Are we more than just particles?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: Are we more than just particles?

Post by Steve3007 »

Bohm2:
Yes, but note that in quantum teleportation the only thing that is teleported is information, not matter or energy. So it's more accurate to say that there is quantum information teleportation.
But when you get down to the level of subatomic particles that are regarded as precisely identical and interchangeable with each other, the distinction between transporting information about a particle and transporting the particle itself perhaps becomes non-physical; just mathematical semantics; two sets of terminology describing the same physical phenomenon.

I think the interesting point raised by Greta's quote from Brian Greene is when he proposes that any act which is capable of measuring the characteristics of a system (like a human being) precisely enough to copy it must, by necessity, destroy it. This sounds a little like the observation about the infamous twin-slit experiment as applied to electrons: any measurement capable of discovering which slit the electron passes through necessarily disturbs its motion to such an extent that the interference pattern is destroyed (or something roughly like that.)

I think this makes the imaginary ethical question about the rights of the person who is copied and then destroyed even more intractable and interesting. Suppose (as is possible, although staggeringly improbable) every particle in your body simultaneously found itself, through the natural mechanism of quantum tunnelling, suddenly transported to a different location in space, would we regard it as physically the same as the kinds of teleporting mechanism we've been discussing here? The quantum mechanical concepts involved are essentially the same. If so, then are we justified in regarding an original "you" as having been destroyed at the old location and a new "you" as having been created at the new location? If so, is quantum mechanics a mass murderer?

I'm being a bit facetious of course, but I think this does once again play into this strange sense of continuous personal identity that we humans seem to possess. If I were to instantly kill you and utterly destroy your physical presence in such a way that you were completely unaware of it, I assume most people would still regard this as a terrible crime. And yet, there are many senses in which this is happening all the time quite naturally.
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

Suppose... every particle in your body simultaneously found itself, through the natural mechanism of quantum tunnelling, suddenly transported to a different location in space, would we regard it as physically the same as the kinds of teleporting mechanism we've been discussing here? The quantum mechanical concepts involved are essentially the same. If so, then are we justified in regarding an original "you" as having been destroyed at the old location and a new "you" as having been created at the new location? If so, is quantum mechanics a mass murderer?

I'm being a bit facetious of course, but I think this does once again play into this strange sense of continuous personal identity that we humans seem to possess.
The situation Steve3007 describes is facetious ONLY because we so utterly take for granted the persistence of personal identity, even though our best scientific evidence suggests we are being completely "re-created" in every Planck-time moment. Indeed we don't even have to get so abstract: Biologists tell us no individual cell anywhere in the human body lives more than 7 years, meaning no physical part of us remains from what we physically were seven years earlier.

From there, one can readily argue that the subjective persistence of personal identity is the ONLY criterion for avoiding the charge of mass murder, WHATEVER be the nature of that subjective sense of persistence. To my mind this comes very close to begging a Platonic explanation for identity, but fortunately (for me who holds his nose around Platonism) subjective identity is more likely an emergent effect of the sheer complexity of all that quantum-level interactive soup.

But in that case, the legal implications of duplication go well beyond quantum-mechanical phenomena. For example, future scenarios of transmuting personalities into digital facsimiles (e.g., computerized brains) potentially become an open target for the same issue.
HZY

Post by HZY »

DaveyMc wrote:I was watching the film 'The Fly', the other day and it got me thinking... Suppose we were able to invent a machine that could copy and assimilate every particle in the human body, in other words create a duplicate human being. Let us say you are scanned and then every electron, proton and neutron in your body was recreated in exactly the same position in a chamber. My question is this, would the recreation (obviously physically identical), firstly even be alive? and secondly if it is alive would it also have your personality, knowledge and even your memories?
Haven't you seen the movie "The Prestige"? Your first act would most likely be trying to kill "yourself".
DaveyMc
New Trial Member

Post by DaveyMc »

My opinion on this as that our copy would be identical in every detail to the host, including all of the information required to create our personality, memories and knowledge. If this was not so then the implication is that there is a component of a human being in addition to the particles that make us up. It is remarkable that seemingly inanimate matter is able to store information. We see examples of how matter can store information, look no further than our pc's. Also we see information stored genetically which also includes instinctive knowledge which can be passed from parent to offspring. So it appears that every facet or our intellect, personality, memories and so on, is some form of coded information. If we were clever enough we could determine the code which provides certain knowledge, personality, behaviour and memories. So in principle we could create a customised human being with Einstein's IQ and all the knowledge mankind has discovered.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

DaveyMc wrote:I was watching the film 'The Fly', the other day and it got me thinking... Suppose we were able to invent a machine that could copy and assimilate every particle in the human body, in other words create a duplicate human being. Let us say you are scanned and then every electron, proton and neutron in your body was recreated in exactly the same position in a chamber. My question is this, would the recreation (obviously physically identical), firstly even be alive? and secondly if it is alive would it also have your personality, knowledge and even your memories?

Well, memories are both chemical and electrical, so the particles would have to have the same charge for it to really be you.
"As usual... it depends."
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

It's your phantasy, it's completely up to you.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

DaveyMc wrote:My opinion on this as that our copy would be identical in every detail to the host, including all of the information required to create our personality, memories and knowledge. If this was not so then the implication is that there is a component of a human being in addition to the particles that make us up. It is remarkable that seemingly inanimate matter is able to store information. We see examples of how matter can store information, look no further than our pc's. Also we see information stored genetically which also includes instinctive knowledge which can be passed from parent to offspring. So it appears that every facet or our intellect, personality, memories and so on, is some form of coded information. If we were clever enough we could determine the code which provides certain knowledge, personality, behaviour and memories. So in principle we could create a customised human being with Einstein's IQ and all the knowledge mankind has discovered.
I agree with you, but I have a slight problem with this part of your post: "If this was not so then the implication is that there is a component of a human being in addition to the particles that make us up." I would substitute the more broad and encompassing terms "matter" or "material" in place of the more detailed and descriptive term "particles". "Particle" is merely the peculiar way that we cognize and perceive certain matter. Other kinds of matter we cannot perceive or even cognize as any kind of "particle" at all, or even as "material" or "matter" at all.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Hmmmm ...

Seth Brundle: You have to leave now, and never come back here. Have you ever heard of insect politics? Neither have I. Insects... don't have politics. They're very... brutal. No compassion, no compromise. We can't trust the insect. I'd like to become the first... insect politician. Y'see, I'd like to, but... I'm afraid, uh...
Ronnie: I don't know what you're trying to say.
Seth Brundle: I'm saying... I'm saying I - I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over... and the insect is awake.
Ronnie: No. no, Seth...
Seth Brundle: I'm saying... I'll hurt you if you stay.
Yep, the movie definitely poses questions that would make a scientist uncomfortable. Questions they would just as soon ignore.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Theophane wrote: Yep, the movie definitely poses questions that would make a scientist uncomfortable. Questions they would just as soon ignore.
I don't think a real scientist would give it a second thought. Some questions deserve to be ignored.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Brundle-Fly:
Insects... don't have politics. They're very... brutal. No compassion, no compromise. We can't trust the insect. I'd like to become the first... insect politician.
I disagree with Brundle-Fly when he concludes here that we can't trust insects. I would have thought their lack of political ability makes them predictable, and therefore trustworthy. You may not like what the insect is going to do, but at least you can trust him to do it.
HZY

Post by HZY »

If you create one robotic puppy, and another one, and another one, and so on ad infinitum, eventually one will develop a personality, and you wouldn't why.
Theophane

Post by Theophane »

Steve3007 wrote:Brundle-Fly:
Insects... don't have politics. They're very... brutal. No compassion, no compromise. We can't trust the insect. I'd like to become the first... insect politician.
I disagree with Brundle-Fly when he concludes here that we can't trust insects. I would have thought their lack of political ability makes them predictable, and therefore trustworthy. You may not like what the insect is going to do, but at least you can trust him to do it.
But there can be no reasoning with the insect, no appeals to decency or fairness. I think that's Brundle-Fly was trying to impart to Veronica while he was still Brundle enough to do so.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Theopane:

Yes, that is true and I admit I was being slightly mischievous by commenting on the letter of what Seth said rather than the spirit of it.

We can trust an insect to behave in a certain way because we know that it is following a set of instructions and can be relied on not to be swayed from them. Its code of conduct is non-negotiable. It is, as it were, written in stone. It cannot be reasoned with. Clearly this is not the meaning of the word "trust" that he meant. Perhaps, rather than saying they can't be trusted he should have said they can't be negotiated with. But he was in a stressful situation. Perhaps not in a frame of mind for proper philosophical reflection!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

So, you can't negotiate with an insect. Is there no limit to what we can discover through serious philosophy?
Theophane

Post by Theophane »

All work and no play make philosophy a dull boy. :P

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream