Is Darwinian Evolution a "Shell Game"?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Platos stepchild

Is Darwinian Evolution a "Shell Game"?

Post by Platos stepchild »

There's something about Darwinian Evolution, which has puzzled me. First off: let me be clear about not being an "Intelligent Design" advocate, i.e. ("nut"). That's not why I'm being critical. So, ok...here's the thing: there are two, countervailing forces, acting upon the genome. The first is the tendency toward genetic integrity. If DNA is too unstable, then a species just won't survive. The second force acts upon a genome as the tendency toward genetic diversity. Regardless of whether "diversity" results from "mutations", or from "genetic drift", too little of it inevitably leads to extinction. Clearly, a "two person", zero-sum game is not being being played out, here, as you'd expect.

So, in this "game", we have countervailing forces, which are, by their very nature unstable. And yet, life clearly demonstrates that isn't true. Somehow, or another, a "negative-feedback-loop" managed to get incorporated into what was a straightforward, albeit unstable model of a genome. Even without the crunching numbers, the optimal range for any such "negative-feedback-loop" would be vanishingly small; hence the conundrum. But, once you introduce a damping mechanism, the conundrum only deepens. Science has long eschewed Plato's fourth mode of causation: final causes. That's not possible, however once such a "damping mechanism" gets considered. Einstein's "spooky action, at a distance" has nothing on the "spookiness" of wondering who's really pulling the strings, and charting our genetic destiny. What do you think; do I have a point?
Mechsmith

Re: Is Darwinian Evolution a "Shell Game"?

Post by Mechsmith »

I puzzled this for quite a while also but then I ran across a concept that speeded things up a bit.

Basically I wanted to line up a card deck AC-2C-3C >>>>To JC-QC-KC . If I tried to do it by throwing the whole deck in the air every time I'd be at it a very long time.

But if AC would stick only to 2C and AC&2C would only stick to 3C and so on it would happen a bit faster.

I envision a primordal soup full of the amino acids but they will only stick in some sort of order. Some of the ways that they will stick will prove to be potentially alive eventually. At least it isn't just three card monte.

Yes, I think that you have a point. I don't know how to do anything with it though. :(
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I think that what we see is that there is a sufficent amount of diversity in a narrow enough spectrum of consistency. For instance, a human baby might pop out with blue eyes or brown eyes or even with some weird hazel mutation-colored eyes that nobody has seen before, but the baby still pops out human (which is saying a lot since it only takes much less than 1% genetic difference to turn a human into a different species like a chimp.

Part of that behavior may have evolved as well. An animal might instinctively avoid incest while doing behaviors or having traits that keep its genes in its species or subspecies.

For the relatively few times the balance has been found, many times it has not. Most species have gone extinct, many creatures die before reproducing, and most planets/moons might not have life.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Platos stepchild

Basically I wanted to line up a card deck AC-2C-3C >>>>To JC-QC-KC . If I tried to do it by throwing the whole deck in the air every time I'd be at it a very long time.
You are, of course right. And, that's exactly where Creationists play their own, particular shell game, with science. They're just waiting for some unwary Materialist to argue that, given an eternity, whatever's possible must become actual, an infinite number of times. The counterargument is yes, this assertion is true, because, well... it's a tautology. And, by the nature of tautologies, nothing non-trivial can be deduced, from them. Therefore, those "typewriting monkeys who'll eventually churn out the complete Works of Shakespeare" can never exist.

Your proposal is, of course the correct one: there must be an affinity, between possibilities, thereby generating order from randomness. The question now becomes: "Whence this "affinity"? The Creationist/"Intelligent Design" advocate calls it God; whereas, the Materialist calls in nature. It's therefore incumbent upon both to proffer sufficient evidence to discredit the other. But, that's a whole other post. Back to this "affinity" thing, my point is that we've got to take seriously the need for such a, well..., gimmick, as "affinities" frankly are.

Without the "gimmick", though we're left with the most unstable scenario, possible: simple, diametrically opposed forces. And, as I've previously argued, the relative stability, of life belies being described by such a simplistic model. Ok; let's be honest about what Materialism is up to. It's essentially promoting a self-generating, universal order. This is something which we know to be possible, even pedestrian (at least on a limited scale). So, is it too much to speculate that our ostensibly problematical "affinities" might actually come from such "universal order"? To me, this just seems more credible, maybe even more reverential, than Jehovah intoning Fiat lux! (Let there be light!)

