Does (abstract) time exist?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Felix

Re: Does (abstract) time exist?

Post by Felix »

I was referring to consciousness in the broad sense, which has nothing to do with the intelligent design argument.

"In my own stripped-to-the bones definition consciousness is simply the ability to absorb information from the environment and use it purposefully to aid in survival."

Your definitions are not descriptive, they are merely redundent, e.g., "consciousness is the evolution of the capacity for purposeful behaviour." By "purposeful behaviour" you mean what exactly, a will to survive? And you're saying this capacity is "emergent"? Fine, how did it emerge?

I'm still waiting for you to explain the "well-understood evolutionary processes" that explain the emergence or origin of consciousness. So far all I've heard is circular reasoning.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix wrote: I'm still waiting for you to explain the "well-understood evolutionary processes" that explain the emergence or origin of consciousness. So far all I've heard is circular reasoning.
You'll be waiting a long time, Felix, because explaining evolution to somebody who can't grasp its basic principles is not something I can do in a forum such as this, but luckily there are plenty of people around who can do this far better than I can. I'll give you a bit of a list in order. Start with Charles Darwin to get the basics. Then move onto J.B.S. Haldane, E.O. Wilson, Steven J Gould, Jared Diamond and Richard Dawkins. These scholars present what I would call "classical" evolution theory. However evolutionary theory has itself evolved over time, as all scientific paradigms do except those used in physics, and 21st century evolutionary theory is now the preserve of the complexity theorists who focus on the notion of living systems as conforming to the mathematical protocols of non-linear dynamics. The leading players in this expanded field are Ilya Prigogine, Fritjof Capra, Lynn Margulis, James Lovelock, Humberto Maturana and Francisco Varela.

Once you've got through all of them get back to me and I'll give you another list.

Regards Leo
Felix

Post by Felix »

None of those sources you mention can explain how or why consciousness arose or emerged (whatever word you want to use for it), only how it may have evolved once it did arise.

But we need a new thread on this subject, if there isn't one already - probbaly is.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix wrote:None of those sources you mention can explain how or why consciousness arose or emerged (whatever word you want to use for it), only how it may have evolved once it did arise
How do you know if you haven't read them? If you've already made up your mind then you'd probably be wasting your time but if you've already made up your mind then I can't understand what you're doing here. Obviously the facts are of no interest to you and even less so the interpretation of such facts by those who have spent their lives in disciplined scholarship. You embarrass yourself.

Regards Leo
Felix

Post by Felix »

I've read many of the sources you mentioned, but like I said we, need a new thread... hopefully in it you'll explain how even the simplest unicellular organisms can process "information" from the environment and engage in "purposeful behaviour."
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Yep, Felix, I completely agree with you. Trying to explain how psychological phenomena like consciousness, awareness, and intelligence somehow 'arose' solely via the interaction of physical phenomena like 'dead matter', energy, force, mechanics, physics, etc is a logical absurdity and is clung to by many only due to their insistence on upholding their subjective worldview of the Universe as some kind of gigantic whirling mechanical toy.
Felix

Post by Felix »

To tie the original and tangential topics of this thread together: IF consciousness emerged from matter, we could say that "abstract time" emerged when it (consciousness) did. Prior to that, time could have existed physically - as atomic time or whatever - but not as an abstract, measureable concept. However, it is nonsensical (literally) to affirm the existence of something that can not be perceived or conceived. Without the perceiver there are no percepts - and vice versa.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Felix. I've moved on from this thread because I felt it was getting a bit bogged down, mostly in semantics, as such things often do. However I haven't given up and have been posting in the Big Bang thread and also in What is a Brain. These may seem like unrelated subjects at face value but if you check them out you'll find that I don't regard them as such. If you're interested please join in but as a matter of courtesy you'd be wise to start at the beginning of both before offering your two bob's worth, which I'd be very interested in hearing.

Regards Leo
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Felix, no one can explain how consciousness arose from 'dead matter' because it never did. The mere idea is absurd. Note that your detractor did not take up your challenge, but rather threw out a ad-hominem and suggested you were too ignorant to talk to. This is typical of this type of person.

Consciousness is an inherently, fundamentally, different type of phenomenon as mechanicalness. It could not be the result of their interaction with each other. Something new is now present that cannot be an agglomeration of the former. If a bunch of mechanical forces interact with each other the end result will be mechanicalness. This is sound reason and holds up to the reality we see around us. The only reason some people oppose this fundamental truth is because they personally don't like it. The mere idea of unknown Conscious forces playing a big role in the Universe is their greatest fear and their worst nightmare.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Atreyu. "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent"

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This metaphysicist may be interesting reading (if you can find his works on the internet):

John McTaggart Ellis McTaggart, commonly John McTaggart or J. M. E. McTaggart (3 September 1866 – 18 January 1925) was an idealist metaphysician.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I studied Mc Taggart in some considerable detail because all philosophies of time are relevant to my own. I wouldn't suggest to anybody else not to seek him out, but I personally thought he was a dickhead. This was then, and is still now, the prevailing opinion of the philosophical community, so I was relieved to find that I wasn't alone.

Regards Leo

Despite this unfortunate experience I still have a warm affection for the Scots. Like us Aussies they have an irreverent sense of humour.
Farsight
New Trial Member

Post by Farsight »

McTaggart wrote about Presentism in 1908, which is the opposite of Eternalism. Einstein is considered to have adopted an eternalist viewpoint, but later in life he switched to presentism. See "A World without Time: the Forgotten Legacy of Gödel and Einstein". It's heavy going at times (!) but interesting reading.

Sorry if all this has been mentioned before.
Michael A

Post by Michael A »

Consciousness requires neurological functioning. Neuroanatomic and other neuroscientific observations correlate the state of consciousness with a type of tissue called the "reticular formation," in the central nervous system of sensate beings

Very small beings such as insects have consciousness, if we define consciousness as being aware of and independently able to react to events in their surroundings.

The "insect" analogy suggests that beings as small as that possess amounts of certain types of central nervous system tissue sufficient to process consciousness (and instinctive behavior, another function these tiny beings possess). To me, that means that a minuscule amount of certain types of nervous tissue (types of tissue mediating consciousness and instincts) are required for these abilities. Other abilities, like rational thought, would require larger amounts of other types of central nervous system tissues, such as gray matter.)
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Several threads about time have run. Yet we haven't gotten down to the nitty gritty, does time exist? Makes no sense to try to define time with measuring devices like clocks or calendars without first determining if time exists because if it doesn't exist, then with or without those measuring devices (including calendars), we may be wasting our time trying to define time on the basis of measuring devices and time-explicit and time-implicit equations may have no backbone to them if we don't know whether time exists.

A closely related question to the topic title is whether abstract time is objective? Because if so, we may never know the true nature of time. Now I turn the floor over to you.

PhilX
I think time is IN everything, and each thing is a clock to another thing, and if there were no things, there would be no time. Time, as most people think of it as a ghost or a phantom, is just an illusion. The atoms and subatomic particles in my hands are “clocks / time” the moving and position of things are the only real “time” that there is. What makes a clock to move is firstly itself and then gravity and speed at which it is traveling.

That’s why absolute zero is not possible, because that means atoms stand still, and in a moving universe, that’s a bit weird. That’s also why I had a post where you visited where I claimed that to copy something and to time travel is almost the same difference. A copy of yourself, three years back, puts that copy as much into the future as when the “real” person would visit your time. There is virtually no difference, because the atoms, how they move and at what speed is what makes the time nothing more nothing less.
We are a frozen spirit; our thoughts a cloud of droplets; different oceans and ages brood inside – where spirit sublimates. To some our words, an acid rain, to some it is too pure, to some infectious, to some a cure.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream