Will we ever find dark matter and dark energy?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Will we ever find dark matter and dark energy?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Scott asked:

"Then answer the question dark energy of what."

Answering a question with another question isn't good form Scott. Since I asked first, you're obliged to answer first and I'll answer once you get serious.

PhilX
The question is rhetorical if course. This and the others demonstrate the absurdity of this type of question, which is fallaciously loaded with prescribing location to categorical sets of intangibles.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Thank you for your gracious words Misty and please don't take my mockery of theism personally. That's just my schtick and if it turns out I'm wrong I hope the big G has got a sense of humour.

I reckon the bible is a perfect proof that the meaning of words lies in the mind of the reader and never in the intent of the writer. We all see what we want to see and none of us is exempt from this, including me. My first hint that the bible was probably just a metaphor occurred in my early childhood when I wondered how they managed to get the kangaroos on board the ark. Herding kangaroos is no bargain.

Regards Leo
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Scott wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Scott asked:

"Then answer the question dark energy of what."

Answering a question with another question isn't good form Scott. Since I asked first, you're obliged to answer first and I'll answer once you get serious.

PhilX
The question is rhetorical if course. This and the others demonstrate the absurdity of this type of question, which is fallaciously loaded with prescribing location to categorical sets of intangibles.
Of course you're not in the habit of asking rhetorical questions which provides an unconvincing, convenient excuse for you. Not good manners on your part.

PhilX
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

My habits and manners are not of discussion. Please stay on topic and drop the ad hominem comments.

Do you have any on-topic response to the point--as illustrated by the many example questions--that questions of the type of the titular one are nonsensical because they prescribe location to categorical sets of intangibles?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Misty wrote:I went out on youtube to listen to 'Judith' by A Perfect Circle. It has to be the most hideous, so called music, I have ever heard. The lyrics are disgusting.
They're only "disgusting" because you are unaware of the story and meaning behind the lyrics. You continue to judge books by their covers and that's what the song is about; not questioning things enough! Such as it is with this "dark matter" and "dark energy" nonsense!
Misty wrote:I now see where you get some of your ideas. It is a shame.
Which ideas would those be?
Misty wrote:My personal take on dark matter/energy is there is no proof that they exist, yet.
Of course there is no proof. But what is your personal opinion on the matter? There have been many strong opinions presented on the topic. Do you care to add one more?
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Scott wrote:My habits and manners are not of discussion. Please stay on topic and drop the ad hominem comments.

Do you have any on-topic response to the point--as illustrated by the many example questions--that questions of the type of the titular one are nonsensical because they prescribe location to categorical sets of intangibles?
That's better. You do care after all. So you're asking where do we find dark energy? The answer is quite simple. Dark energy is found...all over the universe. Now you're claiming you don't see it in your backyard (if you got one). That's right, you don't. That's because in (relatively) small areas such as the earth or our solar system it's undetectable. You have to get to get to the size of galaxies to detect it. I have that on good authority.

So now you're asking why the questions if I know the answers? Simple, because I'm really asking what dark energy (and dark matter) are composed of? So far no answers to this question, just speculation.

Well Scott, what are your speculations?

PhilX
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

So what's your theist take on "dark matter" and "dark energy"? Are they the stuff of gods?
I don't know and don't particularly care. I accept the existence of Dark Matter and Dark Energy only because scientists say with confidence that there are such things. People nowadays listen to scientists like they used to listen to priests.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Theophane wrote: People nowadays listen to scientists like they used to listen to priests.
How very true. The absence of critical thinking is the curse of our times and a symptom of intellectual laziness. When our physicists offer us a model of the cosmos that makes no sense too many of us are willing to say "Oh, well. They know more about it than I do so we must live in a cosmos that makes no sense".

Well this is not true. They don't know more about it than you do and from many perspectives they know far less because of their confining ivory tower mentality. The comprehension of our universe is not the sole preserve of a handful of supergeeks who happen to be good at arithmetic. It is the birthright of us all and thus accessible to us all. Einstein said it and Wheeler said it and these have been the two greatest thinkers in 20th century physics. If it doesn't make sense it means it's WRONG.

Regards Leo
Uriahharris

Post by Uriahharris »

I would not be able to answer the question, as my lack of high level mathematics and only base understanding of physics allows. I would bother to ask the question, what is dark matter and dark energy in relation to the universe as we know it. Would it be related to our thoughts and ideals. Can it be defined, and if not, then is it a contradictory definition? If it is contradictory, then by what means do they contradict to our universe?
-UriahHarris
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Misty wrote:I answered Spiral Outs question about what the gods think of dark energy and dark matter with "the bible does not mention either."
That was not the question. You had "answered" with:
Misty wrote:My personal take on dark matter/energy is there is no proof that they exist, yet. The bible does not mention either.
Is that really your personal take? Do you have any thoughts independent of what the bible says?

I had asked you:
Spiral Out wrote:So what's your theist take on "dark matter" and "dark energy"? Are they the stuff of gods?
I didn't ask you what the bible says about "dark matter/energy" since it's a scientific proposal and it's obvious that the bible cannot say anything about it. You had "answered" by simply stating facts. Do you have any opinions that the bible doesn't dictate to you?

So what is your opinion on "dark matter" and "dark energy"? (Opinions are independent of obvious facts.)

I'm just looking for your theist opinion on the subject. Do you have any rational or logical arguments either for or against the existence of "dark matter/energy" from a theist's perspective? (not what the bible says)
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I think you may have asked Misty an unfair question, Spiral. Theists aren't allowed to do their own thinking. That's what the bible's for.

Regards Leo
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:I think you may have asked Misty an unfair question, Spiral. Theists aren't allowed to do their own thinking. That's what the bible's for.

Regards Leo
What have I done to you Leo to deserve this rude post?

Misty

-- Updated Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 pm to add the following --
Spiral Out wrote:
Misty wrote:I went out on youtube to listen to 'Judith' by A Perfect Circle. It has to be the most hideous, so called music, I have ever heard. The lyrics are disgusting. (Nested quote removed.)
They're only "disgusting" because you are unaware of the story and meaning behind the lyrics. You continue to judge books by their covers and that's what the song is about; not questioning things enough! Such as it is with this "dark matter" and "dark energy" nonsense!
Spiral Out,

I listened to the entire song and there was no story or meaning other than just bashing God and those that believe. It was terrible music with terrible lyrics. You know it is not true that I don't question things. Do I have to be like you to have an opinion? I am reading a book on DE/DM/ and when I form my opinion, I will post.

Misty
Last edited by Misty on July 23rd, 2014, 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Misty wrote: What have I done to you Leo to deserve this rude post?
I intended no offence, Misty, and bear you no ill-will whatsoever. On the contrary I enjoy reading your posts and will continue doing so. I apologise without reservation for my thoughtless remark as I momentarily forgot how sensitive theists are to satire. We atheists learn to grow thick skins because we are confronted daily with far more malicious attacks but I don't offer this as an excuse. I'm not a malicious bloke and I won't do it again.

Regards Leo
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Misty wrote: What have I done to you Leo to deserve this rude post?
I intended no offence, Misty, and bear you no ill-will whatsoever. On the contrary I enjoy reading your posts and will continue doing so. I apologise without reservation for my thoughtless remark as I momentarily forgot how sensitive theists are to satire. We atheists learn to grow thick skins because we are confronted daily with far more malicious attacks but I don't offer this as an excuse. I'm not a malicious bloke and I won't do it again.

Regards Leo
Thank you, Leo. This just struck me harder because of the struggle I have had with both atheists and religious people. I consider myself a person who does think for herself, it is dear to me because there was a time in my life when I was not able to do so. I did not mean to come across as over sensitive. I also have a great sense of humor. I know you are not malicious. Have a lovely day. Misty
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Spiral Out wrote:Every time you mention your god I tend to hear in my mind the lyrics to the song "Judith" by A Perfect Circle.
So... That's the kind of "hymns" you're chanting or meditating on. ;) The kind that put others down for believing in different subjective beliefs than the song writer's. Dogma is not limited to Theists.

Has anybody defined God yet, or is just the most dysfunctional definition of God being exclusively focused on with blinders to the countless others? If "god is love" then there's no debate. If god is one's "ultimate concern," then again all knowingly or unknowingly believe in and prioritize their own god (which most worship subconsciously). If God is objective truth, we are all clueless fools in any attempts to pin point exact principles and realities of God. IMO, God is a way of referring to love, ultimate concerns ("the kingdom of God is within you"), objective truth and much more, like other dimensions, that may be part of objective truth, but beyond imagination.

Maybe dark energy is the cosmic web that connects all energy... God..."e pluribus unum" (out of one many) and greater than the sum of its apparent parts, known not by direct observation but by evidence of influence.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream