Does (abstract) time exist?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Felix

Re: Does (abstract) time exist?

Post by Felix »

Obvious Leo said: "To suggest that this process requires a conscious intent is completely contrary to the evidence and nothing more than intelligent design by another name."

You seem to be missing the point... this process (the Universe) is not an intelligent process, and it has no organizing principle behind it? It is a purely random process? Is that what you're saying?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix. I'm not missing your point, I'm simply disagreeing with it. I certainly don't suggest that the universe is a consequence of random events because if it were it could have no structure. In fact I deny the existence of a random event and insist that all events must have a cause, including the main event itself. In that sense I regard the universe as the uber-event. This uber-event most certainly has an organising principle which underpins it and this organising principle is self-evident. Evolution towards informational complexity is the fundamental self-organising principle of the cosmos and the evidence for this is all around us. Immediately after the big bang the universe had almost no structure and 13.8 billion years later it hosts a vast suite of informationally complex structures, the most complex of which are life and mind.

Nobody bar the creationist nutcases would deny that biological evolution is self-organising and I merely assert that cosmic evolution is the same and that biological evolution is simply a natural extension of it. This obviates the necessity for a blind leap of faith and the assumption of a conscious intent because consciousness emerges naturally in an evolving system, as our own existence would indicate.

Self-organisation is the central plank of process philosophy and underpins most of modern science, especially complexity theory, information theory, control theory and cybernetics. For me to elaborate on its core principles here would be a major digression but if you're seriously interested in what I'm banging on about I would highly recommend John Conway's Game of Life as the simplest model to get a grasp of the basics of it. This model shows how highly complex structures can emerge as a consequence of a single simple law. This law is that all effects are preceded by causes and I regard this as the only fundamental law in the universe from which all the emergent laws can be derived. The designer is unnecessary and in an appeal to Occam economy that which is unnecessary cannot be.

Regards Leo
Felix

Post by Felix »

I don't think we disagree, Leo, we're just speaking different languages. I'm saying that self-organising = conscious. Consciousness (or awareness) is not the same as self-awareness. Consciousness exists, ponderable matter exists, they go together, you cannot have/know one without the other. The Universe is more than what it appears to be. This can be directly apprehended in so-called mystical states of consciousness in which the usual dualistic subject/object state of awareness is transcended.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix wrote:I don't think we disagree, Leo, we're just speaking different languages. I'm saying that self-organising = conscious. Consciousness (or awareness) is not the same as self-awareness. Consciousness exists, ponderable matter exists, they go together, you cannot have/know one without the other. The Universe is more than what it appears to be. This can be directly apprehended in so-called mystical states of consciousness in which the usual dualistic subject/object state of awareness is transcended.
Your perspective has a close parallel with those of Albert Einstein and Baruch Spinoza and I actually take no issue with it. However my own pragmatist world-view makes me shudder at the merest hint of mysticism, or that which lies beyond the reach of the human experience. I suspect there are as many definitions of consciousness as there are thinkers who deliberate on such matters and I thank you for your clarification.

Regards Leo
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Felix wrote:This can be directly apprehended in so-called mystical states of consciousness in which the usual dualistic subject/object state of awareness is transcended.
Tricks of the subconscious. Such as with the abstraction of time as proposed in the OP.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Felix

Post by Felix »

"that which lies beyond the reach of the human experience."

It's hardly "beyond the reach of the human experience," because people have been experiencing this transcendent awareness for millenia now. In fact, the concept of omnipresent consciousness is grounded far more in human experience, and is thus more credible, than the theory of emergent consciousness, which no one has ever experienced and of which there is no convincing evidence.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

We'll have to agree to differ then Felix. In my opinion "omnipresent consciousness" is simply a new term for self-delusion and the evidence for the evolution of emergent consciousness has never been seriously questioned. If consciousness did not emerge in sentient organisms through the well-understood mechanisms of evolution then where the hell did it come from?

Regards Leo
Felix

Post by Felix »

"If consciousness did not emerge in sentient organisms through the well-understood mechanisms of evolution then where the hell did it come from?"

That's like asking where the universe came from. As I said, like the Universe, I suspect it has always existed.

There is no credible evidence to support the theory that consciousness emerged in sentient organisms. If there was, we'd be able to say when it emerged, in what species it emerged, what kind of nervous system is required for it to emerge, etc. Science can't answer any of these essential questions and yet you claim the idea is self evident. What exactly is evident, let alone self-evident, about it?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix wrote: There is no credible evidence to support the theory that consciousness emerged in sentient organisms.
Rubbish.
Felix

Post by Felix »

It's an obvious request: if you're going to make a claim, you should be able to back it up... Where is the evidence to support the claim that consciousness is an emergent property of matter? Can you answer the questions I posed in my previous post? (when and under what conditions it has emerged, etc.). The idea that consciousness is omnipresent is at least founded in human subjective experience, the emergent consciousness premise doesn't even have that going for it.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Felix wrote:It's an obvious request: if you're going to make a claim, you should be able to back it up... Where is the evidence to support the claim that consciousness is an emergent property of matter? Can you answer the questions I posed in my previous post? (when and under what conditions it has emerged, etc.). The idea that consciousness is omnipresent is at least founded in human subjective experience, the emergent consciousness premise doesn't even have that going for it.
I believe what you're bringing up is worthy of a separate thread. I like to keep this thread focused on abstract time (on the proposed new thread, you can title it Is consciousness an emergent property of matter?).

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on July 20th, 2014, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thought_2000

Post by Thought_2000 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Several threads about time have run. Yet we haven't gotten down to the nitty gritty, does time exist? Makes no sense to try to define time with measuring devices like clocks or calendars without first determining if time exists because if it doesn't exist, then with or without those measuring devices (including calendars), we may be wasting our time trying to define time on the basis of measuring devices and time-explicit and time-implicit equations may have no backbone to them if we don't know whether time exists.

A closely related question to the topic title is whether abstract time is objective? Because if so, we may never know the true nature of time. Now I turn the floor over to you.

PhilX

"We are all in the now (present) of time and existence that was created which is the objective answer you seek. The measuring instruments you speak of were built by mankind"
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix wrote:It's an obvious request: if you're going to make a claim, you should be able to back it up... Where is the evidence to support the claim that consciousness is an emergent property of matter? Can you answer the questions I posed in my previous post? (when and under what conditions it has emerged, etc.). The idea that consciousness is omnipresent is at least founded in human subjective experience, the emergent consciousness premise doesn't even have that going for it.
This is false. That consciousness has emerged naturally as a consequence of well-understood evolutionary processes is mainstream biology. I've been a biologist all my life and I've never heard anybody say different. If you want to claim that consciousness emerged as a consequence of some other mechanism then it's you that is making the unscientific claim and therefore the burden of proof lies with you and not with me. Kindly explain this mechanism.

There are thousands of texts which deal with this subject and I have no intention of summarising their principles here because this conversation has gone beyond absurd. Such dualist Cartesian garbage is unworthy of a man of science and you might find yourself more at home with the believers.

Regards Leo
Felix

Post by Felix »

PhilX said: "I believe what you're bringing up is worthy of a separate thread."

Yes, I apologize, Phil, for hijacking your thread, this will be my final replay on this topic....

Obvious Leo said: "That consciousness has emerged naturally as a consequence of well-understood evolutionary processes is mainstream biology."

Which evolutionary processes? Natural selection? It cannot explain the emergence of consciousness. You keep repeating the mantra that it emerged naturally but you can't tell me how that happened. Just refer me to the book or studies that answer the fundamental questions I posed previously: when it emerged, in what species it emerged, what kind of nervous system was required for it to emerge - etc.

"you might find yourself more at home with the believers."

Which believers? People like you who have faith in a theory - emergent consciousness - that they cannot explain? You can't say how, when or why it happened, we're just supposed to be dazzled by the sheer brilliance of your conceptual model and accept it?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

You're using the argument of the men in frocks which completely put me off teleology in my childhood. Asking which species was the first to evolve consciousness is like asking which was the first to evolve a liver, as if a liver was a part of the plan and as if anything can evolve independent of an entire biosphere. There is no plan and to think in this way is putting the cart before the horse. ( or Descartes before des Horace ). It also displays a poor understanding of speciation.
Felix wrote:Which evolutionary processes? Natural selection? It cannot explain the emergence of consciousness.
You make this bold statement as if it were a statement of fact when in fact it is an unscientific opinion based on a belief. Just because you don't understand evolution doesn't mean nobody else does. I don't understand how a 2 stroke engine works but I don't see a supernatural hand in it, merely my limited knowledge. Natural selection is not the straightforward mechanism you appear to assume it to be. Living systems are dynamic and therefore non-linear but any feature that has survival value is selected for by top-down causal connections. Most of our disagreement is definitional because you appear to regard consciousness as somehow different from other biological phenomena. Why do you believe this? In my own stripped-to-the bones definition consciousness is simply the ability to absorb information from the environment and use it purposefully to aid in survival. Thus all organisms with independent motility are conscious, to a greater or lesser extent. If I were pushed to drawing a line in the sand, and I deny that such a line exists, then consciousness began with the trilobites, which were arguably the first order to purposefully move towards their food sources and away from predators. For this they needed a central information processing system which subsequently evolved into a brain. This information processing capacity conferred survival value on them and therefore gave them a reproductive advantage, so the "smart" trilobites had more offspring than the "stupid" ones.

If you know anything at all about evolution you will understand that "smartness" was thus being selected for and I would call this the birth of consciousness. Evolutionary biology can trace a 500 million year lineage of increasing complexity in this capacity for purposeful behaviour and I've never heard any scientist suggest that human consciousness arose by any other mechanism. This is why I reckon the burden of proof lies with you if you want to suggest something different because this is not a very difficult proposition to understand. Any alternative explanation is beyond the reach of science and therefore of no interest to me. There seem to be plenty of others in this forum who support the idea of intelligent design and you'd be better off chatting with them.

Regards Leo

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream