The Michelson- Morley experiment was a fraud

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: The Michelson- Morley experiment was a fraud

Post by Steve3007 »

Oh dear. I fear I may have just given away a little April Fool joke that I've been playing. Never mind.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dolphin42 wrote: I think you might be after that "class clown" crown yourself!
Harbal has the title in the bag.
Lyle wayne moss
New Trial Member

Post by Lyle wayne moss »

I've never understood MMX very well because the aether itself was NOT supposed to interact with anything - it was just supposed to be a medium that allowed electromagnetic waves to move from place to place - sort of like a copper wire that allowed electrons to move. Right? So why would you imagine a non-interacting medium to produce " a wind "??

Even if there WAS a resistance, would not the forward West to East motion of the Earth impart its momentum to the 'upstream traveling' light beam? And wouldn't this momentum cancel out any resistance?
Cogito ergo sum
Favorite Philosopher: Karl Popper

Post by Cogito ergo sum »

DarwinX wrote:The Michelson - Morley experiment result is false because they measured light travelling in two directions at the same time. The Michelson - Morley experiment used mirrors to reflect light back in two directions which would have cancelled out any aether shift time difference. Therefore, we can say that the experiment was poorly conducted and didn't either prove or disprove the existence of an aether. Until they can devise an experiment which measures light in one direction, the question of whether there is an aether or isn't an aether, will remain unsolved. Note - Scientists already have conceded that measuring light in one direction is impossible, so I guess we will never know.

I thought you believed in absolute time? what is an aether time shift? What is your definition of aether? I feel like you have trouble understanding what science is and that the majority of these calculations are close approximations. What is your understanding of calculus? look at some calculus equations they are mostly approximations, or smaller and smaller increments of space that you allow to go to infinity. For example if I want to get to the number 1 I first have to have the number 0.9. If I add another nine after that I get closer and closer to the number one but not quite there. (0.99,0.999,0.9999...0.9999999999 ect.) But I am sure you are skeptical about calculus and how Newton and Liebnoz where frauds who had some secret plan to confuse people with their bizarre Mathematics.
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

What a bunch of crap. Moderators, can't you enforce some rules of relevance and intellectual integrity? I mean, this thread is ****. Verbal diarrea. The original poster raised a serous question worthy of critical discussion, and this is the treatment he gets. What does this say about the intellectual integrity of your site?

Incredible as it may sound, some of us come here seeking intelligent discussion and - who know? - perhaps even enlightenment. Okay, I know that for the Online Philosophy Club, this might be out of left field...

-- Updated Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 am to add the following --

What a bunch of crap. Moderators, can't you enforce some standards of scientific credibility and objectivity? After the initial question, so far as I can see, only Logicus had anything of scientific value to contritbute to the discussion. The others had only verbal diarrea.

I come to this site looking for intelligent discussion. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people?
Cogito ergo sum
Favorite Philosopher: Karl Popper

Post by Cogito ergo sum »

Alan Masterman wrote:What a bunch of crap. Moderators, can't you enforce some rules of relevance and intellectual integrity? I mean, this thread is ****. Verbal diarrea. The original poster raised a serous question worthy of critical discussion, and this is the treatment he gets. What does this say about the intellectual integrity of your site?

Incredible as it may sound, some of us come here seeking intelligent discussion and - who know? - perhaps even enlightenment. Okay, I know that for the Online Philosophy Club, this might be out of left field...

-- Updated Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 am to add the following --

What a bunch of crap. Moderators, can't you enforce some standards of scientific credibility and objectivity? After the initial question, so far as I can see, only Logicus had anything of scientific value to contritbute to the discussion. The others had only verbal diarrea.

I come to this site looking for intelligent discussion. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people?
I do agree with you that the dialogue could have gone better and laid out In a more philosophically pleasing manner. That being said many of Darwins posts are based on anti-semitisn and pseudoscience that have no foundation or credibility. His views on many scientific discoveries are completely skewed and incorrect. The claim that the Michelson and Morley experiment is a fraud is a false statement to begin with. You could say that the experiment was poorly executed or they were working with what they had at the time but if you piece together his other posts you will find his philosophy is based on the idea of a new world order, suppression of knowledge, misunderstandings of scientific verbiage, lack of understanding of basic mathematics and the list goes on. No real scientist is saying that aether doesn't exist. This whole post comes from his misinterpretation of what a vacum is and a general lack of understanding that much of scientific information outside academia are just close approximatios to satisfy the general audience of scientific inquiry. I have asked him many times to come up with better ways to test and experiment these topics he brings up and so far I have received nothing.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Darwin's "aether" appears very similar to the idea of a "Void" that we have been discussing in the "Metaphysics" section, which is also similar to the Eastern idea of a "Tao". I bring this up because the "Void" and the "Tao" are elucidated much more intelligently than the "aether" usually is, but all three concepts appear to be saying the same thing - that there is something existing in the Universe which is beyond human comprehension and perception, but which is essential to both....
Paradigmer

Post by Paradigmer »

DarwinX wrote:The Michelson - Morley experiment result is false because they measured light travelling in two directions at the same time. The Michelson - Morley experiment used mirrors to reflect light back in two directions which would have cancelled out any aether shift time difference. Therefore, we can say that the experiment was poorly conducted and didn't either prove or disprove the existence of an aether. Until they can devise an experiment which measures light in one direction, the question of whether there is an aether or isn't an aether, will remain unsolved. Note - Scientists already have conceded that measuring light in one direction is impossible, so I guess we will never know.
There is a website by James DeMeo, PhD. on "Dayton Miller's Ether-Drift Experiments: A Fresh Look", it elaborates on the Dayton Miller's light-beam interferometer that recorded positive findings for the existence of ether.

Hi, am new here, the forum does not allow me to post links till 10 posts are made. Google on "Dayton Miller's Ether-Drift Experiments" and you should find it.
Dexter3150
New Trial Member

Post by Dexter3150 »

I have new evidence that I have published in a peer-reviewed Physics journal that confirms the detection of the Aether by Michelson-Morley and Miller (Mt Wilson) and agrees with the magnitude of the Aether wind determined by Cahill of around 486km/sec. Please carefully read and understand the explanation and maths presented in this paper:

Find a link to the paper on my webpage here, or look up the reference details below (remove spaces): https:// www energyfieldtheory com/copy-of-my-papers

Reference: Traill, D. (2022) The Light Timing Calculations of the Interferometer in the Quest to Detect Light Speed Anisotropy and a Case Study of the Michelson-Morley and Miller Mt Wilson Experiments. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, 10, 802-827. doi: 10.4236/jamp.2022.103055.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

DarwinX wrote: March 29th, 2015, 9:21 am The Michelson - Morley experiment result is false because they measured light travelling in two directions at the same time. The Michelson - Morley experiment used mirrors to reflect light back in two directions which would have cancelled out any aether shift time difference. Therefore, we can say that the experiment was poorly conducted and didn't either prove or disprove the existence of an aether. Until they can devise an experiment which measures light in one direction, the question of whether there is an aether or isn't an aether, will remain unsolved. Note - Scientists already have conceded that measuring light in one direction is impossible, so I guess we will never know.
Why would the two direction measurement have canceled out aether drift. If you measure the speed of sound in still air, by reflecting it from a wall you get a different value than in moving air.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream