Yes, I think it's Planck, and Lorentz is on her left (our right)
The good life is one inspired by love, and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 2116
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I have heard that 90% of the doctors in Russia are female. If true, then I wonder why the difference from the science field?
HalfWit
Posts: 103
Joined: July 20th, 2013, 1:28 am

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by HalfWit »

Dolphin42 wrote:Halfwit: I think the proposition that the inclusion of spiritual and holistic viewpoints is unscientific probably obscures the point you're trying to make and will probably simply lead to an irrelevant argument as to whether that proposition is in fact true. (On a philosophy forum that could take years.)

Your point, as I understand it, is simply that making any change to the character of the subject in question in order to include a particular section of society undermines the argument that this section is unfairly excluded.
I do not disagree that women are unfairly excluded. I'm just asking what it would mean to make science more spiritual? For example, if you can't figure out why the quarks go this way instead of that way, just say, "Oh well, it's the spirits," and this would be regarded as valid science as long as a woman does it?

I am trying to understand what the OP is saying. If the OP believes that women are spiritual and holistic, does the OP believe that science should (somehow) be made more spiritual and holistic? What does that even mean? The poor dears can't sling equations but they can sure be spiritual? OP's statement seems very condescending to me.

If you want more women in science, then women have to do science. You can't just say that women are spiritual so we'll redefine science as spirituality. What sense does that make? Why not just define not-science as science, and now LOTS of women are doing science?

Perhaps you could give me a concrete example of how physics can be made more spiritual or holistic by women. Is Noether's theorem an example of female spirituality in physics? How about the work of Lise Meitner? Did she bring holistic thinking to physics?

Not to mention that the premise itself is false. Did Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, and Golda Meir bring a soft, gentle, spiritual, holistic touch to politics? Politics is hardball and those three ladies played hardball. They were tougher than the men around them, not weaker.

You and the OP are slinging vague generalities and thinking with very fuzzy logic. Women will bring spirituality to physics? Would you explain how Lisa Randall brings spirituality and holistic thinking to physics? What exactly are you talking about? Tell me so I can understand it. A man who can't hack the math gets rejected from science, but a woman is granted tenure because she's spiritual? I really want to understand the thinking behind this idea, which seems to me to claim that women can't actually do science so let's let them be scientists because they're warm and empathic. It's an extremely condescending point of view. You want more women in physics because they're good at stroking male egos?

I ask again: What place does spirituality have in physics (OP's word, not mine) and what makes anyone think women should be brought into physics not because they can do physics, but because they're spiritual? What nonsense is this?
User avatar
Gene16180
Posts: 161
Joined: July 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Re: Science needs more... Women!

Post by Gene16180 »

Skakos wrote:A research in Yale showed that between two candidates with EXACTLY THE SAME qualifications who applied for a job at a research center, the man is much more likely to be hired. And it is quite startling that this preference to men is also shown by women as well!
This is not a problem indigenous to the scientific community, but rather speaks to a general societal prejudice. Science may harbor its bigots, but I see no reason to think that science is more discriminatory then any other institution – for example religion, where women are explicitly prohibited from holding certain positions.

Skakos wrote:In science, women are less than men. This applies to positions in research centers and in teaching positions at universities. Only the 1/5 of phDs in physics are given to women in the US.
As I said, there may be some discrimination, however, the main issue is that less women pursue research careers in science compared to men. Thus, even if we completely control for all discrimination, the ratio of men to women would still be heavily skewed in fields like physics.
Skakos wrote:I personally believe that women can give science what it currently lacks: A more spiritual and holistic view to the problems of the cosmos. We have treated universe as a machine for too long. It is time to look at things from a different angle...
I know several brilliant female researchers in my field of neuroscience. None of them think this way and would not appreciate you stereotyping them. Your attempt at appearing egalitarian would likely be perceived by many female researchers as being naïve at best, bigoted at worst.







HalfWit wrote:I do not disagree that women are unfairly excluded. I'm just asking what it would mean to make science more spiritual? For example, if you can't figure out why the quarks go this way instead of that way, just say, "Oh well, it's the spirits," and this would be regarded as valid science as long as a woman does it?

I am trying to understand what the OP is saying. If the OP believes that women are spiritual and holistic, does the OP believe that science should (somehow) be made more spiritual and holistic? What does that even mean? The poor dears can't sling equations but they can sure be spiritual? OP's statement seems very condescending to me.

If you want more women in science, then women have to do science. You can't just say that women are spiritual so we'll redefine science as spirituality. What sense does that make? Why not just define not-science as science, and now LOTS of women are doing science?

Perhaps you could give me a concrete example of how physics can be made more spiritual or holistic by women. Is Noether's theorem an example of female spirituality in physics? How about the work of Lise Meitner? Did she bring holistic thinking to physics?

Not to mention that the premise itself is false. Did Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, and Golda Meir bring a soft, gentle, spiritual, holistic touch to politics? Politics is hardball and those three ladies played hardball. They were tougher than the men around them, not weaker.

You and the OP are slinging vague generalities and thinking with very fuzzy logic. Women will bring spirituality to physics? Would you explain how Lisa Randall brings spirituality and holistic thinking to physics? What exactly are you talking about? Tell me so I can understand it. A man who can't hack the math gets rejected from science, but a woman is granted tenure because she's spiritual? I really want to understand the thinking behind this idea, which seems to me to claim that women can't actually do science so let's let them be scientists because they're warm and empathic. It's an extremely condescending point of view. You want more women in physics because they're good at stroking male egos?

I ask again: What place does spirituality have in physics (OP's word, not mine) and what makes anyone think women should be brought into physics not because they can do physics, but because they're spiritual? What nonsense is this?
I agree. Well put.
Post Reply

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021