-- Updated September 19th, 2014, 11:39 am to add the following --
Scott wrote:I think that what we see is that there is a sufficient amount of diversity in a narrow enough spectrum of consistency. For instance, a human baby might pop out with blue eyes or brown eyes or even with some weird hazel mutation-colored eyes that nobody has seen before, but the baby still pops out human (which is saying a lot since it only takes much less than 1% genetic difference to turn a human into a different species like a chimp.

Part of that behavior may have evolved as well. An animal might instinctively avoid incest while doing behaviors or having traits that keep its genes in its species or subspecies.

For the relatively few times the balance has been found, many times it has not. Most species have gone extinct, many creatures die before reproducing, and most planets/moons might not have life.
As you say, the problem comes down to "[a] sufficient amount of diversity, [within] a narrow spectrum...". But, my point was that this is an inherently unstable scenario. "Unstable", and yet the meticulous balance between genetic "diversity", and genetic "fidelity" somehow maintains itself. 'Diversity", and "spectrums" just don't explain how that can be so.

I appreciate your insight into the important distinction, between "primary", and "secondary" characteristics. You're right: a change in something's "primary" characteristics will fundamentally change it; whereas, no change in it's "secondary" characteristics need have "fundamental" consequences. But, how does this (interesting) observation explain the dilemma of life being stable, when it ought not to be?
Treatid

Post by Treatid »

The original post mentions negative feedback...

For whatever reason we find ourselves in a universe that permits positive and negative feedback. Rather than viewing evolution as a mechanism that applies to atoms, molecules, cells and organisms; we can view it as a process that applies to combinations of negative and positive feedback.

Evolution then selects for optimum sets of feedback systems. These sets must include some counter to stability. We know that the ability to adapt to new conditions is an essential part of the process of evolution. Being overly stable leaves an organism vulnerable to a change in environment. Yet, obviously, falling apart into chaos isn't very effective (from the point of view of an organism).

The exact balance of feedback mechanisms varies, of course. Parasites generally need to adapt faster than their hosts defence mechanism, for example.

However, overall, it should be no surprise that evolution involves both positive and negative feedback systems. Without a negative feedback system you would never stop eating, or sleeping, or running from the predator...
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

I appreciate your insight into the important distinction, between "primary", and "secondary" characteristics. You're right: a change in something's "primary" characteristics will fundamentally change it; whereas, no change in it's "secondary" characteristics need have "fundamental" consequences. But, how does this (interesting) observation explain the dilemma of life being stable, when it ought not to be?
But then, you really don't believe this the root issue, do you? That is, while I'm sure the problem is interesting to you, there is underlying this the assumption that science will find things out. And so what if there is some yet undiscovered priniciple of integration working within the nature of things, it does not in the least suggest a creator God--it merely suggests another principle (notwithstanding the vacuous conversational plus that will arise for creationists politically).

the point at which things get really interesting is when forces (and physicists have no idea what a force is; it's just another pragmatic term used because, well, language must have its symbols), after 13 billion years or so, manifest value. That is when the equation becomes simply ineffable since value does not show up in our observational data. We treat value as if it does because science is absolutely silent on this-- it has nothing to say because there is nothing to observe. Thus falling in love, say, is treated as just another phenomenon. We watch the mating habits, social phenomena; the heartbeat rises,palms sweat; we talk about how love is conducive to survival and reproduction and so forth. But the question of the nature of value, love. joy, suffering, etc. is as mysterious as Being itself.

How does a force, any force, possess the predisposition for profound suffering? How is it that 13 and a half years ago Being was thrust into existence (in a manner of speaking), the same stuff of your genetic inquiries and produces the rapture of love and art and music; and the horror of torturous pain? THIS is where the real religious issues, that is, existentially significant issues (not the ones manufactured out of some medieval mentality, like the existence of God the creator. Pure fabrication.), arise.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

All I'd like to say concerning this thread is that seems to me as if the typical 'Darwinist' acts as if their theory is sufficient to explain life, when in fact it is not. Obviously there must be more to it than just genetic drift and natural selection, but since science has no clue as to what else might be at play here they take the easy way out and just assume there aren't any other unknown variables involved.

But IMO only a fool would think that genetic drift and natural selection alone are a sufficient explanation for all we see in life.
Platos stepchild

"I'm a fool [to] think that genetic drift and natural selection, alone are a sufficient explanation for all we see in life."

That's essentially my point; and, hence the dilemma of genomic stability.

--
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by Grotto19 »

I don’t think such a drift is absurd at all when you consider the trillion times a trillion (whatever that figure is) interactions occurring every moment. Large scale evolution (such as from aquatic to amphibian) takes something in the order of 10 million to 1 billion years. That is an absurd amount of generations of creatures that breed every few months. DNA shift is subtle to be sure but over 1,000,000,000,000,000 generations or so it seems almost strange that we don’t have far more diversity.

Truth be told we cannot even attempt to comprehend what that amount of time could reasonably allow for. The very brief time we have been scientifically measuring such things is so insignificant all speculation is simply that. The best evidence we have are the bones we have found, and those show a pattern which for at least the time being seems relatively consistent. We really have little else to go on because evolutionarily our recordings are but a second reflecting on a millennia.
Platos stepchild

You said: "Truth be told, we cannot even attempt to comprehend [the] amount of time [needed] for [Darwinian Evolution to occur]". It's actually a mistake to calculate the entropy-of-life, in "linear" time. What I mean is, it's wrong to imagine a series of "near misses", until voila', we finally achieve abiogenesis. In order to properly calculate the entropy-of-life, we need to consider all of the possible states, in which life might try and manifest. Many of these "states" will occur more-or-less concurrently. (Here's where a lot of those "near misses" happen). The greater the number of such "concurrent states", the less time, overall is needed for life to appear. Since life is a highly ordered process (as per the information encoded in DNA), there must be a concomitant number of such "near misses". But, time's not a problem if we view the inception of life as a fluke (or a miracle). That possibility, however is not supported by the evidence. The point is, depending upon the exact ensemble of "possible states" in which life "tries" to exist, the overall time required for that to happen may be surprisingly short. And, if the Theory of Panspermia has any credibility, the time may be "short", indeed (That's because, according to Panspermia, some of those "possible states" would'ave already occurred within our galaxy, before finally manifesting here, on Earth. Note: the formation of amino acids,in space lends credibility to those "states").

-- Updated September 25th, 2014, 8:45 am to add the following --

Why are we not allowed to delete our own posts? Why so fascist?
Nysorquaemtas
New Trial Member

Post by Nysorquaemtas »

Darwin's evolution etc is a hoax of the highest order.

That is why there is no evidence for it. That is why Dawkins talks about chances but doesn't really calculate any change. Because if he did, he would find out evolution is untrue, and, even worse, impossible.

It was ment to keep us away from anything spiritual. No, I am not a creationist, but I must say that creationists have some very good arguments against Darwinian evolution.

It is a piece of a very big puzzle.

But yes, it is a hoax.
Platos stepchild

"[Darwinian Evolution] is [indeed] a hoax", but only in that certain "teleological mechanisms", necessary for it's proper function, have been piously ignored. Science has long eschewed "final causes", as criteria for "change", out-of-fear of opening the door to, as Einstein might well call it: "spookiness-at-a-distance". And yet, without a credible "teleological mechanism", "Darwinism" must remain, at best an ad hoc explanation for biological evolution. So, "spooky", or not, we will eventually be obliged to concede that "life" at least behaves as though it has a "purpose". And, that "purpose" cannot be indefinitely "ignored", whatever it is.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

NysorquaemtasIt was ment to keep us away from anything spiritual. No, I am not a creationist, but I must say that creationists have some very good arguments against Darwinian evolution.

It is a piece of a very big puzzle.

But yes, it is a hoax.
So easily you breeze through it. You need to say a bit more.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

By selective breeding, man has created a wide variety of dogs, from poodles to Great Danes. The same process works with plant life, this is why today's pot is much more potent then in the 60's. Darwin simply observed what was happening in nature, as opposed to taking the easy way out and saying "God must have done it all". Adaptation is a fact, and is the main reason that bacteria has become resistant to penicillin.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

"Adaptation is a fact, and is the main reason that bacteria has become resistant to penicillin."Not fact; there are no facts, only theories.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream