Is there a way to refute '1+1 = 2'?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Gulnara

Re: Is there a way to refute '1+1 = 2'?

Post by Gulnara »

Ramin22 wrote:Hi. Some claim that '1+1=2' is true. It seems to me that '1+1 = 2' is like a short movie in our head. 2 dots get toghether or something like that. Now if you say this is wrong in general and point out that sometimes '1 + 1 = 3', by pointing out that if you put a man and a woman together, after 9 months there is 3 of them. Then supporters of '1 + 1 = 2', will claim that it was a wrong application of the theory. So they have a winning strategy. There is no way they can lose. They have a movie script in mind, if you make a movie that doesn't end the way their script does, they say it was not based on that script. Which is true. But then saying that their script is true doesn't make sense. Or does it?

Ramin
1 + 1 means 1 and 1 and equals 2. What is 2? The mark called 2 was chosen and named so to be a shorthand when depicting, drawing or writing 1 and 1. Instead of writing 200 times 1 and 1 and 1..., we can shortly write 200. 1 is then shorthand for depicting actual object counted. Instead of drawing entire person, or building, or fruit, I can simply write the mark 1 which people agreed to go with something separate, individual, the thing of its own. It became anonymous mark that goes with anything, can be attached to anything. Same goes for every other number.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

[quote="Ramin22"]Hi. Some claim that '1+1=2' is true. It seems to me that '1+1 = 2' is like a short movie in our head. 2 dots get toghether or something like that. Now if you say this is wrong in general and point out that sometimes '1 + 1 = 3', by pointing out that if you put a man and a woman together, after 9 months there is 3 of them. Then supporters of '1 + 1 = 2', will claim that it was a wrong application of the theory. So they have a winning strategy. There is no way they can lose. They have a movie script in mind, if you make a movie that doesn't end the way their script does, they say it was not based on that script. Which is true. But then saying that their script is true doesn't make sense. Or does it?

How about a person born with two DNA"s? 1 DNA+1 DNA = 4 DNA's
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Q7382
New Trial Member

Post by Q7382 »

Gulnara wrote:1 + 1 means 1 and 1 and equals 2. What is 2? The mark called 2 was chosen and named so to be a shorthand when depicting, drawing or writing 1 and 1. Instead of writing 200 times 1 and 1 and 1..., we can shortly write 200. 1 is then shorthand for depicting actual object counted. Instead of drawing entire person, or building, or fruit, I can simply write the mark 1 which people agreed to go with something separate, individual, the thing of its own. It became anonymous mark that goes with anything, can be attached to anything. Same goes for every other number.
I think this answer is simplest and most direct. In essence, saying "1+1" is just another way of saying "2".

The idea of refuting "1 + 1 = 2" is then akin to refuting a definition. A definition may be useful or useless in given communicative context, or it can comport or not comport with common usage, but it can't properly be called correct or incorrect; hence it doesn't make sense to speak of a definition being proven or refuted.

However, to get a final satisfying answer on the overall issue requires a firm definition of each symbol. If, as someone mentioned already, we take the symbols as instructions on how to visualize various numbers of dots, we will regard the result as obvious: "Yes, if I imagine a dot on the left side of my visual field and I imagine another dot on the right side of my visual field at the same time, I am now clearly seeing two dots on my visual field."

In other words, I suggest that any uncertainty around "1 + 1 = 2" arises not from any empirical question, but from the fact that various people and various schools of mathematical thought will interpret those symbols differently. One person sees dots, while another envisions something much more complicated and abstract involving set theoretic concepts believed to be required for the foundations of mathematics. It is not so much that there is no clear answer to the OP's question as that there is no one agreed-upon way to specify the question, at least in a rigorous context.
Ben Saint-Clair

Post by Ben Saint-Clair »

In group theory in mathematics if you are working with a cyclic group C3 under addition 2+2=1.

Boom.

all mathematical truth depends upon axioms and the implications and laws of inference used upon those axioms.
Nemisisx

Post by Nemisisx »

Why would yo want to refute it? It's a pragmatic reality, you can give it the "man in the street test" based (very loosely) on Wittgenstein who suggested that a skeptical objection to an established fact must have reasonable grounds to be valid. That is the skeptical objection, weighed up against the weight of reasonable proof should be greater for it to be valid. Go into a store count out 1 dollar then 1 dollar ( indicating that you have handed over 7 dollars) to a shop assistant, for an article that costs 7 dollars. see what happens. Then run your movie script theory passed them. See what happens, that's a basic man in the street test.
Philophile
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Philophile »

Alan Masterman wrote: 1+1 = 1+s(0) = s(1+0) = s(1) = 2
Please explain. s(0) is what? Do you mean s 'times' 0 or the function s at 0. Please define s.
Ben Saint-Clair

Post by Ben Saint-Clair »

Philophile wrote:
Alan Masterman wrote: 1+1 = 1+s(0) = s(1+0) = s(1) = 2
Please explain. s(0) is what? Do you mean s 'times' 0 or the function s at 0. Please define s.

Alan is using something called the successor function, which essentially just means that it represents the number that comes immediately after the number in the brackets. It follows from the Peano axioms on the natural numbers.
Philophile
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Philophile »

Ben Saint-Clair wrote:
Philophile wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Alan is using something called the successor function, which essentially just means that it represents the number that comes immediately after the number in the brackets. It follows from the Peano axioms on the natural numbers.
So Alan is proving 1+1=2 by using the fact that 2 is the next number up from 1 on the natural number scale. I'm sure Peano had in mind the fact that 1+1=2 when setting up the axioms, thus using a successor function does not prove or refute 1+1=2.

One can set up any axiomatic system where 1+1= any number. The interesting question lies in relating 1+1=2 to the real observable world. Since in the real world it seems in almost all everyday cases that 1 thing + 1 thing = 2 things. This suggests a mapping between Peano's abstract axioms and the observable universe. What mapping that is i'm not sure..... Any suggestions?
Conway

Post by Conway »

Might I suggest...

It is possible to have 2 very small apples, it is possible to have 2 large apples. In both cases you have the physical number 2. But you do not have the same value. It is not that the small apples are .2 of an apple, they are full apples only containing smaller space. So then unless the space and value of all given numbers are all defined in the equation 1 + 1 = 2, then there will always be more than one sum. Albeit the sum is always the same symbol.
HZY

Post by HZY »

Ramin22 wrote:Hi. Some claim that '1+1=2' is true. It seems to me that '1+1 = 2' is like a short movie in our head. 2 dots get toghether or something like that. Now if you say this is wrong in general and point out that sometimes '1 + 1 = 3', by pointing out that if you put a man and a woman together, after 9 months there is 3 of them. Then supporters of '1 + 1 = 2', will claim that it was a wrong application of the theory. So they have a winning strategy. There is no way they can lose. They have a movie script in mind, if you make a movie that doesn't end the way their script does, they say it was not based on that script. Which is true. But then saying that their script is true doesn't make sense. Or does it?

Ramin
In quantum physics, 1+1 could theoretically equal to 3 so long as it is not affected by observation, because the act of observing 1+1 brings it back to 2.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Conway wrote:Might I suggest...

It is possible to have 2 very small apples, it is possible to have 2 large apples. In both cases you have the physical number 2. But you do not have the same value. It is not that the small apples are .2 of an apple, they are full apples only containing smaller space. So then unless the space and value of all given numbers are all defined in the equation 1 + 1 = 2, then there will always be more than one sum. Albeit the sum is always the same symbol.
We get into problems if we confuse objects with numbers. 'Two large apples' or 'a lump of clay' or the cast of Ramin's short movie are not numbers; there is no such thing as a 'physical number', numbers are abstractions.

We could use words that can also refer to physical objects as numbers, but only if we have those words refer to a class rather than objects. 'Apples' in the sense of 'members of that class of fruit' does not refer to any specific apples. We can never encounter 'apples' in the sense of 'the class of apples'; we can only encounter specific apples. Similarly, 'two apples' in the sense of 'two apples plus two apples equals four apples' does not describe any specific apples.

We may use phrases that confuse the two; that treat an apple both as an individual physical object ('very small' or 'large' or 'you see two worms') but also as an abstract class. But any confusion is in that description, not in the maths.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

There are several different issues being bandied about. The question cannot be addressed without reference to application. If you are counting then as long as you know how to count and no special rule is applied, as would be the case for example when counting a baker’s dozen, then 1 +1 will always equal two. One could attempt to ground this logically, either deductively or inductively, but all we need to do is count.

Now if I buy a breeding pair of rabbits I start with 1 male + 1 female which equals 2 rabbits. If I count again a few months later I will have more than 2 rabbits but this does not mean that 1 +1 equals more than 2. I cannot determine how many rabbits I have if it is no longer the case that 1+1 equals 2. While we are adding the rabbits are multiplying.

Now suppose I have 2 apples and 3 oranges. How many do I have? In order to answer the question we must identify the unit being counted. No matter how many oranges I add I still only have 2 apples. Once the unit that is being counted is identified then the answer can be determined unequivocally.
Conway

Post by Conway »

I am not debating the separation of abstract mathematics and application thereof. What I am saying is that the abstraction of a "number" does not define both the value and space, that the given thing, that it is intended to represent actually contains. The purpose of math is application. Therefore anything that is represented by a number does not have it's totality represented by that number. For this to occur all numbers then must contain both a value and a space. Both must be labeled. This is why the original equation can be refuted. Identifying the unit is not the totality of the truth. The unit and or "space" along with the value must both be identified.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

Let me see if this clarifies the situation.

Let's say you have one object on a table. It's doesn't matter what the object is. Then you find another object (again it doesn't matter what) and place it on the table. Now there are two objects on the table. You can repeat this process as often as you want, but not once will you be able to place one object and then another object and end up with three objects.

Every time you add one to one, you will always get two.

Why is it important that 1+1=2? Because mathematics is one of the principal tools by which we observe and quantify the physical universe. Math works.
Conway

Post by Conway »

Let's then consider the above analogy. If I place one thing on the table, and then place another like it but only smaller the sum is two. But then if I placed the same thing , and then placed another like it but only larger the sum is still two. However it is clear to all observers that in both cases the sum is not the same "value", albeit the same symbol. What the object "is" does matter. More specifically the space and value of the object. Math does not work for all scenarios, all doctorates in the subject that I have talked to have agreed on that at least.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream